September 29, 2023 Oak Hill - Wheelersburg

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Re: September 29, 2023 Oak Hill - Wheelersburg

Post by Hoopster98 »

gridironfan wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:37 pm Just saw where this game will not be played.
This is unreal. Oak Hill should be fined or something. What are we teaching our kids? Sports has life lessons in it and this is not a good life lesson.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Bfan99 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:30 pm Will the cancellation affect playoff points for Burg?
No because the divisor will go from 10 to 9. With OH not winning anything up until this point might help them. Would've been nice if they announced it earlier.

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

fbnut wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:41 pm
KCol wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:34 pm Pikeville (Ky.) has an open date this week and is looking for a game. Burg and Pikeville played during the COVID year. Would be a really good football game.
This team can’t compete with pikeville. Would be another burg loss. Would finish 5-5 or 6-4. Worst season since?
Pikeville lost to Raceland at home. I'm not saying that Wheelersburg will win or lose but to say they won't compete with them is not correct in my eyes.

They've had three losses by 27 points combined, 16 of those to Harvest Prep who played the No. 1 team in Indiana to a respectable three touchdown loss at Center Grove. Harvest Prep is the best team in the region right now in my eyes. All three losses should be wins, but it is what it is. You play the game to get better and to win. Pikeville is a game where Wheelersburg can get better and can win.

South Range is 5-1 and their only loss is to Division II Green whose only two losses are to Division I Massilon Jackson and Canton McKinley. They are the defending champions in Division V and are playing like it this year despite their graduation losses. And they may not even be the best team in R17 -- Perry is 6-0 and has only allowed 26 points all year. D-V is going to run through them for all intents and purposes again.

If you want to get better and play for championships, you need to play opponents every week that test you. That goes for everybody playing in any sport.

RBH23
S

Post by RBH23 »

KCol wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:43 pm
KCol wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:34 pm Pikeville (Ky.) has an open date this week and is looking for a game. Burg and Pikeville played during the COVID year. Would be a really good football game.
This team can’t compete with pikeville. Would be another burg loss. Would finish 5-5 or 6-4. Worst season since?
Pikeville lost to Raceland at home. I'm not saying that Wheelersburg will win or lose but to say they won't compete with them is not correct in my eyes.

They've had three losses by 27 points combined, 16 of those to Harvest Prep who played the No. 1 team in Indiana to a respectable three touchdown loss at Center Grove. Harvest Prep is the best team in the region right now in my eyes. All three losses should be wins, but it is what it is. You play the game to get better and to win. Pikeville is a game where Wheelersburg can get better and can win.

South Range is 5-1 and their only loss is to Division II Green whose only two losses are to Division I Massilon Jackson and Canton McKinley. They are the defending champions in Division V and are playing like it this year despite their graduation losses. And they may not even be the best team in R17 -- Perry is 6-0 and has only allowed 26 points all year. D-V is going to run through them for all intents and purposes again.

If you want to get better and play for championships, you need to play opponents every week that test you. That goes for everybody playing in any sport.
Perry beat Kirtland 24-6!

Let’s not overlook Coldwater, Liberty Center, and Valley View. All are playing good ball.

As for HP, I think IHS will beat them. Will run the ball down their throat.

Oldtimer55
Riding the Bench

Post by Oldtimer55 »

I’m no expert on SOC bylaws, but is there something that says a league champion has to play all the league games?

ACCBiggz
JV Team

Post by ACCBiggz »

Hoopster98 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:30 pm
gridironfan wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:37 pm Just saw where this game will not be played.
This is unreal. Oak Hill should be fined or something. What are we teaching our kids? Sports has life lessons in it and this is not a good life lesson.
This is one of the most remarkably stupid things I've ever seen posted on this forum. It's a health & safety issue for children. Be better. Good grief.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

ACCBiggz wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:28 pm
This is one of the most remarkably stupid things I've ever seen posted on this forum. It's a health & safety issue for children. Be better. Good grief.
How many kids are on OH’s roster and how many of them are banged up?

LoyalOak
Waterboy

Post by LoyalOak »

Dundas wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:34 pm

Last week before any kids “got hurt or left the game” I counted like 17. I think most are young also

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Someone posted on another thread that he counted 17 players in uniform last week against Waverly. Health @ Safety aside, it's so disappointing to some on here that they won't get to see another 60-0 game regardless.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VetteMan wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:51 pm
Someone posted on another thread that he counted 17 players in uniform last week against Waverly. Health @ Safety aside, it's so disappointing to some on here that they won't get to see another 60-0 game regardless.
I hate that for the Oaks. 17 kids is borderline for an 8th grade team. Hopefully a week off allows OH to get healthy and back into the 20’s.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

Dundas wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:56 pm
VetteMan wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:51 pm

I hate that for the Oaks. 17 kids is borderline for an 8th grade team. Hopefully a week off allows OH to get healthy and back into the 20’s.
If it’s health and safety ok. But in 2002 ND only had 16 kids, majority freshman and soph, they played an entire season. I am all about health and safety. Did they cancel their west game also And will they play Valley?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I kind of agree. They should play the game. Burgs coaches have enough class to play it with out embarrassing oak hill. Most Kids only get to play this game once.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

absolutely! The ppl saying this is teaching Oak Hill players how to be quitters are ridiculous. Most of the healthy players left for Oak Hill are underclassmen. There's no better way to get kids to stop playing football in the future than letting them get their brains beat in and humiliated. This is a long-term decision by Oak Hill, and the right one imo. Playing these kids in games like this is only going to kill their passion, the last thing a program like Oak Hill needs. Bottom line is they need OUT of SOCII.

"Nothing has created more basketball players than poor football coaches"

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

“Friday night's @SOCathletics Division II football game between @OakHillOaksFB @ @BurgFball is canceled due to low numbers for Oak Hill. Per sources, @PikevilleHSFB has expressed interest in playing Pirates. The 2 played 2 years ago at Wheelersburg.“ -Paul Biggs Portsmouth daily times

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Is Oak Hill cancelling the rest of their season? Or just choosing which games to cancel? I'm sure other teams on their schedule would like to know in advance if they will be playing or not.

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

What a sad state of affairs for Oak Hill, they should of never pressured Paul Carver to leave, he had the program at least stable. Be careful what you wish for. Oak Hill will play Valley, then be suddenly "injured" again only to recover just in time to play Northwest.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

transplant wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:53 am Is Oak Hill cancelling the rest of their season? Or just choosing which games to cancel? I'm sure other teams on their schedule would like to know in advance if they will be playing or not.
I thought I read on here that West already has another opponent lined up for the week they were supposed to play Oak Hill. I think OH should just shut it down the rest of the season and allow the teams they were to play to pick up another team.

How many kids did they start with at the beginning of the season?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Gotcha. I agree, if you have to cancel because of injuries/numbers, then just go ahead and cancel the rest of the season. I'm not sure how many they started with, but things aren't looking good in oak hill. I wonder what their youth programs look like.

Paulcrew
JV Team

Post by Paulcrew »

very good post

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Paulcrew wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:45 am

very good post
That sounds great and I agree but this team is arguably worse now than they were in week 1. This team is just not competing to the point where they can beat good teams. You can feel it in the stands, the fans and team just expect to lose. Burg make playoffs at 5~5?
Last edited by fbnut on Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”