WK 1 Trimble @ Nelsonville

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: WK 1 Trimble @ Nelsonville

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.jjhuddle.com/news/articles/2008/8/11/nelsonville-york-returns-23-seniors-eyes-return-to-playoffs

Nelsonville-York returns 23 seniors, eyes return to playoffs

Some tough luck on and off the field in 2007 had Nelsonville-York on the outside looking in during last year’s Division V, Region 19 playoffs. It was a spot that Coach Dave Boston and his Buckeyes were not accustomed to considering the brown and orange was coming off of four straight postseason appearances. Now, Nelsonville returns 23 seniors and the tradition-heavy program is ready to put themselves back in the playoff picture.

“We obviously feel really good entering the season,” said Coach Boston when asked about the luxury of having so much experience returning. “Our expectations are always high here at Nelsonville-York, but with a tough finish to last season, I definitely think this year’s group is eager to accomplish some great things.”

Returning to lead the Buckeye offense is quarterback Michael Barrick. Barrick is 5-11, 191-pounds and is a great competitor and a great leader. The senior signal-caller will have plenty of offensive weapons as Nelsonville will return its top two running backs as well as a dynamic pair of wide receivers that should give the Buckeyes a balanced attack.

In the backfield, junior tailback Derek Arnold will run behind senior fullback Zach Talbert – who also does the place-kicking for the Buckeyes. At 5-8, 180-pounds and 5-11, 211-pounds, Arnold and Talbert, respectively, give the Nelsonville-York running game a thunder and lightning approach. This inside-out running game will be complemented by the ability to beat defenses through the air as well. Seniors Josh Dickerson and Mark Campbell will lead a receiving core that brings several options to the Buckeye passing game. Barrick’s arm along with the mixture of speed and toughness in the receiving core should allow Nelsonville to not only work the middle of the field but the ability to stretch the defense and make the big play as well.

“With the experience we have coming back at the skill positions, we should be able to spread things out a little better this season,” said Coach Boston who is attempting to lead his Buckeyes to their fifth TVC title and their fifth playoff appearance in just his sixth season. “We hope to have great balance on offense and spread the ball around to many different people.”

A big key to the skill guys being able to operate will come with the play of the offensive line. Nelsonville-York did graduate Trevor Polley, so the Buckeyes will mix a few returnees with a few new faces to give Barrick time and open holes for the talented backfield.

The loss of Polley will also play a role on the defensive line. In addition, the Buckeyes lost Patrick Norway and Scott Cunningham, but younger brothers Robert Norway and Justin Cunningham will be ready to step in and fill the void. Norway a senior and Cunningham a sophomore will anchor the linebacking core that will benefit from Talbert returning at nose tackle. Thomas Williams and Austin McDonald return as defensive ends and Nick Hunter will join several of the offensive skill guys in the defensive secondary.

“Our defense really played well last year for the most part,” said Coach Boston. “We had a few tough one-possession losses (Week 3 to Trimble 7-6 and Week 9 to Belpre 10-6) where we struggled to score, but our defense kept us in those games.”

The non-league schedule is full of some difficult tests for the Buckeyes. Nelsonville-York will start the season at home versus Trimble where the Buckeyes will be looking to avenge a one-point loss from a year ago. The Buckeyes will then travel to Piketon to play a very talented Redstreak team that returns over half of their starters from a 7-3 team last season. After a Week 3 trip to Berne Union, Nelsonville will start its conference play in the Tri Valley Conference’s Ohio Division, but will play one last non-conference game in Week 9 when it host Ironton.

“Our program has a great tradition,” said Coach Boston. “We know our schedule is really difficult, but as I said before, our expectations are always high. We have a great group of seniors who are really hungry to go out on top, and to this point, they have worked extremely hard to prepare for the season.”

SCHEDULE

8/22 TRIMBLE (GLOUSTER)
8/29 @ PIKETON
9/5 @ BERNE UNION (SUGAR GROVE)
9/12 @ WELLSTON
9/19 MEIGS (POMEROY)
9/26 @ BELPRE
10/3 ALEXANDER
10/10 ATHENS (THE PLAINS)
10/17 IRONTON
10/24 @ VINTON COUNTY (MC ARTHUR)

tomcat fan
All Conference

Post by tomcat fan »

happy that football season is finally upon us. trimble vs nelsonville week 1, doesnt get much bigger than that. should be a great game and a good time for all involved

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

Well from the lack of posting on both sides i would say both sides are a little concerned.I am still taking the tomcats

GOODLUCK CATS ;-)

91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

Tomcat 15, I think you know my answer to that question. And I can't wait to see you back on the paintball field so I can put a few headshots on you and the other wr. All jokes aside good luck friday, even though I do hope you come up one point short.

GO BUCKS!!!!!!

91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

My bad. :lol:

Tcat1
Riding the Bench

Post by Tcat1 »

Good Luck Cats! 91 Buckeye, The garage will be open after the game. We can listen to the "Sultan of Smack".

55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

Buckeyes could win the league and lose all of their non-conference games... I think the season all comes down to week 1... If NY loses to Trimble they would have to pull an upset against Berne Union, Piketon, or Ironton to get in... 7-3 may not be enough to get in and 6-4 definitely not going to get them in... Gook luck to the Bucks! It's been a long time since a NY team has gone 10-0 but I hear it's coming soon!

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

Well it seems both teams have alot riding on this first game.A loss by either team could mean no chance at a week 11

goodluck to both teams but i hope trimble wins by about 50 :)

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

:twisted: Heeeeeeer Kitty Kitty :aaaaa110 :aaaaa110

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Cats by 50 Sorry guys WONT HAPPEN. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

NYBUX wrote::twisted: Heeeeeeer Kitty Kitty :aaaaa110 :aaaaa110

All it need is a sledge hammer on top of it,Then it would look nice. 8) 8)

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Go Tomcats!!!!

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Go Bucks!

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

:evil: Heeeeeer Kitty Kitty :aaaaa128 :aaaaa112 :aaaaa112 :aaaaa112 is usually heard just before a big BOOOOOM in my neck of the woods!!!! :aaaaa128 :aaaaa3 :aaaaa3 :aaaaa3 :aaaaa3 :aaaaa3 :aaaaa3 :aaaaa3 :aaaaa3

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

still no green eagle?

91Buckeye
Varsity

Post by 91Buckeye »

Jerry Lackey wrote:Good Luck Cats! 91 Buckeye, The garage will be open after the game. We can listen to the "Sultan of Smack".

I'll be there, win or lose. I'm going to offer you the same thing I offered our buddy up on Walnut Heights, by saving you a seat if you'd like. :lol:

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

looks like trimble is a big underdog in this 1.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Is this game going to be on the Radio?

whompascat
All Conference

Post by whompascat »

btrain_7
Waterboy