Ohio Valley Conference - Unsportsmanlike

Spectator01
Waterboy

Ohio Valley Conference - Unsportsmanlike

Post by Spectator01 »

I had the unfortunate pleasure of attending an Ohio Valley Conference matchup between Fairland and Portsmouth this past Friday on October 6th. Both teams exhibited competitive play, but that was regrettably overshadowed by repetitive disgusting displays of unsportsmanlike behavior by some of the student athletes. During the course of the matchup, for some odd reason, players were stealing other players towels. Following the conclusion of the matchup and the congratulatory handshakes players continued with stealing (towels, water bottles, etc.) from the opposing team’s sideline. This continued to a point where coaches and even some of the student athletes were confronting one another about the ongoing behavior.

What has happened to our student athletes? It hasn’t been that long ago that there was a different standard and level of respect for the game. When you would put yourself in your school’s jersey it meant something. It meant that you were representing yourself, your team, your coaching staff, your school district, the game. The behavior that I witnessed on display for all to see was a clear demonstration of just how far we as a society have slipped and just how terrible we have failed.

The student athletes simply failed at the most basic form of the game and that is exhibiting ‘good sportsmanship’. When student athletes choose to ignore those critical virtues of fairness, self-control, courage, and respect for the game they have failed. I’m sure we all realize that it didn’t begin there. The behavior is a result of multiple serious failures. The coaching staff failed by losing control of the game and the student athletes. They failed to reinforce the basic principles of the game. They failed to demand respect for the game. The school district failed to make it clear to the coaching staff and the student athletes that their behavior is a direct reflection of themselves and the school district. However, the most egregious failure starts with the parents of those student athletes. The parents failed their children. The parents failed to reinforce a basic principle of society, which is simply a moral obligation to be a decent person.

I was saddened by what I witnessed. I am certain that if left unaddressed this behavior will tarnish the Ohio Valley Conference. I wish both Fairland and Portsmouth continued success, but above all I wish for their student athletes to develop an improved level of understanding of their potential, their contribution to the game, their community, and to society.

Return to “Football”