29%
Symmes Valley
16%

Total votes: 79

Blue08
Waterboy

Re: SOC1 2016

Post by Blue08 »

Any scrimmage updates? I know Northwest played Valley, Symmes Valley played Southeastern and East played Manchester. Wondering how the teams looked.

philbilly
Freshman Team

Post by philbilly »

My dad went to see Northwest play Valley the other day and he said they looked pretty good. Valley scored once on a pass play but had trouble moving the ball on the Mohawk defense. Northwest scored a field goal but moved the ball well on Valley's D. The scrimmage was set up with a 10 play at a time format. Northwest is still running a power running offense, the I- formation I think. He said the boys really looked in shape and were hitting hard. I know Valley's down this year but we usually can't hold a candle to them regardless. Also I heard 5 more boys have come out for football. That should help the cause.

js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Blue08 wrote:The last 2 years are the only time in the past 16 years that they have had a winning record vs SOC 1 teams. Why would you think that they could continue winning 5-6-7 games a year? With only 20 kids on the roster they will not be able to field a jv team. Symmes Valley, East, and Eastern all field JV squads and they are half the size. I hope they can sustain the success that they have the past couple years, although they lost a lot of good seniors last year. That with a new coach and new system I could see them struggle this season.

My point exactly, why tear a program down and not have the numbers to field younger JV teams that will be the future of your program? The kids who don't see a snap all year are the ones hurting your program. You can't stick a kid into a varsity game who isn't ready to compete at that higher level and expect good results. Running their guts out to the point that it's not longer conditioning doesn't help. I'm all for being in great shape and being tough on them, but they need to know that their coach is doing it to make them better. Sometimes new coaches go in with a mentality that their kids will be the toughest, strongest and best conditioned team and forget they can only push so hard until they get resistance.

Maybe Northwest will be good this year, maybe they won't, time will only tell. But next few years will be the proof in the pudding, and in the end, it all begins at the peewee level.

philbilly
Freshman Team

Post by philbilly »

From what I can tell the Northwest coaching staff doesn't seem to be working the kids any harder than coach Crabtree is at Valley. Who can argue with their success thru the years? I know that this is the first time I've seen them use the sled in years

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Northwest will never have a decent football program. They've had good coaches before. Noone will win there. The community will not let it happen.

philbilly
Freshman Team

Post by philbilly »

I hope you're wrong Oak. But from what I've seen through the years you're probably right. Anytime we hire a coach that could get the job done dissension rises up within the community it seems like the people do everything they can to get rid of the guy. Where are you going to find a better Coach than Larry Hall or Dick Tipton both who have coached at Northwest.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Eastern Pike played host to Clermont Northeastern (D5) on Monday and the Eagles looked solid played for over 2 hours and defense only gave up one TD. Martin had 4 TD passes and the Eagles receivers looked pretty good. Had 15 kids dress for the scrimmage have 20 total. We have some good skill position players but with only 20 kids the line is taking the hardest hit having to fill spots with kids that have never been on the line but seem eager to learn and do their job. Eagles go to Vinton County Friday night for a scrimmage starts at 7pm and end preseason at Racine for a jamboree game.

GO EAGLES
brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Eagles traveled out to Vinton County tonight and man was it hot. As far as the scrimmage not a lot happened if you were counting TDs the Eagles edged VC 2-1. Martin is playing the QB role really well throws the ball good can scramble,run and sure can lay a hit on a defender. Evan Leist has great hands and can run he will be matchup problem for most defenders. VC played their JV squad last couple possessions so the Eagles let some of their younger players take over and freshman Billy Crabtree looked really good. Eagles will be without RB Noah Gray for the first 5 games but will make an impact as soon as he suits up. The eagle D has played hard and looked good only allowing 2 TDs in the first 2 scrimmages. Coach and his staff have done a great job with these 20 kids and I'm sure every Friday night they will be ready to play and I still think they surprise some people this year.

GO EAGLES
brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Eagles received some good news late this week Jr RB Noah Gray has been giving the ok to play and not sit out the 5 games as originally thought. This makes the Eagles backfield in great shape with Martin,Gray and Cruze all getting carries. Jamboree game at Racine this friday.

GO EAGLES
brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

this close to the start of football season and u have to look hard to find the soc1 thread on preps are we all just basketball fans. Eagles travel to Millersport this week and Dayton Christian next week both were good games last year. hope the Eagles can start the season off with a win like we did last year.

GO EAGLES
js7_22
Varsity

Post by js7_22 »

Word has it that East has lost OL Blaine Scott due to a knee injury. This is just what has been told. Saying he will miss this season.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Brown22,

How have the Eagles been looking in their scrimmages?

How many players do they have dressed for Varsity and hopefully several remained with the program that has piloted the program. I tried to stay up on them last year, but updates and information were sometimes very limited. Hopefully they get a little more attention and one of the Eagle posters keeps everyone updated. You do a very good job of keeping things going and I for one appreciate your efforts.

I just hope that the fans understand how hard it is to build a program and keep on supporting Scott and his staff as they have fought and scratched to even get this going. I think it is absolutely amazing what they have done in Beaver and wish them the best.

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

Hoggy,

Eagles have looked pretty solid in the 2 scrimages and the jamboree game. we have 22 kids but as of now 20 dress. They play hard and we have some good skill position players, Clay Martin is now our QB big strong kid looks good sitting in the pocket and letting it go down field but knows when it's time to run and does it well, we got a transfer from Minford Noah Gray he is our RB has only played in the jamboree game but has great feet he is fast and can cut and hit his hole good Scott does a great job with making him an all purpose back and will catch passes out of the backfield. Evan Leist,Wes Hodge, and Owen Strong are our receiving core and do a good job all are pretty fast. The defense has been solid need a little work on our defensive backs but will make the adjustments that are needed. Just like basketball we need the community to come support these kids as much as possible the program is going in the right direction our Jr High started the season off with a win over southeastern tonight and I'm hoping our varsity does the same and we come back from Millersport with the W.

GO EAGLES
brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

js7_22 wrote:Word has it that East has lost OL Blaine Scott due to a knee injury. This is just what has been told. Saying he will miss this season.
That's a big loss that can't be replaced. I hate that has happen to the young man very talented athlete I hope he can recovery in a timely manner.

GO EAGLES
Fridaynite
Waterboy

Post by Fridaynite »

East fans , is that terrible news true about Blaine Scott ??? I TrueLy hope not ,,, what a great kid and takes away that guaranteed " go for it " on 4th and 2.... Get well soon big man !!

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Fridaynite wrote:East fans , is that terrible news true about Blaine Scott ??? I TrueLy hope not ,,, what a great kid and takes away that guaranteed " go for it " on 4th and 2.... Get well soon big man !!
Yes he is out for the season

brown22
Varsity

Post by brown22 »

I've not seen all scores yet but conference put up some points in week1 eagles,east,green,and S.V all put up a lot of points that's good.

GO EAGLES
Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

East will be the SOC I champs this year! Guaranteed! Very tough, hard nose, group of TEAM players fighting for every forward inch they can get on EVERY play. Go Tartans!

amzn
Waterboy

Post by amzn »

I think the Oaks and SV will definitely have a dog in this fight and who really knows about what Northwest has....One but of good news for East, their big man might be back later this year.

Return to “Football”