NW TO SOC 1?

battlecats
JV Team

Re: NW TO SOC 1?

Post by battlecats »

Nwest just doesnt have football kids. In watching them play East last year it was just like watching a big brother beat on a little brother, they just dont have the tough, aggressive kids that you need in football to win.

Mohawk Pride
Waterboy

Post by Mohawk Pride »

Why not put Portsmouth or recruit Piketon in our spot. Piketon may not want to leave their conference, but I'm sure Portsmouth wouldn't mind playing in a conference close to home instead of traveling the state. Not to mention it would give the Burg a true competitor on a yearly basis. Let's face the facts here, year in year out Burg is traditionally on top and we are usually on bottom. Sure they get knocked off from time to time but not all that often. With Portsmouth in that mix we might not know going in every season who is winning the title. If they could get Pikton to come down then maybe we could fill their spot in the SVC since it is obvious that we are much too powerful for the SOC 1 :roll:

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I'll stand by my statement that the people at NW are not willing to do what it takes. They can't get kids to play because they don't want to work. When Hall was there they had 2-3 olinemen show up for offseason weightlifting. Thats one reason they always look like everyones little brother. Get tough on them and they just quit. After the season they want to walk away and not show backup until august. Football is a year round sport. Hard to compete when the teams your playing against are putting in 12 months worth of work and your putting in 3. Every school in ohio lucks out at least once every 30 yrs and has a good class come through but I never remember NW even having a competative team. Their good in other sports because you don't need as many dedicated kids.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

FalconFan wrote:
the lone ranger wrote:IMO I think this would be a great idea NW gets pounded everyweek and its not helping the SOCII by leaving them there they need to be moved down so they can compete and bring in someone new to the SOCII to make it more competitive.
I like the idea of Northwest moving to SOC I.  But, who would come in and fill the spot that Northwest left???
untill valley moved up to soc 2 it was just nw, burg, minford, west, and waverly. it could go back to havin 5 teams in like it was befor valley. besides i'm sure nw wouldn't mind bein out of soc 2. i mean they have never won it, they more than likely never will (no offense to them). they win one maybe two games a year in the conference. it would help them win a few more games. i wouldn't mind seein p-town brought into the conference insted of the seoal

all-time athlete
JV Team

Post by all-time athlete »

I don't have much too say on what northwest should do because i don't know, but im reading some of these posts saying that northwest kids are quitters and lazy...I can assure you that there are boys from northwest that work just as hard if not harder than kids from other schools and have it much much rougher than most student athletes at other schools, Northwest may not have that much talent(even though you should check and see which school had the player with the most sacks from last year :-D )but they are not all pathetic pushovers, in fact some are actually pretty good football players!!!

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I never meant to imply that all the nw kids were quiters if it came across that way I apologize.

wing-t
Riding the Bench

Post by wing-t »

battlecats
Nwest just doesnt have football kids.

What are "football kids" ? Are they like Cabbage Patch Kids? Inquiring minds need to know..........

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Mad_Dogg wrote:
FalconFan wrote:
the lone ranger wrote:IMO I think this would be a great idea NW gets pounded everyweek and its not helping the SOCII by leaving them there they need to be moved down so they can compete and bring in someone new to the SOCII to make it more competitive.
I like the idea of Northwest moving to SOC I.  But, who would come in and fill the spot that Northwest left???
untill valley moved up to soc 2 it was just nw, burg, minford, west, and waverly. it could go back to havin 5 teams in like it was befor valley. besides i'm sure nw wouldn't mind bein out of soc 2. i mean they have never won it, they more than likely never will (no offense to them). they win one maybe two games a year in the conference. it would help them win a few more games. i wouldn't mind seein p-town brought into the conference insted of the seoal

I would also like to see Portsmouth brought into the SOC. But, they have tried in previous years and have not been allowed in. I think that it would be better for them to play in the SOC so they wouldn't have to travel all around the state like they do in the SEOAL. But, I don't know if they would let Portsmouth in the SOC for some obvious reasons.

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

At Northwest there are just too many other things that kids are interested in doing, which don't bode well for the athletic world.

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

bucknut 23 wrote:At Northwest there are just too many other things that kids are interested in doing, which don't bode well for the athletic world.

They have the numbers on the football team though. They are in Division IV and are one of the bigger teams in the SOC. They just lack alot of talent and confidence out at Northwest.

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

battlecats

Quote:
Nwest just doesnt have football kids.

What are "football kids" ? Are they like Cabbage Patch Kids? Inquiring minds need to know..........

Football kids are kids who win football games. That should explain it.

falconflyer
Freshman Team

Post by falconflyer »

I think Portsmouth is a perfect fit for the SOC II and should be init. I don't think NW should get out. You have the atheletes. Make a committment, hire a coach, give them the resources. District to spread out, players don't have rides, run a bus. Can't lift after school have in school weight lifting.Schedule down in the out of conference games ands get used to winning.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Both sides of this argument make sense. Facts are:

NW has been really bad for a long time. They go into 5 conference games knowing they basically have no shot most years. Its hard or next to impossible to build support and a program like this. Other side of this argument is the size of NW. If they were to go to SOC I and turn it around, they would have a large advantage.

NW in football really hurts the SOC II schools for the playoffs because playoff points are primarily accumulated by 2nd level points.

Fact is most NW people are probably tired of loosing. Who wouldn't be. So they would like to change. SOC II fans, players, and coaches whom have any desire to play good competition and make the playoffs probably would like them to change. Myself included.

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

One reason I think Nwest should go indepnedant instead of joining the SOC I is if they did join and after a few years they start winning some games and build the program and actually win a championship that would hurt the credability if the SOC I.
People will say it is a horrible conference and all that because Nwest couldnt win a game in the SOCII but won ther SOCI.

wing-t
Riding the Bench

Post by wing-t »

battlecats
Football kids are kids who win football games. That should explain it

I don't think you can blame the kids solely for their lack of success. I sure there are many factors causing the problem. Remember the coaching staff has to put them in a position to win.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

wing-t wrote:battlecats
Football kids are kids who win football games. That should explain it

I don't think you can blame the kids solely for their lack of success. I sure there are many factors causing the problem. Remember the coaching staff has to put them in a position to win.

Here we go again with this bull! Larry Hall-7 years at Burg with 6 league titles and playoffs every year. Dick Tipton-Conference championships at West. Randy Martin-wildly successful at Notre Dame. We could go on and on. Coaching is not/has not been the issue!

NWMohawks
Waterboy

Post by NWMohawks »

I think that the coaches do have somthing to do with it, I was coached by Larry Hall and am being coached by spears.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

all a coach can do is lay out the plan, the kids have to execute it and put in the time in the offseason.

Syntax
Riding the Bench

Post by Syntax »

That's a very effective theory and attitude, NWMohawks. Keep on blaming everyone but yourself. Unfortuantely for you, your generation seems to be defined by that demeanor, so you'll fit right in.

Afterall, Northwest was a powerhouse before Hall got there. Darn him for screwing everything up!

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Syntax,
Exactly-Most student/athletes blame the coaches. Coaches blame the players and their parents. The parents blame the coaches. Everyone out here blames each other. Its just a revolving door, that keeps going around and around.
There are several problems in the Northwest Schhol District-too many to list!!!!
Let me try some-1)ALL of our biddy ball programs!!!!! Go watch them and you will understand!!!!
2) Winners breed winners!!!! Losers breed ????
3) School Board-Do what is right for the KIDS!!!!!
-Back the COACHES!!!
-QUIT backing down from confrontation-We have enough yes men on board-STAND up and be MEN!!!!
4)Student-Athletes= Get off the couch in the summer and get better at whatever sport you participate in. Play basketball, football, baseball, volleyball, soccer,softball, etc... outside not inside!!(Sega, Nintendo, Gameboy, etc...)
5) Parents- Your son's and daughters and their coaches don't need your advice on how to win at football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc... DID YOU WIN????? Check your coaches records out when they played and the coaching records before they coached here!!! Most are or were impressive!!! CHECK YOUR RECORDS OUT WHEN YOU PLAYED< IF YOU DID!!!!!
6) Coaches-You all have to build your biddy programs up. Coaches have to have say in what goes on at these levels.DON'T bad mouth other coaches when your slate isn't the cleanest!!!! When one sport wins, all sports programs can benefit from it. You're all in it together!!!!!!

I hope just this SMALL list helps some of you understand just SOME of the problems.There are MANY more???????????

Return to “Football”