An Early Look at the SEOAL: The 2008 Logan Chieftains

miltard52
Waterboy

Re: An Early Look at the SEOAL: The 2008 Logan Chieftains

Post by miltard52 »

yea it went great today a lot of hitting but sad news weston andy is not able to play football this year he is very sick but i won't know what is wrong with him untill tommorow

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

After a bit of a delay, here finally is a look at the 2008 Seniors on the LHS football team. Sophomores were looked at on July 25, Juniors on July 28.

Here is a list (with some comments) about each kid in the class of 2009 from last year's roster:

Jaush Huntsberger - Saw time on special teams and was a key contributor with the JVs at WR and DB. Should be a starter on defense at defensive back and among the leaders at WR. Returning Letterman.

Cody Ringhiser - Saw time on special teams and was a key contributor with the JVs at linebacker. Should be a key player on special teams again in '08 and will add depth at Tight End and LB. Returning Letterman.

Jon Neff - Starter the last two seasons at defensive end. Was the second tight end last season, making one TD catch. Should start again at DE and TE in 2008. 2-year letterman.

Clay Morgan - Starter at LB last season, started 5 games at Tailback in '06. Has rushed for nearly 1000 yards in career, 3rd leading tackler last season on defense. Will start at TB and LB in '08. 2-year letterman.

Seth Sigler - Contributed on special teams and was a key contributor with the JVs at WR and DB. Should be a starter on defense and one of the leaders at WR. 2-year letterman.

Zach Adams - Started at LB in 2006, missed most of last season with a knee injury. Will be a leader at WR and also a starter at either LB or Defensive End in 2008. 2-year letterman.

Zach Griggs - Special teams contributor in 2007. Adds depth at WR and DB.

Ronnie Burcham - Took over the place kicking job in the second half of '07. With more confidence, he could be a real weapon in 2008. Returning Letterman.

Taylor MaGuire - Special teams contributor and key player on JV team in '07 at Tackle. Should start at defensive tackle in '08. Big kid with "mean streak" for the defensive line. Returning Letterman.

Cary MacLaughlin - Two year starter on the defensive line. Was a noseguard in 2006 and a tackle in '07. Will likely see time at NG in '08. Missed second half of last season with leg injury. Hard worker, great motor. 2-year letterman.

Stephen Miller - Moved from linebacker to tackle last season and was a mainstay on the D-Line. Will be a key player on the defensive line in 2008. Returning letterman.

Coty Perez - Special teams contributor in 2007. Will see time on special teams and add depth at Guard and Defensive End.

David Schneider - Started all 11 games at guard last season. Big body, plays with a mean streak. Will need to assume a leadership role up front in '08. Returning letterman.

Cody Ochs - Contributed on special teams in '07. Will add depth up front on both sides of the ball in '08.

Weston Andy - Started all 11 games last season, 10 at tackle and 1 at guard. May miss the '08 season due to illness. 2-year letterman.

Derek Shirey - Started at guard in '07. Undersized, but plays big. Should be a contributor up front in 2008. Returning Letterman.

Overall, 13 returning lettermen and 9 returning starters in the senior class. 6 Two-year lettemen.

If the class can provide leadership to go along with their talent, this could be a special football team.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

miltard52 wrote:yea it went great today a lot of hitting but sad news weston andy is not able to play football this year he is very sick but i won't know what is wrong with him untill tommorow

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it is nothing too serious. As much as I love football, it is important to keep priorities in order. Hopefully he can receiver good care and recover soon.

From a football stand point, this team has a lot of depth. I know that guys like Brock Thompson, Jesse Arnold, and others will look forward to the challenge and opportunity to make a bigger impact.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

More from the injury bug. David Schneider is now out with a broken leg-femur I think. He will miss Logan's pre-league games.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

this is starting to look ugly! how seasoned are the backups?

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

Come back in from the ledge and put down the sharp instruments. While this hurts and is no doubt a setback, this team is plenty deep and talented. The biggest problem is the line has to develop a chemistry. The good news is this happened now and not right before the first game. People will have to step up and take up the slack. I know they will. I've seen quite a few of these guys play since jr. high (some even before that) and there will be quality people on the line. Keep in mind a lot of teams will get banged up during the course of the year. We are not the only ones who will experience this.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

D&C -

Great post. I think its important that the kids see this as an opportunity. It is an opportunity for some other really talented kids to step up and make plays.

I truly believe that our JV line from last year, with the other Varsity starters, could have won the SEOAL championship. Some of those same JV linemen STILL won't crack the line-up even with these new injuries.

It will hurt some on the experience side, no doubt, but I don't think this changes expectations at all, especially if the kids have the right attitude.

I'm pumped for tonight. GO CHIEFS!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

LoganLocos wrote:
miltard52 wrote:yea it went great today a lot of hitting but sad news weston andy is not able to play football this year he is very sick but i won't know what is wrong with him untill tommorow

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it is nothing too serious. As much as I love football, it is important to keep priorities in order. Hopefully he can receiver good care and recover soon.

From a football stand point, this team has a lot of depth. I know that guys like Brock Thompson, Jesse Arnold, and others will look forward to the challenge and opportunity to make a bigger impact.

Didn't Weston Andy take part in the resent ----toughman camp?

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

His "team" won the event. The picture should be in the Logan Daily soon.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Captains were revealed at Picture Day yesterday.

Congrats to Jaush Huntsberger, Clay Morgan, Stephen Miller, and Cary MacLaughlin for being named captains for 2008.

Also, Loganfootball.com has been updated with a 2008 Roster and also an updated depth chart.

Go Chiefs!

DRIFTER
Freshman Team

Post by DRIFTER »

Nice selections. Four great boys that will no doubt set the right examples for the young ones.

Return to “Football”