WK 1 Belpre @ Warren

mister b
SEOP

Re: Warren vs. Belpre 2008

Post by mister b »

Ok, I'll bite...

1) I am a Belpre fan and Belpre just seems better. Let us not forget who has the series lead in this matchup, it's not Warren. ;-)
2) Yes, Dunfee is quick, but you need a hole to run through and I don't think there will be as many holes as some think there will be.
3) Having good receivers is a plus, but they need time to get open and the QB needs time to find them. Belpre's blitz packages will disrupt the passing game.
4) Belpre may play more underclassmen then Warren but they have 11 games under their belt from last year.
5) The key to any game is the line play, period. Sounds like Warren has some size this year on the line vs past years but it is not the size of the dog that is in the fight that counts, it is the size of the fight that is in the dog that matters.
6) I'll add one, turnovers, nobody can predict this, especially in game one. Hopefully, Belpre will hang on to the ball and make their possessions count.

Let the truth be known, these are high school kids and anything can happen. With practice just on the horizon, it is anybody's guess as to who wins.

I am just going to sit back and enjoy the game and let the chips fall where they may. A Belpre loss in game one won't define the season or keep them out of the playoffs.

Best of luck to both teams and good health to all the boys.

LETS GO EAGLES!!!
Last edited by mister b on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eagles20
Freshman Team

Post by Eagles20 »

warrnwarriorfan wrote:OK, not enough dialogue about the game for my taste. So, I'll start some.

First, congrats to Belpre on the new lights. Glad to hear that no one was smacked by the falling pole (that would have been ugly).

My pre, pre, preliminary prediction gives Warren the edge. Why? Well I'll share five reasons:

1) I'm a Warren fan and Warren just "seems" better (that counts only for pre, pre, preliminary predictions).
2) Warren is faster (who will catch Dunfee?).
3) Warren has excellent receivers that will be a really tough match-up for Belpre (both over 6'2" and fast)
4) Warren will be playing seasoned JRs and SRs while Belpre will have to play more underclassmen (see Warren the last 2 years).
5) Warren's line will be better and more balanced. I actually feel like Belpre has had the advantage here the last couple years, but don't think that will be the case this year.

That should get things rolling . . .

Warrenwarriorfan...... I'd like to address a couple things myself

2) Warren is faster (who will catch Dunfee?). Dunfee is very very fast but Ryan Yates, Markie Tate and John Logue aren't bad either.
3) Warren has excellent receivers that will be a really tough match-up for Belpre (both over 6'2" and fast) Belpre has Ryan Yates 6'4", Scott Loyland 6'4" and Markie Tate 6'3" all very athletic and fast
4) Warren will be playing seasoned JRs and SRs while Belpre will have to play more underclassmen (see Warren the last 2 years). Belpre will play only 2 sophomores Tyler Watkins and Erik Waderker the rest of the lineup will be upper classmen most of whom started the previous 2 years
5) Warren's line will be better and more balanced. I actually feel like Belpre has had the advantage here the last couple years, but don't think that will be the case this year. Let's see Meriwether 6'5" 300, Brannon 5'10" 220, Barrett 5'11" 210, Carr 6'4" 240 (A BEAST) Pinkerton 6'1" 240. I think we will be just fine up front.
Last edited by Eagles20 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Warrenwarriorfan....

I guess it is on.... ;-)

Eagles20
Freshman Team

Post by Eagles20 »

Mister B wrote:Warrenwarriorfan....

I guess it is on.... ;-)

You know it buddy............. can't wait

ronnie88richards
JV Team

Post by ronnie88richards »

Belpre will have a decent amount of players, I've heard at least 31 players, alot from last season that have seen a ton of playing time. We have size and speed its all mixed up an I look for Belpre to have another great season once again.

Belpre Golden Eagles 08-09

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Thanks Mister B, Eagles 20 and R88R for jumping into the "fray." Now I wonder where the other Warren folks are? I'm outnumbered ;-) .

Like you, I think the game really will be decided in the trenches. It is certainly true that runners can't do much without a hole to run through and QB's aren't usually very effective if they are running for their lives. Warren is much bigger this year, but can they do anything with that size? We'll see.

Belpre has speed, but nobody from Belpre is catching Dunfee.

Eagles 20: Warren needs to borrow your tape measure/scales so that our kids can grow a couple inches and a few pounds. I know your rascally ways on here. Players are always just a little bigger when you describe them :-D . I actually think Markie will match-up well if he plays corner. The others maybe not so well. Will Markie be at CB or up closer to the line now that he's a bit bigger.

Who has the edge at QB for Belpre? Who will join Packard in the backfield?

Did only 31 show for the first night? I guess it's easier to "say" that you want to play in a meeting during school than it is to actually show-up the first day of practice. I guess you need to remember that the players that "count" are probably there. But, it's nice to have numbers in the system.

ronnie88richards
JV Team

Post by ronnie88richards »

The edge at QB will have to go to Tate he's an all around athletic player that has seen alot of time in the younger days at QB then playing WR his freshmen year. Tyler Watkins will join Packard in the backfield, he seen alot of quality time playing last year an he's also the type of player that can play any position with the size and skills he has. 3 weeks untill the big game. I seen Warren does have alot of size an I know warrnwarriorfan that you said noone can catch Dunfee well that could be the case but who's to say he will have 1 on 1 coverage all the time also. The way it seems both teams have alot of quality speed/size so it should be a great game to watch can't wait.

blarge
Riding the Bench

Post by blarge »

For Warren, I think Wellspring actually had the longest runs from scrimmage (90 yds at FF) and the biggest returns last year. Dunfee is slightly faster, but doesn't shift and spin out of tackles like Seth could. If Andrew turns the corner it could be a long night for Belpre, but he has to get out of the backfield first.
The game won't be a series of 100M dashes, but Dunfee is capable of turning it into a track meet.
I expect Tyler Cox to be the most noticeable improvement speed-wise.
He is the youngest kid around for his grade, and will finally be fully developed this year.

Eagles20
Freshman Team

Post by Eagles20 »

Warrenwarriorfan ........ great post......you make some really good points. I think Markie may play safety but really not sure. Coaches are looking at all the kids at all different places.
Packard will diffinatly be "carrying the mail" for the Golden Eagles. Tyler Watkins will probably be at the fullback position. As always this game is gonna be about which team can block and tackle the best. Big plays may play a part but I think that Warren's going to have find a way to keep Packard from shredding and grinding their defense to a pulp. Ashton runs very hard and tends to make defenses put "8 in the box". With Yates and Loyland on the outside and Logue and Waderker out in the flats, our QB's should have plenty of options.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

I think the game will be decided on turnovers and special teams (the return games). Early in the season I expect both teams to make mistakes on offense. If either teams turns it over and gives up a short field then that will hurt otherwise I expect a big return or returns will be the difference. The past couple of seasons alot of Warrens points have come from the return game so I give them the edge in that (Belpre not returning kicks against Logan, Marietta, Zanesville etc) and the turnovers are well we will see.

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

Goodluck to belpre

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Blarge: I felt that Dunfee improved during the course of the season last year. He definitely got better off tackle. Wellspring will be a great help, but not until the 5th or 6th game when he's allowed to play. Pritt is a tough runner and very strong. He'll be a real asset this year and is currently working with the first string. Throw Pettit and Coffman in the mix and we have a bunch of quality kids who can move the ball on the ground. Wolfe will be bull this year. Your right about Tyler too, it's not overstating to say that he has been looking pretty amazing in the 7on7 competitions. I can't wait to see him play in pads.

Didn't Dunfee have return a punt or kick-off for a TD last year?

I think Belpre scrimmages Philo and Caldwell. Warren scrimmages Caldwell and plays Philo in the regular season. It will be interesting to see how both teams compete against the common pre-season opponent (Caldwell) and will be interesting to watch Belpre play Philo to judge a bit about how good Philo will be when Warren plays them in the regular season.

blarge
Riding the Bench

Post by blarge »

Dunfee had one big KO return at home last year, in that heartbreaking Jackson game I think...He may have had another, but I didn't check the stats. Just stating that i thought Wellspring to be the more dangerous return man, but mostly on punts.
Line play will be the big key in this game...I expected us to run all over Belpre last year, and it didn't happen. The size and strength of their line surprised alot of us, especially with the eligibility problems and the way they kept expectations low for the opener.

Eagles20
Freshman Team

Post by Eagles20 »

blarge wrote: The size and strength of their line surprised alot of us, especially with the eligibility problems and the way they kept expectations low for the opener.

There are NEVER "low expectations" for this game on either side.

Always a great game because it's awesome to see kids that have grown up together, been friends, played in the youth leagues or AAU together. Come out and give it everthing they've got leaving everything on the field. Thats what high school football supposed to be about. I just so very happy we are privaleged to have this game in our own back yard.

gpgm6566
Varsity

Post by gpgm6566 »

After watcing the scrimmages this weekend, what are everyone's thoughts?

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

I'm thinking the Parkersburg News and Sentinel will have it as Warren -2.5 points. ;-)

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

Im pulling for the Eagles in this one ,,but these rival games are hard to figure sometimes. Good Luck and Good Health to both schools.

Prodigy
Freshman Team

Post by Prodigy »

i will take Belpre 17-14, Packard with 2 TD's and Dunfee with 2 TD's...i will predict a defensive struggle in this game, with belpre prevailing in a close one.

BigBlueinsider
Riding the Bench

Post by BigBlueinsider »

so let me get this straight....

warren beating belpre would be an upset this year? really?
hmmmm.....

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

Congrats Warren fans,

Belpre (a playoff team last year) considers a victory over Warren an upset.

No longer the laughing stock.

I am being serious, this is an achievement.

Return to “Football”