Portsmouth 33 West 26

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: WK2 West (1-0) @ Portsmouth (1-0)

Post by greygoose »

48 min. game 1 call isn't going to make or break it there's plays throughout the entire game that could've changed the outcome.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Total yards: 309 for West, 264 for Phs

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Turnovers: 6 for West, 3 for Phs

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Penalties: Phs 5 for 45, West 10 for 96

Cats81
Waterboy

Post by Cats81 »

West had to many cheap shot costs the game

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Turnovers and missed opportunities were definitely the difference. And Luke Purdy. He's a phenomenal athlete.

I would like to see the pass interference again from closer. It did appear as the poster said. Kids jump for what was a desperation throw on 4th down, everyone calls incomplete. Receiver fall to field. Referee pulls out flag late.
West held Parker in check. Purdy hurt them with his legs running and extending plays to pass. He was the best athlete on the field and the difference.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Portsmouth was pretty sloppy in the first half too, we had one ridiculous penalty far away from the ball that cost us. Have to stay sharp for four quarters.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Congratulations to Portsmouth
They are a solid club. Both teams will win games this year. This sets Portsmouth in good shape to make the playoffs.

West is young and has had a couple crutial injuries. Hopefully they get one back. We need to be able to run the ball a little more consistently. Take some pressure off the sophomore quarterback. They should improve and be hard to handle by the end of the season.

Buckeye24
Varsity

Post by Buckeye24 »

I was pretty impressed by both sides. I wouldn't be surprised if they both win 7-8 games.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Westfan wrote:Turnovers and missed opportunities were definitely the difference. And Luke Purdy. He's a phenomenal athlete.

I would like to see the pass interference again from closer. It did appear as the poster said. Kids jump for what was a desperation throw on 4th down, everyone calls incomplete. Receiver fall to field. Referee pulls out flag late.
West held Parker in check. Purdy hurt them with his legs running and extending plays to pass. He was the best athlete on the field and the difference.
Westfan I definitely agree with you on Luke Purdy he is a phenomenal athlete.
West definitely has some good young ballplayers. The sophomore qb is gonna be a good one. Was really impressed with #62 that kids a beast. The future looks bright on the Westside.
I truly believe they should of won the game.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Definitely could of won. Teams are evenly matched. If Portsmouth runs the table or close in the OVC they will be a high seed. Its not far fetched to say they could see each other again.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

Congrats Portsmouth. Now................... Get ready for the storm. Pirates gonna make it rain!

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Cats81 wrote:West had to many cheap shot costs the game
No way, not west :o

Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

West has been the better team and should have won the last 4? 5? Games .

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Close, exciting game, terrible officiating though, on both sides. Parker wasn't really much of a factor, then he ended up getting hurt (hope he's okay). West D line shut the running game for Portsmouth down for the most part, except when Purdy would make plays. Portsmouth was lost in coverage, that's how West scored 2 easy TD's. Portsmouth was able to capitalize on the West turnovers as well as all the penalties west had. Was nice to see a good crowd for the first home game. Good luck to West the rest of the season!

Who Dey!
Noitall
JV Team

Post by Noitall »

The way west coach acted all night reflects on all the unsportsmanlike penalty west had.

Buckeye24
Varsity

Post by Buckeye24 »

Noitall wrote:The way west coach acted all night reflects on all the unsportsmanlike penalty west had.
If you talk to him, you would realize he's actually one of the classier coaches around, and his anger was being vented at terrible officiating. Every coach shows it from time to time.

The unsportsmanlike penalties were unintentional helmet-to-helmet hits, hits coming in a second after the play was over, etc. You're trying to make it seem like it was a dirty game, when it was far from. In fact, if you even paid attention, you would realize that players on both sides often congratulated the opposition on good plays. It was a friendly game all around.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

The big question is how significant is Parkers injury? I'm glad the Trojans gutted out this win but, the pass coverage was horrendous. I hope they can improve drastically or Burg will have a lot of fun exploiting it.

For now, great win. 2-0 for the first time since I can't remember when. Even with the defensive miscues, the defense is vastly improved. I hope they are 100% healthy for the Burg.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Buckeye24 wrote: If you talk to him, you would realize he's actually one of the classier coaches around, and his anger was being vented at terrible officiating. Every coach shows it from time to time.

The unsportsmanlike penalties were unintentional helmet-to-helmet hits, hits coming in a second after the play was over, etc. You're trying to make it seem like it was a dirty game, when it was far from. In fact, if you even paid attention, you would realize that players on both sides often congratulated the opposition on good plays. It was a friendly game all around.
Good post. Coach Johnson is a good guy and coach. The discipline and on field behavior of the players has improved since he took over. There were a tons of mistakes made by West and they cost them the game, but that had as much to do with the first big game of a very young team. I think West started 2 seniors on offense and 3 on defense. They will get better.

The officiating did look bad. Even Portsmouth people said this.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Overall, sloppy game. Portsmouth needs to clean up the silly penalties and tighten up the pass coverage. West made several big plays off of Trojan missed tackles and sleepy coverage. I hear Parker could've came back last night but was held out. Hope the Trojans have a great week of practice and get ready for the Burg.

Return to “Football”