whos the better qb

miltard52
Waterboy

whos the better qb

Post by miltard52 »

whos going to be better this year patrick angle or ryan cheek?

JChipwood
All Conference

Re: whos the better qb

Post by JChipwood »

Patrick Angle is a beast at everything I have seen him try to do or play. I don't know who has worked harder or developed the most of the 2 kids and know very little about Cheek other than tidbits but will have to say that Angle has lots of ability and also has the luxury of a great line and great athletes around him to make him better and take the pressure off, at least early in the year. First game may be rough but after that the learning curve is not very steep. Who has the better recievers?? Angle also is in a running system that has not been very productive passing unless teams stack the box and leave guys in the openfield uncovered. At least for the most part. Will that aspect of the offense change this year or will they still be run, run, run, and then try to fool ya with the pass?? A good QB completes passes when the "d" knows passes are coming. JMHO

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

When I've seen Pat play, he can leave most would-be tacklers grabbing for thin air. He has a burst of speed and kind of reminds me of Troy Smith in his earlier days. He will need to learn to be patient in the pocket but the potential is awsome.

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

"reminds me of Troy Smith" - please !!!!!!

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

lol, Troy Smith in his younger days?? He couldn't hit the Shoe with a rock from 50 feet in his early days. Hopefully as Pat gets older he doesn't get slow like Troy Smith did. I think as he gets a few more hits under his belt and sees that it is okay to just settle for the "next down" he will be more patient and take what the "d" gives him. He is pretty dangerous when running the ball too.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

OK, OK. What I was trying to say was he trusts his legs more than his arm right now. When he played as a freshman, he wouldn't wait a lot of times for things to develop. If something wasn't open right away, he broke to the outside and ran with it. Lots of long touchdown runs in broken play fashion. The kid only attempted 8 passes last year. He will get comfortable and learn but will have some growing pains in the process. I just hate it that his first start is against Lancaster with all the expectations and what will probably be the biggest home crowd ever for a Logan game. That's a lot to ask of anyone.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

chipwood -

I think you'll see a more diverse offense from Logan this year. We were a lot more diverse even last year, going with single back and 4-wide on many occasions. Michael did a tremendous job for us last fall, but wasn't the duel threat that Patrick is.

With Pat, I think Logan will be able to run the "spread" sets more comfortably thanks to his mobility.

At the end of the day Logan is going to run the football. But I think you'll see more balance between the Power O and the "spread" formations this fall.

Time will tell.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I have seen Patrick Angle play basketball and football for a couple of years now, and he is a special athlete!

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Locos, thanks for the insight, wasn't trying to bash the system and definately not taking a shot at Amyx, i totally respect the program and even moreso respect Amyx. My dad is a friend of Ron J's. Heck, if it ain't broke........ The only reason i said anything was that in years past GA has played Logan and some years we have really struggled with stopping that off tackle stuff which resulted in crowding the line and leaving guys wide open. That has been my experience with Logan's passing game, even with Conrad at Qb it wasn't the passes that made the difference it was playing 9 and 10 in the box to stop the rush and then getting burnt. Patrick is a dual threat QB much like Donnie Johnson was for GA but the difference right now is experience. From what I have seen, Patrick may throw a little better ball at this point in his career than DJ did at the same point.Could be interesting to see LHS be diverse b/c that sould spell big time trouble for everyone in their way, hopefully including Lancaster.

hawkeye, I first saw Pat in the 7th grade playing basketball. All of the parents forwarned me that Logan had a kid in football that was a true stud and figured he would be good at bball also. Well needlesss to say he was very very good. GA played South Point in the 8th grade and they had a boy named Todd Mayo who is a good palyer, I think 1st team all state last year. He also has an older brother. As 8th graders there was no comparison b/w Todd and Patrick and since then Pat has really developed into his frame and matured. I haven't seen Mayo since then but would figure that Pat is still lightyears ahaed of him.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

troy smith hatin ;-) would definately would like to see your resume compared to his. came to osu with know guarantee competed against the best passer in ohio high school history. smacked up michigan cause he was too slow :122246 angle is a great athelete to have a chance to play varsity at that age says something :!:

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

facts are facts, troy smith was a horrible passer early in his career and displayed very little touch or accuracy. as he became a better player, through hard work, he got slower. 4.8 40 is not "fast" when talking about being an elusive QB. He was a hard worker that did beat out a guy who was a very good passer and deserved everything he got in the end but also showed his true colors against Florida when the timing of the offense was changed. I ask you, did he look fast against that "d" line of Florida?? No blocking against the defensive ends but a fast QB gets out of that trouble some of the time and makes a play or 2. Regardless, that isn't the topic, the topic is who is the better QB b/w Cheek and Angle. I know we don't particularly like Logan b/c they are our rivals but I personally respect the system and having seen Angle play, I like his game. Seems like a real good kid too based on his interview on TV last year with his bro.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

jchip -

I didn't take your comments as a slight against Coach Amyx or the program. No doubt we've been a power football team for a long time, and as you said, why fix it if it ain't broke? I can still remember the game at Gallipolis in 2000 (with Ike Simmons), the GAHS defense was keyed in on Harden and Joey Conrad ended up throwing and RUNNING for a bunch of yardage, including all 4 Logan TDs that night.

Kelly Wolfe has more control of the offense now, and while I don't think the offense needs "fixed," when you have a kid like Pat and the other athletes around him you might as well use them all the best you can.

I don't think you'll see Logan running GAHS's offense, but you'll see more diversity than in the past.

Of course, all this is assuming that our kids play to their potential. There is enough talent to make a good football team, but it takes hard work and leadership to turn that talent into a winner.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

As far as the topic, I think we're comparing apples to oranges.

Ryan Cheek is an athlete playing QB. He is HUGE, has good speed, but IMO is a linebacker first. He happens to be a good enough athlete that he can operate a spread offense in high school. My guess is he'll be darn successful at it too.

Patrick is also a tremendous athlete, but I think he's a QB first, no matter how good he is on defense (and he's pretty darn good there).

So who is the better QB? I'll take Pat as a "traditional" QB, great mobility, good arm, nice size, but in a spread-option offense, Cheeks combo of size/speed is pretty hard to turn down.

What would be really scary is Pat at QB and Cheek at halfback in the same backfield. Those two could tear it up for a TON of yards against a LOT of defenses.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

In talking about surrounding athletes, let's not lose sight of the contribution of the offensive line. Can't speak much for Ryan Cheek's line; Lancaster is always big and physical. But remember Logan had all new starters at these positions last year and didn't do too bad. This year, all except one is returning and I'd have to say they will all be better this time around. That will definitely figure into the quarterback play.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

locos, I didn't think you did I just wanted to clear the air before anyone got it turned around and thought I was taking jabs at a really effective system or program. Seeing Logan run the GAHS offense would be something. Couldn't be more unpredictable than watching us run our own offense at times and I watch it all year long including scrimmages. Still................... who knows what is next most of the time. Stick with what works. Logan always finds a good HB and FB and is always physical up front to open holes. Maybe this year you guys will not have to use the spread that much but would benefit later in the year by having that up your sleeve. I know in the past if someone stopped the run it caused trouble but with Pat at QB things could be totally different. What would happen if the field was spread and teams had to try to stop the pass against Logan??? The LBs would have a very long night!!!!

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I'm sure that's the idea. I though Kelly Wolfe did a great job calling plays last year. It was a tough to replace Jim Robinson (who started on the LHS staff in '79, and was the Off-Coord since the late '80s), but Kelly did a great job.

I'm sure with a year of experience under his belt he'll keep getting better.

2old
All Conference

Post by 2old »

I am sure if Pat stays healthy through the season he will be a much better qb than DJ was his Junior year. The reason being that DJ was not qb his junior year. Therefore Pat if healthy would win be default. DJ was GREAT qb his senior year and if Pat can prove to be that good Logan will be amazing again next year.

Return to “Football”