September 15, 2023 Waverly 21 - 24 Portsmouth West

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: Week 5: West (3-1) at Waverly (3-1) Saturday

Post by smurray »

allaboutsports wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:27 pm
smurray wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:45 pm
YouCantBeSerious wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:06 pm Wow…. Waverly’s defense was great tonight. Waverly had 5 turnovers (I think) and many many opportunities in the red zone to put points on the board and came up empty. Other than a handful of plays, Waverly offense was horrendous, their line play was inconsistent and QB play was pretty rough with the exception of a few plays. West played hard and took care of business, they have great momentum going into the second half of the season and are setting themselves up to a defend their SOC 2 title.

Waverly has to find a way to move on mentally. This coming week would be a great game to get them back on track with Oak Hill but I have little to no confidence that game will be played. There is still a chance for them to share a part of the SOC title, hopefully the coaches can get them refocused in the coming days.

Will be curious to see how the rest of the season plays out for both of these teams. For Waverly, you have to stick with your same personnel that you have been going with offensively all year, but if things don’t improve by years end, do you start to reevaluate some positions? I don’t think it would happen… but if the trend continues I believe the coaches need to have those hard conversations. Maybe that’s just aggravation from the way the game was played tonight, but then again I’m not so sure.
6 Turnovers: 2 Fumbles and the 4 INT's.
Funny you fail to mention all the flags when we are in red zone. And how our defense gave up big plays and special teams.
I was simply correcting his statement about 5 turnovers, it was 6.

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Post by YouCantBeSerious »

allaboutsports wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:27 pm
YouCantBeSerious wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:06 pm Wow…. Waverly’s defense was great tonight. Waverly had 5 turnovers (I think) and many many opportunities in the red zone to put points on the board and came up empty. Other than a handful of plays, Waverly offense was horrendous, their line play was inconsistent and QB play was pretty rough with the exception of a few plays. West played hard and took care of business, they have great momentum going into the second half of the season and are setting themselves up to a defend their SOC 2 title.

Waverly has to find a way to move on mentally. This coming week would be a great game to get them back on track with Oak Hill but I have little to no confidence that game will be played. There is still a chance for them to share a part of the SOC title, hopefully the coaches can get them refocused in the coming days.

Will be curious to see how the rest of the season plays out for both of these teams. For Waverly, you have to stick with your same personnel that you have been going with offensively all year, but if things don’t improve by years end, do you start to reevaluate some positions? I don’t think it would happen… but if the trend continues I believe the coaches need to have those hard conversations. Maybe that’s just aggravation from the way the game was played tonight, but then again I’m not so sure.
Funny you fail to mention all the flags when we are in red zone. And how our defense gave up big plays and special teams.
The defense played great considering how much they were on the field. They only have up 17. Which should have won them the game.

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

YouCantBeSerious wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:38 pm
SiderBlood wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:34 pm Lucky to make it out of that one. Always happy with a win but I have seen better. Honestly I think both coaching staffs had some head scratchers tonight. This is the first time I will really question the coaching staff in a long time. I just don’t feel the play calling was up to par with what it has been. Stayed away from what was working, and kept forcing what wasn’t. I thought the possession before half was poorly managed. The penalties were ridiculous. And I really do hate critiquing especially since we are playing tonight because of a lack of officials. I am by no means suggesting that we did not commit penalties but no one will convince me that it was not blatantly lop sided. This is a very under penalizes team, but somehow every year we get hosed on this field.

Why in the world would you throw anywhere near Bishop? 4 interceptions, fumble recovery, recieving touchdown, and a kickoff return for TD. Just crazy stats all the way.

A lot of critiques for both sides. But that is two good teams that collided, someone has to win and lose. 90 percent of the time the SOC is going to run through the three Ws. Someone had to lose tonight. As far as being ready to face Burg, with tonight’s showing neither one is ready. But we aren’t concerned with that the moment. Same was said last year in a close one with waverly and we got it right by week 10. Have to worry about Minford first. Good win Siders
Would like to see the penalty numbers, I honestly thought they threw them both ways. Maybe stats will be shown sometime for us.
I’m sure smurray has the numbers. I would be surprised if waverly had half the penalty yards as us.

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
allaboutsports
Riding the Bench

Post by allaboutsports »

Wakefield.Warrior wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:53 pm 😂 keep throwing in the direction of 18!! Wow, is all I’m going say!!
I agree with you why keep calling plays to his side. Crazy part is he is just making great plays on the ball. That kid is a stud and no reason to ever throw at him. He had a great game congrats to that young man great ball player.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

The fact we had 6 turnovers and only lost by 3 is absurd, defense played well enough to give the offense opportunities but the miscues costed us. Not taking away a solid win on the road from West. They did what they needed to do, force kelly into mistakes and it happened. Best of luck to them, plenty of games left for Waverly to improve as we cross the halfway mark

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I understand the logic but West had its share of miscues. Neither team played a clean game.

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

West was very lucky to escape with the W.
#18 Bishop was a one man game changer.
Great Football player.

WWE HALL OF FAME
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

MrPerfect wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:02 am West was very lucky to escape with the W.
#18 Bishop was a one man game changer.
Great Football player.
No doubt about it. I dont understand why 22 for the tigers didn't get as many carries as the qb had passes. He was a stud that was underutilized, IMO

MrPerfect
Freshman Team

Post by MrPerfect »

Yes, #22 was really underutilized. Very nice RB. I may have even threw him a few out of the backfield. Waverly QB definitely had some growing pains tonight. IMO West needs to pass more going further. #18 saved the game for them, Can’t say enough about that young man. Shout out to SOSA for steaming the game for us old folks.

WWE HALL OF FAME
Olebud
Waterboy

Post by Olebud »

Most of the time a dog fight doesn’t turn out pretty for either side. Very proud to get out of there with a Win. I feel
watching that one the officials was more 1 sided. Hard fought game, wasn’t pretty at all but what a battle. My opinion only, but I believe too many ppl get wrapped in scores to predict outcomes of games down the schedule. At the end of the day they are kids, u never know what kid you’re getting that night. Senators, stay on track and take it 1 game at time. We will worry about week 10 when week 10 gets here. Shout out to the Hurd boys, wish u guys was still with us. And I still believe Q #4 should be playing Qb, the kids has always been able to thread the needle.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

Tough loss for my Tigers but I believe it's time to clear some of this mess up of who did this, who did that, why do we get penalties at Waverly yada yada because some posters on here seem to think it's some cut and dry thing. Let's just start with I've always felt that when scheduling gets messed up like this game did in getting switched to Saturday it really messes with the players as it's an adjustment and I believe that's why you see more mistakes being made and as you can see both teams were messing up. Waverly got hit with the big penalties at costly times that pushed them behind the sticks, how do you get illegal man downfield on a 1 step and throw pass? We had 2 touchdowns called back by different players that help lead the way, 84 with a block in the back getting a TD called back was a legit call, 2 lineman with a HUGE blocking mistake on the cut block that got a TD called back again legit call from what I could see. As far as West goes if you line up with 5 guys in the backfield that's on you and that's an easy call, pass interference on Bishop was a legit call and probably a good play as it prevented a TD, holding call on a QB sneak outside by Bishop once again a legit call can't get your hands outside the DBs shoulder pads and get away with it. Illegal motion plays pretty easy to call so some from West can "think" they were clean and shouldn't be penalized because they don't get penalized that much in other games but all of those plays mentioned easy calls.

Next to poster wanting to talk about the off-season and how maybe certain starting positions should be evaluated, I'd love to hear who you're talking about because obviously they can't be seniors. At the same time we're halfway through this season and there's not a single person out thinking about next year so to even mention it might be one of the craziest thoughts put out there. Waverly's defense played great giving up 17 points given the positions they were put in all night they could've easily folded and gotten beat by 28 but they do what they always do they fight, claw and make plays and once again as the game went on when stops were needed they made those stops.

There was simply too many mistakes made to overcome the turnovers were killers and Bishop was a 1 man wrecking machine but some of those plays he made for INT's there's very few that are going to make that play so hats off to him. #6 did give up a TD, I think he's allowed to make a mistake given the season he's had up until that 1 play if you watch that play both safeties come up on the run fake basically leaving him on an island, West with a nice play call as I'm sure after the turnover everyone was thinking run. Again 84 with a block in the back mental mistake but it cost us a TD, lineman with another TD called back, special teams not making a tackle on a kickoff return. Interceptions thrown, couple fumbles lost bottom line I'm getting at is if ppl want to "blame" there's plenty to go around, how do we not field the punt at the end of the ball game and just let it roll?? Even though there was a penalty it cost precious time yet another costly mistake and huge mental era. These are young kids that everyone seems like they feel they should play perfect on every play every game and that's simply not something that will EVER happen you just hope to overcome those mistakes and we were what 18 yards away or so from overcoming the mistakes. Had we pulled it out no one would be saying anything this is just how this game works no one remembers the great plays made to keep it a game they get hung up on the 1-2-3 plays that went wrong in a game where 100 plus plays are ran every game.

Now since some want to hand out blame let's hand it out to the coaches now because by god this was a team effort from top to bottom and we probably should be sitting undefeated if not for some coaching mistakes. We lined up 84 against 18 pretty much all night why?? Do they not have the ability to see this, as everyone in the stands did or was it selfish pride thinking our guy is better than yours, you give your team the best option this was very costly. Before half 7 seconds to go you have 1 play then kick the FG, it's a quick throw up to the corner or down the middle to the big TE no other play is called you can't run crossing routes and ask the QB to sit in the pocket cost us points possibly. Next the kickoff, our kickoff coverage has been bad all year long and we kick it to west best player, why?? Just killed our momentum for no reason, learn how to kick it somewhere else other than the far-right corner of the kicking team or be able to pooch it right over the first line of defense. Could've had a onside kick on the first kickoff where everyone was up and 2 return guys were deep but did the coaches have him pooch it nope kicked a line drive.

Long rant I know but I figured I'd sum it all up in 1 shot as this was a game where every single player and coach had a hand in not being able to pull this out. Ppl said all week long West was too big they'd lean on Waverly and run it right down our throats, West had 84 yards at half, now some of that I felt was because West tried getting cute by using the QB runs which outside of 1 run didn't work instead of just handing off to the back. That's for another day, for now we live, we learn (and this includes the coaches and the play calling which honestly has sucked this year) we regroup as a team pick each other up and get ready for Oak Hill if we play. Love you all pick your heads up and get ready to strap it up this ones behind us.

YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:09 am Tough loss for my Tigers but I believe it's time to clear some of this mess up of who did this, who did that, why do we get penalties at Waverly yada yada because some posters on here seem to think it's some cut and dry thing. Let's just start with I've always felt that when scheduling gets messed up like this game did in getting switched to Saturday it really messes with the players as it's an adjustment and I believe that's why you see more mistakes being made and as you can see both teams were messing up. Waverly got hit with the big penalties at costly times that pushed them behind the sticks, how do you get illegal man downfield on a 1 step and throw pass? We had 2 touchdowns called back by different players that help lead the way, 84 with a block in the back getting a TD called back was a legit call, 2 lineman with a HUGE blocking mistake on the cut block that got a TD called back again legit call from what I could see. As far as West goes if you line up with 5 guys in the backfield that's on you and that's an easy call, pass interference on Bishop was a legit call and probably a good play as it prevented a TD, holding call on a QB sneak outside by Bishop once again a legit call can't get your hands outside the DBs shoulder pads and get away with it. Illegal motion plays pretty easy to call so some from West can "think" they were clean and shouldn't be penalized because they don't get penalized that much in other games but all of those plays mentioned easy calls.

Next to poster wanting to talk about the off-season and how maybe certain starting positions should be evaluated, I'd love to hear who you're talking about because obviously they can't be seniors. At the same time we're halfway through this season and there's not a single person out thinking about next year so to even mention it might be one of the craziest thoughts put out there. Waverly's defense played great giving up 17 points given the positions they were put in all night they could've easily folded and gotten beat by 28 but they do what they always do they fight, claw and make plays and once again as the game went on when stops were needed they made those stops.

There was simply too many mistakes made to overcome the turnovers were killers and Bishop was a 1 man wrecking machine but some of those plays he made for INT's there's very few that are going to make that play so hats off to him. #6 did give up a TD, I think he's allowed to make a mistake given the season he's had up until that 1 play if you watch that play both safeties come up on the run fake basically leaving him on an island, West with a nice play call as I'm sure after the turnover everyone was thinking run. Again 84 with a block in the back mental mistake but it cost us a TD, lineman with another TD called back, special teams not making a tackle on a kickoff return. Interceptions thrown, couple fumbles lost bottom line I'm getting at is if ppl want to "blame" there's plenty to go around, how do we not field the punt at the end of the ball game and just let it roll?? Even though there was a penalty it cost precious time yet another costly mistake and huge mental era. These are young kids that everyone seems like they feel they should play perfect on every play every game and that's simply not something that will EVER happen you just hope to overcome those mistakes and we were what 18 yards away or so from overcoming the mistakes. Had we pulled it out no one would be saying anything this is just how this game works no one remembers the great plays made to keep it a game they get hung up on the 1-2-3 plays that went wrong in a game where 100 plus plays are ran every game.

Now since some want to hand out blame let's hand it out to the coaches now because by god this was a team effort from top to bottom and we probably should be sitting undefeated if not for some coaching mistakes. We lined up 84 against 18 pretty much all night why?? Do they not have the ability to see this, as everyone in the stands did or was it selfish pride thinking our guy is better than yours, you give your team the best option this was very costly. Before half 7 seconds to go you have 1 play then kick the FG, it's a quick throw up to the corner or down the middle to the big TE no other play is called you can't run crossing routes and ask the QB to sit in the pocket cost us points possibly. Next the kickoff, our kickoff coverage has been bad all year long and we kick it to west best player, why?? Just killed our momentum for no reason, learn how to kick it somewhere else other than the far-right corner of the kicking team or be able to pooch it right over the first line of defense. Could've had a onside kick on the first kickoff where everyone was up and 2 return guys were deep but did the coaches have him pooch it nope kicked a line drive.

Long rant I know but I figured I'd sum it all up in 1 shot as this was a game where every single player and coach had a hand in not being able to pull this out. Ppl said all week long West was too big they'd lean on Waverly and run it right down our throats, West had 84 yards at half, now some of that I felt was because West tried getting cute by using the QB runs which outside of 1 run didn't work instead of just handing off to the back. That's for another day, for now we live, we learn (and this includes the coaches and the play calling which honestly has sucked this year) we regroup as a team pick each other up and get ready for Oak Hill if we play. Love you all pick your heads up and get ready to strap it up this ones behind us.
Coaches and players obviously can’t think about next season as they have a whole other half of this season to go, and still a lot to play for. But as bystanders whose personal thoughts have no impact on the outcomes of these games or the decisions that are made, who cares if you are thinking about last game, next week, next year or three years from now.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

If you have to say who cares to think about next year or 3 years from now, then you really don't get it. If you want to talk about next season you should post a 2024 Waverly Tigers thread, I'm sure having twin post out there won't be a big deal. Bystanders? Most bystanders going to games are there to watch a game and not really thinking about things like next year as they don't have anything invested in it.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Six turnovers? Not beating anyone with that stat! Wow!!

SiderBlood
All Conference

Post by SiderBlood »

RBH23 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:13 pm

Six turnovers? Not beating anyone with that stat! Wow!!
Waverly had 6 turnovers. Jeffree Bishop from west had 4 picks and a fumble recovery alone

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth" - Mike Tyson
YouCantBeSerious
Riding the Bench

Tigernation2021 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:39 pm If you have to say who cares to think about next year or 3 years from now, then you really don't get it. If you want to talk about next season you should post a 2024 Waverly Tigers thread, I'm sure having twin post out there won't be a big deal. Bystanders? Most bystanders going to games are there to watch a game and not really thinking about things like next year as they don't have anything invested in it.
Bystander, fan, family member/friend of a player or coach, whatever you wanna label it. Anyone outside of that locker room that have any opinions or thoughts mean nothing to those making decisions within the program. You can still be invested and have inquisitive thoughts when looking forward to the future, especially on a thread and not when having conversations with those in the program. But I mean since you are so invested and “get it”, you would have been more correct on some of your criticisms, for example the play call before halftime where time had expired and what instructions were given to the offense.

But more importantly, I have faith in the coaches and players to right the ship this week. Hopefully Oak Hill is able to follow through and play for the kids sake. The season isn’t over and they still have a ton to play for.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Stats are coming up this evening: they will speak volumes!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Team Statistics

Team Statistics (4th qtr [00:18])

The Automated ScoreBook

Ports West Senators vs Waverly Tigers (Sep 13, 2023 at Waverly High School)

WEST WAVERLY

FIRST DOWNS................... 9 20

Rushing..................... 6 6

Passing..................... 1 11

Penalty..................... 2 3

NET YARDS RUSHING............. 171 104

Rushing Attempts............ 43 32

Average Per Rush............ 4.0 3.2

Rushing Touchdowns.......... 1 1

Yards Gained Rushing........ 191 133

Yards Lost Rushing.......... 20 29

NET YARDS PASSING............. 32 242

Completions-Attempts-Int.... 3-9-1 20-37-4

Average Per Attempt......... 3.6 6.5

Average Per Completion...... 10.7 12.1

Passing Touchdowns.......... 1 2

TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 203 346

Total offense plays......... 52 69

Average Gain Per Play....... 3.9 5.0

Fumbles: Number-Lost.......... 1-1 2-2

Penalties: Number-Yards....... 12-92 8-62

PUNTS-YARDS................... 6-135 2-82

Average Yards Per Punt...... 22.5 41.0

Net Yards Per Punt.......... 16.3 30.5

Inside 20................... 0 0

50+ Yards................... 0 0

Touchbacks.................. 0 0

Fair catch.................. 0 0

KICKOFFS-YARDS................ 5-267 4-137

Average Yards Per Kickoff... 53.4 34.2

Net Yards Per Kickoff....... 28.0 0.5

Touchbacks.................. 1 0

Punt returns: Number-Yards-TD. 2-21-0 2-37-0

Average Per Return.......... 10.5 18.5

Kickoff returns: Number-Yds-TD 4-135-1 4-107-0

Average Per Return.......... 33.8 26.8

Interceptions: Number-Yds-TD.. 4-14-0 1-5-0

Fumble Returns: Number-Yds-TD. 0-0-0 0-0-0

Miscellaneous Yards........... 0 0

Possession Time............... 27:37 20:05

1st Quarter................. 9:28 2:32

2nd Quarter................. 3:53 8:07

3rd Quarter................. 8:02 3:58

4th Quarter................. 6:14 5:28

Third-Down Conversions........ 2 of 13 3 of 11

Fourth-Down Conversions....... 1 of 3 2 of 5

Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 1-1 1-4

Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 1-7 0-0

PAT Kicks..................... 3-3 3-3

Field Goals................... 1-1 0-0

FIRST DOWNS - Waverly 20 to 9
TOTAL OFFENSE - Waverly 346 to 203
TURNOVERS - Waverly 6 to 2

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ports West Senators

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg

--------------------------------------------

Mason Parker 22 96 6 90 0 17 4.1

Cole Tipton 12 73 9 64 1 48 5.3

Hayden Lore 4 12 0 12 0 7 3.0

Jeffery Bishop 5 10 5 5 0 6 1.0

Totals... 43 191 20 171 1 48 4.0

Passing Att-Cmp-Int Yds TD Long Sack

Cole Tipton 9-3-1 32 1 26 0

Totals... 9-3-1 32 1 26 0

Receiving No. Yds TD Long

-----------------------------------

Jeffery Bishop 3 32 1 26

Totals... 3 32 1 26

Punting No. Yds Avg Long In20 TB

----------------------------------------------

Mason Parker 6 135 22.5 34 0 0

Totals... 6 135 22.5 34 0 0

Punts Kickoffs Intercept

All Returns No.Yds.Lg No.Yds.Lg No.Yds.Lg

---------------------------------------------

Jeffery Bishop 2 21 15 1 89 89 4 14 14

Hayden Lore 0 0 0 1 7 7 0 0 0

Trevor Fike 0 0 0 1 10 10 0 0 0

Mason Parker 0 0 0 1 29 29 0 0 0

Totals... 2 21 15 4 135 89 4 14 14

Field goal attempts

----------------------------------------

Jack Holbrook 1st 04:07 31 yds - Good

Kickoffs No. Yds TB OB Avg

---------------------------------------

Jack Holbrook 5 267 1 0 53.4

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly Tigers

Rushing No Gain Loss Net TD Lg Avg

Jase Hurd 27 132 4 128 1 27 4.7

Quinton Hurd 1 1 0 1 0 1 1.0

Creed Smith 2 0 1 -1 0 0 -0.5

Mason Kelly 2 0 24 -24 0 0 -12.0

Totals... 32 133 29 104 1 27 3.2

Passing Att-Cmp-Int Yds TD Long Sack

Mason Kelly 37-20-4 242 2 42 1

Totals... 37-20-4 242 2 42 1

Receiving No. Yds TD Long

-----------------------------------

Kody Swords 10 144 2 42

Tanner Nichols 3 40 0 16

Mason Pollard 3 25 0 15

Jase Hurd 2 20 0 15

Mason Sparks 1 12 0 12

Quinton Hurd 1 1 0 1

Totals... 20 242 2 42

Punting No. Yds Avg Long In20 TB

----------------------------------------------

Kody Swords 2 82 41.0 42 0 0

Totals... 2 82 41.0 42 0 0

Punts Kickoffs Intercept

All Returns No.Yds.Lg No.Yds.Lg No.Yds.Lg

---------------------------------------------

Mason Pollard 1 20 20 0 0 0 0 0 0

Jase Hurd 1 17 17 3 82 44 0 0 0

Lane Bear 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 5 5

Creed Smith 0 0 0 1 25 25 0 0 0

Totals... 2 37 20 4 107 44 1 5 5

Field goal attempts

----------------------------------------

Kickoffs No. Yds TB OB Avg

---------------------------------------

Hunter Hauck 4 137 0 0 34.2
Last edited by smurray on Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”