East football 2008

Tartanblue
SEO

Re: East football 2008

Post by Tartanblue »

Just because people think they know for sure who the next head coach will be doesn't always make it 100% true....the last time East was hiring a coach they had a front runner and they ended up giving the job to McCafferty

battlecats
JV Team

Post by battlecats »

If Hall is hired I hope the "Sciotoville" coaches stay on as assistants. They could probably learn alot from this guy and take it with them because I think a couple of those guys would make a great head coach in a few years. To work under coach Davis and then Hall would be a huge benafit to a young coach, those old farts know the game and know it well.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

I can see possibly Coach White, Coach Bond, and Coach Dempsey staying if given the chance. Not sure about the rest on if they would want to, hopefully they do and Coach Hall can bring in a couple of his own guys and keep things rolling.

headhunter1
Freshman Team

Post by headhunter1 »

ddavis wrote:Now to football. The Tartans are loaded with great kids and talent. Rollins moving in just made a deep backfield deeper. Ehrhardt should help somewhere. There are several possibilities for quarterback. Who gets it will depend on what the new coach wants to do offensively. Sean Wright told me a few days ago that he is playing this year so that adds a receiver with speed to a pretty good core of receivers. Depth in the offensive line ia where the biggest questions lie. Kody Wright has to come through. He still has a lot to learn about football but has size, improving agility, and is just a great kid. Someone needs to spend some time with him and build his confidence. He may be a diamond in the rough. Defensively Jacob Howard and Raymond Grey make it happen. Jacob is possibly the hardest worker I ever had but for some reason a couple of players are a little jealous of his success. He earned it. No matter what what defense is run defensive ends will be the toughest spots to replace. Brad Collins and Dustin Bradford were a dandy pair of ends.

The thing I was excited about was the possibility of having two assistant coaches in the building. Todd Gilliland and Lance Davis. Todd stepped out of football a couple of years to get his masters but was coming back and was my choice to take over for me once I retired. Being the only teacher with coaching experience I thought that was natural. It is my belief that if you want to be a high school head coach you get a teaching degree, be an assistant, and when the opporunity arises apply for a job. Most of the coaches I had were never around until football started. That's what you miss when you don't have teachers as assistants. It will be interesting how the assistant coach situation pans out and if there's harmony there. Let me say this Dick Dunham, although not a teacher, was always a loyal friend and great assistant. I understand that two of my assistants last year would like to be head coach. If I were one of those guys I'd be in the weightroom now showing my leadership qualities. That would also show your dedication to the program.

The weight room is open. These kids know what they need to do to prepare. They should know that the team is more important than any coach or player. Due to spring sports the spring is always the worst time in the weight room. The sun shining and birds chirping also tempt kids to skip every now and then during the spring. If the kids have a new coach by the time spring sports is over I think they'll be ok. This is a confident and experienced team.

East will probably be a co-favorite with Oak Hill to win the league next year. The coach that does the best job should win this one. East is probably more talented than the rest of the teams in the league but better be prepared for Symmes Valley because they will be prepared for you. Manchester should be a win. I think East is more talented than South Gallia but again Justy Burleson does a nice job and could put an L on the Tartans if the coach doesn't have the boys prepared. Buffalo and Matewan will be hungry for revenge. Buffalo is traditionally a pretty good program and Matewan will have officials that like to flag the vistors. Expect a touchdown or two to be called back. Any coach could go 500 with this team. A good coach could run the table. Different coaching abilities could end up anywhere in between. I will be looking on with interest.

Must be some ND hatred there. I notice there were no good words for the only team that held you scoreless in the first half.. The was the best game you guys played all year.

ddavis
Waterboy

Post by ddavis »

I thought I had quit posting but my wife took a look and mentioned this remark. I have no Notre Dame hatred. It was a great high school football game that we played against each other this year. I respect what Notre Dame is able to do with such small numbers in their school. I just think Notre Dame loses a lot and East should have the advantage but I had no idea that Notre Dame would be as good as they were this year so who knows? No insult was intended. My daughters were raised catholic so I have no hatred toward the catholic faith and Notre Dame assistant coach Andrew Graf is my nephew by marriage. His mother Amy who is my sister-in-law has worked with the ND swimming teams and much more. My brother-in -law Jim played for ND and is a very dedicated supporter. I think the girls Sara and Laura both cheered and played sports. My wife even does a little advisory work for the elementary school now. In order to hate Notre Dame I would have to hate my family. I am a very family oriented person.

Here's the deal. When I was a senior in high school we lost a heartbreaker game to Notre Dame at Spartan Stadium. I think we won every statistic but the score which was less than a touchdown. In that game Lowell Welch had a possibe interception bounce off his chest with nothing but sideline in front of him which could have made a difference and one play I'll never forget was when Notre Dame had the ball which was either third or fourth down and had dropped back to pass. I think Jake Holland was chasing Andy Vetter and I knocked a potential receiver down from my linebacker position. I stepped away looking for someone to help and I'll be darned if Vetter didn't hit who I think was a Barrett on his knees in the endzone. That played destoyed me. The player I knocked down caught the ball. I didn't get over that game until the 1983 season when we beat Notre Dame for the first time in like 20 years. I won't call it hate but I did have a burning desire to beat Notre Dame at that time. Since that time Notre Dame has become a rival game because we've had so many great games. If I remember right some Notre Dame names on that team were Tony Mantell, Chuck Burke, Dave Vetter, Phil Vetter, Joe Mowery, Jason Born, Andy Vetter, Mike Horton, and I think Jim Barrett. I'm sure I'm forgetting some notables but that was 36 years ago. I hope this clears some things up. Dimentia does run in my family so if I forget something or someone else don't think the worse.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Axe N Shield wrote:
RogueWarrior1965
Meanwhile... players are not getting their lifts in because the man who was suppost to be doing this has decided to not do it. I thought that Darryl's son-in-law Todd was suppost to take care of this in the off-season. That's what the supplement pay is for. Have no idea what is going on there! Coach Davis is suppost to have the last period of the day for weightlifting the majority of the players but, he has been on sick leave for over a month now!

How can Todd be with the boys lifting weights at the end of the day when he is teaching a History class at the same time?

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

alabama mike wrote:
Axe N Shield wrote:
RogueWarrior1965
Meanwhile... players are not getting their lifts in because the man who was suppost to be doing this has decided to not do it. I thought that Darryl's son-in-law Todd was suppost to take care of this in the off-season. That's what the supplement pay is for. Have no idea what is going on there! Coach Davis is suppost to have the last period of the day for weightlifting the majority of the players but, he has been on sick leave for over a month now!

How can Todd be with the boys lifting weights at the end of the day when he is teaching a History class at the same time?

could he be talking about after school maybe? Hopefully the next coach is hired within the next couple weeks to get in there and get kids lifting that are not playing baseball

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

headhunter1 wrote:
ddavis wrote:Now to football. The Tartans are loaded with great kids and talent. Rollins moving in just made a deep backfield deeper. Ehrhardt should help somewhere. There are several possibilities for quarterback. Who gets it will depend on what the new coach wants to do offensively. Sean Wright told me a few days ago that he is playing this year so that adds a receiver with speed to a pretty good core of receivers. Depth in the offensive line ia where the biggest questions lie. Kody Wright has to come through. He still has a lot to learn about football but has size, improving agility, and is just a great kid. Someone needs to spend some time with him and build his confidence. He may be a diamond in the rough. Defensively Jacob Howard and Raymond Grey make it happen. Jacob is possibly the hardest worker I ever had but for some reason a couple of players are a little jealous of his success. He earned it. No matter what what defense is run defensive ends will be the toughest spots to replace. Brad Collins and Dustin Bradford were a dandy pair of ends.

The thing I was excited about was the possibility of having two assistant coaches in the building. Todd Gilliland and Lance Davis. Todd stepped out of football a couple of years to get his masters but was coming back and was my choice to take over for me once I retired. Being the only teacher with coaching experience I thought that was natural. It is my belief that if you want to be a high school head coach you get a teaching degree, be an assistant, and when the opporunity arises apply for a job. Most of the coaches I had were never around until football started. That's what you miss when you don't have teachers as assistants. It will be interesting how the assistant coach situation pans out and if there's harmony there. Let me say this Dick Dunham, although not a teacher, was always a loyal friend and great assistant. I understand that two of my assistants last year would like to be head coach. If I were one of those guys I'd be in the weightroom now showing my leadership qualities. That would also show your dedication to the program.

The weight room is open. These kids know what they need to do to prepare. They should know that the team is more important than any coach or player. Due to spring sports the spring is always the worst time in the weight room. The sun shining and birds chirping also tempt kids to skip every now and then during the spring. If the kids have a new coach by the time spring sports is over I think they'll be ok. This is a confident and experienced team.

East will probably be a co-favorite with Oak Hill to win the league next year. The coach that does the best job should win this one. East is probably more talented than the rest of the teams in the league but better be prepared for Symmes Valley because they will be prepared for you. Manchester should be a win. I think East is more talented than South Gallia but again Justy Burleson does a nice job and could put an L on the Tartans if the coach doesn't have the boys prepared. Buffalo and Matewan will be hungry for revenge. Buffalo is traditionally a pretty good program and Matewan will have officials that like to flag the vistors. Expect a touchdown or two to be called back. Any coach could go 500 with this team. A good coach could run the table. Different coaching abilities could end up anywhere in between. I will be looking on with interest.

Must be some ND hatred there. I notice there were no good words for the only team that held you scoreless in the first half.. The was the best game you guys played all year.

This was the best game that ND played in the last 5 or 6 years! And in my book; ND had the best coach on their staff as the Head Coach! The Delabar kid sticks out in my mind as the player that gave our offense the most problems; that kid played one mean and aggressive game!

And by the way... Oak Hill was probably the best game we played all year! At one time Oak Hill was in the lead; that something no team on our schedule accomplished! The lead was for only 1:37 seconds; but it still was a lead!

Unioto was the closest game for the Tartans last year; That was a 15-10 Tartan victory! The Tartans only posted two shutouts all season; that was to Symmes Valley and Notre Dame! Green scored 6 points on the Tartans! I remember the ND @ Symmes Valley game as being a very close down to the last second game for the the Titans. That was the week before the East game and the Head Coach was kicked from the game and suspended for the next game.

I would like to think that respect is earned and not a given! Shows some to get some! I think that the Tartans have beaten the Titans 7 years straight now! I could be wrong about those numbers though? One thing is for sure; when these two teams meet in the '08 season; it will be a good game once again! But, the "Leave No Doubt Tour" will continue for the SOC I opponents!

Trample the weak and hurdle the dead!

2006-2007 Back 2 Back SOC I Champions!

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

ND will be a tough game next year but I think Matewan at there house will be the Toughest game on the sched next year. Yogi had a young team that he brought to Sciotoville last year and I know you all remember what the refs did down there a few years ago. I remember at the game down there the refs were walking of the field after the first half, and one said to the other (Quote I thought you was going to call the clip and the other said no I was waiting on you to call it, but I did reach for my flag.. ) I cant say what we said to them but the got a ear full.

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

alabama mike wrote:
Axe N Shield wrote:
RogueWarrior1965

I just wanted to make sure everyone knows it shows RogueWarrior in the quote lines on a couple of recent posts that were quoted. Those are not my quotes or posts and were part of a response I sent to a reply. At no time have I, or would I, say anything negative about ddavis. I think most people understand that, but I wanted to make it clear in case someone does read them and questions it.

Thanks,

RW

Return to “Football”