New Logan High School Football Field and Bill Sauer Field

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Re: New Logan High School Football Field and Bill Sauer Field

Post by 1987chieftains »

WOW!!

THAT LOOK OUTSTANDING ZV!! hats off to all.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Does anyone know if Zanesville and Logan are still on each other's schedule after this year? I sure hope so. I'd love to see Zanesville's new field on a Friday night. Plus, Z-town is only about forty minutes from my house. :-D

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Logan grad wrote:I was talking with someone last week about Logan and the placement of the field and there was talk of a very worried thought of fog being a HUGE issue along the river. What can you do for that if it becomes so bad you cant see??? :122246

All the fans will blow at the sametime

ChiefCruiser95
Freshman Team

Post by ChiefCruiser95 »

ZanesVegas-That nighttime picture is awesome!!! It's hard to believe just how much light you can get out of just four light poles. The field looks awesome and I especially like the Blue Devil emblem that you guys got for the field. You all should be extremely proud of what you have accomplished as a community. I hope I'll get the chance to see it in person. It kind of reeminds me of Varsity Blues, heck I can almost picture the ol hook and ladder to Billy Bob.

LoganGrad-The fog will be a real issue at some point. I suggested calling the Big Ass Fan company(which is a real company) and installing fans at the west gate to blow the fog away. Also don't forget about the mosquitoes. My wife and I had the idea that we could set up a booth out front and sell bug repellant and live bait to the visitors. We'd make a killing for sure. :-D

There are actually a couple of concerns that could rear it's ugly head but hope that it doesn't. The first is the "soft spot" that was found in the track a couple weeks ago. Several feet of earth were removed and numerous tree stumps were found buried there which were part of the cause of the soft spot. They were removed and good dirt filled in. Pray that they don't find any more especially under the school. The second concern has already given us a preview of what could be a problem. That last rain storm we had quickly overwhelmed the drainage system and the water backed up into field and under the asphalt track before draining away. Problems and setbacks aside, it's going to be a great facility that we as Chieftains can be proud to have. We've needed and deserved to have first class schools and facilities for a long time.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

LoganGrad-The fog will be a real issue at some point. I suggested calling the Big booty Fan company(which is a real company) and installing fans at the west gate to blow the fog away. Also don't forget about the mosquitoes. My wife and I had the idea that we could set up a booth out front and sell bug repellant and live bait to the visitors. We'd make a killing for sure.

That will be bigger of an issue than what you would think in early home games with the left over heat on both counts especially when its 85 during the day, and then 50 at night; get the fog horns ready!!

There are actually a couple of concerns that could rear it's ugly head but hope that it doesn't. The first is the "soft spot" that was found in the track a couple weeks ago. Several feet of earth were removed and numerous tree stumps were found buried there which were part of the cause of the soft spot. They were removed and good dirt filled in. Pray that they don't find any more especially under the school. The second concern has already given us a preview of what could be a problem. That last rain storm we had quickly overwhelmed the drainage system and the water backed up into field and under the asphalt track before draining away. Problems and setbacks aside, it's going to be a great facility that we as Chieftains can be proud to have. We've needed and deserved to have first class schools and facilities for a long time.

Well I hope that isnt a preview of whats to come. I remember being down in Marietta after they were flooded out doing a game on WLGN and their field turf turned brown after the water left. I went to the field before the game and when you stepped on it, this brown dust flew up. It ruined the turf. I wish the kids all the best and hope it doesnt come back to bite the decision makers in the butt for putting the school there. It was scuttlebutt for a while that it seemed odd to put it there with the river and such so close. Keep your fingers crossed.

ChiefCruiser95
Freshman Team

Post by ChiefCruiser95 »

LoganGrad-A friend of mine lives right across from the high school and family that lives in Union Furnace and they've both said that the fog can get so thick you can't see the field from 328. I hope there are no more problems as well but you never know. I really hate to be critical of the new school and facility because it really is a thing of beauty. My purpose is to expose the incompetence of the people involved with deciding where the schools were built. Some of the dumbest decisions ever IMO. The preferred spot for the high school was to be right across from the middle school but I've heard recently that the owner of the land wanted too much money and would not budge on price and they basically got the land they have now for free. Although "free" is a relative term because they've spent a bloody fortune on land prep to the point that it probably would've been cheaper to buy the land across from the middle school from the beginning but oh well too late now. We should cherish what we've got.

We were sitting at Pizza Crossing last week and we came up with a great idea about how to deal with the fog. Since we're building a top notch facility, why not go all out and build the first ever domed high school football field? Wouldn't that be cool?

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

CC95- We are in agreement. I am not trying to bash a brand new beautiful school and stadium but putting it there may end up being the worst move possible. I was told that the land attached to the fairgrounds was available as well and was passed on and the same with the land across from the middle school; which would have been perfect. But really, what will they do if homes games cant be seen after halftime week after week? Move the river?? And it will be interesting to see what happens in a few years once the land settles. I wish nothing but the best for Logan, and I hope there are no issues, but I have been told allot of stories on things that didnt "end up" like they should have from the beginning and I was even told the original blue print looks nothing like the finished product. I hope it works out.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I agree that fog could, and will at times, be a problem at the current location.

But Gallipolis has played at memorial field for 60 years and dealt with fog (and severe flooding) from the Chicamauga (sp?) creek.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!! home field advantage!!

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

should have made the end zones purple. dont really care what soccer thinks. they could found a way around the soccer problems.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

PURPLE ENDZONES WOULD HAVE LOOKED NICE!

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

It's the Logan Athletic Dept. going too PC. I'd say football pays most of the bills. Logan won the All Sports Trophy but if you asked most Logan fans, they identify with football. Kind of like Ohio State. No matter how good the other sports teams are, it's still a football school. Still, I'm not going to knock the new place; it will still be one of the finest facilities around come Friday nights. Bring on the fog :!:

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I believe there is also additional costs to do the "colored" turf, I'm sure that also was a factor. I'm just glad they used some purple at all. Jackson used only white paint for their field. It doesn't look bad, but a little red mixed in would have improved the look, that's for sure!

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

It's all good. Now, about those yellow lines......... :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Our soccer folks didn't mind the blue in the end zones. And they didn't mind the use of black for the markings, either. I think it looks great, and really gives our field a different "signature."

Yes, there is a charge for colors that are not on the basic palette. I'm pretty sure our blue was on that palette of colors (officially, "Florida blue"). In fact, in the early stages someone did suggest we go with the "Smurf Turf" look, but that was shot down quicker than a pilot in the Iraqi air force.

And bring on the fog. That would be great. Mount a daggone foghorn on the scoreboard or something. Let Logan "be Logan."

dazed&confused -- As far as I know, there are no plans to interrupt this series, which stretches back to the middle 1990s, I think, with just one year when it wasn't played. I'd guess the only thing that will do so is scheduling issues. But I know "Logan" is about as big on our schedule these days as "Nerk."

.... and finally, quoting noreply66 ...

All the fans will blow at the same time

We've been saying that about Logan fans for a long while now! :lol: :lol: :lol:
(You can chime in now, YTB and Army ... )

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

is the track done yet?????? if so..... why is it black??

ChiefCruiser95
Freshman Team

Post by ChiefCruiser95 »

1987chieftains wrote:is the track done yet?????? if so..... why is it black??

They still have to apply the final top layer of the track material (not sure what it's made of). They found numerous "trouble spots" in the asphalt (85 spots to be exact) and they had to be fixed before they could go any further. I'll try to find out tomorrow when the final layer will be applied.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

1987chieftains wrote:is the track done yet?????? if so..... why is it black??

Uhhh what color would it be; purple??? :lol:

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

:lol: :lol: purple would be cool though. redish orange.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

http://www.loganfootball.com/stadiumgallery/index.html

Newest photo gallery. Much more navigable than the old one. A few old shots, but mostly new. The track is being put in this week along with some final fencing and pavement and the stadium will be finished.

Return to “Football”