Is this the year for burg?

Rolltanks
All Conference

Is this the year for burg?

Post by Rolltanks »

Coldwater has to replace over 20 seniors, and more importantly some very key players this year. They have the numbers like always but do they have enough talent. As good as the Mac is this year it is likely that if coldwater has a down year they could lose 2 or 3 games in conference play. Also they have to go on the road to play delphos Jefferson early. This is all kinda ifs and buts here but having seen them for many years I feel like it's now or never. I will say to burg fans don't read into coldwater a scrimmage vs wapak. They don't topically play first team players much in scrimmages and wapak is a good team. I would love to see burg get a title shot. To be honest though if coldwater gets to the semifinals again vs burg they will win that game. What do you guys think is this the year burg gets to the final?

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Re: Is this the year for burg?

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

The difference is that Coldwater is playing State Champion caliber teams each week throughout the regular season, they play at a higher level week in and week out, that Wheelersburg WILL NOT see...this in my opinion is the biggest difference that sets apart Wheelersburg and anyone from the MAC....especially Coldwater. The MAC has Fort recovery who won a state title last year but has never won a MAC title.....Burg just does not see that caliber of competition in its regular season. And I am in no way "blaming" the Pirates, they can only play the schedule put in front of them, but, that schedule in my honest opinion does not prepare them for the level of play they will see once they hit the final four....

Coldwater Cavaliers – 2015 Football Division V State Champions
Fort Recovery Indians – 2015 Football Division VII State Champions
Coldwater Cavaliers – 2014 Football Division V State Champions
Minster Wildcats – 2014 Football Division VI State Champions
Marion Local Flyers – 2014 Football Division VII State Champions
Coldwater Cavaliers – 2013 Football Division V State Champions
Marion Local Flyers – 2013 Football Division VII State Champions
Delphos St. John’s Blue Jays – 2013 Football Division VII State Semifinalist
Coldwater Cavaliers – 2012 Football Division V State Champions
Marion Local Flyers – 2012 Football Division VI State Champions
Marion Local Flyers – 2011 Football Division VI State Champions
Coldwater Cavaliers – 2011 Football Division V State Runner-Up
Delphos St. John’s Blue Jays – 2011 Football Division VI State Semifinalist
Delphos St. John’s Blue Jays – 2010 Football Division VI State Championship
Coldwater Cavaliers – 2010 Football Division V State Runner-Up
Coldwater Cavaliers – 2009 Football Division V State Runner-Up
Delphos St. John’s Blue Jays – 2009 Football Division VI State Runner-Up
Marion Local Flyers – 2009 Football Division VI State Semifinalist
Delphos St. John’s Blue Jays – 2008 Football Division VI State Championship
Marion Local Flyers – 2008 Football Division V State Semifinalist
Coldwater Cavaliers – 2007 Football Division IV State Championship
Marion Local Flyers – 2007 Football Division V State Championship

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

We can hope!

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

My main argument in this post is not weather burg can beat coldwater because I don think they would. It's that I feel like coldwater will have 6-9 wins this year. At 6 wins they probably won't get in to the playoffs. In years past they were a lock for 9 wins with only Marion local to challenge them. I feel like if they are down and don't make it in that's the break burg needs to reach the finals

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

As far as schedule who should they pick up? I was born and raised in nw Ohio and the only team from this area I knew as a football power was Clinton massie. Now burg is up with massie as state recognition is concerned. They get massie they play Jackson. Who else is there to pick up?

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

the only other thing they could do is to go after a top tier MAC school and sign a contract to get used to seeing that type of play. As far as Coldwater being down due to graduation, I don't buy that either.....sure they are replacing 20 seniors, but, I would have to believe they doing that year in and year out. Who got the most playing time last year against the best senior class in division V....that would be the underclassmen of Coldwater; they played day in and day out against that talent.

Do I think that Wheelersburg has a the best shot of any southern Ohio team to go to the Championships, I absolutely do and I hope they do. But I just feel that there is a lot of factors that make Coldwater a Champion 4 times in a row.....and obviously graduation is not the key factor....

but again I wish truly the best of luck to the Pirates...and any southern Ohio team that can make it that far....

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

also, 6 wins got Rock Hill into the playoffs last year...if they can make playoffs at 6 wins, I guarantee Coldwater will too.....I love my OVC but I am also realistic...If 3 teams from the OVC can make playoffs with mediocre records I have to believe that Coldwater can muster enough points to make the field of 8.....

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Aside from coldwater, ridge wood was the second best team burg played last year. Fortunately for Ridge wood they were very young last year and return almost everyone. I'm not 100% sold on this year's burg team. Of course we will know more as the season goes. I think burg will go 10-0 or 9-1(jackson) and will either lose to Ridge wood or coldwater in the playoffs. Even last year I don't think burg would have beat ccc. They were a very solid team. Coldwater is just a whole other beast.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg has depth but the line will have to get good and a little luck. It's very hard for a little guy to go all the way.

85yards
Riding the Bench

Post by 85yards »

Coldwater is ranked #1 in the state preseason DV poll. The Cavs will have 18 seniors and 22 Jrs., so them losing 20-Srs last year is the norm.

http://www.cavfootball.com/2016%20seaso ... oster.html

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/HnNAT2Putk ... -poll-.htm

I just went 85 yards straight thru the heart of the south- Ezekiel Elliott 1/1/15
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Coldwater will win 8 or 9 games and probably play for a state title.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'D CONCENTRATE ON WEEK 1 FIRST AND NOTHING ELSE.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

PopeSnoopDogThe1st wrote:also, 6 wins got Rock Hill into the playoffs last year...if they can make playoffs at 6 wins, I guarantee Coldwater will too.....I love my OVC but I am also realistic...If 3 teams from the OVC can make playoffs with mediocre records I have to believe that Coldwater can muster enough points to make the field of 8.....
Rock Hill had 7 wins
Went 7 and 2 for regular season and lost in play offs

You can't handle the truth
PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

gametime wrote:
PopeSnoopDogThe1st wrote:also, 6 wins got Rock Hill into the playoffs last year...if they can make playoffs at 6 wins, I guarantee Coldwater will too.....I love my OVC but I am also realistic...If 3 teams from the OVC can make playoffs with mediocre records I have to believe that Coldwater can muster enough points to make the field of 8.....
Rock Hill had 7 wins
Went 7 and 2 for regular season and lost in play offs

RH was 6-3 in regular season
losses were against River Valley, Coal Grove & Ironton
they lost in playoffs to Alexander

8/28 @ River Valley (Bidwell, OH) 26 - 0 Loss

9/5 Northwest (McDermott, OH) 21 - 14 Win

9/11 @ Oak Hill (Oak Hill, OH) 17 - 14 Win

9/18 @ Chesapeake (Chesapeake, OH) 27 - 20 (OT) Win

9/25 Dawson-Bryant (Coal Grove, OH) 33 - 21 Loss

10/2 Portsmouth (Portsmouth, OH) 38 - 14 Win

10/16 Ironton (Ironton, OH) 28 - 13 Loss