Portsmouth West 2008

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

Not saying Waverly won't be good, but West lost a lot less than anyone in front of them, and their talent were sophomores and juniors. Look what Minford, Wheelersburg, and Waverly lost. Essentially, West has everyone back.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Schedule should look something like this:

Fairland-Returns alot from a team that improved over the season. Good skill Players.

Portsmouth- Lost a great senior class, but had a lot of good young kids, especially sophomores to be.

South Point-Good team. Played a great schedule last year and played them tough. I understand that they have alot coming back.

Rock Hill-Lost alot. Expect them to be down a little.

Chesapeake-Had a really good QB and some good speed, but little size. Don't know who they return

Northwest-Improved last year. Still have a long way to go.

Waverly-Lost a great senior class. Have a couple really good skill kids back, but I look for them to take a few steps back.

Minford-Again lost a great bunch of seniors. Improving program.

Valley-I know they lost the 2 skill kids that hurt us. Still have a ways to go although we laid the egg and they beat us last year.

Wheelersburg-Burg will be lacking in seniors this year, but will have a great bunch of juniors. Burg is Burg, their always good.

All and all. If West does the things in the offseason like I think they will. We can be very good. Could do as well as 10-0 and couple rounds in the playoffs. The talents there. Let's hope they reach their potential.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

siderman wrote:Schedule should look something like this:

Fairland-Returns alot from a team that improved over the season. Good skill Players.

Portsmouth- Lost a great senior class, but had a lot of good young kids, especially sophomores to be.

South Point-Good team. Played a great schedule last year and played them tough. I understand that they have alot coming back.

Rock Hill-Lost alot. Expect them to be down a little.

Chesapeake-Had a really good QB and some good speed, but little size. Don't know who they return

Northwest-Improved last year. Still have a long way to go.

Waverly-Lost a great senior class. Have a couple really good skill kids back, but I look for them to take a few steps back.

Minford-Again lost a great bunch of seniors. Improving program.

Valley-I know they lost the 2 skill kids that hurt us. Still have a ways to go although we laid the egg and they beat us last year.

Wheelersburg-Burg will be lacking in seniors this year, but will have a great bunch of juniors. Burg is Burg, their always good.

All and all. If West does the things in the offseason like I think they will. We can be very good. Could do as well as 10-0 and couple rounds in the playoffs. The talents there. Let's hope they reach their potential.

I like what you put together here about West but I think it will be important that Coach-T gets paid Coaches this year to help him. He can not be expected to bring the program to the top with only 3 paid Coaches on his staff entire staff from 7th thru 12th. But once again good infornation. Thanks!

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

I know Wheelersburg is D5 and most of the other schools, especially the first 5 are D4, correct?

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Fairland-D4 Region 15

Portsmouth- D4 Region 15

South Point-D4 Region 15

Rock Hill-D4 Region 15

Chesapeake-D5 Region 19

Northwest-D4 Region 15

Waverly-D4 Region 15

Minford-D5 Region 19

Valley-D5 Region 19

Wheelersburg-D5 Region 19

Looking at the schedule, to get any chance at a home game, West will probably have to beat either South Point or Wheelersburg. Portsmouth will have a good team, but will probably loose to Wheelersburg and then to Ironton, Logan, and Zaneville if they play those same teams in their league this year. So if West were to beat them, we wouldn't get a great deal of second level. Like I said, when we beat Rock Hill we usually get alot of second level points from them, but they will be down some this year and I know that they probably picked up at least 1 extra loss with Wheelersburg.

Looking at it, we off course play all the SOC II schools and we play all but 1 (Coal Grove) of the OVC schools. The only other team not in those leagues is Portsmouth. So if we have a good record against those two leagues, we should be in good shape points wise, because when everyone you play plays everyone else, your gonna get the 2nd level points from someone. ;-)

As for paid coaches, I wouldn't look for alot of help especially why Pat Ciraso is Superintendent. It's pretty widely known that she hates sports, at least male sports. We did get maybe a little help with Kyle Phyllips and one other whom I can't remember his name getting on the school board. Maybe that will help, I now Kyle would try. Maybe we could raise some money. How much are we talking about?

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

Jungle Cat,
I figured by now that the Fighting Tiger fans would be off of Triplett's back.Where are you getting that Triplett will not make it at West.Ironton has their coach back.It doesn't matter who would have replaced Lutz,the same would be said about any other coach.The only way Triplett had a chance was to win state by 50 points.Triplett is a very good coach,seems to do good everywhere he goes.Very successful at SV,the only coach at RV that can say he beat Gallia Academy,did good at Oak Hill and took Ironton to the playoffs.You have made a really good,off the wall assumption.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

I feel West has several problems to deal with. Hopefully one was taken care of by hiring Triplett and staying with him. Additionally there needs to be a change of attitude at West. This is by the players, parents, community and school board. Until they decide to address the discipline and respect problems they will continue to struggle. Too many times players are more interested in starting trouble than they are playing football and showing respect. I'm not saying they shouldn't play with emotion, but do it with class.

In my opinion West under achieved last season. They returned a good core group of Juniors which many saw time as sophomores. I felt they should have been a strong contender for the SOC but seemed to lose their fire toward the end of the season.

West will have to prove themselves next year to make me a believer. They should be a solid football team, but they had the talent this season as well.
Last edited by BULDOG on Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

SOUNDS LIKE A PERSONNAL PROBLEM TO ME JUNGLE A.., maybe you and your hero Nick Nolte can get together and drink about it!! Personally cannot wait to see Triplett make a liar out of you. Ignorance is bliss and you seem to have quite alot of that. And by the way, many Ironton fans loved Triplett, he was set up to fail by a small faction of idiots, and despite the constant sidetracking, desparate attempts to separate the players, a brand new staff, he still took them to the playoffs.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

black76 wrote:SOUNDS LIKE A PERSONNAL PROBLEM TO ME JUNGLE A.., maybe you and your hero Nick Nolte can get together and drink about it!! Personally cannot wait to see Triplett make a liar out of you. Ignorance is bliss and you seem to have quite alot of that. And by the way, many Ironton fans loved Triplett, he was set up to fail by a small faction of idiots, and despite the constant sidetracking, desparate attempts to separate the players, a brand new staff, he still took them to the playoffs.

Good comments about Coach - T.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

BULDOG wrote:I feel West has several problems to deal with. Hopefully one was taken care of by hiring Triplett and staying with him. Additionally there needs to be a change of attitude at West. This is by the players, parents, community and school board. Until they decide to address the discipline and respect problems they will continue to struggle. Too many times players are more interested in starting trouble than they are playing football and showing respect. I'm not saying they shouldn't play with emotion, but do it with class.

In my opinion West under achieved last season. They returned a good core group of Juniors which many saw time as sophomores. I felt they should have been a strong contender for the SOC but seemed to lose their fire toward the end of the season.

West will have to prove themselves next year to make me a believer. They should be a solid football team, but they had the talent this season as well.

There already has been an attitude change. We didn't have near the problems that we have had in the past last year. He won't tolerate it.

Did we underachieve last year. Maybe. But the fact was we had good skill kids, but little to no size and strength. Mostly because the prior coach didn't require the work in the offseason like he should have.

You can mark it down, this West team will be in the best shape of any team we've had in my memory. If you don't put in the work, your not gonna play. West is gonna show massive improvement this year, I'll bet my existance on it.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

Is coach Miller still coaching with coach Triplett?

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Yes, he's the guy from around Symmes Valley isn't he? From what I understand he will be back this year also.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

That is good to hear.He and coach Triplett go back a long way,starting at S.V.-West has A couple of good coaches that are also very good individuals in Triplett and Miller.Hope everything works out for both coaches and also for the West program.Good luck to all!!

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

BLITZBURG wrote:That is good to hear.He and coach Triplett go back a long way,starting at S.V.-West has A couple of good coaches that are also very good individuals in Triplett and Miller.Hope everything works out for both coaches and also for the West program.Good luck to all!!

I think he will be there if they pay him.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

I read in an earlier post that West only had 3 paid coaches from 7th up last year.That is nuts :shock: .Anyone who has ever coached knows how much time and effort has to be put into each season.Takes alot of dedication for a coach to go through a season not getting paid.Hope that situation gets resolved for the coaches.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth does not play Logan or Zanesville next season. We do play Marietta and Warren in the North Division, and with Athens leaving the league, Western Brown was scheduled for 2 years to replace them. I think WB is D2 school, but I am not sure.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

trojandave wrote:Portsmouth does not play Logan or Zanesville next season. We do play Marietta and Warren in the North Division, and with Athens leaving the league, Western Brown was scheduled for 2 years to replace them. I think WB is D2 school, but I am not sure.

That's gotta be a good thing for Portsmouth, considering how good Zanesville and Logan were this year. Tough Tough league.

As far as the coaches. Yes, that is a joke. Like I said, we've had some changes on the school board. Maybe coach can work some magic here. He's been around the block at different schools, and should be able to put up a good argument on how it's done elsewhere.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

siderman wrote:
trojandave wrote:Portsmouth does not play Logan or Zanesville next season. We do play Marietta and Warren in the North Division, and with Athens leaving the league, Western Brown was scheduled for 2 years to replace them. I think WB is D2 school, but I am not sure.

That's gotta be a good thing for Portsmouth, considering how good Zanesville and Logan were this year. Tough Tough league.

As far as the coaches. Yes, that is a joke. Like I said, we've had some changes on the school board. Maybe coach can work some magic here. He's been around the block at different schools, and should be able to put up a good argument on how it's done elsewhere.

Yes I hope the new board looks at this situation and supports Coach - T and the West players.

PS Also there was another coach that coached with Coach - T at Ironton is he returning next year?

Jozef
Riding the Bench

Post by Jozef »

OSU 77 wrote:
siderman wrote:

Yes I hope the new board looks at this situation and supports Coach - T and the West players.

PS Also there was another coach that coached with Coach - T at Ironton is he returning next year?

heard that guy was not working out , said he was a good guy , but they want someone with more footbal knowledge.

heard they was going with another Bricker/Brickey ?

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Western Brown located in Mt.Orab,Ohio.
You guys will love it down there.
I played in a couple of softball tourney's down there a long time ago.

Return to “Football”