Coach's responsibility

Knowbody
Waterboy

Coach's responsibility

Post by Knowbody »

I have a survey type question. Say you are coaching and an extremely bad call goes in your favor. A fumble is recovered, except it isn't a fumble and anybody with eyes can tell you that, but the refs miss it. Or the other team's running back clearly scores, but the refs call him out on YOUR sidelines and you could see plain as day that he never went out of bounds.

What is your ethical obligation? Are you obliged to tell the refs "thanks, but no thanks"? or do you just keep your mouth shut and accept an unfair outcome?

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Coach's responsibility

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Keep your mouth shut. In the end it always equals out.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I dont think it would matter anyway, The Ref will stick with his call.

black_and_orange
Riding the Bench

Post by black_and_orange »

A referee will not change his call based on the coaches comments or requests.

Bad Calls are part of the game, move on and make plays.

4 HORSEMEN
JV Team

Post by 4 HORSEMEN »

I agree with what the others have said............... It isn't going to matter, because an official isn't suppose to change his call based on a coaches opinion (heck if that was the case all the coaches wouldn't have to spend so much time yapping at the officials) :lol:

Official make calls (right of wrong) based on what THEY see, not the coaches (or at least that is how it SHOULD be)

westbrook18
All State

Post by westbrook18 »

Lastnight in my football game I was about to get tackled but pitched it to the fullback when I was still on my feet. The ref called me down and said I was in the grass. Is this not just an NFL rule?

westbrook18
All State

Post by westbrook18 »

To make it more clear for other people the defender had a hold of me and I was about to go down but it was clear that my knee wasn't touching or anything.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Thanks but no thanks????Is Sarah Palin coaching this team? :lol: Of course you keep the ball!

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

Why would a ref go back on his call...Make him look like he does not know what he is doing....There not going to put themselves in that position....Refs make bad calls but they are only human and they know that...You can state your case but it isn't going to do any good.

Knowbody
Waterboy

Post by Knowbody »

I see what everyone else is saying, but at the same time, you are modeling for your kids that it's okay for an unfair play to go on, as long as it's in our favor. It seems a man of intergity should point out when he has an unfair advantage.

I see it both ways.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

Let it go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't see a thing!!!!!!!!!

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Yeah you say something to the official who blew the call "Great call, seen you were right all the way"

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I try to let the refs know all the time when they miss a call,,,,they never.. ever... listen :roll:

Yossarian
Freshman Team

Post by Yossarian »

Knowbody,
Although I agree that saying anything to an official would not be what I would do for the above reasons I think I know where you are coming from about integrity. The problem is that in sports most of the time integrity takes a back seat to the almighty W. There are those that would cheat their own mother for the W. I have a question about coaching for you. What would you think of a coach who NEVER disagrees with an official? Is he just classy or should he be taking up for his team?

loyaldevilfan
JV Team

Post by loyaldevilfan »

If you are wanting to set an example to your kids then don't even point out the play or mention it...If it is mentioned to you then you just tell them that the refs are only human and make mistakes...The rest will take care of itself...Just don't harp on the issue and the kids will focus on next week.....

ravens
Waterboy

Post by ravens »

Keep your mouth shut and grin about it shaking your head,and let's hope that a call like that is not called against your team. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ravens
Waterboy

Post by ravens »

What about a call against the defense while tackling? Now get this one a penalty on the defense for blocking below the knee while tackling a ball carrier. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

earp
S

Post by earp »

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

loyaldevilfan wrote:If you are wanting to set an example to your kids then don't even point out the play or mention it...If it is mentioned to you then you just tell them that the refs are only human and make mistakes...The rest will take care of itself...Just don't harp on the issue and the kids will focus on next week.....

i think thats the best thing ldf. don't even say anything.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

ravens wrote:What about a call against the defense while tackling? Now get this one a penalty on the defense for blocking below the knee while tackling a ball carrier. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

You probably misintepreted that one. Its not for tackling the ball carrier its for taking out the lead blocker below the waist. Like when a fullback leads up through the hole and a linebacker instead of taking him on up high he submarines him. Thats illegal you cant do that. Block below the waist on the defense.

Return to “Football”