WK 6 Meigs @ Warren

Clover
Waterboy

Re: WK 6 Meigs @ Warren

Post by Clover »

Warren will win this week. The Warriors run defense seems to be pretty stingy this year even against the stronger teams that they have faced so far.(ei. Marietta and Zanesville).....Yes, I realize you also have to stop the passing game in order to be successful against Meigs but, I think Warren will be able to pressure the Meigs QB and force some mistakes. Warrens running attack should be able to control the clock and wear down the opposition providing they play 4 QTR's of all out football..........GO BLUE!

My prediction

Warren 26
Meigs 14

warriiorfan
Freshman Team

Post by warriiorfan »

Meigs coaches, save your time and energy- just broke down Warren's offensive tendencies for the first 1/2 of the season!

REALLY want the WARRIORS to win, but trying to be a generous host....

1st down 99.999999999999% running plays

2nd 98.9999999999999999% running plays

3rd (-5) 99.99999999999999% running plays
3rd (5+) 99.99999999999% waggle to wide side

what threw off the % was the last drive at Marietta when driving the field with limited time (and some success)

0 reverses (criss-cross double hand-off doesn't count)
0 fades
0 quick-outs
0 quick-slants

Go Blue!!!!

fasteach
Varsity

Post by fasteach »

are sure you are a warrior fan, warriiorfan? thank god you're our side.

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Post by coal miner's son »

The sad truth of the matter is that "warriiorfan" is right on the money. There is no need to scout Warren. My question is "Are the coaches too lazy to add to their schemes on offense, are they working together, are the kids unable to learn more than what they've learned, are the coaches not knowledgable enough to add more, or are they just getting this season over with?" I'm not going to sugar-coat this as others have done by saying they need to be more creative. I see a program that is playing not to lose. Scout yourself! At this point, being ULTRA conservative is counterproductive. Take some risks. Show the kids that you have faith in their ability to do something different. If your unable to throw the ball down field, then install a package with #1 as the QB and run some single wing stuff or have him throw the ball down field to someone else other than himself. The run is established, now it's time to put in some play action. Start throwing on first down more often.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Unfortunately, what is being posted here is true. Warren is very predictable and have been for a long time. I will say one thing though, don't blame the kids. They have heart and they have talent. It is not their fault their talents are not being utilized. Keep giving it all you have guys.

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

Why are there people complaining about the playcalling? Honestly, the team has won two games, and was very close to winning the Marietta contest at Marietta.

There isn't a need to run all sorts of variations of plays. Warren's game is ball control and defense. They must continue to try to run the football and eat up clock. This shouldn't be up for debate. If you can run the football, why on earth would you want to pass it? Do people forget the success Parkersburg, Ironton, and Jackson have had over the years. They didn't throw the ball more than 5 times a game, and even those were screens. Warren doesn't need to air it out, it is too low percentage anyway. Offensive variations are overrated at this level. If you can run the football successfully why do anything else.

Pifer is doing a great job, Warren is far more competitive this year than in years passed. Why screw with it? It is like all people can do is complain, no credit at all given to the good job being done. No wonder no coaches want to come to Warren, or even stay there.

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

I don't completely disagree with you. The kids have been playing their guts out. I don't question that, but that is also my point. Break tendancies periodically order for the boys to be rewarded for their efforts on offense. The defense then has a less of an uphill battle. I'm not saying that they should empty the backfield. I do think that running the ball and playing great defense is the key to success, but the threat of a pass 1/3 of the time would cause teams to stay in their base defenses and not put 9 or 10 kids in the box.

C4PITTS
Waterboy

Post by C4PITTS »

I think you're wrong Swami, Coaches need to fit the offense to their personnel, not the other way around. Logan for example has a QB and some receivers that is allowing them to open their offense up. Warren is not physically able to line up and slug it out with too many teams. You don't even have to throw much more, just spreading things out with the formations would help immensely. Someone said awhile back that our special teams coach is really good because we always have good returns, truth is we have good returns because we are putting the ball in the hands of some pretty good athletes out in space where they are hard to handle one on one. The offense is so confined that they never get an opportunity to make a play. You won't see a defense the rest of the year that has anybody more than 7 yards off the ball and 8 or 9 in the box!! The players need to be put in a position to succeed and they can't put themselves there. And as for coaches not coming or staying at Warren, we have made 1 meaningful search for a coach since Devol left so I guess we don't know if anyone is interested or not !!!

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

You do your best to put the team in a position to win.

After the break down at Philo, you have to take a hard look at what exactly will put Warren in the best position to win.

We come from different schools it seems. I am much more inclined to say, I would rather have 6 plays and run them to perfection than have 20 plays with only 3 or 4 plays that we can execute on. Fans want to see the ball in the air because that is exciting, I get it. There are mentions that the athletes need to be put in the best position to help the team, this is division 3 football in southern Ohio. The only teams that pass in our division are the ones with obvious standout quarterbacks, Walls, Westbrook, West.

Warren is not to the level of Logan in any stretch, in terms of technique and overall skill at most positions, Warren is developing but still light years behind. Because of this, we don't have the luxury of spreading things out and giving the ball to our athletes. It has been such a chore to protect the quarterback over the past 5 years that what little good Warren has going in the protection shouldn't be tested. When you have great football players, who are well coached in their positions then you could consider it, but the program is still developing, the program needs to continue to improve and trying to do things our players can't do well, only sets it back.

90% of the schools are run first second and third offenses. it is only in the upper divisions where there are more great football players (not athletes) who can execute passing offenses and in the lower divisions where the secondary players are typically so small you can get away with a lot more in the passing game.

The risk is much higher than the reward in the passing game at Warren's level, and from what I have seen of the defense, it makes the most sense to grind it out and keep the scores low. Passing games stop the clock and create more turnovers than touchdowns. With the Warren secondary banged up, why would anyone want to give the ball to the opposing offense more quickly?

Take every bit of air out the ball, play with a flat one if possible, and just run run run, and if you are 4th and 2, run again.

I know it is boring, and no one wants to watch these games, but I would rather see wins than the occasional passing play.

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

swamisez wrote:You do your best to put the team in a position to win.

After the break down at Philo, you have to take a hard look at what exactly will put Warren in the best position to win.

We come from different schools it seems. I am much more inclined to say, I would rather have 6 plays and run them to perfection than have 20 plays with only 3 or 4 plays that we can execute on. Fans want to see the ball in the air because that is exciting, I get it. There are mentions that the athletes need to be put in the best position to help the team, this is division 3 football in southern Ohio. The only teams that pass in our division are the ones with obvious standout quarterbacks, Walls, Westbrook, West.

90% of the schools are run first second and third offenses. it is only in the upper divisions where there are more great football players (not athletes) who can execute passing offenses and in the lower divisions where the secondary players are typically so small you can get away with a lot more in the passing game.

The risk is much higher than the reward in the passing game at Warren's level, and from what I have seen of the defense, it makes the most sense to grind it out and keep the scores low. Passing games stop the clock and create more turnovers than touchdowns. With the Warren secondary banged up, why would anyone want to give the ball to the opposing offense more quickly?

Take every bit of air out the ball, play with a flat one if possible, and just run run run, and if you are 4th and 2, run again.

I know it is boring, and no one wants to watch these games, but I would rather see wins than the occasional passing play.

If you look at all the programs who are winning in today's game though they are passing more....It is to easy to coach against a team who all they do is run.....This isn't the Woody days....You have to open the offense up and keep the defense on their toes....You have plenty more options to run and pass with the spread offense....I don't know why teams stick to the just run offense... I mean even Ironton is becoming a passing team....

C4PITTS
Waterboy

Post by C4PITTS »

Marietta is a prime example except they have chosen to run the spread whether they have the personnel or not. The last 2 years with the big boys they had upfront Ive wondered why they didn't just line up and run the football whereas this years tigers seem better suited for the spread.

Defensively this Warrior team is as strong against the run as any team in recent memory and beyond and as long as we play teams that mirror us in offensive ingenuity we can play with anybody . Belpre and South played right in to our strength by " taking the air out of the ball " Any coach worth his salt is going to look at our film and throw the football more than usual and a really good coach will throw ALOT more than usual.

Maybe we just haven't found a team with a weak enough secondary yet to consider changing things up a bit offensively.

gunman
Waterboy

Post by gunman »

If Warren's run defense is pretty decent. Who's the defensive coach's?

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

C4PITTS wrote:Maybe we just haven't found a team with a weak enough secondary yet to consider changing things up a bit offensively.

that might be the fairest estimation. I wonder what the coaches are seeing this week from the Marauders?

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Swami,
I agree with your logic to an extent. Offensively, football is a game of packages. I guess you could say the same for defense. I, too, prefer to run the ball more often than throwing it. Three things happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad. Heck, if a team could win a game buy running the ball every play then more power to them. I just think that at times a pass isn't always bad. It would not have made a differnec against Zanesville anyway.

Clover
Waterboy

Post by Clover »

gunman wrote:
If Warren's run defense is pretty decent. Who's the defensive coach's?

I believe the defensive line coach is Chad (Big N) Smith. He was once a former All State selection in football back in the day. He also played some Div. 1 ball at Ohio university from what I have been told.

fighting_falcon
Freshman Team

Post by fighting_falcon »

With the number of interceptions Warren has had even with the limited pass attempts I think keeping it on the ground isn't bad. Warren just needs to execute and not kill themselves after they make the long drive, like false starts, not getting splits, line up on the wrong side etc.

Who is going to be the Dan Foutts of the Warren offense ??

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

Best wishes Meigs.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Through the first three games Warren didn't really work on the passing game very much in practice. That changed before the Marietta game, and it showed. I think the intent always was to spread things out this season. Early on I believe they were conservative because it made sense both with a new QB and because the passing attack really hadn't been developed. Now that the QB has started to settle in, I think it may just be a matter having the guts to change the tendencies that were established early on. The plays required to open things up are in the playbook and they are being practiced. Hopefully they will take the next step and start to use them. Heck, why not? They have nothing to lose. In fact, our predictability is very likely making the few times we do pass more difficult. Teams know both when we are going to pass and the nature of the passing that we do. Against Z-Ville there was not one time that they weren't passing into tight spots. We have almost no yards after the catch because defenders are hanging on our receivers as they catch the ball. It would be nice if spread things out to give the passing game some room. It would be nice to throw into space from time to time. I think the desire is there, but it just doesn't seem to be happening in the play calling.

It will be interesting to see what they decide to do Saturday night.

Regardless, I think Warren will get it's third straight home win.

hardfowl
All State

Post by hardfowl »

WWFan,

Could you give me Warren's starting offensive lineup?
Thanks

warriiorfan
Freshman Team

Post by warriiorfan »

Go Blue!!! Swami Swami Swami championship teams run the football... most knowlegeable fans know this... break tendencies break tendencies break tendencies.... thats all I would ask for!!

Return to “Football”