Name the top 5 games in your schools history

ironman02
SEOP

Re: Name the top 5 games in your schools history

Post by ironman02 »

old benchwarmer wrote: 1969 Last game of the year (I think) with no playoffs, Waverly played #8 in AA Jackson to a 14-14 tie. There were only two classes then, A and AA.

I've heard a lot of stories about that one. Didn't both teams end up 9-0-1? Instant classic.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

The Oaf wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:Here is my top 5 games for burg.

1989: state title game
1997: state semi finals against versailles
2004: wk 6 vs ports. They line up in shotgun on 1st n goal on about the 8 and the ball is picked off and returned ro the house by smiley for the game tying td
2008: wk 1 vs ironton. Burg won 23-22 on a last sec td
2015: state semi finals against cold h2o

2009: wk 3 burg rolls ports 68-14 to hand them their first loss at the new diggs.

09 is a toss up for me between the 04 game. I couldn't decide which
Can't believe you didn't throw the 86 CAPE game on your short list MD
I was only 4 yrs old then so I don't remember it lol. One I did forget to mention and I was at it. The 2009 first round playoff game with moneoe central played at marietta college due to the field conditions at monroe central hs. The game was a 52-42 shootout won by burg. Also the controversial loss 15-14 the next wk to fredericktown
Last edited by Mad-Dogg on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

ironman02 wrote:
old benchwarmer wrote: 1969 Last game of the year (I think) with no playoffs, Waverly played #8 in AA Jackson to a 14-14 tie. There were only two classes then, A and AA.

I've heard a lot of stories about that one. Didn't both teams end up 9-0-1? Instant classic.
Yep, they did. Waverly's coach back then was Redman. He coached for just two years and I am not positive but I don't think he lost a game the other year. I think he knew what was coming up, player wise and Waverly moving to the SEOAL with powerhouses (at that time) Ironton, Jackson and Gallipolis.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

knowledge wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:
knowledge wrote:Minford-Wheelersburg 2009
-Falcons hold on a Burg 2 pt conversion attempt to hold on to a 16-15 win at Minford.
Come on KP u just had to bring that up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey, you gotta enjoy them when they come Dogg!
I'm surprised u didn't mention the 2000 first round playoff game which u still like to rub in my face :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
fred_flinstone
Freshman Team

Post by fred_flinstone »

Chesapeake:
1999- the entire season went 10-0 and finished 11-1. Best season in school history.

2002- beat Steubenville Catholic in the playoffs 35-26 I believe.

2006- loss to Rock Hill 13-12 was a heck of a game and the winner made the playoffs. Tough loss for the Peake.

2008- Peake upsets Oak Hill by 1. Came into the game as a 35 point underdog in the news paper. Oak hill went for 2 with 3 seconds left and it was batted down.

2011- Peake beats powerhouse Wayne, WV breaking an 11yr losing streak to the pioneers. Wayne went on to win the state championship in WV. Also the loss to #1 seed St. Clairsville in the playoffs. Lost on a 35yrs field goal with no time left.

The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

BigBlueNation wrote:For Portsmouth West the 02 post season.
1 New Lexington total dominating performance from West
2 Coshocton which beat us in regular season.
3 Portsmouth which also beat us in regular.
4 Youngstown Ursaline most athletic team I every seen wow. Had 5 or 6 D1 athletes.
5 Kenton State championship game probably best highschool football player I ever seen in Ben Mauk. I think that year he threw for over 6000 yrds and rushed for over 1500 had I believe 70 some tds. I have to look it up.
Can't forget to mention the win at ironton in 1990

Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded! ~Lawrence M. Krauss
The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

old benchwarmer wrote:1989 Waverly defeated CAPE (ranked #1 in state) in the first round of the playoffs.
1969 Last game of the year (I think) with no playoffs, Waverly played #8 in AA Jackson to a 14-14 tie. There were only two classes then, A and AA.
That 89 team with D R and crew were the real deal

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

fred_flinstone wrote:Chesapeake:
1999- the entire season went 10-0 and finished 11-1. Best season in school history.

2006- loss to Rock Hill 13-12 was a heck of a game and the winner made the playoffs. Tough loss for the Peake.

2008- Peake upsets Oak Hill by 1. Came into the game as a 35 point underdog in the news paper. Oak hill went for 2 with 3 seconds left and it was batted down.

2011- Peake beats powerhouse Wayne, WV breaking an 11yr losing streak to the pioneers. Wayne went on to win the state championship in WV. Also the loss to #1 seed St. Clairsville in the playoffs. Lost on a 35yrs field goal with no time left.
I'd also add Coal Grove in 2011. Coal Grove up a touchdown with the ball and two minutes left. Panthers end up winning the game and I believe sharing the title with Grove. Unbelievable comeback

ROLL PEAKE
fred_flinstone
Freshman Team

Post by fred_flinstone »

BBN that's was also a pretty big game. I think that's the year Peake started off 0-5 and then turned around and won all 5 conference games and nearly snuck in to the playoffs.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

The Oaf wrote:
4 Youngstown Ursaline most athletic team I every seen wow. Had 5 or 6 D1 athletes.
5 Kenton State championship game probably best highschool football player I ever seen in Ben Mauk. I think that year he threw for over 6000 yrds and rushed for over 1500 had I believe 70 some tds. I have to look it up.
I thought about that one, then I remembered week 11.

Stone Cold
JV Team

Post by Stone Cold »

Jason Vorhees wrote:For Oak Hill, in no particular order:
2012 vs Hillsdale in the playoffs; down 20-7 at halftime and won 29-26.
2012 @ Minford. Week 5. Both teams 4-0. Minford won 20-19 in triple overtime. For a non-playoff game, best atmosphere I have seen for a week 5 game.
2010 vs. Minford at Alumni Stadium in Jackson; 2nd round of playoffs. Oak Hill was down something like 17-7 at the half and came back and won 31-27.
2010 @ Symmes Valley. Symmes was 6-0. Oak Hill was 5-1. Oak Hill was up 14-7 at the half and then Westen Hale put on a show. He had 18 carries for 348 yards and 5 touchdowns, and only had 18 rushing yards and 1 touchdown at the half.
2007 vs. Meigs. Meigs won 40-30. Jesse Slone is a freshmen for Oak Hill. He goes 14-18 for 358 yards 4 touchdowns and a rushing touchdown. Put him on everybody's radar. However, Cornelious English put on a clinic. 14 rushes for 315 yards, 5 touchdowns, a kickoff returned for a touchdown. On defense, 15 tackles, 2 sacks, and an interception. It is the only time I have seen an individual single-handedly do everything he possible could to make sure his team won. I think he even kicked a PAT that game.
*2010-Oak Hill vs Wheelersburg. Oak Hill won 29-22. First time Oak Hill had beaten Wheelersburg since the 1960's and Jesse Slone for Oak Hill and Burg's running back, Shankweiler, both put on a show.
I was at the Oak Hill Minford playoff game in 2010. One of the best High School games I have seen!

And that's the bottom line, b/c Stone Cold said so....
The Oaf
SEO

Post by The Oaf »

BigBlueNation wrote:
The Oaf wrote:
I thought about that one, then I remembered week 11.
Doesn't diminish the season opening shutout in the Tank! :D

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

Mad-Dogg wrote:
knowledge wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:
Come on KP u just had to bring that up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm surprised u didn't mention the 2000 first round playoff game which u still like to rub in my face :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh that 2000 year featured 2 WINS over Burg dogg ;) I'm sure you will let me have it Week 8 if it goes south for me. Best of luck to your Pirates tonight.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

fred_flinstone wrote:BBN that's was also a pretty big game. I think that's the year Peake started off 0-5 and then turned around and won all 5 conference games and nearly snuck in to the playoffs.
You're correct. So that would've been 2010 I believe

ROLL PEAKE
Kurgan74
JV Team

Post by Kurgan74 »

As a former player for Green, here is my top 5 (actually 6).
1. 1989 - Regional Semi-FInal Playoff Game vs Trimble at Athens HS -- Up 30-0 at the half and 43-0 in the 3rd. The game was exciting and included a bench clearing brawl.
2. 1990 - 1st Regional Semi-Final Playoffs vs. Caldwell -- Facing the number AP #7 in (at that time D5) at Athens. Green came from behind to get the victory.
3. 1990 - Regional FInalvs Newark Catholic. We lost the game on the scoreboard, but faced a strong Green Wave team who featured former Ohio St. Safety, and a former NFL 2nd round draft pick Rob Kelly.
4. 1989 - East -- Homecoming on Friday October 13. The largest crowd in Green history. Both sides full and the fans circled the field along the sidelines and endzones. East blocked a puntt to get within 3 with 2 minutes to go. Green blocked the extra point, then recovered the on-side kick. East forced a 3rd and 12 when Jeremy Hughes took a keeper 45 yards for a TD that Dan McDavid drew up in the huddle before the play. We had never practiced the play.
Tie 5. 1990 - Magoffin County, Ky. Magoffin was a replacement after Hannan Trace cancelled the game earlier in the season. Magoffin came into the game as a D3 by Ohio Standards and came in with a 5 -1 record. The win propelled Green into the playoffs and captured the 1 seed. At that point, Green was looking at a 3 or 4 seed at best (Only 4 teams per region qualified at that time.)
Tie 5 1989 - Notre Dame - Spartan Municipal Stadium--Both sides of the stadium were full (not bad for a non-playoff game). It was the first time Green ever defeated Notre Dame in Football on their homecoming.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

knowledge wrote:
Mad-Dogg wrote:
knowledge wrote:

Oh that 2000 year featured 2 WINS over Burg dogg ;) I'm sure you will let me have it Week 8 if it goes south for me. Best of luck to your Pirates tonight.
Oh u know I will kp

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

old benchwarmer wrote:
ironman02 wrote:

Yep, they did. Waverly's coach back then was Redman. He coached for just two years and I am not positive but I don't think he lost a game the other year. I think he knew what was coming up, player wise and Waverly moving to the SEOAL with powerhouses (at that time) Ironton, Jackson and Gallipolis.
Do not forget when Waverly stopped Portsmouth Notre Dame's 30 something game win streak by defeating the Titans 8-0 at Radiger Field back in 1968. Tom Redmond was at Waverly for three years with a 27-1-2 record before departing for Dover OH HS.

The 69 Jackson game was epic, both teams undefeated heading into the last game of the season at Jackson. The Ironmen stopped the Tigers on the Jackson one foot line as time expired.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Ovcman
Riding the Bench

Post by Ovcman »

bbn77 wrote:
fred_flinstone wrote:Chesapeake:

I'd also add Coal Grove in 2011. Coal Grove up a touchdown with the ball and two minutes left. Panthers end up winning the game and I believe sharing the title with Grove. Unbelievable comeback
Couldn't agree with with list anymore. May have been apart of 3 of these games ;)

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Mad-Dogg wrote:Here is my top 5 games for burg.

1989: state title game
1997: state semi finals against versailles
2004: wk 6 vs ports. They line up in shotgun on 1st n goal on about the 8 and the ball is picked off and returned ro the house by smiley for the game tying td
2008: wk 1 vs ironton. Burg won 23-22 on a last sec td
2015: state semi finals against cold h2o

2009: wk 3 burg rolls ports 68-14 to hand them their first loss at the new diggs.

09 is a toss up for me between the 04 game. I couldn't decide which
I remember the 04 game, I thought it was for the win. Anyways, the 03 Portsmouth game was just as good. I believe the final was 17-14 Burg.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

BurgGrad6 wrote:2004 regional final loss to Amanda. Receiver wide open in the endzone and drops the pass..
2014 regional loss to Hartley. Probably the best high school football game I've ever seen...
2015 win over Jackson. Larry hall was as mad as he's ever been! Haha
1989 state championship. Lol not that I seen it.. I was 2!
That was a heart breaker in 04.

Return to “Football”