Point Pleasant (WV)'s Allan Wasonga named "Overall MVP"

Gobigblacks
JV Team

Point Pleasant (WV)'s Allan Wasonga named "Overall MVP"

Post by Gobigblacks »

Just thought I would post this on here since I have on the WV boards too and since we do play two Ohio teams this year, figured it was worth mentioning here. Also, anyone from Meigs County and even the South Gallia fans know the Wasonga family from their time at Wahama.

Point's Allan Wasonga was awarded the "Overall MVP" of the freshman class at the Ultimate 100 combine in New Jersey this past weekend. This combine was an invite only combine that stemmed from the National Underclassmen Combine in Columbus, where he won "Overall MVP" in his session as well.

Wasonga (5'9, 180 pounds) was not the only Point Pleasant product at the Ultimate 100 combine. Clay Krebs (Sophomore, 6'2, 265 pounds) was in the sophomore group. Clay did not perform as well as he did a few days earlier at the event he attended in Columbus and did not receive any awards at the event.

Rivals posted the following today in an article about the event:

"The "Overall MVP" award was given to Allan Wasonga, Hughes' teammate on the Royal Blue squad. Wasonga, from Point Pleasant (W.Va.) High, is a defensive back/running back who played both ways in the tournament. Wasonga tested well in the morning and arguably was the most versatile player at the event."

Here are two pictures of Allan, the first is with former NFL fullback Cecil Martin and the second is with the other award winners.

http://www.pointpleasantsports.com/images/Pix/l_e70dc619a79abce2d98a5225a5c505b4.jpg

http://www.pointpleasantsports.com/images/Pix/l_ad83baae4f52d3312bcad34b74a58f25.jpg

Hopfully no one cared that I posted this on the board - I always feel like I infringe over here but I know there are some people that do care and want to know things like this about the area.

10mike
Riding the Bench

Re: Point Pleasant (WV)'s Allan Wasonga named "Overall MVP"

Post by 10mike »

I have heard about how fast Wasonga is suppose to be. Do you happen to know what his 40Y or 100M time is? I have also heard that PP is going to very talented overall this year. Given the fact that GAHS seems to be down in talent compared to recent years, this could be the year for PP to knock down the Blue Devils.

Gobigblacks
JV Team

Post by Gobigblacks »

The fastest 40 he has ran at these combines has been a 4.56 I do believe (I think that was the one in Charleston, at the Columbus NUC he ran 4.6 flat). and his fastest 100 meter run during the track season was 11.23.

He finished fifth in the state in the 100, the only freshman to finish in the top five in AA. He was also a state champion in the 4x100 with his brother Caleb, foreign exchange student Bernardo Caputo (who won the state title in the 100 and 200) and Tyler Glover.

I don't like to make predictions I just now that our kids have worked very very hard all off season and have bought into Coach Darst's message. We have the majority of our team returning but you don't get handed games just because you have a lot of kids returning or what not. We worked hard and I would like to think we'll be rewarded for that hard work.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

a big kaboom with tyler grant also, should be a nice team :!:

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Coach must really have these kids heading in the right direction b/c the improvements last year were incredible. I have heard nothing but great things about this kid from the Gallia parents and players that have played against him and after seeing that picture it looks like he works really hard in the weightroom and must be a complete athlete. Point could be a handful this year for alot of opponents. Good Luck this season!!! Looking for really good things to come in the next 3 years with this guy leading the way. I know it is hard for a sophomore to be the go to guy on the varsity level but not impossible and skill and talent are not coachable traits, this kid seems to have the best of both worlds.

Gobigblacks
JV Team

Post by Gobigblacks »

I don't think Allan will be asked to be the "go to guy" this season. We still have Tyler Grant at fullback and he's been our leading rusher/receiver for two years in a row and is going to have a great senior year. Tyler is a tough kid who can run the ball for 5+ a carry but also be a great lead blocker and he's still the man to go to on third and two, third and one, etc. Derek Mitchell is back again too and he had a good year carrying the ball last year so he's another variable but for a "go to guy" I can't think of anyone I'd rather have than #22.

Thanks for the words though and I can't wait until late August.

Return to “Football”