Playoffs:D4 #6 Union Local (9-1) @ #3 Waverly (9-1)

phishing
Waterboy

Post by phishing »

Good Luck to Waverly .

May the Birds of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose.
Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

I look for this to be a shootout. Waverly needs to continue to spread the ball around on offense like they did last week and like they did last year. Let Walls utilize all of his weapons. He can make the appropriate reads when given the time by his line. Hopefully, the defense and especially the special teams can contain Gust. I'm anxious to see him play because it sounds like he is a great player.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Waverly better have someone who can run to catch Zach Gust, the UL Jet flyer. That kid is the OVAC's version of Devin Hester, Billy 'White Shoes' Johnson, and grease lightning combined.

I believe he has potential to play D-1 next year. If you kick/punt it to him you will lose.

UL quarterback Jordan Barbina is very good for a first-year starter. Would like to see this game but the 3 hr. drive just sorta takes the buzz off.

Good luck Jets.

dirtfan
Waterboy

Post by dirtfan »

yea, gucci you are quite right they need to throw the ball more to other players

instead of trying to get the offenseive coach's kid the glory all the time don't get me wrong he's a great ball player but he has been having trouble catching the ball the last 2 or 3 weeks it just goes through his hands.
(either that or get a super sized jar of stick-um to soak his hands in all day before game time)

the goode kid has some awsome hands, and hopefully the williams kid will get the cast off he is also a great asset that waverly has missed pretty much all season the arnett kid looked really good friday night along with the patay boy
need to use everyone they cant cover every body at once

they also need to work on kick off returns and punt returns
it has not looked good this year
it got waverly through the regular season but it better improve
the competition level is going to pick-up now and we need better field postion than stuck on the 10 yard line or goal line
from a miss handled ball

jungle cat
Freshman Team

Post by jungle cat »

Good Luck ot the Tiger and a win the the area, but i think Waverly has there hands full.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

I agree jungle cat waverly does have their hands full, but i think they will be well prepared for this game!!!! good luck waverly :!:

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Good luck to the Waverly Tigers vs. Union Local. Survive and advance!!

StCRedDevils
Riding the Bench

Post by StCRedDevils »

Good Luck Union Local!!! Represent the OVAC and Belmont County well...

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

Be nice to see a UL-St. C. rematch of the 27-20 2ot game earlier in the year. This time it'd be in a Regional final. Wow, prolly at Ferry Stadium too.

Just win Jets!!

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

If Waverly returns to what they were doing last year and earlier this year they should be able to win this one at home. If they play like they did against Valley and 'Burg UL might be able to pull off the upset.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Can anyone advise what games Union Local got tapes from?

DEmaniac
Waterboy

Post by DEmaniac »

http://www.wtov9.com/union-local/11549923/detail.html

Check this thread. I wish we had something like this down here!

Looking out over the Ohio river, waiting for the tranquility that is NOT Friday night Football!!
bookem13
JV Team

Post by bookem13 »

Well, it sounds as if UL is going to try and come in here and jam it down our throats. I don't worry about that as much as I do a team that can spread the ball around and throw it downfield. That's obviously why the Burg gave us so much trouble. That's the biggest reason I wanted to play UL instead of Portsmouth in round 1. Now, it may be one of those "be careful what you wish for" things, but I still think that style gives us the best chance of success defensively.

Now, offensively, I don't look for us to come out and pound the ball on the ground. We haven't done it all year, so I don't really see us starting now. This really worries me. When you play against a team that grinds it out, it is very important to keep your offense on the field. If we go out early and have a few three and outs, we're going to be in trouble. I know we like to attack downfield, but we can't do it at the expense of not moving the chains early. We have got to dictate the tempo of this game. We can't get behind early and try to play catch up. Time of possession has not been in our favor for any game we've played (that I can recall), so it's very important that we're effective when we do have the ball. We have to stop playing these games on our side of the field. Field position is king this time of year.

Go Tigers...let's get it done!

bookem13
JV Team

Post by bookem13 »

Correction...I was totally wrong about UL. I just spoke with a guy whose opinion I trust very much, and he told me that UL is almost like us looking in a mirror (he watched their last two games on film). They do what we do, besides having a QB with the big-time downfield arm (their kid is only a sophomore) that we have. He said all of the talk about their skilled kids is well-deserved. The punt/kick returner is flat out nasty...do not kick it to him...period!

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

good luck waverly

Gucci
Riding the Bench

Post by Gucci »

It'll will interesting to see how Waverly defends UL. We should be prepared for that type of offense seeing how we spread the field out as well. Here's to a good week of practice and preparation. GO TIGERS!

72Xcurl
Freshman Team

Post by 72Xcurl »

bookem13 wrote:Well, it sounds as if UL is going to try and come in here and jam it down our throats. I don't worry about that as much as I do a team that can spread the ball around and throw it downfield. That's obviously why the Burg gave us so much trouble. That's the biggest reason I wanted to play UL instead of Portsmouth in round 1. Now, it may be one of those "be careful what you wish for" things, but I still think that style gives us the best chance of success defensively.

Now, offensively, I don't look for us to come out and pound the ball on the ground. We haven't done it all year, so I don't really see us starting now. This really worries me. When you play against a team that grinds it out, it is very important to keep your offense on the field. If we go out early and have a few three and outs, we're going to be in trouble. I know we like to attack downfield, but we can't do it at the expense of not moving the chains early. We have got to dictate the tempo of this game. We can't get behind early and try to play catch up. Time of possession has not been in our favor for any game we've played (that I can recall), so it's very important that we're effective when we do have the ball. We have to stop playing these games on our side of the field. Field position is king this time of year.

Go Tigers...let's get it done!

Well said bookem. I agree totally. If we play like we did against Minford, look out.

GO TIGERS
Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

Good luck Waverly!

Region 15
JV Team

Post by Region 15 »

bookem13, That is a correct assessment , U.L. will not try to "jam it" down your throat. Actually their running is only 160 lbs. They pass and go for the big play. Their quarterback is a junior, started last season as a soph. They also have a big 6'5 kid (Blackman) at TE who is their number two receiver.

If part of the Waverly game plan is to not kick or punt to Gust, and they are successful with this, they has reduced much of the scoring of U.L.

Win or lose, don't forget about Union Local. These guys are all on the basketball team and they are good.

WJfan4life
Freshman Team

Post by WJfan4life »

going with Waverly in this one.

Return to “Football”