2024 Ironton Fighting Tigers

Larry Fine
JV Team

Re: 2024 Ironton Fighting Tigers

Post by Larry Fine »

RBH23 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:35 pm
Larry Fine wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:20 pm
RBH23 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:09 pm

So your argument is that the team with all the D1 athletes should lose to the team with zero? I really hope you don’t bet on any sporting events!

It’s actually not a must win for Burg. They are a young team and have plenty of opportunities to make the playoffs even with the loss.

As for Ironton, Burg is the easiest game IHS plays in their first seven. Lose the Burg game and the season could unravel really fast.

So Burg now expects to lose to Ironton, wow times have changed. NO EXCUSES
I would expect it to be an upset given that IHS has one of the best players in the state and multiple D1 athletes on their team. On paper, this game shouldn’t be close given IHS will have more D1 power five athletes on this team than Burg has had on all of their teams combined! On paper, IHS should win the state title.

You trying to downplay IHS’s chances is what really has changed. No way does Ironton of the 70’s and 80’s act this way. But that’s when Ironton actually won state titles. New Ironton tolerates losing even when they have the best roster. New Ironton is afraid of high expectations that come with a loaded roster.

And you know as well as I do: lose this game against Burg, and the season will come to a quick and massively disappointing end.
Not the Burg I used to know. Oh well take your loss and move on.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Larry Fine wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:39 pm
RBH23 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:35 pm
Larry Fine wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:20 pm

So Burg now expects to lose to Ironton, wow times have changed. NO EXCUSES
I would expect it to be an upset given that IHS has one of the best players in the state and multiple D1 athletes on their team. On paper, this game shouldn’t be close given IHS will have more D1 power five athletes on this team than Burg has had on all of their teams combined! On paper, IHS should win the state title.

You trying to downplay IHS’s chances is what really has changed. No way does Ironton of the 70’s and 80’s act this way. But that’s when Ironton actually won state titles. New Ironton tolerates losing even when they have the best roster. New Ironton is afraid of high expectations that come with a loaded roster.

And you know as well as I do: lose this game against Burg, and the season will come to a quick and massively disappointing end.
Not the Burg I used to know. Oh well take your loss and move on.
Well since you think Burg should be favored to win this game, how about putting your money where your mouth is?

I’ll take Ironton +3 since you consider them the underdog, and you can have Burg. Does $1,000 seem fair?

Or are you just hot air like another Ironton troll?

Bfan99
Freshman Team

Post by Bfan99 »

Burg fans on this site always say Ironton has this many D1 players and they better win. I’ve heard many kids and parents from Burg complain about Woodward and his staff not helping kids get to the next level. If Ironton had Burgs talented players from the last 4-5 years they would all have a D1 offer. That is what attracts players and families to Ironton, it’s the connection of the college coaches the Ironton staff has to get kids to the next level. If OHSAA opened up transferring without having an address and you didn’t need to sit out half the year, Ironton would have 10+ kids a year coming in.

From last years Burg team to name a few that would have a small D1 offer if attended Ironton.
Darling, Risner, Eatep & Lattimore.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Bfan99 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:53 am Burg fans on this site always say Ironton has this many D1 players and they better win. I’ve heard many kids and parents from Burg complain about Woodward and his staff not helping kids get to the next level. If Ironton had Burgs talented players from the last 4-5 years they would all have a D1 offer. That is what attracts players and families to Ironton, it’s the connection of the college coaches the Ironton staff has to get kids to the next level. If OHSAA opened up transferring without having an address and you didn’t need to sit out half the year, Ironton would have 10+ kids a year coming in.

From last years Burg team to name a few that would have a small D1 offer if attended Ironton.
No small school produces D1 athletes like Ironton, and if you think it’s just about connections, you’re crazy.

ML and Kirtland programs are well known. Their coaches are highly respected and get job offers from all over, including colleges. Yet they rarely produce a single D1 athlete. Not sure if Kirtland has ever produced a D1 player.

The SR team that decimated Ironton in the state title game produced zero D1 athletes despite being located in an area that gets a lot of attention from college coaches.

In the entire history of Wheelersburg football, they have only produced 1 power 5 D1 athlete, and the stadium is named after him.

Does this make Burg unusual given their school size? Absolutely not. This is quite normal when you look at the other schools that have dominated D5 - D7 Ohio football. D1 athletes from these schools are rare.

Hence this is what makes Ironton’s lack of a state title since 1989 perplexing. How can a school with a loaded roster fail year after year after year…?

As for “attracting players and families to Ironton”… IHS may want to up their academic game because their number of students continues to decline while Wheelersburg’s continues to grow with Burg now being the bigger of the two schools.

Larry Fine
JV Team

Post by Larry Fine »

RBH23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:24 am
Bfan99 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:53 am Burg fans on this site always say Ironton has this many D1 players and they better win. I’ve heard many kids and parents from Burg complain about Woodward and his staff not helping kids get to the next level. If Ironton had Burgs talented players from the last 4-5 years they would all have a D1 offer. That is what attracts players and families to Ironton, it’s the connection of the college coaches the Ironton staff has to get kids to the next level. If OHSAA opened up transferring without having an address and you didn’t need to sit out half the year, Ironton would have 10+ kids a year coming in.

No small school produces D1 athletes like Ironton, and if you think it’s just about connections, you’re crazy.

ML and Kirtland programs are well known. Their coaches are highly respected and get job offers from all over, including colleges. Yet they rarely produce a single D1 athlete. Not sure if Kirtland has ever produced a D1 player.

The SR team that decimated Ironton in the state title game produced zero D1 athletes despite being located in an area that gets a lot of attention from college coaches.

In the entire history of Wheelersburg football, they have only produced 1 power 5 D1 athlete, and the stadium is named after him.

Does this make Burg unusual given their school size? Absolutely not. This is quite normal when you look at the other schools that have dominated D5 - D7 Ohio football. D1 athletes from these schools are rare.

Hence this is what makes Ironton’s lack of a state title since 1989 perplexing. How can a school with a loaded roster fail year after year after year…?

As for “attracting players and families to Ironton”… IHS may want to up their academic game because their number of students continues to decline while Wheelersburg’s continues to grow with Burg now being the bigger of the two schools.
Why does it bother you so much that players go to Ironton with a goal and then work hard to achieve that goal of continuing their athletic career at the next level ?

You keep mentioning how many D1 players Ironton puts out , like that’s a bad thing.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

Larry Fine wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 7:50 am

Why does it bother you so much that players go to Ironton with a goal and then work hard to achieve that goal of continuing their athletic career at the next level ?

You keep mentioning how many D1 players Ironton puts out , like that’s a bad thing.
It doesn’t bother me at all. Players should go to where they want to play and should pursue their goals and dreams. I have never said anything negative about the Ironton players or transfers. And being a ND fan, I will be cheering for Terry’s success at the next level.

What I do find interesting is the lack of expectations from the Ironton faithful given the talent that they have. It’s as if they are afraid to hold Pendleton to a standard.

In his years at IHS, he’s had the best roster in D5 except 1-2 of those years, yet he’s been unable to win the big game. In fact, his teams’ performances are getting worse over time.

Going into 2024, he will have 18 returning starters, over 20 seniors, a tough regular season schedule, and a handful of legit D1 players. If he can’t win a state title with this team, I don’t see him ever winning state.

If 1989 turns out to be Ironton’s last state title, that would be really sad for a once proud program.

Larry Fine
JV Team

Post by Larry Fine »

RBH23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:00 am

It doesn’t bother me at all. Players should go to where they want to play and should pursue their goals and dreams. I have never said anything negative about the Ironton players or transfers. And being a ND fan, I will be cheering for Terry’s success at the next level.

What I do find interesting is the lack of expectations from the Ironton faithful given the talent that they have. It’s as if they are afraid to hold Pendleton to a standard.

In his years at IHS, he’s had the best roster in D5 except 1-2 of those years, yet he’s been unable to win the big game. In fact, his teams’ performances are getting worse over time.

Going into 2024, he will have 18 returning starters, over 20 seniors, a tough regular season schedule, and a handful of legit D1 players. If he can’t win a state title with this team, I don’t see him ever winning state.

If 1989 turns out to be Ironton’s last state title, that would be really sad for a once proud program.
Ok you’ve made it clear you’re disappointed that coach Pendleton hasn’t won a title yet. Cool, can we all move on now ?

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

RBH23 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:00 am

Not gonna happen. :roll:

BigSpoon
JV Team

Post by BigSpoon »

Im just glad Ironton isnt losing kids like they were before Pendleton was hired. Vass had several kids transfer out his last couple years coaching to Rock Hill, Ashland, Burg and Raceland. You all should have kept that same energy when those schools were getting transfers. Oh wait, its only recruiting when Ironton gets transfers!

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Of the players over the last couple years who have went to college how many are at the same school and how many are on or received a Division 1 scholarship?

Carrico?
Salyers? Maybe was a partial at YSU

But Ironton has done a great job of making PWO’s appear to be Scholarships. And hence parents are sending their kids there thinking they too will get a “scholarship” when all they are doing is getting a roster spot to pay their own way for school.

XandOs
Varsity

Post by XandOs »

SWHITE2002 wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:34 pm Of the players over the last couple years who have went to college how many are at the same school and how many are on or received a Division 1 scholarship?

Carrico?
Salyers? Maybe was a partial at YSU

But Ironton has done a great job of making PWO’s appear to be Scholarships. And hence parents are sending their kids there thinking they too will get a “scholarship” when all they are doing is getting a roster spot to pay their own way for school.

FAKE NEWS‼️

This couldn’t be further from the truth. Let’s see the facts that back this up. You would be surprised how false your statements are.

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

As the saying goes hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. Ironton has ran in to teams that work hard at their craft. As each class has had deep runs those extra practices and stuff will add up maybe this is the year with a beefy schedule they can get over the hump

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
IrontonTigers#1
Freshman Team

Post by IrontonTigers#1 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:10 am
IrontonTigers#1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:14 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:15 am

Two year ago when Ironton got throttled in the final, Keyes, Perkins and Felder were probably 75% of their offense. Take them three away and what "Homegrown" talent replaces them?

Sure, they have homegrown kids but without those three they probably barely win 4 games.

If he can win with what he has, why does he continue to bring kids in?
I Disagree the with what you say about that team. Because that team was loaded with Ironton raised talent.

Who??? Maybe some lineman or some defensive guys but those three were Ironton's offense that year. I would bet that say on a 15 play drive, those three touched the ball 12-13 times.

Do you really believe that without them Ironton has the kind of season they had?? Come on man!!!!!
Lol

GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, HOOK'EM HORNS, HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS
gobucs20
JV Team

Post by gobucs20 »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:22 pm As the saying goes hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. Ironton has ran in to teams that work hard at their craft. As each class has had deep runs those extra practices and stuff will add up maybe this is the year with a beefy schedule they can get over the hump
I hope so but statistically highly unlikely. Since 89 i believe other than burgh having a very easy path in 17 and amanda cc in late 90s early 2000s with their 2 or three titles no seo team has won it all. Most times a seo teams have made it they were blown out.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

gobucs20 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 11:55 am
Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 3:22 pm As the saying goes hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. Ironton has ran in to teams that work hard at their craft. As each class has had deep runs those extra practices and stuff will add up maybe this is the year with a beefy schedule they can get over the hump
I hope so but statistically highly unlikely. Since 89 i believe other than burgh having a very easy path in 17 and amanda cc in late 90s early 2000s with their 2 or three titles no seo team has won it all. Most times a seo teams have made it they were blown out.
Again with Burg’s “easy path.” What good did an “easy path” for for Ironton the past two years?

RollCoal
JV Team

Post by RollCoal »

I don’t think there’s an easy path to a state title game. Winning it, regardless if someone thinks a particular team had an “ easy” playoff run. The teams that are in the final round are there because they won.
Just my humble opinion.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and excepting a different result;
Albert Einstein
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Again. Anyone that says burgs path was easy doesn’t understand football very well.

Also Ironton’s recent success has relied heavily on transfers, contact was made to a few burg kids from Ironton so yea I believe that recruiting does take place. Ironton fans look silly when they deny it. Ironton apparently has been able to not be penalized so however they do it, works. It is what it is.

I think Ironton is going to be about the same team as last year. Looks like the new kids are going to fill in the few spots that left. Terry is a stud. He will carry them far into the playoffs again. They should make it back to regional final again this year for sure.

Jackson Football
Freshman Team

Post by Jackson Football »

All that matters is these two proud programs will meet in week 1. They have until then to get prepared and the season always comes and goes so fast. We’ll see who’s put the work in this off season. TICK TOCK TICK TOCK ⏰

TomUnessa
Riding the Bench

Post by TomUnessa »

wobycat wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:23 pm Again. Anyone that says burgs path was easy doesn’t understand football very well.

Also Ironton’s recent success has relied heavily on transfers, contact was made to a few burg kids from Ironton so yea I believe that recruiting does take place. Ironton fans look silly when they deny it. Ironton apparently has been able to not be penalized so however they do it, works. It is what it is.

I think Ironton is going to be about the same team as last year. Looks like the new kids are going to fill in the few spots that left. Terry is a stud. He will carry them far into the playoffs again. They should make it back to regional final again this year for sure.
Woby, i agree. Terry is a heck of a talented athlete and Ironton is loaded with talent. Also heard the player from Huntington they just got is a stud. The one player who i have always been impressed with is Copas. Tough, hard nosed and does the dirty work. Also Hear he is a good kid but that doesn’t surprise me cause i know his dad and he is a top notch guy.
But I do have to ask since you said “They should make it back to the regional final again this year for sure”. Who do you have them facing in the regional final?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

TomUnessa wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:44 pm
wobycat wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:23 pm Again. Anyone that says burgs path was easy doesn’t understand football very well.

Woby, i agree. Terry is a heck of a talented athlete and Ironton is loaded with talent. Also heard the player from Huntington they just got is a stud. The one player who i have always been impressed with is Copas. Tough, hard nosed and does the dirty work. Also Hear he is a good kid but that doesn’t surprise me cause i know his dad and he is a top notch guy.
But I do have to ask since you said “They should make it back to the regional final again this year for sure”. Who do you have them facing in the regional final?
I think it’s going to be the same top 3 burg, Ironton and prep. Barnesville is up and coming program that is well coached. Apparently they have a lot coming back. They may be in the mix. Their schedule is weak because of their conference. May hurt them again.

Return to “Football”