98-7, Why?

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

98-7, Why?

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

In West Virginia

George Washington 98
South Charleston 7

Why do this to a group of young kids? Some states if the margin of victory goes past a certain amount there are penalties on the coach and school. There are things that can be done to hold the score down! Stuff like this is sad!

What do others think?

FIDO
S

Re: 98-7, Why?

Post by FIDO »

Absolutely ridiculous!!!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Crazy. Seen another one it was like 83-0 or something like that.

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

It’s unsportsmanlike. You can keep playing, but you put your bench in, get kids reps in a a different position, and if you can’t do those things due to numbers, you keep the ball on the ground and a running clock.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

South Charleston is 0-5 this year

Morgantown beat them 65-0
Hunington beat them 86-0
Parkersburg beat them 63-0
Midland beat them 75-0
George Washington beat them tonight 98-7

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Was told morgantown was taking penalties and kneeing on first and second down in that first game they were up 45-0 at the half

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
enigmaax
All State

Post by enigmaax »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:07 am Was told morgantown was taking penalties and kneeing on first and second down in that first game they were up 45-0 at the half
Why not just call the game if that’s what it is going to be?

I will never understand what people actually want in these situations. It seems like “you should let the other team play but not play against them.” If it’s past the point of being competitive beneficial, the losing team could just wave the white flag and pack it up. That’s no worse than whining after the fact about teams not kneeling or punting the ball right back to you.

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

West Virginia passed some rule that a student-athlete can transfer one time without penalty during their high school years. So now they pretty much have a transfer portal. Some schools benefit, others will suffer. I hate it for the kids that it affects. Now, all of a sudden, there are going to be all star teams in high school sports. And if I’m not mistaken, Cabell Midlands QB transferred from Parkersburg.

98-7 was ridiculous. Along with the 81-0 score from Hurricane over St Albans. Man 69 Wyoming East 0. Huntington also won 58-0 over Capital. Enough is enough.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

I believe next year WV is going to 4 division's so that may help some

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

enigmaax wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:25 am
Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:07 am Was told morgantown was taking penalties and kneeing on first and second down in that first game they were up 45-0 at the half
Why not just call the game if that’s what it is going to be?

I will never understand what people actually want in these situations. It seems like “you should let the other team play but not play against them.” If it’s past the point of being competitive beneficial, the losing team could just wave the white flag and pack it up. That’s no worse than whining after the fact about teams not kneeling or punting the ball right back to you.
It needs me as to why these things happen, South Charleston is just down a LOT should and could take the Northwest approach and schedule smaller schools until they have success and build back nunbers

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Why not dress freshman and plan to play them 3 quarters? Nothing to be gained in a game like this.

Bunker Hill
Freshman Team

Post by Bunker Hill »

With a running clock didn’t think scores like this were possible

LoyalOak
Waterboy

Post by LoyalOak »

Makes no sense to me either. You want as many kids to play as possible each year for every team and this isn’t helping. Waverly was beating my Oaks 50-7 at halftime and they let other kids play after half and it ended 57-7 I think it was. They had the ability to do the same but there is no reason for it at all.

DJT47
Riding the Bench

Post by DJT47 »

I think people who complain ab running up the score are the same people who wear masks in your cars.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

As long as the winning team has the back ups in there is nothing wrong with this I.M.O.
You allow your backups to run your offense if you have them in and they are not running your base offense it is a waste of time for them.

unchoopfan
Waterboy

Post by unchoopfan »

South Charleston and Capital, two Charleston-area schools that have been traditional Class AAA powers in WV high school football, have been decimated by transfers. The schools have historically competed for State Titles, but are now both struggling as kids leave the programs for other schools with the West Virginia Legislature's recent actions that relaxed student athlete transfer rules.

George Washington Coach Steve Edwards Jr. told the Charleston Gazette-Mail that he wanted to condense the clock to six-minute quarters as the Patriots rolled to a 77-0 Halftime lead. However, South Charleston Coach Dustin Resler opposed the thought.

“At a certain point, we have to play a whole game,” Resler said. “Six-minute quarters in the second half hurts our development. We were able to get a sustainable drive going. Granted, it was against their underclassmen, but we are using underclassmen. We needed something to hang our hat on.” South Charleston went on to score its first touchdown of the season in the fourth quarter.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/pr ... 8a8d6.html
Last edited by unchoopfan on Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

RollCoal wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:35 am West Virginia passed some rule that a student-athlete can transfer one time without penalty during their high school years. So now they pretty much have a transfer portal. Some schools benefit, others will suffer. I hate it for the kids that it affects. Now, all of a sudden, there are going to be all star teams in high school sports. And if I’m not mistaken, Cabell Midlands QB transferred from Parkersburg.

98-7 was ridiculous. Along with the 81-0 score from Hurricane over St Albans. Man 69 Wyoming East 0. Huntington also won 58-0 over Capital. Enough is enough.
You are on to something here. The WV media has reported that there was an insane amount of transfers over the spring and summer after this rule was changed, which they are stating depleted the talent at some schools and stacked the talent at other schools, which has resulted in these outcomes with huge disparities in the scores. This obviously got the attention of the politicians in Charleston, and now Governor Justice and the legislature say that they are going to "fix this". If they do come up with a fix and get it implemented before next season, it will take a couple of years for this to play itself out and some balance in talent gets restored.

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
SPelf
Freshman Team

Post by SPelf »

DJT47 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:37 am I think people who complain ab running up the score are the same people who wear masks in your cars.
nailed it sir!! :lol: if teams are playing freshmen and soph and doing basic run plays and still scoring at will, thats the opposing teams fault. It is what it is. Just tell me your kid doesnt play and you want to whine about it

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

A few weeks ago Nitro won a game 83-6 or something like that. Starting QB passed for 11 touchdowns.

I think South Charleston Head Coach left and went to Hurricane. Several players transferred and went with him.

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

darn i had south charleston and +90

Return to “Football”