Wheelersburg Pirates 2016 Season

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Wheelersburg Pirates 2016 Season

Post by wobycat »

Coach Woodward is top notch. If there was an issue with the student, I'm sure he's addressed it already.

8332 Granite St
JV Team

Post by 8332 Granite St »

Having two really good QB's could make for some really nice trick plays later in the playoffs. :)

eddie
JV Team

Post by eddie »

from what I understand there are 5 Qb's working hard every day preparing to compete come the start of the practice. I watched weight/conditioning last week and there are a lot of players on this years team. should be great competition at a lot of positions

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

burg will be competative
Last edited by fbnut on Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

8332 Granite St wrote:Who in region 17 has a chance of beating Burg? Any teams improving this year?? I know Zane trace and Alexander is going to be worse...any dark horse team? Cosocton, liberty union, Martin's Ferry maybe??
I personally don't think they will be beat in their region. I don't think Coshocton or Martins Ferry will have enough up their sleeve to challenge them. We'll learn early in the season if Ironton can challenge them (even though things can change a lot obviously from early regular season to the playoffs.) It would probably be easier to think who in division 5 will challenge them, and my answer to that would be the obvious, Coldwater. I think we will see a similar scenario as last season with the Berg and Coldwater meeting either in the State Finals or in the Final four...and if it's the final four, then the winner of that game will probably be state champs.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Stan_Marsh wrote:
8332 Granite St wrote:Who in region 17 has a chance of beating Burg? Any teams improving this year?? I know Zane trace and Alexander is going to be worse...any dark horse team? Cosocton, liberty union, Martin's Ferry maybe??
I personally don't think they will be beat in their region. I don't think Coshocton or Martins Ferry will have enough up their sleeve to challenge them. We'll learn early in the season if Ironton can challenge them (even though things can change a lot obviously from early regular season to the playoffs.) It would probably be easier to think who in division 5 will challenge them, and my answer to that would be the obvious, Coldwater. I think we will see a similar scenario as last season with the Berg and Coldwater meeting either in the State Finals or in the Final four...and if it's the final four, then the winner of that game will probably be state champs.
Hopefully if the two meet again this season it is in the finals. It was a shame that the two best teams in D5 met in the state semi finals and not the state finals. But of course everyone knows the ohsaa is all about the $$$$ and not the best match up. God forbid a private school not be on the finals

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Out of the final 4 teams I can't say I agree that Burg along with Coldwater was one of the two best and we somehow got the shaft by playing Coldwater in the semi's.

Watching the CCC vs. Coldwater game it seemed they had a little better success than we did and the CCC vs Edison semi-game was just a couple point difference.

We may have been #4 out of the final four, just a thought. Still a great year and more to come, just not convinced we were second best team.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Wheelersburg was the best in a very weak Region. But not the second best team. Not even close. They didn't even put up a fight against Coldwater.

Wheelersburg themselves has had teams in the last 10 years that would've beaten last year's team.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Oak wrote:Wheelersburg was the best in a very weak Region. But not the second best team. Not even close. They didn't even put up a fight against Coldwater.

Wheelersburg themselves has had teams in the last 10 years that would've beaten last year's team.
Burg and cw was 1 and 2 in the final D5 rankings. so wouldn't that make them the two best teams

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Abe Froman wrote:Out of the final 4 teams I can't say I agree that Burg along with Coldwater was one of the two best and we somehow got the shaft by playing Coldwater in the semi's.

Watching the CCC vs. Coldwater game it seemed they had a little better success than we did and the CCC vs Edison semi-game was just a couple point difference.

We may have been #4 out of the final four, just a thought. Still a great year and more to come, just not convinced we were second best team.
Burg and cw was rranked 1 and 2 in the final D5 rankings. Wouldn't that make them the 2 best

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Burg and cw was 1 and 2 in the final D5 rankings. so wouldn't that make them the two best teams
No. Coldwater could've scored 60 on Wheelersburg had they wanted to.

8332 Granite St
JV Team

Post by 8332 Granite St »

2nd best....3rd or 4th doesn't really matter and really no way to get a right answer. It's a New season and coldwater lost some very good talent will they be as good as last year? We know they reload just as good as Burg does, but as good a team as last year?? And what about Burg we lost some starters , will we be a better team then last year or just run over all the pancake teams till we hit the final 4 ??

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Oak wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote: Burg and cw was 1 and 2 in the final D5 rankings. so wouldn't that make them the two best teams
No. Coldwater could've scored 60 on Wheelersburg had they wanted to.
That's for darn sure. I knew that we were gonna lose but I'd never imagined by 30

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

This year we will know what to expect if and when we face Coldwater. Last year I think we thought we knew what to expect....but we actually did not know.

Good experience that will prove to be useful in years to come.

Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

Abe Froman wrote:Out of the final 4 teams I can't say I agree that Burg along with Coldwater was one of the two best and we somehow got the shaft by playing Coldwater in the semi's.

That's actually a very accurate thought now that I think about how CCC and Coldwater turned out and knowing how tight Edison and CCC was. I would still predict Wheelersburg to clean up their region this year again though. And I expect them to keep playing until they see one of those schools out west. Not saying they can't beat Codlwater if the re-match happens again, but I dont believe they will suffer defeat from anyone else.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Region 17 wasn't very good last year. Sugar Creek Garaway is probably the most talented team in the region but Wheelersburg is the best team. Harrison Central and Ridgewood bring back everything. Cosocton should be very good. NY will be the dark horse. In 2014 NY gave Athens a battle for 2.5 quarters. I wouldn't be surprised if Week 11 is NY at Wheelersburg

Region 19's favorite should be Wheelersburg but should be very competitive

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Raider6309 wrote:Region 17 wasn't very good last year. Sugar Creek Garaway is probably the most talented team in the region but Wheelersburg is the best team. Harrison Central and Ridgewood bring back everything. Cosocton should be very good. NY will be the dark horse. In 2014 NY gave Athens a battle for 2.5 quarters. I wouldn't be surprised if Week 11 is NY at Wheelersburg

Region 19's favorite should be Wheelersburg but should be very competitive
I like your Week 11 possibility Raider of a NY @ Burg (seed 8 vs 1) match-up. That would be a high interest big game for the area.

This must mean you and some others have NY with a pretty decent record. They play some big boys in Athens and Logan and can pick up some serious points by beating someone like them, so where do you have NY finishing? 7-3? or something like that?

85yards
Riding the Bench

Post by 85yards »

With all these 10-0 prediction with a running clock on everyone, why are we still in the SOCII? All this sounds great until we get into a regional championship or greater. Then hold on to your seats.....

I agree with Fbnut that our schedule is our biggest weakness. Did Bishop Hartley stay in D-4? If so, they would be a great pickup during the regular season. If they're back down in D-5 with us, then I'd watch out picking us to win the region again, but I'd like to get a feel for them in the regular season. Larry Hall played Bishop Hartley during the 1990s, so also should Woodward.

I just went 85 yards straight thru the heart of the south- Ezekiel Elliott 1/1/15
bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

I believe Wheelersburg picks up Bishop Watterson next year

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

bleed_blue wrote:I believe Wheelersburg picks up Bishop Watterson next year
I believe Urban's kid will be a senior next season. Be nice if next year was a home game and we got to see him at the pirate ship and fire off a few cannon rounds.

Return to “Football”