September 15, 2023 Valley 0 - 35 Wheelersburg

FIDO
S

Re: September 15, 2023 Valley - Wheelersburg

Post by FIDO »

Quality vs quantity

As alluded on another thread socioeconomics plays a tremendous role in most of the surrounding counties and their school's lack of success. Older communities with older populations had their talented kids fly the coup for greener pastures. No job, no future, no stability and no ability to sustain K-12 growth, as far as athletics.

ohioripper
Waterboy

Post by ohioripper »

FIDO wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:00 am Quality vs quantity

As alluded on another thread socioeconomics plays a tremendous role in most of the surrounding counties and their school's lack of success. Older communities with older populations had their talented kids fly the coup for greener pastures. No job, no future, no stability and no ability to sustain K-12 growth, as far as athletics.
I don't think this is necessarily true with Valley if that's who you are alluding to. Proof point would be their basketball, baseball, and soccer records the past several years. 1 or 2 kids have transferred out but with a CB score of 9, obviously some have transferred in.

Football is a different beast. Northwest in the 80s was very successful in baseball and sporadically have been in basketball thru the years...but football? Only until they dropped Waverly, West, and Wheelersburg from the schedule did "success" (thru record) come. When you play in the SOC2 and you are not a top dog, you have 3-4 losses automatically on your schedule. For the life of me I don't know why changes in basketball and baseball occurred. The SOC2 was a solid league in those 2 sports by and large. Football was the sport I feel that needed a realignment and yet it hasn't happened.

NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

Izladoom wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:43 am I don’t like how they set the divisions up it doesn’t matter how many boys you have at the school if they don’t play sports I think they should go by how many kids actually play maybe do something like a 2 year average turnout or something but the players should not be basically punished just because the school has a bunch of boys that don’t play any sports
Agree 100%

Valley91
Waterboy

Post by Valley91 »

greygoose wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:39 pm
ValleyStrong wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:23 am
greygoose wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:37 pm

No offense here but the #'s aren't deciding this game, Burg isn't going to wear Valley out and that's what'll decide the game. Burg is just simply better than Valley across the board should be a running clock in the 2nd half. I hope they can keep plugging away as it will be a tough year if the coach can keep them strong moving forward hopefully the results will payoff. You are correct in that something should be done in the SOC but it's not 3 divisions not with the current setup, only way you pull that off is if the SOC and OVC combine which I do believe is the answer.

#'s is everything! What is the State CB #'s for Burg? For Valley? Numbers decide a lot. Valley will play hard, and be well prepared, but balance the CB #'s/ and division sizes.
#'s is everything? It would if talent level is equal and you're saying one team simply wore down another. What's the numbers for Portsmouth, Piketon, a DVI Coal Grove team? See numbers aren't everything if you've got the horses to lineup and play a larger team you will compete just Valley isn't there right now no knock on them at all. It's just to say numbers are deciding this game seems a bit strange because you're making it sound like if it wasn't for Burg having more kids that Valley would be right there with them and that's not the case this year.
Valley isn’t much smaller now compared to the years they was winning around 2012-15. They don’t have the boys that want to put in the time and play. When a team is winning everyone wants to be apart of it but then when the losing seasons start they all jump ship.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

TomUnessa wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:25 pm
RBH23 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:15 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:23 pm

Plus, Burg’s freshmen also dress on Friday nights. They didn’t in the past. My freshmen year, we had 22-25 kids on the team. We had our own locker room, practiced on the baseball outfield, and played our own schedule. We weren’t part of the JV/Varsity teams whatsoever. Take those 22-25 kids off the sidelines on Fridays and Burg’s varsity team shrinks to about 45 kids. Only on a rare occasion would a freshmen play up on Varsity. But if they did, they definitely didn’t play freshman ball.
Remember those days…

I don’t recall any freshman playing varsity in those days; none of us even dressed. Although we did get into the varsity games for free.
Lol remember those practices on the baseball outfield. Reserves played their games on Mondays while us freshmen held the blow bags for the varsity. We were sacrifices on those Mondays but I Don’t remember anyone complaining. It was just something you knew you was gonna have to do as a freshman.
Blow bag day sucked, especially since those in the secondary didn’t get one. Accidentally intercepted a pass once (was a deflection that fell directly into my arms). That was a mistake.

Valley91
Waterboy

Post by Valley91 »

Dan-The-Man wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:08 am I’ve been a vocal supporter of this staff and program because this season has been coming for a long time. The senior class was never deep in any sport, and that’s been the case in all sports not just football. I think Copley will be the only senior on the baseball field. The junior class has some nice players but there’s not many of them either, this has also been a thing for many years. If all of the 8th graders play next year that gives Valley a roster of 45 or so, if they all stick with it. Looking back, I don’t remember the last time Valley had more than 40 kids. Has to be close to 6-7 years. If those numbers hold then I’d assume they will be able to play JV again. Having talked to Nolan, I know that’s a huge priority for him. But you have a lot of kids from different areas, the “bottoms” included in that. I see multiple kids playing football and soccer. I know Valley started a powerlifting team last year and have heard plans on them growing that. I have boys in the pipeline and understand that this is going to take a year or two. As mentioned above, it’s not easy when you have kids seeing or talking transfer because of those big programs. But this Valley staff is smart and energetic and seem committed to turning this around. This was a job that no big names coach wanted. One of the final guys is on staff and another according to rumors and other threads has been trying to get out of games at Oak Hill. I’ll keep plugging for these guys because I think it helps things long term. Darren went through tough times at the beginning and had a few rough years along the way, including a 1-9 right after a lot of playoff runs. I’ll keep saying it, sometimes you don’t have the talent but I think there’s talent here it’s just not ready for varsity.
100% agree they are not ready for varsity. The way I see it is they are a jv team playing a varsity schedule

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

Valley91 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:25 am
ValleyStrong wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:23 am

#'s is everything! What is the State CB #'s for Burg? For Valley? Numbers decide a lot. Valley will play hard, and be well prepared, but balance the CB #'s/ and division sizes.
#'s is everything? It would if talent level is equal and you're saying one team simply wore down another. What's the numbers for Portsmouth, Piketon, a DVI Coal Grove team? See numbers aren't everything if you've got the horses to lineup and play a larger team you will compete just Valley isn't there right now no knock on them at all. It's just to say numbers are deciding this game seems a bit strange because you're making it sound like if it wasn't for Burg having more kids that Valley would be right there with them and that's not the case this year.
Valley isn’t much smaller now compared to the years they was winning around 2012-15. They don’t have the boys that want to put in the time and play. When a team is winning everyone wants to be apart of it but then when the losing seasons start they all jump ship.

I don’t think the losing is hurting the numbers I think it’s the personalities of the students that has changed over the years the kids are just not die hard football fans like before valley is one of if not the most progressive schools around with most students more into watching tick tock than wanting to suit up on fridays and hit someone this has been a conversation I have had with several members of the community some have boys but they have zero interest in sports just want to make videos and play games valley will always have some of the best skill kids in the county but the lack of quality lineman will hold them back when I was in school we was angry and you took those frustrations out on the field now they see a therapist we are not the same

BTWNTHE__
Varsity

Post by BTWNTHE__ »

Izladoom wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:09 am
Valley91 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:25 am

I don’t think the losing is hurting the numbers I think it’s the personalities of the students that has changed over the years the kids are just not die hard football fans like before valley is one of if not the most progressive schools around with most students more into watching tick tock than wanting to suit up on fridays and hit someone this has been a conversation I have had with several members of the community some have boys but they have zero interest in sports just want to make videos and play games valley will always have some of the best skill kids in the county but the lack of quality lineman will hold them back when I was in school we was angry and you took those frustrations out on the field now they see a therapist we are not the same
Awful lotta stereotypical tropes here. Sounds like an out of touch old guy.

Life isnt that black and white my man.Touch grass. Smh.

cm57smits
Waterboy

Post by cm57smits »

Does Valley stream their games?

cm57smits
Waterboy

Post by cm57smits »

Thx..

Dan-The-Man
Riding the Bench

Post by Dan-The-Man »

Big crowd tonight! Good luck Indians!

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Burg just went for it on 4th ans 3 at own 25.....75 yard TD.

14-0 Pirates

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Burg goes again on 4th and 6...gets the 1st on a long screen

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

A lot closer than most thought it would be

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Izladoom wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:24 pm A lot closer than most thought it would be
It was 35-0 at half. Running clock from then on. Valley had one chance to score late but the defense held and that was in 4th Qtr when starters were pulled. Valley is very young and I think will be good next year and definitely in two years but this wasn’t close at all.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Congrats BURG. Good effort by the young Indians.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
Dan-The-Man
Riding the Bench

Post by Dan-The-Man »

Valley had 1 or 2 opportunities late in the second quarter where they got inside the 15 or so. The Waughtel kid made some nice plays. I think Crabtree uses him really well. You can tell they look for matchups with him.

Valley played hard. Burg was just better. And it was good to see them play it to a draw in the second half because Burg’s backups are probably the same age as Valley’s starters. Haha

Ironmen98
All State

Post by Ironmen98 »

Dan-The-Man wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:55 am Valley had 1 or 2 opportunities late in the second quarter where they got inside the 15 or so. The Waughtel kid made some nice plays. I think Crabtree uses him really well. You can tell they look for matchups with him.

Valley played hard. Burg was just better. And it was good to see them play it to a draw in the second half because Burg’s backups are probably the same age as Valley’s starters. Haha
Wow, much closer than I thought. Good effort by Valley.

ohioripper
Waterboy

Post by ohioripper »

A few of Valley's games would have been closer if they could punch it in inside the 15 and closer. Not saying they would have won any of them, but the scores would've looked better.

Return to “Football”