Week 3: Athens (2-0) @ Warren (2-0)

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: Week 3: Athens (2-0) @ Warren (2-0)

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Ironman92 wrote:Athens has a good schedule opportunity to make the playoffs....will need 8-2
They'd better hope Warren, N-Y and Gallipolis win a lot of games to get enough points for the playoffs with an 8-2 record. I don't think they'd come close to getting in with an 8-2 record. Well, I forgot they are DIII now so who knows ?

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

Athens could sneak in with an 8-2 record, but it would not be a lock.

NY BUCKS
All State

Post by NY BUCKS »

Calling it NOW...Athens WILL NOT BEAT NELSONVILLE YORK!!!!!!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

NY BUCKS wrote:Calling it NOW...Athens WILL NOT BEAT NELSONVILLE YORK!!!!!!
Even with Mr. Sharp at his best ?

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

Sharp will get his yards but Warren will contain him...Athens will not be able to outscore Warren

GAHS83
JV Team

Post by GAHS83 »

warriorfrosh wrote:Sharp will get his yards but Warren will contain him...Athens will not be able to outscore Warren

I'm predicting that Leffingwell will be running for his life most of the night and Warren will struggle to score. Athens' defense is vastly improved over last year.

bigbluedad
Freshman Team

Post by bigbluedad »

With all the rain predicted for this week our field might turn out to be the real factor for this game, real grass vs. the play turf of the Dogs home field?

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

Leff has barely been touched the first 2 games....OL much improved and will continue to get better.....the short passing game neutralizes the blitz and then the long strike to Five makes for seven!!!

dilligaf
S

Post by dilligaf »

NY BUCKS wrote:Calling it NOW...Athens WILL NOT BEAT NELSONVILLE YORK!!!!!!

:roll:

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Picking the Warriors in this one. And yes, weather could be a factor on Warren's field with their style of play.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Should bea good game. The dogs corners better be ready. I'm gonnago with Athens by 3. The dogswill go 9-1 this year.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

bigbluedad wrote:With all the rain predicted for this week our field might turn out to be the real factor for this game, real grass vs. the play turf of the Dogs home field?
Trust me we've played our fair share of games on natural surfaces in recent years and we still have grass facilities to use for practice when necessary.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I will say that I give the early edge in this game to Warren, I do expect coach Adams and Co. to play with extra DB's this week and blitz a little less than in the first two games (not that this would shock anone). If weather is a factor the more physical team will likely win and we will just have to wait and see who that is.

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

This is the game of the week in SE Ohio. Two very evenly matched teams going after it, very much looking forward to it.

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Big Dog you are spot on about field conditions. If Athens sits back and does not blitz. The Dogs are in big trouble even in the mud. The LB as someone mentioned above had better have track shoes. Leff is much more mobile that last season and can run the ball, ask the Herbert Hoover LB that took a stiff arm that planted him on his butt. I will stand by this Athens is a much improved team from last year, Warren is much improved as well. 6'3 & 6'4 wide outs, saw on web site Mays had 184 all purpose yards last week, and 2 rushing TD's, so if the pass is weather controlled, Warren can run with Mays & Harlow. Sharpe may well be the best running back in the area, can't think of anyone else right off the bat of his calibar. So right now I think that this game can easily go either way. I agree this is the game of the week. Go Blue!!!!

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

I didn't say we wouldn't blitz, I said we would blitz less ofter. I'd say at Gallia we blitzed like 75-80% of the time, if we do that against Warren we'll get slant passed to death. I wouldn't be totally shocked with any outcome friday, I really don't knw what to expect.

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Heard today that the Warren freshmen are going to Athens to play in efforts to keep everyone off the field for firday night. Probably a good move. It started as a drizzling rain and got steady around 7pm. then stayed like that all night till around 8:30 this morning. Gonna be hard to make anyone out by mid way 2nd qtr. Both teams will be wearing brown by games end.
Big dog my bad on the blitz, apologies.

questionmark
All Conference

Post by questionmark »

Weather is the biggest factor in this game!

I look back at our 2002 Athens @ Logan game for comparison...

Athens was favored in the game because of our explosive passing attack and shifty running game. However, the field conditions were horrendous and neutralized any and all advantages each team had (ex. Gregory/Hewitt/Rohr) to name a few for each team...

This meant the game's winner was going to be the team who committed the fewest mistakes. On this night, that team happened to be The Logan Chieftans, who escaped the 'Mud Bowl' with a (6-0) victory.

If its pouring, then Warren's gonna find it is hard to pass when your receivers can't pull in wet footballs and the quarterback will struggle with footing and vision. Also, if its pouring our has poured making field conditions slick and muddy, then Athens is gonna find it's hard to use their shifty back when he will have difficulties planting and making cutts. This game will come down to which Defense hold strong and limits mistakes and which special teams groups sets up their teams with short fields as working with short fields in rough conditions will help...

I agree this is the Southeastern Ohio Game of the Week...
Good Luck to both squads and hope for an injury free, hard hitting contest!

Go Bulldogs!
Just Win Baby!

pappy1
Varsity

Post by pappy1 »

I was looking at this game to get a clearer picture of the year in SE Ohio. If it is a sloppy field, it won't neccesarily tell us much.

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Just a novel idea but move it to Peden Stadium or Marietta College (Short notice but they could do it if they absolutely wanted to with the weather forecast).

Return to “Football”