Best Coaching Staff in the OVC?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Best Coaching Staff in the OVC?

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Cpt. Obvious wrote:
fred_flinstone wrote:This year once again IMO Ironton has the biggest and strongest line and pretty good running backs but it looks like they are not getting better. In fact I've seen them twice and I feel like they have gotten worse. They were the best OVC team Individual talent wise last year and they barely won multiple OVC games. They are not getting better each week like other teams are and that is clear! People also wanted to run Knipp at RH out two years ago because he was "the worst coach ever" now look what he is doing. Since Vass has been there they have gotten worse each year, and its not all because of talent because there is still pretty good talent there. I am also entitled to my own opinion as are you. So lets see your list
Have to agree with ya, haven't seen so little done with so much available in a long time. When ironton joined the OVC it was all laughs and comments that Ironton would destroy the OVC every year and dominate until the end of the world. I believe they beat a young coal grove team by 2 pts last year. They may very well end up winning it again but theres no argument that the coaching there is sub-par to most other OVC teams. I may have put Kidd at coal grove a little higher but it's only his 2nd year so definitely can't argue with ya about it.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE W'S CAP'N. AND SO FAR THAT'S ALL IT'S BEEN. TILL SOMEONE PROVES DIFF'RENT.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
ravensfan9
Riding the Bench

Post by ravensfan9 »

Here is my list: There are only two proven coaches that have consistently won games, been in the playoffs, and won championships.

1. Chesapeake
2. Ironton

Then honestly...the rest could go anywhere.

Portsmouth always has great talent every year...struggle to win games.
Fairland has good talent, but no depth...they play teams tough, play hard, and are closer in most games than people think they should be.
Coal Grove has probably had the best talent in the conference the past 2/3 years, definitely the most experienced, but has played a weak schedule (opponents are 1-5) and last season finished fourth with top level talent.
Rock Hill had a great season last year, and is looking to have another good season this year. Its hard though to forget the years when they had great talent with the McCollister kid at QB and couldn't win. Kudos for trying to turn it around.
South Point and Gallia just simply have a way to go.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I look for things in this league to continue to be very competitive in the OVC, and it appears we have great parity league wise.which I did not think would be the case football wise. like I say I was probably the last to see how much the program and district had changed. but the tigers are the defending OVC champs until the standings say different. and as of yet unbeaten in the league.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
fred_flinstone
Freshman Team

Post by fred_flinstone »

Mark my word if Vass wins the conference he will still lose his job this year!

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Well Fred if that is the case as you say Vass will be gone even if winning the league. Then even in Bedrock who would want to be coach. People were mad when Lutz left and then when no one wanted the job the players asked Triplett to take over after he turned the job down. People were mad at him from the beginning even though they made it to the playoffs. Ran him off and Lutz back. Never the same as before. Then the new group and people are not happy again. The turmoil off the field effects the play on the field. Sure there are things not going well but without a doubt the support of the team by the community is no where close to where it was before. By thinking this is just a coaching problem is people with blinders on. Hard to build on unstable ground then expect to bring in another builder to fix things. Without a solid foundation and solid support done right it can not produce a solid program.

fred_flinstone
Freshman Team

Post by fred_flinstone »

There was solid support there and still is! This is not something Ironton is used to everybody is still in a state of shock. This has nothing to do with the Fans, the Tigers have the most fans at every home game in the OVC and I can still here that stupid T I G E R S- TIGERS chant Rick Mcnight leads. When the fans, players and administration see that the wheels are falling off and that their team isn't getting better each week like it should then nobody is happy. When a coach let's players join well after the season has begun and after 2 a days and those players aren't forced to make up the conditioning then all the players second guess the coach because why should they have to continue to put in hard work if Jim and Jack can just waltz in whenever and not pay for it. EVERYTHING starts with coaching and the coach, what type of work ethic does he have, is he intense, does he coach hard, does he expect a lot out of his players? Players embody their coach, I am a firm believer of that and right now the Tigers are acting just like their coach. Just exactly what other support do you want the fans to show? They are showing up for the games, do you want them to cheer for a good punt or cheer for not losing yardage on the play? The parents/fans can't play or coach. I look at it like this Chesapeake was very good through the 90's in to the mid 2000's then had plenty of down years from about 2006-2010 and the attendance was horrible and people started second guessing the greatest football coach to ever walk the sidelines at Chesapeake, he coached one more year and correct me if I am wrong but that team won the conference I believe and there wasn't to many people there to cheer for them. Now coach Clark has continued the same traditions and styles Coach Davis had and finally the stadium is nearly full on Friday nights. I noticed it last week and this week as I was at the bottom of the steps about to walk to my seat and thought man it's great that the crowd looks like this now and is here supporting! But it took winning and playoff appearances to make it happen. Heck Andy Clarks third year they had a losing record and people were disgruntled and wanted him fired and Chesapeake didn't have nearly the tradition Ironton has had over the past 30+ years. Face it man it's over! The players don't want to work or play for this staff because they are a joke. Vass won last year on the coat tails of Lutz and what he instilled in his players and because the OVC was wayyyyy down. Well now that they have had a few years to learn bad habits and have been aloud to be undisciplined well it shows each week. Again I will say the PARENT/FANS can't play, coach, or be discipline on the field! One last thing, think about Marshall under Pruit it was about winning championships and playing hard and it was a sell out every weekend, well guess what then the Ironton Beloved Mark Snyder came in and totally took the wind out of Marshalls sails, terrible recruiting and constant losing records, then Doc Holiday comes in and the recruiting gets better, they start winning championships and guess what the fans are back behind them and there are more people attending games. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE COACHING AND THE PRODUCT ON THE FIELD! I'm sorry your best friends with VASS but it's time for pack it up.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Duncan and the Portsmouth staff made a case tonight.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Portsmouth Staff pulled out a big win after being down early. That is just 1 game.How do they play next week and the rest of the season. It is still early on this staff but they are going in the right direction.

fred_flinstone
Freshman Team

Post by fred_flinstone »

I'm on Duncan! They are getting better every week and they have the ability to win the conference.

The Inspector
Varsity

Post by The Inspector »

And just think what Bob had to overcome Fred. He never had very many game-changing athletes. Don't believe he had too much home-grown talent. Probably had to bus them in from all over Lawrence Co. I have heard of city schools where a majority of players could just walk to school and practice if necessary. I doubt he had any high-impact transfer athletes come there to play. I have heard of schools who get them from Kitts Hill,Ashland,Huntington,Proctorville,Coal Grove,Green,The Southern Point,and elsewhere. And I am sure there were never kids"held Back" there like at some other places. Quite sure that you had to have a 2.5 GPA to be eligible to play there. I have heard of places where a 1.0 GPA would get you on the field. I know some schools allow Sunday activities for teams.I.E....film work,lifting,meetings....etc..etc. Sure Bob would not be allowed to do that by the ISD. I know of some places through the years where the schools would have some officiating crews in their"pockets" so to say. Visiting schools would come in year after year and just get hammered and homered by these "officials". Of course I have heard that Bob had to overcome this also because his teams were always getting jobbed at home in Tanks stadium. No question what this Coach had to overcome.

Return to “Football”