Time to go back to 8 team playoff???

Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Re: Time to go back to 8 team playoff???

Post by Gator B Long »

4 teams

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

EasternDspy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:50 am
smurray wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:46 am
EasternDspy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:21 am Last few years plenty of lower seeds have won games. Team you are weeks 1-5 isn’t the team you are week 11. Lots of teams deal with injuries and get kids back. Some bad teams are playing terrible schedules and good teams are playing tough schedules. Let’s decide these games on the field. Top 8 teams in harbin points are never the top 8 teams in the region. The current format let’s us have great reg season matchups.
No team lower than a 5 seed in the final 4 last year, any division.
Making the playoffs as lower seed is a great way to build a program. Get the school excited and get more kids out to play. More football isn’t a bad thing. Nobody is forcing you to go to games you don’t want to.
Didn’t say anybody was forcing me to go to a game. I have an opinion and you have yours…

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

EasternDspy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:50 am
smurray wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:46 am
EasternDspy wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:21 am Last few years plenty of lower seeds have won games. Team you are weeks 1-5 isn’t the team you are week 11. Lots of teams deal with injuries and get kids back. Some bad teams are playing terrible schedules and good teams are playing tough schedules. Let’s decide these games on the field. Top 8 teams in harbin points are never the top 8 teams in the region. The current format let’s us have great reg season matchups.
No team lower than a 5 seed in the final 4 last year, any division.
Making the playoffs as lower seed is a great way to build a program. Get the school excited and get more kids out to play. More football isn’t a bad thing. Nobody is forcing you to go to games you don’t want to.
Agree

Easyrider
Waterboy

Post by Easyrider »

Why all the negativity ? No one can dispute that the 16 team format is money driven and creates an abundance of early round mismatches but I would think the players and coaches of the 9-16 seeds aren't too disappointed to be playing playoff football.

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

HamPorter wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:17 am Tickets are 8 dollars in advance not 15

8 is probably the best way to do it, but kids getting a chance to play more football and in the postseason is fine with me

Plus the state is pulling in to much money now to ever stop this
They are not 8 dollars for football

Tickets for football:

$15 at the gate for everyone

Online pre-sale :$12 for adults and $9 for kids

State semi
$20 at gate

Online pre-sale :$16 for adults, $13 kids

There will be gate sales at all games that take place at HIGH SCHOOL VENUES

video from ohsaa talking about it at 4 minute mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ESE0F26dcI&t=215s

Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

icanpickem wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:59 pm
HamPorter wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:17 am Tickets are 8 dollars in advance not 15

8 is probably the best way to do it, but kids getting a chance to play more football and in the postseason is fine with me

Plus the state is pulling in to much money now to ever stop this
They are not 8 dollars for football

Tickets for football:

$15 at the gate for everyone

Online pre-sale :$12 for adults and $9 for kids

State semi
$20 at gate

Online pre-sale :$16 for adults, $13 kids

There will be gate sales at all games that take place at HIGH SCHOOL VENUES

video from ohsaa talking about it at 4 minute mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ESE0F26dcI&t=215s
Yes, double the number of teams in the playoffs and double the ticket prices while no longer sharing any of the proceeds with the teams. Shame on anyone who questions this because the OHSAA suits gotta get back to those annual vaccinations, I mean meetings, in Hawaii. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

It’s Amusing to me that for some teams, their easiest game of the year is week 11🤑. I can understand a 12 team format. But in D1 regions literally have 17,17,18,19 teams. Meanwhile in D5R19 the 1 seed Ironton had the 15 seed Ironton within 2 scores with the ball to end the game. There is no perfect solution. But this one size fits all definitely isn’t cutting it.

I feel like we should create the public and private divisions and go to. 8 teams again. Win-Win for everyone involved. OHSAA gets their Money and we see wayyyy more balanced competition across the board.

D1-5 Public
D1-3 Private

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

LetsBeReal wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:57 pm It’s Amusing to me that for some teams, their easiest game of the year is week 11🤑. I can understand a 12 team format. But in D1 regions literally have 17,17,18,19 teams. Meanwhile in D5R19 the 1 seed Ironton had the 15 seed Ironton within 2 scores with the ball to end the game. There is no perfect solution. But this one size fits all definitely isn’t cutting it.

I feel like we should create the public and private divisions and go to. 8 teams again. Win-Win for everyone involved. OHSAA gets their Money and we see wayyyy more balanced competition across the board.

D1-5 Public
D1-3 Private
There’s far more parity in D1 regions, like Region 2 and Region 3, top to bottom than there are in regions like D5 R19. For instance, in R3 the 3 v 14 game is a rematch of a week 6 game where the 14 had what would’ve been the go-ahead field goal blocked with three minutes left.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Another example is Region 7, where three of the matchups have OCC/LCL schools in the 9-16 range facing off against Columbus City League schools that piled into the top 8. It’s likely the City League is going 0-3 in week 11 on those games.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:11 pm
LetsBeReal wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:57 pm It’s Amusing to me that for some teams, their easiest game of the year is week 11🤑. I can understand a 12 team format. But in D1 regions literally have 17,17,18,19 teams. Meanwhile in D5R19 the 1 seed Ironton had the 15 seed Ironton within 2 scores with the ball to end the game. There is no perfect solution. But this one size fits all definitely isn’t cutting it.

D1-5 Public
D1-3 Private
There’s far more parity in D1 regions, like Region 2 and Region 3, top to bottom than there are in regions like D5 R19. For instance, in R3 the 3 v 14 game is a rematch of a week 6 game where the 14 had what would’ve been the go-ahead field goal blocked with three minutes left.

Ohh absolutely. I’m not discounting that one bit. I’m just meaning that instead of being inside of 1 umbrella where rules and guidelines are a huge advantage for some schools and put other schools in tough positions of considering opting out, we go to a more balanced solution that benefits everyone not gaming the system.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:15 pm Another example is Region 7, where three of the matchups have OCC/LCL schools in the 9-16 range facing off against Columbus City League schools that piled into the top 8. It’s likely the City League is going 0-3 in week 11 on those games.
Like Clinton Massie last year

Skyrocket
Riding the Bench

Post by Skyrocket »

It needs to go back to a 4 team format from each region and start the season in the middle of September

riverRat52
Riding the Bench

Post by riverRat52 »

Making the playoffs means nothing now. 12 team first 4 get a by makes more sense. Using making the playoffs as an accomplishment can mean winning 3 games… what a great feat. Participation trophies, money grab

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

riverRat52 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:03 am Making the playoffs means nothing now. 12 team first 4 get a by makes more sense. Using making the playoffs as an accomplishment can mean winning 3 games… what a great feat. Participation trophies, money grab
Surveyed the coaches and coaches thought a bye was bad for momentum. Coaches said they’d rather play than have a week off.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

8. Making the playoffs should mean something.. it really meant something when it was 4... lol. But 4 prob isn't enough. 16 is dumb

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

Just a thought. Instead of having 4 regions per division, divide it into smaller regions. Ohio has 88 counties. Instead of having a region that runs from the river to north of Columbus, try and make it that there is a South region for example, then an east, north, central, etc. It would cut down on long distances between playoff games ( Coal Grove vs Northmor for example). They could still have 8 teams per region and still have 64 total teams per division.
And adjust it for size due to the fact the D 1 and D2 schools are closer to the metro areas( leave those two divisions at 4 regions).

Thought’s anyone?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
WinnerWinner
Waterboy

Post by WinnerWinner »

OHSAA set to bring in close to $7-$800,000 from the first round alone. I can't see them giving that up anytime soon.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

16 is about 8 too many.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

D1-5 Public
D1-3 Private
I’ve never understood the public/private hate in Ohio. Outside of D1 & D2, public schools generally dominate. They have a shot sometimes even in those divisions.

riverRat52
Riding the Bench

Post by riverRat52 »

TigerBob wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:13 am

D1-5 Public
D1-3 Private
I’ve never understood the public/private hate in Ohio. Outside of D1 & D2, public schools generally dominate. They have a shot sometimes even in those divisions.
Exactly, I think the public/private issue is more of a basketball thing. Not really an issue in football

Return to “Football”