2024 Wheelersburg Pirates

RBH23
SE

Re: 2024 Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by RBH23 »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:17 pm
fbnut wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:04 pm 7-3 to 6-4
Losses to ironton, Jackson and prep because that’s who the burg is now
The cinci team is good and certainly could be another loss. SOC champs and a loss in playoffs when they play ironton or prep. Same season as usual
Spot-on. In hindsight, Burg putting Harvest Prep on the regular season schedule was a mistake. Burg not even competitive with them last 2 games (like 60 yards of offense and 10 passing yards in playoff game). Could maybe see them beating Jackson at home, but I got them losing to Ironton and at McNick.

7-3 or 6-4 is nothing to be embarrassed about with a tough non-conference schedule, but also not meeting the expectations of some of their fanbase.

RBH: from people I’ve talked to, this staff leaves when they want to leave. The 2017 state championship earned them that right in the eyes of the people who make those decisions.*
Four loss seasons on occasion are nothing to be ashamed about. But Burg has lost four games in 4 of the last 5 years with a number of those losses due to poor offensive execution; poor play calling, turnovers, team beating themselves. This is not Burg football.

One of the main reasons Ed Miller retired was because of the constant pressure. 9-1/8-2 became unacceptable to many fans. And this despite a state title and him building Burg into a legit program. If fans can put pressure on Ed…

And although I agree the coaches are getting a lot of leeway due to 2017 (per those that make the decisions), four loss seasons and no deep playoff runs will eventually become a problem. We’ve had coaches in other sports who also had lots of success pushed out when the program appeared to be heading in the wrong direction. So you never know!

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

fbnut wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 1:48 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:59 pm
fbnut wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:04 pm 7-3 to 6-4
Losses to ironton, Jackson and prep because that’s who the burg is now
The cinci team is good and certainly could be another loss. SOC champs and a loss in playoffs when they play ironton or prep. Same season as usual
If Burg goes 6-4, heads need to roll. That is completely unacceptable with the talent they have coming back.

If the team losses four games total this year, I think the coaching staff needs to be put on notice with high expectations in 2025.

Historically Burg has been known as a team that doesn’t beat itself and can pull an upset. Burg of the past few years has become a team that beats itself and can’t pull off an upset.

We are on a trend of losses not seen since before Miller took over the program. Enough of the four loss seasons.
I’m not commenting on staff but I agree that the burg can compete but can’t beat good football teams in recent times. You are correct they used to find ways to win those games but in-recent yrs have found ways to lose those games. They were beat before they ever walked on the field last yr against prep in the playoff game. That effort was embarrassing. The last few yrs in big games against talented teams the offense has been terrible
Agree.

I have a lot of faith in the D. The coaches always seem to find a way. But the O has been a rollercoaster ride, and this isn’t a new problem. Started showing up in 2018 and has just gotten worse. Even in some of the wins, the play calling and offense have been horrible. Hope to see significant improvement on that side of the ball.

Jackson Football
Freshman Team

Post by Jackson Football »

RBH23 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:34 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 12:59 pm

If Burg goes 6-4, heads need to roll. That is completely unacceptable with the talent they have coming back.

If the team losses four games total this year, I think the coaching staff needs to be put on notice with high expectations in 2025.

Historically Burg has been known as a team that doesn’t beat itself and can pull an upset. Burg of the past few years has become a team that beats itself and can’t pull off an upset.

We are on a trend of losses not seen since before Miller took over the program. Enough of the four loss seasons.
I’m not commenting on staff but I agree that the burg can compete but can’t beat good football teams in recent times. You are correct they used to find ways to win those games but in-recent yrs have found ways to lose those games. They were beat before they ever walked on the field last yr against prep in the playoff game. That effort was embarrassing. The last few yrs in big games against talented teams the offense has been terrible
Agree.

I have a lot of faith in the D. The coaches always seem to find a way. But the O has been a rollercoaster ride, and this isn’t a new problem. Started showing up in 2018 and has just gotten worse. Even in some of the wins, the play calling and offense have been horrible. Hope to see significant improvement on that side of the ball.
Jackson at Wheelersburg will be a toss up

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Jackson Football wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:03 pm
RBH23 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:34 pm

Agree.

Jackson at Wheelersburg will be a toss up
Jackson will do what good teams do, find a way to win. Burg will do what they do in this game, find a way to lose

Jeaux Burreaux
Varsity

Post by Jeaux Burreaux »

Burg having the pressure that some are feeling just north in Columbus. Yes you’ve won a state title however that was 7 years ago now. It appears they haven’t gotten much closer to it since that win. As for seeing your rival Ironton knocking on the door of a state title

2019 Heisman Trophy Winner, 2019 National Champion
TigerBlood00
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerBlood00 »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:28 pm Burg having the pressure that some are feeling just north in Columbus. Yes you’ve won a state title however that was 7 years ago now. It appears they haven’t gotten much closer to it since that win. As for seeing your rival Ironton knocking on the door of a state title
Burg has not been able to win their region. Let alone get near another title. Despite the larger enrollment and more established culture, Ironton has been more productive.

GrumpyPundit
Riding the Bench

Post by GrumpyPundit »

Jeaux Burreaux wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:28 pm Burg having the pressure that some are feeling just north in Columbus. Yes you’ve won a state title however that was 7 years ago now. It appears they haven’t gotten much closer to it since that win. As for seeing your rival Ironton knocking on the door of a state title
Pressure is a privilege.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg has been regional runner up two out of the last three years and fans are questioning whether burg is good? SMH

Burg isn’t Ironton or prep or even d3 Jackson

Ironton and prep are teams with multiple transfers.

Burgs past team was a bunch of kids who played since 5th grade outside of Lattimore.

Jackson is a solid d3 team, why would we expect to beat them year in, year out?

If Burg would get multiple transfers every year like Ironton and prep, they would be just as successful. I think burg coaches have done a great job with those that they have had on their roster. Teams go through stretches where the wins aren’t as numerous but they still are successful with conference championships and being regional runner up.

Jackson Football
Freshman Team

wobycat wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:52 am Burg has been regional runner up two out of the last three years and fans are questioning whether burg is good? SMH

Burgs past team was a bunch of kids who played since 5th grade outside of Lattimore.

If Burg would get multiple transfers every year like Ironton and prep, they would be just as successful. I think burg coaches have done a great job with those that they have had on their roster. Teams go through stretches where the wins aren’t as numerous but they still are successful with conference championships and being regional runner up.
Jackson was 1 player away from D4 , and Burg usually has more players than Jackson. This game isn’t David vs Goliath , it’s just two good programs.

RBH23
SE

Post by RBH23 »

wobycat wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:52 am Burg has been regional runner up two out of the last three years and fans are questioning whether burg is good? SMH

I agree mostly with what you are saying except you left something out: in many of Burg’s losses, they beat themselves with mistakes and turnovers.

Last year, Ironton did their best to give Burg that game, yet Burg made mistake after mistake… Against McNich, Burg tried to give that game away. And against Jackson, Burg succeeded with at least three turnovers. At this point, Burg going the season without throwing an interception in the red zone would be amazing!

From the coaches, I expect a disciplined, fundamentally sound team. We see that on the D side but are not seeing it from the offense; has been the case over these past five years, hence so many four loss seasons. If coaches clean this up in 2024, that’ll be a step in the right direction.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Jackson Football wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:41 am

Jackson was 1 player away from D4 , and Burg usually has more players than Jackson. This game isn’t David vs Goliath , it’s just two good programs.
Still have more students to choose from. Burg beating Jackson is a bonus win and a great way for them to prepare for conference play and post season

Jackson Football
Freshman Team

wobycat wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:00 am

Still have more students to choose from. Burg beating Jackson is a bonus win and a great way for them to prepare for conference play and post season
You have more players to choose from. Beating a d5 power like Burg is huge for Jackson.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Jackson Football wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:04 am

You have more players to choose from. Beating a d5 power like Burg is huge for Jackson.
Players and students are two different scenarios. Appreciate the compliment. Burg is definitely a d5 power

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

RBH23 wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:50 am

I agree mostly with what you are saying except you left something out: in many of Burg’s losses, they beat themselves with mistakes and turnovers.

Last year, Ironton did their best to give Burg that game, yet Burg made mistake after mistake… Against McNich, Burg tried to give that game away. And against Jackson, Burg succeeded with at least three turnovers. At this point, Burg going the season without throwing an interception in the red zone would be amazing!

From the coaches, I expect a disciplined, fundamentally sound team. We see that on the D side but are not seeing it from the offense; has been the case over these past five years, hence so many four loss seasons. If coaches clean this up in 2024, that’ll be a step in the right direction.
You had a sophomore QB making his first start at Ironton against a transfer senior. The same happened two years ago. Again burg should begin better this year especially on the offensive side of the ball. That’s probably why the coaches are optimistic.

Jackson Football
Freshman Team

wobycat wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:30 am

Players and students are two different scenarios. Appreciate the compliment. Burg is definitely a d5 power
Exactly , beating a D5 power with a bigger roster is a great challenge. Hopefully Jackson can keep that winning streak going. Winning at the Ed isn’t easy. Burg has Ironton and Jackson at the Ed. I ll predict they won’t lose them both.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Burgs not a D5/power unless you consider a power as a D5 team that’s somewhere between the 6th to 12th best d 5 team yr in and out. Kinda like the penn state/wisconsin of the big 10. Good solid program that plays good D but has no offense against good teams.
Last edited by fbnut on Mon May 27, 2024 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jackson Football
Freshman Team

fbnut wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:37 am

Burgs not a D5/power unless you consider a top 7-10 D5 team a power.
They used to be .

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Jackson Football wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:34 am

Exactly , beating a D5 power with a bigger roster is a great challenge. Hopefully Jackson can keep that winning streak going. Winning at the Ed isn’t easy. Burg has Ironton and Jackson at the Ed. I ll predict they won’t lose them both.
Andy owns the burg. He will figure out a way to walk into the Ed and get a win. Will be interesting though to see how he does without his Dad. Lost a lot of football knowledge when he went to green

Jackson Football
Freshman Team

fbnut wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:46 am

Andy owns the burg. He will figure out a way to walk into the Ed and get a win. Will be interesting though to see how he does without his Dad. Lost a lot of football knowledge when he went to green
I believe Jackson is 5-6 against the burg recently , but trending in the right direction. Jackson will be more than fine 😀.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Jackson Football wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:51 am
fbnut wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 11:46 am

I believe Jackson is 5-6 against the burg recently , but trending in the right direction. Jackson will be more than fine 😀.
So losing over 40 yrs of coaching experience won’t hurt at all?

Return to “Football”