6.) Fairland (HC Cunningham)
7.) South Point (HC Coffman)
8.) Ironton (HC Vass)

What are your thoughts!!

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Re: Best Coaching Staff in the OVC?

Post by MeyerSpread »

So the 2015 OVC Championship Coach who is currently undefeated in OVC play has the worse coaching staff? Interesting....

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

fred_flinstone
Freshman Team

Post by fred_flinstone »

This year once again IMO Ironton has the biggest and strongest line and pretty good running backs but it looks like they are not getting better. In fact I've seen them twice and I feel like they have gotten worse. They were the best OVC team Individual talent wise last year and they barely won multiple OVC games. They are not getting better each week like other teams are and that is clear! People also wanted to run Knipp at RH out two years ago because he was "the worst coach ever" now look what he is doing. Since Vass has been there they have gotten worse each year, and its not all because of talent because there is still pretty good talent there. I am also entitled to my own opinion as are you. So lets see your list

MeyerSpread
JV Team

Post by MeyerSpread »

I don't have a list. I am not as familiar with the OVC as you, obviously. Mine are just based on results and they have not lost a OVC game yet since joining the conference so seeing him at the bottom is just very confusing to me. Also, winning the close games is a sign of a good coaching staff not bad so your point about having close games kind of helps him not hurts him...

No dog in the fight but putting Ironton at the bottom of anything just seems outrageous to me until they start losing which could very well happen but hasn't yet.

fred_flinstone
Freshman Team

Post by fred_flinstone »

winning close games against teams you are far superior to doesn't make me feel like you are a good coach at all

Hercules
JV Team

Post by Hercules »

Gallia Academy!!! Not even close!!!

fred_flinstone
Freshman Team

Post by fred_flinstone »

I believe coach Riffe is a good coach he just took over a program not in very good shape and not much talent. This is his third year I think in two more years you will see Gallia start to compete in the OVC

The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

Ironton. When you have 2 of the greatest Coaches of ALL-TIME....Bob Lutz and Mike Burcham. These guys showed Southern Ohio what true knowledge of the game was,especially the X's and O's. And the Physical Fitness Program? 2nd to none. And the most amazing thing is that they did this without a whole lot of talent,compared to what other places had. So I am quite positive that the current Coaches at IHS have studied these legends and far outclass any opposition as far as knowledge and the ability to apply it.

Hercules
JV Team

Post by Hercules »

IF GA is competitive in 2 years it will be because the sophomores they are now playing will be seniors! Not because of any "coaching"

BigChuck
JV Team

Post by BigChuck »

Ironton ran off a far better coach in Merrill Tripplett than what they have now...

There's the BURG....then there's everyone else!
[img][/http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xr29B08bBPw/T ... oll.jpgimg]
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The Inspector wrote:Ironton. When you have 2 of the greatest Coaches of ALL-TIME....Bob Lutz and Mike Burcham. These guys showed Southern Ohio what true knowledge of the game was,especially the X's and O's. And the Physical Fitness Program? 2nd to none. And the most amazing thing is that they did this without a whole lot of talent,compared to what other places had. So I am quite positive that the current Coaches at IHS have studied these legends and far outclass any opposition as far as knowledge and the ability to apply it.
Bob Lutz was a great recruiter. Talent wins games

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I think he was being sarcastic.

Cpt. Obvious
JV Team

Post by Cpt. Obvious »

fred_flinstone wrote:This year once again IMO Ironton has the biggest and strongest line and pretty good running backs but it looks like they are not getting better. In fact I've seen them twice and I feel like they have gotten worse. They were the best OVC team Individual talent wise last year and they barely won multiple OVC games. They are not getting better each week like other teams are and that is clear! People also wanted to run Knipp at RH out two years ago because he was "the worst coach ever" now look what he is doing. Since Vass has been there they have gotten worse each year, and its not all because of talent because there is still pretty good talent there. I am also entitled to my own opinion as are you. So lets see your list
Have to agree with ya, haven't seen so little done with so much available in a long time. When ironton joined the OVC it was all laughs and comments that Ironton would destroy the OVC every year and dominate until the end of the world. I believe they beat a young coal grove team by 2 pts last year. They may very well end up winning it again but theres no argument that the coaching there is sub-par to most other OVC teams. I may have put Kidd at coal grove a little higher but it's only his 2nd year so definitely can't argue with ya about it.

Stan_Marsh
JV Team

Post by Stan_Marsh »

fred_flinstone wrote:winning close games against teams you are far superior to doesn't make me feel like you are a good coach at all
Agree with this. To me it's just a sign of underachievement and the kids just being purely talented enough to pull out the win in the end.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

BigChuck wrote:Ironton ran off a far better coach in Merrill Tripplett than what they have now...
Amen to that!

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

I would say Andy Clark. Year in and out puts a quality team on the field

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

The best staff is nothing without the coaches and teams below them. So it is better which school has the best program. Since some schools do not take the time or want to/ other reasons to make a program. As well as do parents have influence over who plays instead of the playing ability on the field.
Some of these coaches are only in their first few years so really hard to evaluate.

1 Chesapeake

Rock Hill hard to say with all the ups and downs on and off the field. Staff does change

Coal Grove same as above but like Ironton the past is the past you can move on and build for the future or allow the BS to get in the way.

South Point and Fairland have players with talent some that do not play or want to put in the time to improve.

Portsmouth getting started in the right direction. Big change in team and who they are playing. It has been a long time since they had good teams over a 5 year period.

Gallia will never be a very good team until the get a stadium by the school. That has been a disconnect since the move. It is another hurdle the players have to overcome.

Improve the program from when the kids start playing. Keep outside influences out or down as much as possible. Have a year round program including a priority on school work. Then the game time staff will be better. Staffs also need to improve from the first game to the end of the season as players get hurt then as players earn or not earn playing time. It is a team not players with bad attitudes or just being on a team means more than working harder to earn wins. Being good at the lower levels and having parents tell you good job does not mean anything when you are on the field playing Varsity football. Game is played on the field. Be part of a positive hard working always improving program or take your chances. Work smarter and harder not just put in time.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Has to be Chesapeake, starts with Phil Davis's impact on Andy Clark. Continues down into the position coaches. Usually fundamentally sound in all three aspects (offense, defense, special teams) and always win with class. When the game is over, the starters come out and the young guys get experience. Had a rough stretch a few years ago but they have had the athleticism the past two seasons that they always had

ROLL PEAKE
Firebreather
Freshman Team

Post by Firebreather »

I always heard in high school football "Its not the x's and o's, its the Jimmys and Joes!"

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

wobycat wrote:I think he was being sarcastic.

I think you're on to something woby. and they ain't even lost an ovc game yet. trust me ironton's goals yearly are much bigger than winning another gold football.but we are currently struggling mightily.a big win against the tomcats would sure help the cause here.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

Return to “Football”