Should Private Schools be put in there own Divisions

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Should Private Schools be put in there own Divisions

Post by loganlocos »

loyaldevilfan wrote:I shouldn't have used the term recruit...That seems to be a sticky term no matter what kind of school you attend...But don't private schools have the ability to offer scholarships to athletes to help bring them to their schools. Because if that is the case what parent wouldn't want to give their child a private school education for free and the sports are an added bonus. I would tell you a number I would like to see and that would be the ratio of actual enrollment in the schools to those who participate in the athletics. Now on the defense of some of the public schools my cousin informed me that alot of the test scores in the columbus area are on the rise and the public schools are starting to get very competitive with the public schools on an academic stand point.

LDF -

Schools are not allowed to offer athletic scholarships. Scholarships offered at those schools are "need" based, and are pretty much never a "free ride" from my understanding. But you cannot, under OHSAA rules, offer athletic scholarships.

In fact, you can't give athletes anything you don't give the general student population.

And there are a lot of GREAT public school districts in the Columbus area, and other areas. But by in large, the private institutions can offer things that public schools can't in terms of curriculum, class size, and teacher specialization.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

Fun in the Sun wrote:I don't know how many states have two winners per divisions , but Tennessee has been doing it for years .

I would like to know more....

Yossarian
Freshman Team

Post by Yossarian »

GAHS, the concentration of athletes is the point I was trying to make with American legion baseball (and any sport for that matter). The maximum number you can choose a team from is 5,000. In smaller areas of the state the number in all schools combined may be well below 1,000. Some Legion posts actually have the full 5,000 to draw from, and in some cases have cut a player from a particular high school because they don't want to count that schools entire population for just one player. Combine that fact with closing enrollment when it suits the interests of the school and it's athletic teams makes for a distinct competitive advantage whether anyone recruits or not. I respecfully disagree with LL about number of titles. I think it speaks volumes about what has been going on for decades.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

Yossarian wrote:GAHS, the concentration of athletes is the point I was trying to make with American legion baseball (and any sport for that matter). The maximum number you can choose a team from is 5,000. In smaller areas of the state the number in all schools combined may be well below 1,000. Some Legion posts actually have the full 5,000 to draw from, and in some cases have cut a player from a particular high school because they don't want to count that schools entire population for just one player. Combine that fact with closing enrollment when it suits the interests of the school and it's athletic teams makes for a distinct competitive advantage whether anyone recruits or not. I respecfully disagree with LL about number of titles. I think it speaks volumes about what has been going on for decades.

Yossarian -

I think it is extremely short sided to think that schools would "close" enrollment for athletics.

In the end, these schools still rely on tuition from students to keep their doors open. I don't know of too many schools that would have the ability to just stop accepting students (and their $$$$$$) just so that they can win get a couple more playoff wins.

If that were the case, how would DeSales and Watterson allow themselves to move into Division II the last two years?

American Legion is not a good analogy. It is easy to cut a player when there is no consequence. They don't lose money, in fact they give themselves a competitive advantage with no consequence.

For these schools, they could gain a competitive advantage, but they would have to GIVE away money. I hardly think that the Priests/Bishops/Superintendents of these schools would put schools in potential financial instability to gain an advantage in athletics.

You disagree about the title because you want to find an excuse. I take it you never took a statistics class?

Correlation does not equal causation.

SE Ohio is severely under represented in championships compared to other regions. Should we petition the OHSAA to create a state title just for SE Ohio? Using the logic above we should.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

2 WORDS------------HE%$#@#$^&*()_*&^%$-YES THEY SHOULD BE. CLEAR ENOUGH.

BockBock
Waterboy

Post by BockBock »

simply put no!!!.......As stated b4 there would be no clear cut single state winner at the end of the year IMHO.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

I'VE GOT A SOLUTION!!!!! FOR EACH DIVISION HAVE A CHAMPIONSHIP FOR PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SCHOOLS THEN HAVE THE WINNERS OF THE CORRESPONDINGE DIVISION PLAY FOR THE ULTIMATE CHAMPIONSHIP . THEN PRIVATE SCHOOLS WON'T BE KNOCKING PUBLIC SCHOOLS OUT. I WOULD HAVE BEEN PROUD TO HAVE WON THE PUBLIC SCHOOL CHAMPIONSHIP AND LOST THE ULTIMATE WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL. AT LEAST I WOULD BE ABLE TO SAY WE HAD A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

trojanbacker97
Riding the Bench

Post by trojanbacker97 »

This thread is stupid. There is nothing wrong with the system the way it is. Leave it alone. As for recruiting if your school already has a reputation for being good you don't have to recruit.Look at how Ironton has benefited over the years because of transfers.The reason Ironton has been blessed with this advantage over the years is simply because they knew if they played for the Tigers they were going to probably win alot of games and they were going to get noticed more than if they stayed where they were at.Really good athletes in most cases are going to go to schools where they will be noticed and they know they will win.Whether it be a public schools or a private school it doesn't matter.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

I think they should let them have their own play offs or don't let them recruit other players

readn,writn,&rt243
Riding the Bench

Post by readn,writn,&rt243 »

It is very unlikely the OHSAA will change the system to a public vs. private scenario. I think the DVI private schools "may" have the advantage in that with as few athletes as they have, they can put that 3-5 better kids on the team and win. The big schools are a little different. Many think that because they have so many to choose from they are automatically going to be better. The city private schools have many of the things LL stated, strong family, legacy, etc.... I remember listening to 700WLW radio when they were interviewing 2 returning seniors for Colerain. They discussed their typical day, workout out 6:30 a.m., team meeting following, school all day, practice after school, then 2-3 hours of homework, bed at midnight, do it over again the next day. It is not luck that these young men and women get the opportunity to play at the next level. I applaud the parents, coaches, teachers and community that encourage the GREAT students from SE Ohio to challenge themselves to compete, and they do very well, at every level.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

trojanbacker97 wrote:This thread is stupid. There is nothing wrong with the system the way it is. Leave it alone. As for recruiting if your school already has a reputation for being good you don't have to recruit.Look at how Ironton has benefited over the years because of transfers.The reason Ironton has been blessed with this advantage over the years is simply because they knew if they played for the Tigers they were going to probably win alot of games and they were going to get noticed more than if they stayed where they were at.Really good athletes in most cases are going to go to schools where they will be noticed and they know they will win.Whether it be a public schools or a private school it doesn't matter.

I think it is funny that you are the only one who thinks this thread is stupid....Their has been a really good debate going about this and this has been an issue long talked about. If you think it is so stupid then why even post a reply? Sometimes really good athletes cannot afford to go to private schools and are forced to stay in public schools... Don't you think if their were split divisions of some sort it would give those athletes a better chance to get noticed, because you would have more teams in a playoff format....And by the way, if this is such a stupid thread then why are states changing their systems. Obviously there are problems with the system it is just a matter of whether it will get fixed or not.

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

Just bring back open enrollment.

BigMcCauley55
S

Post by BigMcCauley55 »

yes because they can recruit which other schools cant now its not sports recruting its for the education the school gives but when it comes down to it they can target the more gifted indivduals that so happen to player sports and might be in a family where sports is a huge thing. Im not accusing anyone of recruiting but i know some teams that have had say dads and brothers and other family members excel in sports and go to college for it. Its not wrong be at least put them in their own divison so they can one have probaly in some cases better comp. but then again that might draw colleges away from the gifted kids that cant afford private.

It all depends on how you look at it I guess because there is good and bad.

gloria7771
Waterboy

Post by gloria7771 »

Private should play private and public public.
this is silly to classify them any other way.
as far as state champs, one for private and one for public
how is that no fair.
They make their own choice to be private so let it be :12222

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

LoganLocos wrote:I say, with 100% confidence, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

It would cheapen a championship and punish the private schools who "play by the rules," which many of them do. Let me make a few rebuttals to some of you:

loyaldevilfan wrote:To me it doesn't seem fair to public schools who can't recruit to play private schools who can

First off, NO ONE "Can" recruit, and I think few schools do, private or public. This is an easy excuse to make, but rarely is true.

Public schools benefit from "transfers" as much as anyone else. You have to look no further than our own area to see this.

But more importantly, I'll look at two D1 PUBLIC powers:

Dublin Coffman: After Brady Quinn, a local boy, the next two quarterbacks at Coffman magically transfered into the district. Jack Rafferty came from I believe St. Charles to play his senior year for the Shamrocks, and the next quarterback was Josh Febus, who came from Mount Vernon maybe? And last year, their QB Chris Stout was a freshman at Pickerington North in 2004. I know because I watched Logan beat him at the freshman level. All three of those guys are playing at the next level.

Massillon: Notorious for receiving player from all around Stark County and beyond. Justin Zwick and Devoe Torrence are two recent examples who played or were committed to Ohio State. That does include the dozen or so other kids I'm not familiar with because I don't live up there.

hawkeyepierce wrote:I did a study on this just three years ago, and you will be surprised at the numbers. And remember the numbers don't lie.

I went back to 1972 and just looked at the State Champions in football only, in those Championship games the private or selective enrollment schools have 88 state championships, conversely, public schools also have 88 championships. Now here is the rub. Selective Enrollment schools only make up 22% of the total OHSAA sanctioned schools. That is correct boys and girls there are three times as many public schools as private, but yet they have the same number of championships, in one sport where you might think that there would be more parody.

Is it fair? Absolutely not. Will anything be done about it? No, not when the previous and current Commissioner are devout Catholics.

Numbers may not lie, but they also don't always tell the truth.

Did your study take into account other factors? Such as the fact that many private schools are in densely populated areas that have more youth leagues/middle schools/etc therefore much more talent to share with several schools in the area?

Did the study take into account the fact that many private schools have HUGE booster organizations often funded by tax-exempt churches? These schools often have wealthy alumni who give back. This leads to the ability to hire more and better coaches, improve facilities (without concern for how it will look when passing a levy), and buy better equipment?

Did the study take into account the socio-economic factors that go into schools that win championships? Most kids who go to private schools have more money and come from a lower percentage of single family households. It has been proven in education that kids from a higher socio-economic background with two parent households have a higher success rate. Isn't it safe to assume that the same could carry over to sports? After all, coaching is just teaching outside of the classroom.

And back to education, these same private schools perform at a higher standard in the classroom than their public counterparts. There is nothing "sinister" at work to improve their performance in the classroom. Why does it make sense for them to have to be "sinister" in the athletic arena?

From a statistical standpoint, your results are only as good as your variables.

"Garbage in, Garbage out" - and look at title numbers without taking into account the other variables tells us nothing.

Remember, that while many students/families do choose a private school for athletics, they are still a minority. Most of the students who attend private schools do so for religious reasons, for quality of education, for (perceived) security, for college applications, and other extra curricular activities.

Yes you are right, there are many, many different variables. And it would not fix the underlying problems by just splitting into the public and private the divisions.

However, the athletes that usually make a difference in winning state championships and not winning state championships are attending the selective enrollment schools on scholarship. Case in point; LeBron James. James was an inner city black kid that live with his mother that received social welfare aid. Now the question is how could the James' family afford ASVSM? Therefore can we assume that if James was 5'9" and played in the band, he would not attend ASVSM?

Furthermore, Glenville Academy (selective enrollment, much in the same honor and tradition of the now defunct Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education) in Cleveland was just established 12 or 13 years ago and yet they have made the football playoffs, 8 or 9 times. To put that in perspective, Vinton County is in 43rd year and has made the playoffs twice.

Moreover, Youngstown Mooney a DIV school, just two years had nine division one prospects on their roster, athletes enrolled on scholarship or not. I am willing to bet everything I own there is or will be no other public DIV in the state that will bare, raised or even recruit nine DI prospects.

As for the HUGE boosters organization that is a myth, unless you are talking about the elite, St. X, St. I, Moeller who often get personal and corporate donations and so on. I am sure that the Jackson's Sideliners or the Vinton County Athletic Boosters have bigger coffers than that of Mooney. In the Sports Illustrated article when James was in high school, the coach was quoted has to saying that had trouble buying uniforms, that was until James with his notoriety and Sal Vaccaro of Adidas arrived and supplied ASVSM with uniforms and shoes. Now, I am sure that Mr. James gives generously to the Athletic Program of ASVSM.

These are examples of what is wrong with high school sports. I am not advocating for the split but rather stricter enforcement and stiffer penalties for offenders.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

LoganLocos wrote:
loyaldevilfan wrote:I shouldn't have used the term recruit...That seems to be a sticky term no matter what kind of school you attend...But don't private schools have the ability to offer scholarships to athletes to help bring them to their schools. Because if that is the case what parent wouldn't want to give their child a private school education for free and the sports are an added bonus. I would tell you a number I would like to see and that would be the ratio of actual enrollment in the schools to those who participate in the athletics. Now on the defense of some of the public schools my cousin informed me that alot of the test scores in the columbus area are on the rise and the public schools are starting to get very competitive with the public schools on an academic stand point.

LDF -

Schools are not allowed to offer athletic scholarships. Scholarships offered at those schools are "need" based, and are pretty much never a "free ride" from my understanding. But you cannot, under OHSAA rules, offer athletic scholarships.

In fact, you can't give athletes anything you don't give the general student population.

And there are a lot of GREAT public school districts in the Columbus area, and other areas. But by in large, the private institutions can offer things that public schools can't in terms of curriculum, class size, and teacher specialization.

At the larger Private schools don't give atheltic scholarships but are based on "need" . They "need" a better QB who can throw and they also "need" a WR who runs a 4.4. yeah they are based on "needs"! :razz: :razz:

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Yes you are right, there are many, many different variables. And it would not fix the underlying problems by just splitting into the public and private the divisions.

However, the athletes that usually make a difference in winning state championships and not winning state championships are attending the selective enrollment schools on scholarship. Case in point; LeBron James. James was an inner city black kid that live with his mother that received social welfare aid. Now the question is how could the James' family afford ASVSM? Therefore can we assume that if James was 5'9" and played in the band, he would not attend ASVSM?

Furthermore, Glenville Academy (selective enrollment, much in the same honor and tradition of the now defunct Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education) in Cleveland was just established 12 or 13 years ago and yet they have made the football playoffs, 8 or 9 times. To put that in perspective, Vinton County is in 43rd year and has made the playoffs twice.

Moreover, Youngstown Mooney a DIV school, just two years had nine division one prospects on their roster, athletes enrolled on scholarship or not. I am willing to bet everything I own there is or will be no other public DIV in the state that will bare, raised or even recruit nine DI prospects.

As for the HUGE boosters organization that is a myth, unless you are talking about the elite, St. X, St. I, Moeller who often get personal and corporate donations and so on. I am sure that the Jackson's Sideliners or the Vinton County Athletic Boosters have bigger coffers than that of Mooney. In the Sports Illustrated article when James was in high school, the coach was quoted has to saying that had trouble buying uniforms, that was until James with his notoriety and Sal Vaccaro of Adidas arrived and supplied ASVSM with uniforms and shoes. Now, I am sure that Mr. James gives generously to the Athletic Program of ASVSM.

These are examples of what is wrong with high school sports. I am not advocating for the split but rather stricter enforcement and stiffer penalties for offenders.

Hawkeye -

We can agree on your last point, and many of your other points. I'm not saying the system "works," it has PLENTY of problems, I just think the idea of splitting the private schools isn't going to be much of a fix.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I'm not saying the system "works," it has PLENTY of problems, I just think the idea of splitting the private schools isn't going to be much of a fix.

I for one, totally agree.

gloria7771
Waterboy

Post by gloria7771 »

And "based on need" key words are the reason they should be split. As for the double-dip, well, that is the sacrafice they make for taking their kids to these schools looking for the free ride to college.
don't bs the bsr, it is apparent that parents make the choices based on the above equation, the more state champs on the resume the better.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

But football coaches don't award scholarships. This isn't Ohio State we are talking about.

Keep making the excuses. Don't make yourself better. Make the job easier instead of yourself. That seems to be the American way these days.

Return to “Football”