New football powerhouse in the making in Springfield?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

New football powerhouse in the making in Springfield?

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Springfield is consolidating North and South High Schools as of next year. This will create one of the largest high schools in the entire state. This new high school will have 1,081 boys (637 from North and 444 from South) and 956 girls (570 from North and 386 from South).

Do you think this consolidation will benefit the sports teams? North was already a Division I school, so in this case a bigger school will not mean going to a higher division because they were already in the largest division.

North went 3-7 this season and South went 1-9, but if you combine all of those athletes, that would have to benefit the football team I would think, especially since the school cannot go to a larger division.

If you ever go to Springfield, you should check out the current South High School, as it is one of the most unique looking old schools I have ever seen. It was modeled after the US Capitol Building and has the huge dome and everything.

Originally, there was only Springfield High School (the current South High School), and the teams were called the Wildcats. In 1960, because of growing population/industry in Springfield, a second high school was built. South kept the school and team name, and the new high school became North High School and the team name was the Panthers.

The brand new Springfield High School is being built behind North High School, and the team will be called the Wildcats since that was the original name of the school. North High School will be torn down. South High School is a historic building I think, so I'm not sure if it will be torn down or not. I hope not because it really is a great unique old building with that huge dome.

Lamont Cranston
Freshman Team

Post by Lamont Cranston »

Based on sheer numbers, the new Springfield High School will certainly have those to match some of the highest enrollment schools in the state. But, high numbers does not always equate to wins. Tradition, participation, coaching, and commitment by the community are just a few things that would add up to an excellent program regardless of enrollment. Besides, along with ancient and out of date buildings, part of the reason for this consolidation, is a projected continued enrollment drop for the entire school system. So, while their numbers may be HUGE initially, don't expect them to stay there.

Calling it like it is...
Army
S

Post by Army »

NYBuckeye96,
It couldn't hurt, with the right coaching staff and administration support who knows. They used to be in the same league with the Portsmouth Trojans, I think from 1944-1974. Check with Trojan Dave on the dates. They were in the Greater Ohio League (GOL). Other teams in that league were, Middletown, Lima, Hamilton, and a Cincinnati School I think. Later North and South when Springfield split, Marion for a short period too. I also think another school in Lima once it grew.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I remember reading an article a year ago or so on this and at the time the big question was could these two schools actually form one and get a long with each other.

It sounded like their were a lot of issues over there.
Last edited by LICKING COUNTY FAN on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

purpleblood1
JV Team

Post by purpleblood1 »

I think there is to many problems to think this is a good thing.

Bobcat Thunder
Freshman Team

Post by Bobcat Thunder »

Lamont Cranston wrote:Based on sheer numbers, the new Springfield High School will certainly have those to match some of the highest enrollment schools in the state. But, high numbers does not always equate to wins. Tradition, participation, coaching, and commitment by the community are just a few things that would add up to an excellent program regardless of enrollment.

Agreed, look at the records of some of the biggest schools in the state over the last five years.

Oak Hills 24-26

Fairfield 18-31

Reynoldsburg 17-33

Hamilton 14-36

Of course, this is only a few schools but it shows that big numbers don't always lead to winning records. Good luck to Springfield on the change.

By the way, will they be called the Panthers or the Wildcats?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GET THE RIGHT PEOPLE TO TAKE CARE OF THIS, CHECK EGO'S AND OLD SCHOOL SPIRIT AT THE DOOR, AND THEY COULD BE A POWERHOUSE, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN OVERNIGHT. 8)

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Army wrote:NYBuckeye96,
It couldn't hurt, with the right coaching staff and administration support who knows. They used to be in the same league with the Portsmouth Trojans, I think from 1944-1974. Check with Trojan Dave on the dates. They were in the Greater Ohio League (GOL). Other teams in that league were, Middletown, Lima, Hamilton, and a Cincinnati School I think. Later North and South when Springfield split, Marion for a short period too. I also think another school in Lima once it grew.

Now--- that is some travel time

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

thats gonna be a huge school

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Springfield City Schools have replaced every building in the district (16 schools)........$194 million worth of new schools. The high school is the last building being constructed at a cost of $60 million.

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

I believe that would make them the largest D-1 school. With sheer numbers a building block will be established IMO. Overnight I don't see a championship though, but even with half that enrollment you're looking at a probable D-1 most years. I can see competitive years in all sports for that school. From the FB record of each, I wish them well in the future. They have taken their lumps.

Logan, OH Post: May we play in the playoffs some day! Good luck.

Portsmouth98
All State

Re: New football powerhouse in the making in Springfield?

Post by Portsmouth98 »

The old high school was good most years and South was somewhat competitive in d2 until the last few years.

School records since 2000
North=2-8 25th in Region 3
South=7-3 5th in Region 7 Def. Columbus Beechcroft 20-7 In reg. qtrs, lost to Maysville 21-8 in reg. Semis

North=3-7 22nd in Region 3
South=5-5 14th in Region 3

North=2-8 21st In Region 2
South=7-3 5th In Region 2 Def. Toledo St. Johns 32-17 in reg. qtr, def Brunswick 25-7 in Reg Semi, lose to Findlay 31-28 in regional final

North=5-5 14th in Region 3
South=2-8 29th in Region 6

North=1-9 24th in Region 3
South=5-5 16th in Region 6

North=4-6 21st in Region 3
South=5-5 13th in Region 8

North=0-10 29th In Region 3
South=2-8 23rd In Region 8

North=3-7 16th In Region 3
South=1-9 24th In Region 8

Army
S

Post by Army »

How many Junior Highs will they have? WOW I would imagine 3-4?

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

"Consolidation" is almost always a 4-letter word for any school district, far as the students & the 'hood go. And, no, it doesn't always mean success at sports. Look at Spring Valley and Huntington Highs in WV.

When Du Pont & East Bank, both Class AAA powerhouses in several sports(Randy Moss & Jayson Williams came from Du Pont) were consolidated into Riverside HS, many expected WV HS sports to be Riverside & everyone else, but that just hasn't happened, & it may not. same with Mount View HS in WV which is a consolidation of Welch, Gary, Elkhorn, and mighty Northfork HSs.(The latter won 10 state basketball titles, & several football titles since the 1950s!) There are many such examples in Ohio as well.

I don't think the alumni of the old schools lose their school spirit long as they live, and often pass it on to their kids. That's why we don't often see a consol school become a powerhouse. besides that, consol wrecks the infrastructure and pride of the communities who lose their schools.

I was born in Springfield, but don't really identify with it as I moved to Cincy while still a baby. I DO ID some with Cincy, and I still have school spirit for my HS almata mater, the now-defunct mighty HUNTINGTON VINSON!

Watcher
Waterboy

Post by Watcher »

They will not even be the largest school in their conference. Wayne, Centerville, Beavercreek, Fairmont, will all be bigger and Northmont will be very close in size. They will finish last or near the bottom of the conference most of the time.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

I think there are a lot of problems in the larger schools having good teams. . . .in reality most of the big schools have poor squads. . .when you have multiple middle-schools, and no prior history of excellence (at least recently) how to you propose they would be a force?? . . . . . .they'll need to get lucky and latch on to a great head coach. . . simple as that. . . orrrrrr. . . . just so happen to have a freak amount of athletes the first few years. . .once the winning has begun, its pretty contagious

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

When Springfield was 1 school and in the Greater Ohio League, they were a sports powerhouse. But soon after SHS won the state basketball title in 1950, they split into 2 schools and South High continued to be a high level program. Portsmouth had more success against Springfield South in the GOL than any other team in the league. Overall, the Trojans are 29-37 against Springfield, but 10-8 vs. Springfield South. The GOL finally disbanded in 1975 with Springfield South, Lima Senior, and Portsmouth as the only remaining members. The Trojans last played SSHS in 1993 at Portsmouth, and the Wildcats came out on top 82-73.

I think with time the new Springfield High School will do quite well in athletics, but the league that they are in is very competitive......I believe that basketball might be their best sport, as it was for so many years.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

My parents were some of those that moved to Springfield in the 60s to take advantage of work. I was born there, and I have three cousins that graduated from North. I asked them what would happen when these two consolidated and they said there would be problems at first but they have friends that went to South that they still talk to so they didnt think it would hurt the sports in the long run. I watched several of my cousins games in football in the early 90's and they fielded very good teams then.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

This was under "similar topics" for the SEO football powerhouse thread, and 13 years after the fact... not without some time, of course... but one could say that "yeah" Springfield has become a football powerhouse.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

formerfcfan wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:43 am This was under "similar topics" for the SEO football powerhouse thread, and 13 years after the fact... not without some time, of course... but one could say that "yeah" Springfield has become a football powerhouse.
It is always interesting to revisit some old topics. As one who has been away from Ohio for 30 years, I am amazed how the structure in Ohio high school football has ebbed and flowed. Former AAA schools have shrunk or disappeared. Former patsies are now powers and visa versa. Portsmouth now D5 as an example. That makes HS sports intriguing other than final scores.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels

Return to “Football”