Fairland Non-Renews Coach Wilcoxon

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Didn't they also loose Tyler Bowman. Pooper they lost alot of talent IMO.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

OVCfan32 wrote:thats correct. . .
the big name guys mostly came back. . but that 04' team was one of the easiest pushovers i've seen. . .
and they played pretty good in 03'. . .that wasn't a bad team. .
they shoulda been able to go 5-5 or 6-4 in 04

lets face it. . .fairland hasn't had what any self respecting high school would call a good team in years. . .. so be it that they have a new coach during that time is just bad luck for him. .

I think this years Fairland team could be a good one. There is some skilled talent coming back but I dn't know what kind of line they will have next year. Does anyone know who they will have coming back?

bigtimehitter
All Conference

Post by bigtimehitter »

the pooper wrote:OH I0 97 once again, those statements are completely false. fairland returned almost the entire team. im just stating facts and not trying to stir the pot with you.

dude I was on both of those teams, and they lost ALOT after that playoff season, I am just stating the facts.

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

they had an average line in 03 and lost that. . .
the big names came back like i said. . . but just couldn't get anything rolling with those big boys gone
you must have good line play to even pretend to run the spread. . that has been and will always be my thoughts

come on the risin wind. . were goin up around the bend. .
you can ponder purpetual motion. fix your mind on a crystal day. . always time for good conversation. .
the pooper
Waterboy

Post by the pooper »

ok bigtime hitter, lets just say then there was way too much talent on that team to go 2-8. way to much! if coach wilcoxon would practice defense as much as he did his offense then there would not even be a discussion who fairland's next coach is. the man simply neglected his defense and now is paying for it.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

So he was nonrenewed because his team played no defense in 2004? :roll:

Fun in the Sun
Freshman Team

Re: Fairland Non-Renews Coach Wilcoxon

Post by Fun in the Sun »

fhsfan wrote:The Fairland Board of Education, by a 3-2 vote, has dismissed Brent Wilcoxon as the football coach at Fairland High School.

There were several players in attendance at the meeting who are saying they will be transferring including Lamb, Hatfield, and Bloomfield.

Sad News .....

the pooper
Waterboy

Post by the pooper »

no that was bad defense in 04,05,06,07 not just 04. like i said before, the man has a great offensive mind. there just wasn't enough attention on defense. when you practice most of the time with shorts on because its too hot, your gonna have a team full of athletes that dont like to hit because they are not used to it. that was a problem at fairland.

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

Ok I have set down about 30 times and started to write and every time I got too mad to finish. I am sick of that concern about practice in shorts. Fairland had a trainer and the OHSSA has strict guidlines today about heat index and practice. I don't remember the exact no.I think it's 96 degrees and practice is restricted.Now coach followed those guidlines out of concern for kids HEALTH.When these conditions were met the Trainer made the call. While it was aggravating would you rather he err on the side of a kids safety or just press on and take a chance. I could write 2-3 pages and address all the inane comments made on here but the more I type the madder I get. You clowns have gotten on here and slammed the hardest working coach we have had in my memory and one that cared about our PROGRAM more than anyone I've ever known. Brian Ward is a good man but all these people pining away for days of old were calling for his head even after the poor guy made it to the playoffs. It was said on here he didn't want the job and I believe it. What sane person would want it after the shabby treatment Brent got and Brian before him. I am here to say there is NOBODY in Fairland's system right now who is more qualified than Brent to lead this team this is not a slam just a statement of credentials.You people have gotten on here and blamed everything from no defense to the youth league for the problems here but the real culprit is people thinking we are better than what we really are.And before people jump all over this statement I don't mean we aren't talented I just mean we are not Moeller or Ignatius or however you spell it :oops: . There are men on that board who are friends of mine but I can assure the 3,2 of which are friends of mine, who voted against Brent that if they go in our system to hire a coach I won't be voting for them and hopefully we will get a board that will look at the big picture first.Ok there is a lot more I want to say but one thing is Thanks Brent for letting me be a part of something that I love and good luck wherever you end up coaching.
Clayton Dement

the pooper
Waterboy

Post by the pooper »

well clayton its odd how the jr. high had no trouble practicing in all those pads, but the high school could not. very odd.i would like to see someone tell bob lutz its too hot for pads.LMAO if you don't have contact in practice, your gonna avoid it in the games. coach wilcoxin might have a great work ethic, but that doesn't make the man a great coach. is he a great offensive coach? yes, but you must practice defense too. there is no excuse for each team to be able to run it down your throat game after game. how can all that talent be so good on offense, but so terrible on defense? on offense, the man may be to smart. how many times did i see these teams in shotgun formations with a yard to go. thats crap you learn not to do in jr. high. how many turnovers in the redzone b/c this stuff did i see? too many to count. also clayton, i think the board was looking at the big picture (12-28) when they voted not to renew his contract. from all i hear the man is a great man, however a great man doesn't make a great coach. and finally, the one thing that sticks out the most. coach wilcoxin told the board before the season started that he had so much talent that if he didn't have a winning record he would quit himself. 5-5.

sportsnut mom
Freshman Team

Post by sportsnut mom »

It's sad that pooper has the guts to use your name, Clayton, but too ashamed to use his own.... Very well said Clayton. Also Pooper, I'm sure that I drove past other school practices and they were also in shorts and t-shirts. Also this must be Pooper's only quest on SEOPS because all posts have been made on Wilcoxen's renewal site-what's your interest with FHS football?

catch22
Riding the Bench

Post by catch22 »

hey clayton, it's sad to read some of this garbage people puts on here, like POOP, BUT THIS IS THE PEOPLE THAT MAKES THE PHONE CALLS TO BOARD MEMBERS WHO CAN'T EVEN COME AND SEE FOR THEMSELVES HOW THINGS WERE ACTUALLY RAN. just remember we do know who is responsible for rebuilding the program for fhs is. Me personally, I couldn't be more proud to have been part of that. Thanks Brent for that opportunity to help. yea, we didn't win alot of games but we have players that wants Brent and us back. that is what it's about. kids that care enough for someone to support him and the coaching staff like they do. these people outside of that means nothing (0), zelch. I would like to thank all coaches for the time and effort you all put in. lord knows how many hours we did put in. people have no idea!!!!!!!!!!! one last thing, Brent wilcoxin is one heck of a coach. sure you may not agree with everything the man did but that's in every sport you watch. it's real easy to coach from the couch or behind the fences!!!!!!!!

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

If the high school was in shorts and the jr high was not the jr high coach was risking young lives in direct violation of OHSAA rules. You support that, huh pooper?

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Hey pooper I think Bob Lutz took his team in the gym this year on one of those very hot days this year. They didn't even practice outside. Whata ya have to say about that? I guess the tigers avoided contact! HUH :shock:

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

Pooper I think I know who you are. The reason I always sign my name is I stick by my comments and my opinions.I am not ashamed of who I am or what I say so I don't hide behind a screen name. I stick by what I said because I was there. If John and Brian did practice in pads they usually went very early or very late. They are good men that I like but I completely agree with coach's decision to go in shorts when told to by the trainer. Furthermore I can tell you I would trust Brent Wilcoxon to coach my son anytime because I know that his health and safety would always come before winning a ball game and I think that is what's important.and anybody that knows me knows I am a sore loser but there are things more important than winning ball games. I have heard about the throwing of helmets. Let me tell you something ,that goes on everywhere and at every level. Coaches do their best to control that and I assure you they paid the price in practice. But football is a game of emotions and sometimes those emotions overflow,but to suggest we condoned it or did nothing about it is frankly insulting. There was always repercussions and as I sad at the board meeting Brian had a kid that could turn 3rd and long into 1st and 10 for the other team all the time. I know he took care of it but it still happened occasionally.they see that crap in college and the pros and like it or not they think it's cool.We as coaches do the best we can but it will always happen.This dead horse has been beaten way too much for the kids sake our board owes it to them to hire somebody with better credentials than Brent. Good luck. If you or anyone else want to have a rational conversation about this I am real easy to find. But as far as I am concerned this is a sad time for all Fairland athletics because the criteria set to keep your job at Fairland should apply to all athletics and that could spell doom for some good people.Sorry forgot to click the bold button off after credentials and I type too slow to change all that :oops:
Clayton Dement

getagrip
Waterboy

Post by getagrip »

The excuses about always practicing in shorts are really lame. In the summer, he needed to have practices earlier in the morning, or later in the evening to avoid the heat. Did he even have two-a-days?

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

getagrip wrote:Did he even have two-a-days?
The mere fact you asked that question shows what you know.It is not a "lame excuse" it is the rules. And when he did go in shorts it was for no other reason than a real and genuine concern for kids safety. You clowns get on here and moan and gripe while you set up on those bleachers and you don't have a clue about what's going on. He went to shorts at times to keep the kids from getting injured. Injuries was always on his mind not because of a win or a loss but because he cared about all those boys. He had a different philosophy than even I did but he stuck to his guns even in the face of all this criticism. And given time I do believe his system would have taken root,but every year the guy didn't even know if he was going to have a job. I couldn't even imagine coaching under the pressure he had on him. Did he make mistakes? Hell I don't know but I can tell you one thing I learned a lot in the 1 year I had with him.I am tired of explaining on here when you people don't deserve an explanation. Hang a whistle around your neck and see how wonderful you are. I can tell you this much I was fortunate to be around some good coaches this year and have some darn good memories. Thanks Brent, Tim, Ray Mark,Woo,Bub, Terry,Brad,Crews,and Wood. But most of all thanks to the boys. I had a heckuva year.Last post here If you got something to say pm me or look at my profile thats where I'll be for quite a while and proud of it. ;-)
Clayton Dement

the pooper
Waterboy

Post by the pooper »

so who's the candidates? anyone hear anything?

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

Don't know about his coaching firsthand. Maybe it was the clogs ( the crocs with the fuzzy lining) I seen him wearing the other day at a basketbal tourney that got him tossed! ;-) ;-)

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

osumufan wrote:Don't know about his coaching firsthand. Maybe it was the clogs ( the crocs with the fuzzy lining) I seen him wearing the other day at a basketbal tourney that got him tossed! ;-) ;-)
Yea he always wears the ugliest shoes.But according to the instructor he has great legs. Pretty nasty imo. :lol: but he is a good man who deserved better from this community.
Clayton Dement

Return to “Football”