NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The pro-SOC article......
http://www.irontontribune.com/articles/2004/06/19/sports/sports07.txt

SOC should steal SEOAL's plan
By Jim Walker/The Ironton Tribune
Saturday, June 19, 2004 11:18 PM EDT
To join the SEOAL or not to join, that is the question.

And the answer isn't easy.

The Southeastern Ohio Athletic League has invited Ironton, Portsmouth, Zanesville and Chillicothe to join the 6-team league of Athens, Gallipolis, Jackson, Logan, Marietta and Warren.

A look at a road map quickly exposes a major problem. Trips of three-plus hours isn't any fun for the players or fans. And the thought of going to Zanesville on a Saturday is not attractive, especially for those who get up for church on Sunday morning.

Another problem is size. There are a lot of Division I and II schools filled with a lot of athletes.

Ironton is in a holding pattern, merely listening to proposals and being asked for counter proposals. If Ironton does not choose to join the SEOAL, only two of the other three teams will be accepted, probably Portsmouth and Chillicothe.

Without some kind of divisional setup, Ironton probably won't consider the offer. Playing a basketball game at Marietta on a school night is bad for the athletes, especially from an academic standpoint the day of and after a game.

Regardless of the plan, the SEOAL isn't the best thing for Ironton, but it might be the only option other than to remain an independent.

Being an independent is probably better looking at the whole picture, especially since the best option will probably never come to the drawing table.

The best move would include the Southern Ohio Conference.

Think about it. Add Ironton and Portsmouth to Wheelersburg, Portsmouth West, Waverly, Northwest and Minford, then bump Lucasville Valley up from the small schools to the bigger school division.

These are all Division IV and V football teams. The longest trip might be an hour. Revenues would improve for all schools and the competition would be great for the fans.

Ironton already plays Portsmouth, Wheelersburg and Portsmouth West in football. Portsmouth plays Minford, Waverly, West and Wheelersburg. So what's the big deal?

We all know that answer.

Ironton's success in football continues to scare other programs, as does Portsmouth's. Ironton's dominance in football broke up the OKAC despite Ironton being the little guy among much larger schools.

Forget the fact the other schools won all the basketball titles, all but one baseball championship, and split the track titles. Football stirs the drink, even in a basketball state like Kentucky.

Remember, Ironton was part of the SEOAL before joining the OKAC. Ironton left because the OKAC provided less travel and more money at the box office.

The OKAC was a very profitable league and the SOC could become even more profitable.

To improve the SOC, or not improve, that is the new question.

Jim Walker is sports editor of The Ironton Tribune.

local superstar
All State

Post by local superstar »

"Biblical proportions"? That's funny. Please, too much ego involved and not enough concern for the kids first, THAT's what happened.

fe2000lbsII
Waterboy

Post by fe2000lbsII »

black76 wrote:Not to mention the burnt bridges over not supporting one of "their own" during the coaching drama.

I couldn't agree more black76. If people in charge would have supported coach Lutz more during that time we wouldn't have had to go through that year of turmoil. I'm glad to see that you're starting to come around.

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

Fe2lbs that is hiliarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are an enemy of anyone other than your hero Coach Lutz and that is and was warped. You are the perfect example of putting ego above kids....by now the story doesn't need to be retold, we all understand it pretty well. All the power all the time for 35 years is "heady" stuff....I can see how you would get upset if someone put some rules down!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D :-D :-D Don't worry, it's all back to the way it was again, enjoy!!!!!! I am happy to admit I don't agree with you on anything.

osu 77
All State

Re:

Post by osu 77 »

fe2000lbsII wrote:
black76 wrote:Not to mention the burnt bridges over not supporting one of "their own" during the coaching drama.

I couldn't agree more black76. If people in charge would have supported coach Lutz more during that time we wouldn't have had to go through that year of turmoil. I'm glad to see that you're starting to come around.

Did you every think that Coach Triplett was one of their own. He was at Ironton before Bob became a Coach. Also the class he graduated with was the first team that ever made it to the state final. So keep in mind there were a lot of bridges burnt that will never be repaired because Bob's coaching staff completing walked away from one of their own when he needed coaches and support!!!!

black76
JV Team

Re: Ironton Out Of SEOAL?

Post by black76 »

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Re:

Post by Tigercannon71 »

fe2000lbsII wrote:

I couldn't agree more black76. If people in charge would have supported coach Lutz more during that time we wouldn't have had to go through that
year of turmoil. I'm glad to see that you're starting to come around.

You are exactly right.

If the support would have been there for Coach Lutz then the proper attention could have been paid in making the decision to join the league or not. I still think joining the league was a bad idea, but it is the hand we were dealt and we have to go with it, for now.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I hope Ironton stays in the SEOAL.

kahn
Freshman Team

Post by kahn »

I have to admit I only read one page of this lengthy discussion and I hope someone else has said this.

Who cares about what happened in the past. If anyone really cared about the best interest of kids, then Portsmouth and maybe even Ironton could be in the SOC.

Really, there is no reason to keep them out.

getagrip
Waterboy

Post by getagrip »

Does the SOC have restrictions on recruiting? If not, Ironton should fit right in.

Army
S

Post by Army »

getagrip wrote:Does the SOC have restrictions on recruiting? If not, Ironton should fit right in.

WOW :!: :shock:

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

The past has a huge impact on how the future unfolds for a team, a community, a person, etc. You cannot turn your back on people then expect them to jump when you need them, sorry! As far as Lutz having support, he has always had it, he had complete power over Ironton sports for 31 years, and again now. So quit whinning, you got what you wanted, no one watching begrudges you that~! Have at it!Lutz/Burcham control every sport now and AD, with the exception of basketball....look for that soon enough!!!!!!!!!! :-D
Last edited by black76 on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I couldn't see how a whole lot of good could come out of West playing Ironton right now in football. There seemed to be enough tension with Rock Hill last year. Could you imagine Ironton?

black76
JV Team

Post by black76 »

Ironton will get out of the SEOAL asap. It just takes time. My guess is they will go independent again, that seemed to work well for Lutz and Burcham.

Army
S

Post by Army »

hmmmm....how long is the question :?: ;-)

getagrip
Waterboy

Post by getagrip »

I'll probably get slammed for saying this, but why doesn't Ironton play in the OVC? Travel costs wouldn't be a problem, and it's a pretty good league. I assume Ironton is still bigger than other schools in the league (but maybe not given the city's decline), but it's still just a division IV school. I'd love to have Ironton in the league.

All right, I'm ready to take my shots. Just give me the reasons.

Return to “Football”