Snyder returns as Fairland’s head football coach

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

By JIM WALKER/Tribune Sports Editor

Monday, March 24, 2008 11:39 AM EDT
PROCTORVILLE — He began his career as an assistant coach. Later, he became a head coach. He then took a job as an assistant coach. And now, he’s a head coach again.

After 15 years, Roger Snyder is returning as the Fairland Dragons head football coach.

Snyder was the Dragons head coach from 1981 to 1993 and posted a 71-47 record. In 12 years, Snyder had only one losing season and won two of the school’s nine Ohio Valley Conference championships.

“I had some board members ask me if I’d do it. I wasn’t looking to coach. I wasn’t’ sure if I wanted to do it, but then after a while I thought about it and decided to give it a try,” said Snyder.

Snyder began his career as an assistant to Fairland’s Jim Mayo for three seasons. He then took a job as an assistant coach for two years at Ravenswood, W.Va., where the school won a state championship.

Snyder then accepted the position of head coach at Bradford High School, a nearby Dayton suburb, and posted a 22-18 record in four seasons.

He returned to the area as the head coach at Raceland, Ky., from 1977-80 where he guided the Rams to an impressive 32-12 record.

Fairland was 5-5 last season and finished tied for second in the OVC race.

“There’s some talent there, if we can get everyone on the same page, we could have a good season,” said Snyder.

Snyder replaced Brent Wilcoxon who was the head coach for the past four seasons. While Snyder has always preferred the I-formation, he was impressed with Wilcoxon’s spread attack.

“(Wilcoxon’s) brand of football was exciting. I kind of liked their offense. We’ll still run the spread, but we’ll run the ball more,” said Snyder.

“Where we’ll make more changes is on the other side of the ball. We’ll work on trying to get better on defense.”

Snyder plans to hire Bryan Ward, John McClung and Dave Carroll as his varsity assistants.

http://www.irontontribune.com/articles/ ... orts02.txt

ghostwriter
Varsity

Re: Snyder returns as Fairland’s head football coach

Post by ghostwriter »

Anyone know where Wilcoxon will be headed????

FormerDragon902444
Waterboy

Post by FormerDragon902444 »

Snyder is a great coach, I played for him before, He is probably one of the greatest coaches Fairland has ever had in Football or Baseball.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

nice baseball coach for sure :mrgreen:

gambitplaya
Waterboy

Post by gambitplaya »

He has done a good job with baseball and it sounds like he has done a decent job coaching football in the past. Good luck Dragons on the 2008 season.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Good luck coach.

earp
S

Post by earp »

I have been hearing this around town that Wilcoxen is an assistant at Lawrence County Ky.???Not for sure though like I said just waht Ive been hearing :lol:

Return to “Football”