Former Fairland BOE member says "Vote No" on Stadium Levy

madpolecat
All State

Re: Former Fairland BOE member says "Vote No" on Stadium Levy

Post by madpolecat »

Earp:

My brother lives in one of those Dominion Homes sub-division in Grove City, and he sadi that there have been tons of foreclosures and that they have driven his value down.

He mortgaged the house for 160K. At one point, he was told that he could probably get 200K out of it (a couple of years ago), now he said that houses just like his are selling in the 120k range.

shaynew
Riding the Bench

Post by shaynew »

Clayton no apology needed we are all passionate about our views.I will say i have never had a kid attend school or play sports at Fairland.I did graduate from Fairland and yes i did it in 12 years not 14 as I'm sometimes accused.I also coached baseball little league and senior league at Fairland for about 12 years.I just feel that sooner or later one has to say enough is enough.What tax rate are people willing to pay 20 40 60 % of there income.From a previous poster it looks like we will be voting on an operating levy in 3 years since the board cant use all the excess money they currently have because they will need it to pay bills.Last and not least just because someone lives in an expensive house doesn't mean they have a lot of money floating around.People have parents that they have to help support .Kids in collage and kids that are out on there own but are having a hard time making ends meet 2 out of 3 are me.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Keep in mind that folks who own multiple rental properties are going to bear the brunt of the tax increase. It may not seem a huge amount, but if your livelihood is based on running a handful of rentals, it adds up quickly. I have no dog in this fight since I don't live in the Fairland district, I'm just trying to lend an objective opinion to the conversation.
From the sounds of it, FHS needs a new football stadium in a bad way. Obviously, this idea is way late in coming, but have the school board and/or athletic boosters explored putting together a fundraising committe that would address the needs of football, baseball, softball, track, etc.? Just wondering.

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

Keep in mind, it's not just athletics that use the stadium. Fairland Stadium also hosts the ACS's Relay for Life (or they did when I was in HS just a few years ago), the HS gym classes use it, when we have large events like the Pep Rally for the Chesapeake game where all 4 Fairland schools attend, we have to have it at the stadium, so its not just a matter of getting the football team a new stadium. its the whole district K-12, as well as the community.

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

I think the only way we will get a knew stadium is private donations and fundraisers. Their is a lot of money in P-ville and especially Rome. A few years ago we collected money in the streets when our teams were going to state in baseball. The people who were most likely to give were working class people. The people who drove expensive vehicles for the most part wouldn't even look at you. But in the end after a few hours of panhandling we collected a couple thousand dollars.

RationalVoice
Freshman Team

Post by RationalVoice »

If you sincerely believe it'll put a strain on you and your family in any way, I understand a vote against the levy. But, if you can afford it, you should vote "yes". I think it's that simple. That place is the absolute pits & the kids should have better facilities. The only reservation I have is this...
If, by some miracle, this thing passes, we still have a board of education that seems to be doing everything in it's power to tear down athletics at Fairland. So, while many are trying to improve Fairland athletics, the people with the most power are simultaneously making irrational decisions that are destroying Fairland athletics. It's just odd. Anyway, I will vote for the levy regardless.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

dragonsfan24 wrote:Keep in mind, it's not just athletics that use the stadium. Fairland Stadium also hosts the ACS's Relay for Life (or they did when I was in HS just a few years ago), the HS gym classes use it, when we have large events like the Pep Rally for the Chesapeake game where all 4 Fairland schools attend, we have to have it at the stadium, so its not just a matter of getting the football team a new stadium. its the whole district K-12, as well as the community.

If that's the case, then it sounds like a pretty good investment in the community.
From what RationalVoice said in his post, it seems that the Fairland district might have bigger fish to fry.

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

bucking red wrote:I think the only way we will get a knew stadium is private donations and fundraisers. Their is a lot of money in P-ville and especially Rome. A few years ago we collected money in the streets when our teams were going to state in baseball. The people who were most likely to give were working class people. The people who drove expensive vehicles for the most part wouldn't even look at you. But in the end after a few hours of panhandling we collected a couple thousand dollars.
I'll agree there is a lot of money but the few businesses we have in our area capable of making those donations you're talking about are either beat to death by every charity coming and going or have money because the ain't parting with it. Duke Energy and Wal Mart give the other end of the county a huge boost but we arent blessed with that yet. As a matter of fact one of the bigger businesses in our area moved to South Point a long time ago so this levy is the only realistic chance we have at getting decent facilitys and the price tag is not going to get any cheaper. A few years ago we could have gotten twice the facilities for today's price tag but that's not happening now. These are bad times and as was said earlier on here if you truly can't afford 79 dollars a year then vote no. But just go down and go through the place before you make your decision. Look me up I'll show you myself. Thanks for listening
Clayton Dement

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Why don;t you do just that and have an open house of the facilities? I know it is pretty last minute, but you could give tours this weekend.

bgmonster
Waterboy

Post by bgmonster »

Here's the problem with trying to get a new levy passed. People were on board with the first levy that built the high school and updated the other schools. But there was a substantial surplus of that money left that the Board has "reserved for the budget". I've attended several board meetings and the board is notoriously closed-lipped when the public starts asking questions. I do attend meetings and I do read the minutes online. If a surplus is something other than a surplus, I'd like a detailed explanation as to exactly what it is. I have spent hours fundraising and working in nasty leaky concession stands. I've watched private citizens come in and spend their own money for wiring, painting, and upgrading different areas of the facility with no board help and coaches having to spend as much time worrying about paying for equipment as they do about coaching. As much as I would like to see a new facility, I'm not willing to pledge any more of my time or money until such time as the Fairland School Board is willing to be open to public questions regarding funds and budget plans as they relate to new facilities.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

checks arent getting much these days good luck tryin to get 3.2 mill. dont see it happening :arrow:

fhsalum1991ah
Waterboy

Post by fhsalum1991ah »

What we should do is:

1.) If the levy fails. Start a website, show the deterieration of the stadium, cracks, flaws for the world to see. Force the hand of the school board and the community.

2.) Go to businesses and get a naming rights deal, etc.

3.) Speak to the fire marshal, tax assessor and those who can condemn a facility and get them to condemn the home bleachers. Force the hand of the school board.

4.) File a lawsuit that says, the stadium discriminiates against handicap individuals and is not ADA compliant.

5.) File a lawsuit after a staph infection or some type of illness causes harm to these players and coaches who have to deal with pitiful surroundings.

These young men and women deserve a facility that they should be proud of. I can see why FHS only had 9 games this year. Who in their right mind, would want to come and play in that dump of a facility.

I remember working with Coach S before the season started marking the practice fields, getting the training rooms ready, the locker rooms, etc. I gained respect for the Coaching staff during my time at FHS and these guys know they need a new facility.

If you can't afford the extra taxes, then don't vote for it. That is your right. It is Clayton, Earp and my right to tell people why they should vote for it. I respect your rights, now respect mine.

Allen Hager
FHS Football Manager
1987-1991

Just my 2 cents.

shaynew
Riding the Bench

Post by shaynew »

I hope you win your suits.Do you think this will make the board spend the excess money they have?It wont pass the levy.Part of the problem is you cant find anybody that knows what this money will be spent on.Some say just a stadium some say stadium and field turf.You cant get any answers from the school board.

By the way Kevin Winslow called and wished you good luck on the Staph infection lawsuit says he going to call them the Winslow Browns.

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

No field turf shaynew this is bare bones We probably could have got field turf for this price the first time this was voted on but not now. If this is a financial hardship for anyone than I don't blame you for voting no but if you are one of those people who say ,"my kids are grown I'm not voting for it " than shame on you. While academics are the primary responsibilty athletics and extracirricular activities help establish a schools identity and foster extra pride We have some of the finest schools in the area and one of the shabbiest stadiums. There is nothing wrong with that field . It has been well maintained as long as I can remember and always by the coaching staff but the facilities are awful. had it not been for a lot of hard work by a lot of people they would be worse than they are now. Now you can slam me for my opinion and vote against it for a lot of reasons but WE NEED NEW FACILITIES. That will neither change nor get cheaper and we do not have the business base to get this done on donations. I urge you to vote for this levy if you can afford it and support these kids.
Clayton Dement

WitnessProtection
All Conference

FHSalum1991

Threats of lawsuits won't get you anywhere. They'll probably only make the board circle its wagons even more tightly. And I seriously doubt you're going to be able to convince local officials to condemn the structure if they haven't done it already. Remember, it's local politics and they're all connected in some way. Good luck with the levy.
By the way, has that levy money been specifically earmarked for stadium improvement? I don't live in your district and haven't seen the ballot language.

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

THIS IS SAD!!!!!!! :aaaaa16 :aaaaa17 :aaaaa22 :aaaaa18 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa62 :aaaaa1 [smilie=icon_frown.gif]

collegesports
Waterboy

Post by collegesports »

it is sad when you consider that all homeowners in proctorville/rome have benefited from an upward explosion in home prices which obviously has increased their net worth.why is that?many young people WITH KIDS moving there because of the HIGH QUALITY SCHOOL SYSTEM.that is why i moved there 11 yrs. ago.i have senior and freshman sons who are athletes at fairland h.s.however by the time the stadium is built,my youngest will only have 1-2 yrs left there so this is not about them,it is about the continuance of increasing the quality of life in the area.before you get in a tizzy on that comment,it will be open to the public,hundreds of kids use that stadium and hundreds of fans come there.it is a dangerous and nasty looking eyesore that is an embarrassment to our community.frankly,with the exception of people who have adverse financial conditions,anybody who opposes this levy ought to be ashamed of themselves.this is about kids and giving them what they deserve.as a parent,i have told my 3 chidren that it is my responsibility to sacrifice for them and i do.this applies to this subject by us all.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Ump
Freshman Team

Post by Ump »

But can you buy beer in Proctorville?

shaynew
Riding the Bench

Post by shaynew »

No you cant buy beer in Proctorville.Lets see what the board comes up with now.I hope they step up and spend some of that money they have saved up.Maybe they could meet the community half way put up 1.6 mil if they can raise 1.6 mil.

Return to “Football”