WAVERLY HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PARKING

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: WAVERLY HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PARKING

Post by greygoose »

He came down from up north, Lebanon I believe it was. Think his wife got a job down here and he got a job with the school.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I'll pay $2 if I have to, but I prefer to park a couple of blocks away because I don't want to have to battle the traffic after the game. At Waverly I park down on 2nd St. At Jackson, you really don't have much of a choice but to park up on the hill where Alumni Stadium is, which costs $2. I guess you could park in the old Jackson HS parking lot down the hill, but that's quite a distance from the stadium. At Portsmouth, parking is mostly free unless you want to park really close to the Trojan Coliseum, where spaces are very limited.

High school sports is still a good bargain compared to some other sporting events. I buy a season ticket for Portsmouth games so that 5 or 6 dollars on game night has already come out of my wallet a while back.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

BurgGrad6 wrote:If they charged at burg I would park at my house and walk lol.
Well said. I'm just over the hill from the stadium I'd be doing the same

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Dandy Don wrote:Wellston charges as well to park near the stadium. But you have the option to park off-site and walk two blocks for FREE.

It is $2 people, carpool and split it with a buddy. $1 each. For crying out loud big deal it is $7 to watch a game instead of $5. I bet all you 250 pound 5'-9" guys typing here and complaining about it could forego the bag of popcorn and pay the dang parking.

Unbelievable what some people will complain about. Won't hesitate to buy a $8.00 beer at a Reds game though will you.
I'm a reds fan and I wouldn't walk across the street to watch that SORRY EXCUSE for a team

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Bigdog
Freshman Team

Post by Bigdog »

Cpt. Obvious
JV Team

Post by Cpt. Obvious »

LMAO! Better zip it and just cough up the saw bucks! :(

Bigdog
Freshman Team

Post by Bigdog »

2 dollar? I mean you are going to whine about $2. Wow!! The money used for the stadium upgrades could not be used for teacher salaries or other educational needs. It is capital improvement monies. Raising a few dollars charging to park can help with up keep and improvement. The fact that people are making more of it than that is really silly.

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

Mad-Dogg wrote:
BurgGrad6 wrote:If they charged at burg I would park at my house and walk lol.
Well said. I'm just over the hill from the stadium I'd be doing the same

So the burg athletes aren't worth 2 bucks to you?
Bet when you played football at the burg you would have wanted the support?

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

No I already pay 6$ for a ticket.... And I pay taxes. Porter township probably has the highest taxes in this area. So no. The extra $2 isn't worth it.. Instead of charging to park the school sales Artie..
Last edited by BurgGrad6 on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

I think I have all this figured out. This is a secret plan to discourage "Wheelerburg" fans from coming to the game. It will be a strange sight not to see anyone in the visitor's bleachers. ;)

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Besides, burg makes more than enough from the gate to pay for their sports. We don't get in over our head with stuff. We have well educated individuals who plan out projects in advance, and make sure we have funds to cover them.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

old benchwarmer wrote:I think I have all this figured out. This is a secret plan to discourage "Wheelerburg" fans from coming to the game. It will be a strange sight not to see anyone in the visitor's bleachers. ;)
Lol, there may be some truth behind this!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

toast wrote:Let's be clear on a few things. Our football/soccer facility was in shambles just a couple of years ago. The field was an embarrassment and the stands had been declared unsafe. The locker rooms were appalling. We had one of the worst facilities in the State of Ohio. It was a sound decision to go with a new turf field. With soccer and football being played on the same field it would have cost thousands of dollars a year to maintain a grass field. And the new turf field is used by many of our spring sports also, when the weather presents a challenge. It's literally being utilized year round.

Waverly now has a good chance of hosting a first and second round playoff football game each year as a result of our turf field, additional seating and other upgrades. Those games will bring in thousands of dollars to our school and community. And most all of the labor associated with those games will be volunteer.

The downtown basketball gym was also badly in need of upgrades. We will now save thousands of dollars in heating and lighting cost. I'm glad we have a school board that took the bold step to address these situations. They could have went the "cheap route". But as we all know that usually ends up costing more money in the long run. High school sports are an important part of nearly all communities. The benefits are numerous and last a lifetime. I for one appreciate the improvements!
Just to play devils advocate, so you spent $500,000 on a turf field in order to save $10,000 a year taking care of a grass field, in addition to potentially raking in $3,000-4,000 a year from playoff games? Not sure that adds up.

I agree improvements needed to be made to Waverly's stadium. Not sure the turf needed to be part of that.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Mad-Dogg wrote:
Dandy Don wrote:Wellston charges as well to park near the stadium. But you have the option to park off-site and walk two blocks for FREE.

It is $2 people, carpool and split it with a buddy. $1 each. For crying out loud big deal it is $7 to watch a game instead of $5. I bet all you 250 pound 5'-9" guys typing here and complaining about it could forego the bag of popcorn and pay the dang parking.

Unbelievable what some people will complain about. Won't hesitate to buy a $8.00 beer at a Reds game though will you.
I'm a reds fan and I wouldn't walk across the street to watch that SORRY EXCUSE for a team
To watch the Reds sometimes it requires beer, no matter the price.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

bman,
Where did you get they were paying $10,000 a year to take care of the grass field? They spent $50,000-$60,000 per year, if not more, to play football and soccer on a dangerous mud field - it really was pathetic. The two years prior to the installation of the turf was a disaster and with the site the way it was, they would never get grass to grow there. One end of the field was three feet lower than the other and there was NO drainage. After about week 5 it was a pathetic mud bowl.

People, the $2.00 parking is not to pay for what has already "been down". It is to offset transportation to and from ALL sporting events and for future athletic facility improvements and upgrades.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

smurray wrote:bman,
Where did you get they were paying $10,000 a year to take care of the grass field? They spent $50,000-$60,000 per year, if not more, to play football and soccer on a dangerous mud field - it really was pathetic. The two years prior to the installation of the turf was a disaster and with the site the way it was, they would never get grass to grow there. One end of the field was three feet lower than the other and there was NO drainage. After about week 5 it was a pathetic mud bowl.

People, the $2.00 parking is not to pay for what has already "been down". It is to offset transportation to and from ALL sporting events and for future athletic facility improvements and upgrades.
The field was terrible and something needed done before kids started getting major injuries. I will however say not to use the transportation to and from all sporting events as a reason for $2 parking. If this was the case every single school would be doing it and Waverly wouldn't have just started charging this year coincidentally right after the upgrades that were made this summer. You want to use future athletic improvements and upgrades, that's fine, but don't try to toss out transportation an reasoning simply not true. Otherwise charging would've been going on for many many years as transportation has always existed in all sporting events.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

The official statement from the school said money was to be used for Facility maintenance and upgrades. Transportation was something that came from another source, not the school. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

hbk2016 wrote:The official statement from the school said money was to be used for Facility maintenance and upgrades. Transportation was something that came from another source, not the school. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
You are correct, smurray however is someone with a lot more information on this matter then simply a person posting to the internet because of something they heard. I knew the transportation thing had nothing to do with it.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Thanks for the concern but I posted what I was asked to post.
Burg people getting on here complaining about it. Burg upped their tickets to $6.00 so a family of 4 will pay $24.00 while at Waverly that same family of 4 will pay $22.00. PAY LESS OVERALL BUT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PARKING FEE - MAKES SENSE HUH?
Last edited by smurray on Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

I hate getting nickeled and dimed to death as much as the next guy, but I think it makes sense to have those who use the athletic facilities to be the ones who pay for them instead of all the tax payers. It beats pay to play.

By the way at 6:00, there was a lot of free parking within a block of the stadium on 2nd street if you can't afford the $2. By game time, the parking lots looked full.

Return to “Football”