WK 1 Jackson @ Wellston

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Re: WK 1 Jackson @ Wellston

Post by grndma1 »

Wasn't Lucas Lindenmood number 15 ? Anyway this was the first away game that I have been to in a couple of years. The plays were very rough on both sides but thats par for a Jackson-Wellston game. The weather was great and the excitement of the first game was high. The only complaint I have is the seating. We were packed in like sardines. :122245 Both bands sounded excellent and both teams really played great.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

I have yet to add up all of my stats, but I bet if you counted the Jackson touchdowns which were called back, the Ironmen had around 300 yards on that midline option play alone. Wellston really struggled at stopping that.

The Rockets competed much better this year, and could have really gone in the tank after fumbling the ball away on the first play and Jackson scored right after that. So many Wellston teams have against Jackson in the past.

After Matteson returned the interception for a TD and made it 14-7 midway thru the third (the closest the game has been in a while that late), Jackson came right back with a 73-yard TD to Trace. What a weapon he is at tight end.

That was the backbreaker right there. Jackson took over after that and Wellston didn't much on offense with the exception of the long pass to Lockard.

Nice talking with you before the game boilermaker and LoganLocos. I'm a busy beaver once the game gets going and after it is over with interviews and such.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Good try again Golden Rockets. Good luck to both teams this season. I hope someone in Wellston's administration starts the process of asking the big question, is this game worth continuing :?:

Many will say yes, due to not being able to let go of the old rivarly and of course the gate draw this game takes in for just one game. But when you continue to lose year in and year out in almost a 20 year span, it might be time to think about dropping Jackson from Football. The kids continue to get their hopes up, but only walk away disappointed losing in week one. Not to say drop Jackson in all sports, just football.

Not to take away anything from Jackson, they have a good tradition, but they are a D2 school. Wellston is a small D4. About 10 boys shy from being a D5 school.

Some say why?
See some of the old football rivalaries that have ended in SE-Ohio.

1. Nelsonville-York did it with Logan.

2. Meigs stopped playing Gallia Academy on a yearly basis a few years ago.

3. Athens offically stopped playing Logan last year after switching to the TVC-Ohio. Initally, Athens had Logan on their schedule this season in non-league. But Athens dropped Logan for Bloom Carroll.

4. Circleville stopped playing Chillicothe. Chillicothe leads the series 21-16-2. The series began in 1899.

5. Greenfield McClain stopped playing Chillicothe. Greenfield McClain still opens up each year with a scrimmage with the CAVS. Chillicothe leads the series 27-14-3. The series began in 1907.

6. Chillicothe stopped playing Lancaster after leaving the C.O.L. in 1976. The CAVS played a one game series against Lancaster in 1986. Lancaster leads the series 26-19-5. The series began in 1900.

7. Oak Hill stopped playing Wellston. This has happened twice, in 1973 after several decades of playing the Golden Rockets. Oak Hill then re-opened the series in the 90's after a 20 year void, only to stop it again a few years back.

8. Portsmouth ND stopped playing Wheelersburg.

9. Portsmouth East stopped playing Wheelersburg.

10. Chillicothe Unioto stopped playing Circleville Logan Elm.

I doubt they will stop the series, but isn't it time to have a open discussion about this. I think Oak Hill who has sparked interest to re-start a series with Wellston would make a great replacement for Wellston to open the season with. If some at Wellston is playing Jackson just for the gate draw, thus opting for greed over the kids, how does that benefit the kids and their Golden Rocket Program? Especially, year in and year out losing the opening game of the season.

I wish the best for the Golden Rockets the rest of the season.
Last edited by Army on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

@nd_1
Freshman Team

Post by @nd_1 »

Keyser, could you tell me how many all-purpose yard Matt Lockard had? He played an unbelievable game.

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

@nd1......I did not keep track of all the return yardage, so I don't have all-purpose yardage. Sorry. Boilermaker may though.

And, you are hearing it here first that Jackson and Wellston have signed a new four-year agreement to continue their series. In addition, the games will be played on Saturday nights at 8 p.m., at both Jackson and Wellston.

Hence, the series will go on for at least four more years and with tonight's gate draw and what will be expected from now on that all the JHS-WHS games are going to be Sat. nite, I don't see this series stopping anytime soon as long as there is gate money coming in.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

I predicted 42-12. The final was 41-14. Good prediction huh? Maybe I knew something.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Keyser_soze78 wrote:@nd1......I did not keep track of all the return yardage, so I don't have all-purpose yardage. Sorry. Boilermaker may though.

And, you are hearing it here first that Jackson and Wellston have signed a new four-year agreement to continue their series. In addition, the games will be played on Saturday nights at 8 p.m., at both Jackson and Wellston.

Hence, the series will go on for at least four more years and with tonight's gate draw and what will be expected from now on that all the JHS-WHS games are going to be Sat. nite, I don't see this series stopping anytime soon as long as there is gate money coming in.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck the next 4 years.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Post by hsfbfan »

Looks like Wellston will start 0-1 for another 4 years :122247 Oh, well show me the $$$$

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

First of all I think the Rockets played a good game for 3 qrts, but we needed to play 4 qrts.Jackson was just far better than Wellston upfront .The Ironmen as usual had a good O-line,,and a swarming defense my hat is off to them. Good luck on your season Ironmen.
@nd1 ,Lockard had 178 yrds in returns 75 yrd in recieving ,but only 10 yrds rushing in 10 carries. To his defense though its hard to get any rushing yards when you are hit when you get the ball in the backfield.Wellston's O-line must get better or it could be another long season.Wellston played better on defense for most of the game ,but as Keyser said they couldnt stop midline the Qb's #9 # 11# 5 all had big runs from it.Especially in the 4th qrt they got big gains from it.
The Rockets need to get ready now for a very good Minford Falcon team comming to CH Jones field this friday. Keep you heads up Rockets get better and keep playing physical like you did this week .

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

Imagine the score if Jackson doesn't have the amount of penalties that they did. I think the series should end too. After week one jackson never really knows how good or bad they are., and for Wellston after week one they have not had a chance to go undefeated since 198?. I guess the new four year agreement comes at a time where all schools are trying generate money with the economy in such bad shape. All well off to week two. Good luck to both teams.

mcmanisphoto
Waterboy

Post by mcmanisphoto »

Photos of Wellston vs Jackson game now available online.

http://www.mcmanisphotography.com

Click on Football then Wellston vs Jackson

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Congratulations to the Ironmen on the win. They played a pretty good game, dealt with the pressure, and got yet another win against their arch rival. Jackson moved the ball very well offensively and kept things pretty basic all night. The offensive line seems to be getting better and hopefully that trend continues as the season progresses. Cody Huff had a nice game even though Wellston was keying on him constantly. Klay Arthur did a nice job coming in and taking some pressure off Huff, as well as letting Haller and Lnadrum rest a little on the offensive side of the ball. Klay is only a sophomore and he's gonna be a good player for the Ironmen, not only this year, but in the future. The three-headed QB attack looked pretty good. The INT by Brown was a costly mistake, and he and Boggs need to hold onto the football, but they played well overall. Nice run by Landrum in the 4th as well. Defensively, Jackson played very well, but they have to tackle. Missed tackles will kill them next week and throughout the season if they don't correct that. The Ironmen also need to work on the kick coverage...seemed way too hesitant and allowed Lockard to hurt them with that.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the way the Ironmen looked. Week 1 is almost always a little sloppy and the added pressure of that rivalry doesn't help. I do hate to hear that this series is supposed to continue for four more years. Wellston is definitely getting better and will probably compete well with the Ironmen in the next few years, but I just feel as though Jackson has nothing to gain and everything to lose in this game.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Imagine "IF" Wellston didnt turn the ball over and could stop the Ironmens midline what the score would have been. :?
The score was 41-14 the game was played hard by both teams. All of those "IFs" are part of the game.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

I agree about what if's. However, did the coach not realize Jackson was going to run the midline? Did they not scout the scrimmages? Have they not seen the midline offense since Jared was there? Jackson ran the play like they were playing Madden 09. I am just baffled :122248

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

"Wellston is about 10 boys from being D5" (11 to be exact)

and Jackson is about 10 boys from being D3 (13 to be exact)

Jackson is a much smaller D2 school than Wellston is a small D4 school.

Wellston is 59 boys from being D3...but Jackson is 146 boys from being D1.

Wellston is D4....Jackson is D2, no sense in trying to make it sound like it's nearly a 3 division difference.

Good Luck to Wellston the remainder of the season.

SEOFootballFan
Waterboy

Post by SEOFootballFan »

Honestly I think it was a pretty sluggish game by both teams. Jackson did pick it up the second half but they still have a lot to work on. Jackson better work on tackling this week. Waverly will take advantage of those missed tackles. Especially that Roback kid.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

Stillballin: You made a comment in your earlier posts about Jackson's test scores. The district was just rated "excellent". :122246 :lol: Good job Ironmen!

salemcat
JV Team

Post by salemcat »

ocho stinko wrote:Stillballin: You made a comment in your earlier posts about Jackson's test scores. The district was just rated "excellent". :122246 :lol: Good job Ironmen!

I am proud to be part of that, but most of the credit should go to the students. Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!

Alexfootball
Waterboy

Post by Alexfootball »

On a side note from the rivalry. I just found out that Fayetteville Perry is coached by a relative of Ron Hinton @ Amanda and Heath Hinton the old coach @ Wellston. Even though they will be new, you know they will be decently coached.

Return to “Football”