SCOL Expanding?

ironman02
SEOP

Re: SCOL Expanding?

Post by ironman02 »

My guess is that it will be hard to get the Clinton County schools to say yes. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the addition of Jackson voted down in March.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

domain master wrote:From a Jackson point of view, it would be a great move. From a SCOL point of view, not a great move. 100 miles from CM to Jackson, how does this benefit the SCOL? re-read the initial article, this does not address the intent of expansion, unless they add 6 or 8 teams and go to a super conf.
Domain Master, sounds like you pretty familiar with the SCOL as it currently stands so wondering if you can provide some insight?

I went over to Yappi to see if there was any talk about the SCOL expansion, and didn't see much, but there is a thread about CM and the SCOL, and speculation that maybe CM was looking at other options around the Dayton area and further speculation that the SCOL was trying to "move eastward a bit". Now I realize that 90% of the posters on any forum (including myself lol) usually aren't privy to a lot of the facts or discussions that go on with respect to matters like this, but are you aware of any thoughts among the current schools to be more focused on east versus west expansion now or in the future?

Looking at a map it appears that EC-WCH-McClain seem to be the "center" so to speak of the SCOL so I it would seem that any expansion may include Paint Valley, Unioto, Waverly on the small school side. Unioto used to be a member but don't see them leaving and Waverly leaving the SOC doesn't seem likely (but who knows I heard they were interested in SVC). It is interesting that Circleville and TV also used to be in the SCOL, and as bigger schools if they are under consideration this may help Jackson's case a bit.

Speculation will run rampant for another month; does the following scenario make any sense? This sort of sticks with the big/small statement which was given by the SCOL originally for wanting to expand.
Chillicothe
Wilmington
Hillsboro
Miami Trace
Jackson (possible add)
Circleville (possible add former member)

Washington (either here or above)
McClain
EC
CM
PV (possible add)
Unioto (possible add, former member)
Waverly (possible add)

Just throwing some things out there, I hear what you are saying though it always could come down to just leaving it alone as is. Sometimes doing nothing is a good decision.
Last edited by doubleplay643 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

doubleplay643 wrote:
domain master wrote:From a Jackson point of view, it would be a great move. From a SCOL point of view, not a great move. 100 miles from CM to Jackson, how does this benefit the SCOL? re-read the initial article, this does not address the intent of expansion, unless they add 6 or 8 teams and go to a super conf.
Domain Master, sounds like you pretty familiar with the SCOL as it currently stands so wondering if you can provide some insight?

I went over to Yappi to see if there was any talk about the SCOL expansion, and didn't see much, but there is a thread about CM and the SCOL, and speculation that maybe CM was looking at other options around the Dayton area and further speculation that the SCOL was trying to "move eastward a bit". Now I realize that 90% of the posters on any forum (including myself lol) usually aren't privy to a lot of the facts or discussions that go on with respect to matters like this, but are you aware of any thoughts among the current schools to be more focused on east versus west expansion now or in the future?

Looking at a map it appears that EC-WCH-McClain seem to be the "center" so to speak of the SCOL so I it would seem that any expansion may include Paint Valley, Unioto, Waverly on the small school side. Unioto used to be a member but don't see them leaving and Waverly leaving the SOC doesn't seem likely (but who knows I heard they were interested in SVC). It is interesting that Circleville and TV also used to be in the SCOL, and as bigger schools if they are under consideration this may help Jackson's case a bit.

Speculation will run rampant for another month; does the following scenario make any sense? This sort of sticks with the big/small statement which was given by the SCOL originally for wanting to expand.
Chillicothe
Wilmington
Hillsboro
Miami Trace
Jackson (possible add)
Circleville (possible add former member)

Washington (either here or above)
McClain
EC
CM
PV (possible add)
Unioto (possible add, former member)

Just throwing some things out there, I hear what you are saying though it always could come down to just leaving it alone as is. Sometimes doing nothing is a good decision.
Waverly (possible add)
I think in Football only, CM is most likely going to be in the big division probably in place of Hillsboro since they have been down for a bit and CM is already winning SCOL titles, for other sports, that's possible

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Good point GoBucks, CM has clearly been strong for a long time in football, with playoff success and last year traveling all the way to compete against Big Red in Steubenville.

I know a lot of conferences with multiple divisions move their "big" and "small" schools up or down to take into account strength of program. Very good idea and keeps a good competitive balance as schools go through up and down cycles.

Has anyone heard what other schools might be being considered during the March 7th meeting? Is Jackson the only one or are there others?

domain master
Freshman Team

Post by domain master »

Double & Go Bucks, I agree, CM is big school in football for sure, they will not play a small school schedule (nor should they). IMO, if any of the 8 teams would look to leave for greener pastures it would be CM (or maybe wilmington) because of their location to metro Cin/Dayton, I-71 and their sports (football) success. Even though there are more schools to the north and west of SCOL country, I think they feel the "move eastward a bit" is their best option, and keeps Chiily happy. I think you could work with your big/small divisions and make it work, but would require some to leave the SVC and I question if that would happen. Just read this today in the Highland Co paper "SCOL commissioner Jim "Chief" Winner" said Monday afternoon "that there is still a possibility of adding teams, and they are keeping their options open." "Right now, we dont seem to have some definite schools for membership that fit all the criteria we are looking for." 'The league's goal is to have two five or six-school divisions based on a competitive balance of athletes, not necessarily enrollment and geography. Commissioner Winner said on Monday there are no votes coming up for the league in the near future. We dont have any votes up in the near future, Winner said. We are solid at eight schools right now. We have great rivalries, great traditions, and if we cant find schools that fit the criteria we want, we'll stay where we are at, but we want to keep all of our options open."

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

I wonder if the SCOL members, excluding CM/Wilmington, may be thinking that it is only a matter of time before CM/Wilmington look to a league in the Dayton or northern Cincy area. As the westernmost schools the other SCOL members may expect at some point they will leave, and if so there remains only 6 schools.

Maybe that is the reason of "thinking" more towards the East.

domain master
Freshman Team

Post by domain master »

Abe, if for some reason CM/Wilmington would leave, I feel a great option would be for the SCOL/SVC consider a merger and go big/small. EC (a former SVC member back in the 70's) and McClain would fit in the small school, and then you could look at adding schools like Jackson at that point.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

domain master wrote:Abe, if for some reason CM/Wilmington would leave, I feel a great option would be for the SCOL/SVC consider a merger and go big/small. EC (a former SVC member back in the 70's) and McClain would fit in the small school, and then you could look at adding schools like Jackson at that point.
Now that makes a lot of sense.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

If the SCOl is wanting to make changes and head east they should take Jackson in and allow Massie and Wilmington leave plus this would have teams like Waverly and Circleville be interested.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
123xxx
Freshman Team

Post by 123xxx »

Too much travel leads to separating conferences due to week attendance and lack of rivalry atmospheres.

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

https://twitter.com/boggssports/status/ ... 1354865664

So the Jackson superintendent thinks Jackson has 5 yes votes to the SCOL if there is a vote March 7th, but Jackson needs 7 yes votes to be accepted.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

GoBucks1047 wrote:https://twitter.com/boggssports/status/ ... 1354865664

So the Jackson superintendent thinks Jackson has 5 yes votes to the SCOL if there is a vote March 7th, but Jackson needs 7 yes votes to be accepted.
Who are the five votes from, anyone have an inkling of an idea?

Assume the closest schools: WCH, McClain, Chilly, Hillsboro, MT??

teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

Over on yappi they are saying all the scol teams except the Clinton county schools are leaving the scol to form a new league with Jackson.

GoBucks1047
Varsity

Post by GoBucks1047 »

That's interesting. I would think that's a bad idea for the league, but it's a new opportunity for Jackson, and maybe Logan will try to get into it too if the new league looks at picking up more teams than just 6 schools; plenty of opportunity to look East now if this is all true about a new league forming in our area.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

teach1coach2 wrote:Over on yappi they are saying all the scol teams except the Clinton county schools are leaving the scol to form a new league with Jackson.
Why wouldn't they just vote them into the scol and let the other two leave?

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
teach1coach2
All State

Post by teach1coach2 »

http://www.yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289194

I'll let you guys read it for yourself.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

noreply66 wrote:Why wouldn't they just vote them into the scol and let the other two leave?
Probably like the NBC with Louisville. The SCOL probably wants Wilmington and CLinton massie out

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

WCH, McClain, Chillicothe, Hillsboro, MT, and Jackson?

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

If it happens it happens ....no one what's Jackson anyway so why all the interest

Vegeta
Riding the Bench

Post by Vegeta »

Interesting... If that is true about the SCOL wanting to get rid of the Clinton County schools. I'm a bit skeptical about this for now. However, Wilmington and Clinton-Massie do play in the southwest district. The other SCOL schools could be looking to play more of a southeast district schedule since that is where they play at tournament time. This could open up the door for Jackson and possibly even Circleville and Logan Elm if interested.

Washington Court House
McClain
Chillicothe
Hillsboro
Miami Trace
Jackson
Circleville
Logan Elm

Return to “Football”