PDT Coverage

bman618
Varsity

Re: PDT Coverage

Post by bman618 »

Those photographers typically charge beyond what a newspaper is willing to pay for a stringer (outside staff) photo. As for the student writers, it is hard to meet deadlines when you're trying to build pages, write stories and have to supervise a staff that might need decent to a lot of help.

I am not overly familiar with the paper. If they have a day where they don't publish, Sunday for example, it would be easier to use students on Saturday events since you have till Sunday night to put the paper out.

Josh Hickle
Waterboy

Post by Josh Hickle »

Actually, hammerdown, I am still at the Times. I moved over to be a news copy editor. I guess you could say the rumors of my demise have been great exaggerated. (Sorry, it was there).
However, now that I am on here, I have taken the time to read some of the comments that have been posted about the sports staff and felt that I needed to offer a rebuttal. I understand constructive criticism, but many of these replies, in my opinion, border on attacks. Especially those that call in to question the abilities of the guys I work with.
While it is true there were mistakes made in the football tab, I commend the sports editor and his staff for all the time they put in to getting that out. And, truth be told, I didn't want to do the tab. With an impending marriage, buying a new house in Chillicothe that we just closed on Monday and other factors, I just felt like it would be easier for me to go to news. So, I applaud the editor and his staff for the work they did on it.
And, as far as hardly working goes, the truth is the current editor has worked nearly two months without a day off. When I was editor, I worked a month straight before I had a day off. So I humbly beg to differ to those that say the sports staff is hardly working. In fact, the three that work there have some of the biggest hearts and are willing to do the job -- and are far from Larry, Moe and Curly.
Now, I know that some people will disregard this post as just someone trying to put a brave face on the situation. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. However, what I see everyday is a group of hardworking guys that love being in sports and want to do the job that they have been hired to do. (That's not to say the others that came before didn't).

P.S. -- For those who have posted about things not getting in, just because it doesn't appear in a week or so, doesn't mean that it won't get in. It will. Just be patient.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Josh--congratulations on the impending marriage.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Josh, I can understand you wanting to defend your coworkers, especially since you were part of the Sports Dept at one time, but even you have to admit that the PDT sports section has went to hell in the past year or so. The Times used to have a top notch sports dept, especially during football season, which as you know is the king of sports in southern Ohio. I can recall the paper doing in depth interviews with opposing coaches for big games and having stories almost every day of the week leading up to game with comments from players, stat comparison and a breakdown of strentghs for each team. This was even more prevelant during the playoffs. I guess that since more teams make the playoffs now that maybe it's just not that big of deal anymore, but I'm sure people would like to see those kind of things back in the paper.

Also, what happened to the insert that was in every Fridays paper with stories about the teams that were playing that night along with the weekly scores and the stats for teams and individual players? That was something that I looked forward to each and every week as I'm sure most Scioto county residents that are into high school football did.

Last weekends sports coverage of the local football games was by far the worst I have ever seen in the 37 years I have lived in this area. The articles just didn't have any depth to them and the lack of coverage of Scioto county teams, but a front page story on Waverly/Piketon, was just to much. The straw that broke the camels back with me though was the lack of a box score with any of the articles. How could someone write a story on a football game and not include a box score?

I hope that the PDT gets it's act together and does a better job as the season goes on or I a feeling that you are going to see a mass exodus from your paper as people start cancelling their subscriptions, myself included, and without subscribers you have no paper.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Josh, what can we do to help? we are all at games and alot of people keep stats, even though they are unofficial. DR is one for sure. But to have 3 people (i think you said) that is not enuff to cover this area. Let us know what we can do and the deadline for getting in stories. I dont think this has worked in the past but maybe it will work this year but we are already in week 2. With cellphone internet etc.. maybe something can be worked out. Of course you will have the idiots sending crap to you. Who knows?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Josh Hickle wrote:Actually, hammerdown, I am still at the Times. I moved over to be a news copy editor. I guess you could say the rumors of my demise have been great exaggerated. (Sorry, it was there).
However, now that I am on here, I have taken the time to read some of the comments that have been posted about the sports staff and felt that I needed to offer a rebuttal. I understand constructive criticism, but many of these replies, in my opinion, border on attacks. Especially those that call in to question the abilities of the guys I work with.
While it is true there were mistakes made in the football tab, I commend the sports editor and his staff for all the time they put in to getting that out. And, truth be told, I didn't want to do the tab. With an impending marriage, buying a new house in Chillicothe that we just closed on Monday and other factors, I just felt like it would be easier for me to go to news. So, I applaud the editor and his staff for the work they did on it.
And, as far as hardly working goes, the truth is the current editor has worked nearly two months without a day off. When I was editor, I worked a month straight before I had a day off. So I humbly beg to differ to those that say the sports staff is hardly working. In fact, the three that work there have some of the biggest hearts and are willing to do the job -- and are far from Larry, Moe and Curly.
Now, I know that some people will disregard this post as just someone trying to put a brave face on the situation. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. However, what I see everyday is a group of hardworking guys that love being in sports and want to do the job that they have been hired to do. (That's not to say the others that came before didn't).

P.S. -- For those who have posted about things not getting in, just because it doesn't appear in a week or so, doesn't mean that it won't get in. It will. Just be patient.

I commend you trying to put a positive spin on the staff and the situation, but the bottom line is the sports coverage SUCKS. And to top it off, the spelling and grammar on many articles is on a 7th grade level. Who wants to pay for that?

I bought a PDT Saturday morning and it went in the trash can 5 minutes later. No coverage on Minford, Valley, Green, etc etc.

So you can put on a smiley face, but you might want to let them know that a daily purchaser of their paper will no longer buy it anymore. And that is what it comes down to, the almighty dollar. If they had coverage worth buying, I would buy it. But I truly believe their lack of coverage comes from either a lack of trying or the PDT's lack of getting people to report the high school games. Either way, its OK. You'll just continue to lose business.

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Post by Sawdust »

I'm going to have to agree with the majority here. It' not just the Sports section, it's the whole paper. I was never much of a fan of Greene when he was managing editor but when they got that new clown as the boss the PDT transformed into The Portsmouth "Enquirer/Sun". Lewis and Ottney are unprofessional hacks that indulge in information not needed to make a story relevant. Just ask Glockner Chevorlet, the PHS principal, ect., ect. Lewis even reported and the paper printed a bold front page headline 2 days in a row about a bomb found on a barge that turned out to be a box with wires taped to it. Even after he KNEW the box was a training exercise the paper ran the headline of a bomb on the barge the next day. I guess they are trying to grab someones eye in the hope that the sucker will buy a paper. I have had a subscription for the past 23 years but no longer.
I know the sports editor and his staff can't be at every game every week but they CAN pick up a phone and call a coach (or at the very least, listen to Snuffy on Sat. morning) and write a little tidbit about the rest of the games for the Sunday edition.
Just look up the river at the Tribune. Everybody knows that Walker is on the sidelines at every Ironton game but he writes a story about every other contest and tells it like he was sitting in their stands watching. Got to give him credit for that.

Sorry Josh, I know they are your friends and I feel sorry for the Sports Editor. I saw his first column introducing himself as the new editor then turned to the classifieds and saw a help wanted add for the next 9 days advertising for a sports editor for the PDT. Not a real statement of confidence from your employer!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I cut my paper down to only saturdays, and only buy it to see the local stats of footbal games,,,well after this past saturday, I will NOT be buying that one no longer,,,,NO STATS :122247

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I was also very upset that the football insert wasnt in the paper last week. Im done also, no more papers for me..

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

50 cents is alot of money these days. I can get more info on here.

Josh Hickle
Waterboy

Post by Josh Hickle »

drrabbit, thank you. hammerdown, I guess I will just have to leave that to my mom now. :lol:

For all who were wondering about the GameDay section, there were some problems with changing the color in sports on that Thursday, so the section was pushed back a week. Therefore, it should be in this Friday's edition.
Like I said, I know that I am not going to be able to change a lot of people's opinions about the Daily Times. However, I just felt like it was necessary to shed a little light on the situation and let everyone know that these guys are some of the hardest working guys I have had the privilege of knowing. And to answer everyone's question about last Friday, sports had to get the pages out quickly, so the stories were held to the front page. But, in that case, if there is ever a time that other games are not in Saturday's edition, they will be in Sunday's.
Also, I know there was some question about Wheelersburg in the state tournament. I believe it was on Monday before the tournament, I received an email from the athletic director that a time had been scheduled to talk to Coach Estep and the team, and that was on Tuesday.
Knowing that the Pirates and the coaching staff had more important things to deal with than talking to us every day, we went on that Tuesday to get the interviews out of the way. We did a feature and a preview, which ran on the Thursday and Friday respectively. So that is why there were the number of stories that there were.
As far as what you can do to help, just continue to call in with scores and stats. We welcome hearing from people with that information.

kahn
Freshman Team

Post by kahn »

I've only met the PDT Sports Editor once or twice but I think he's trying his butt off.

Here's something you should know.

A year ago today, the PDT Sports Staff was Editor Jeff Taepke, Josh Hickle, me (John Stegeman) and part time Bret Bevens. Within a couple months, Jeff and I left left. Fortunately it was summer and not too busy. Then Josh headed for news leaving a part time broadcast major (Bret) as the only continuity in the staff.

Now as a journalist, the mistakes I've read about on here are not excusable. While they are not excusable, maybe they are understandable. There are a lot of issues that go into each paper, early deadlines etc.

I promise you the staff beat themselves up over these mistakes with a fury. Every mistake I ever made stuck with me for weeks.

I just wanted to give everyone a chance to know the situation and pressure that the new staff is under. A 75 percent turnover within a year aint easy to overcome.

Also as Ive said before, you should all feel lucky that every mistake you make in your jobs isn't hand delivered for criticisim to 10,000+ people.

Keep your heads up down there guys. I miss Ptown but I can't say I really miss having my work assaulted on a regular basis. Good luck.

And the rest of you, I understand your frustration, but compare the Saturday edition after week 10 to the first one...I don't think you'll be dissapointed in the improvement.

John Stegeman

RogueWarrior1965
Varsity

Post by RogueWarrior1965 »

Josh Hickle wrote: P.S. -- For those who have posted about things not getting in, just because it doesn't appear in a week or so, doesn't mean that it won't get in. It will. Just be patient.

When a press release is sent in at the end of May and has not been ran by the end of August, I don't think that is being impatient. It was a news release where a student-athlete was recognized as an all-american scholar and that should be able to make the PDT in less than 3 months. It made the Community Common and even the Chillicothe Gazette in 2 weeks. Any other excuses? I am sure your staff/co-workers appreciate your support, but don't get on here and insult our intelligence with lame excuses. Do the job or find someone who will. Sorry to be so direct, but it really is that simple.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I thought I heard a while back, that The Dailey Times bought out Community Common?

and this is why it only come out one time a wek now instead of twice like it used to/

if this is true, did they keep the full staff from Communty Common?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

kahn wrote:Also as Ive said before, you should all feel lucky that every mistake you make in your jobs isn't hand delivered for criticisim to 10,000+ people.

Keep your heads up down there guys. I miss Ptown but I can't say I really miss having my work assaulted on a regular basis. Good luck.

John Stegeman

Better make that 9,999 cause I am threw with the PDT after not getting any stats or coverage to more than a couple of Friday nights games.

Like Sawdust said, the Ironton Tribune doesnt have a high attrition rate, they lose people all of the time. But they still put together nice pieces for the Saturday morning sports section, cover all of the games, not just the ones that they made it to.

I would bet that 65% or more of the subscribers of the PDT lives outside the Portsmouth zip code and are on rural routes. If you dont make them happy, you lose their business.

I would hope that the frustration shown here on this website is getting passed along to the PDT's so they can make the adjustments needed to continue selling their newspaper.

I will pick up a paper Saturday morning. If they cover all of the games and include the stats, I will buy it. If not, I will set it down and not pick another one up.

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

No one will ever be able to excuse the pitiful articles in Sunday's edition of Friday's games. As I stated before, there were no other "local" stories in Sunday's paper. Meaning the crack staff had all day Saturday to write a respectable article in time for Sunday's edition. Seems to me if they really cared about the interests of their readers - this would have been a priority. Public perception sometimes is more relevant than the truth, especially when dealing with the general public. Hopefully, this weekend will be better. I hate to say - it couldn't be much worse.

BPG
Waterboy

Post by BPG »

I think PDT is doing the best they can. I really think it is great for our town how
they have involved Portsmouth third graders to do some of the writing. The spelling
errors are kind of cute as these youngsters expand their vocabulary.

Return to “Football”