Marietta --- the next to leave the SEOAL?

renob
Freshman Team

Marietta --- the next to leave the SEOAL?

Post by renob »

NY BUCKS
All State

Re: Marietta --- the next to leave ?

Post by NY BUCKS »

DIDNT SEE THAT COMING.

loganlocos
SEOP

Re: Marietta --- the next to leave ?

Post by loganlocos »

Not shocking IMO.

Marietta is the most geographically isolated team in the SEOAL at this point (along with Warren). I wonder if there is a real possibility of Warren going to the OVAC as well?

I would hate to see Marietta go. They have always been a class act, but I have seen the writing on the wall for a couple of years, and IMO it is till a matter of time.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Re: Marietta --- the next to leave the SEOAL?

Post by WitnessProtection »

I wouldn't be surprised if both Marietta and Warren left the SEOAL in the near future. Since the league's expansion, it seems to me that those two schools have kind of lost touch with the rest of the league. I think the higher-profile additions of Chillicothe, Ironton and Portsmouth may have pushed Marietta and Warren to the back burner so to speak.
Plus, Marietta and Warren identify a little more geographically with the OVAC schools.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

They'll be gone soon!!!!!!!!!!

Da man
Riding the Bench

Post by Da man »

wow, if marietta and warren are leaving, and ironton fans are complaining about how they can't go 10-0 in the SEOAL, what teams would this league pick up?

SEOAL
Logan
Chillicothe
Gallia Academy
Jackson
Portsmouth

Ironton????

Out
Warren
Zanesville
Marietta

I guess Ironton would probably stay with those three leaving, its going to be the best fit for them as they will never have any other conference to go to....at least that I can think of. Would the league be content with 6?

MariettaPride21
S

Post by MariettaPride21 »

Lost touch??

That doesn't make much sense considering Marietta wins the all sports award pretty much the past ten years

Army
S

Post by Army »

I see Marietta going with that new league formation soon and re-joining the OVAC. As for Warren, I don't know if they go the same route, but heard the TVC-Ohio turned their request down last year to re-join that Conference. So, don't know where Warren goes. The MVL has not offered them a slot. I guess independent if they leave, unless they go to the OVAC too? I can't blame them.

I also see Ironton leaving soon to. There are may in I-Town very split still, on this SEOAL and many hate to see their program losing to teams like Logan, Chillicothe.

If those three teams leave, we will become a 5 team SEOAL. Bar any others departing. I know many say on here that Portsmouth would still be in the SEOAL if Ironton vacates, hopefully that is a true statement. I doubt Chillicothe would stay in a 4 team league if Portsmouth leaves too. Hopefully, if the SEOAL does dwindle down to a 5 team league in a couple of years from now, the SEOAL will seek a contract agreement with a few conferences and leagues in SE-Ohio to fulfill the 6 non-league games they will have to schedule. Just like the MVL-ECOL has.

As for Portsmouth, Jackson and Gallia Academy, maybe the SOC II, TVC-Ohio and OVC could agree to an arrangement concerning non-league games.

Chillicothe and Logan could make arrangements with the MSL-Buckeye, MSL-Ohio, CCL and SCOL.

If for example, Ironton, Marietta and Warren told us they were leaving at the end of this year as Zanesville is, it might put some serious pressure on the AD's to schedule, but in time I think we could survive.

I like the idea of forming our own OVAC version in SE-Ohio. Call it the OVAL (Ohio Valley Atheletic League). All the SE-Ohio and South Central Ohio Teams would still be members of their leagues and respected conferences but also members of the OVAC version of teams in SE and SC-Ohio / WVA and KY.

Look at the Leagues and Conferences we have to draw from down here to formulate such an idea Super League playing in two actual leagues. The scheduling would be nice if we went to an actual 5 team SEOAL.

We have the SEOAL, SCOL, SOC I, SOC II, TVC-Ohio, TVC-Hocking, OVC, MSL-Buckeye, to include independents South Gallia and Ironton St. Joe. We also have some teams in WVA wight be able to include like Point Plesent, Buffulo, Wahama and Hannan. In Kentucky, Greenup, Russell, Ashland and Boyd Counties.

swamisez
JV Team

Post by swamisez »

we have discussed this before, but marietta would most likely get dual citizenship in the OVAC and the SEOAL, so they can fill open dates on their schedule. They already play Cambridge and New Philly (both members of the OVAC) so a joinder of this league is smart.

As for Warren? It doesn't make a ton of sense because unless they want to keep playing Zanesville and South. Those are the only two OVAC teams they play now.

I doubt Warren joins.

Army
S

Post by Army »

scooter wrote:wow, if marietta and warren are leaving, and ironton fans are complaining about how they can't go 10-0 in the SEOAL, what teams would this league pick up?

SEOAL
Logan
Chillicothe
Gallia Academy
Jackson
Portsmouth

Ironton????

Out
Warren
Zanesville
Marietta

I guess Ironton would probably stay with those three leaving, its going to be the best fit for them as they will never have any other conference to go to....at least that I can think of. Would the league be content with 6?

scooter,

I think Ironton still will go. To answer the other question, I don't think there is anybody else down here in SE-Ohio wanting in the SEOAL. Who is left?

Since the forming of the SEOAL at Wellston, Ohio in 1925, the departures began in the 20's seeing SEOAL Teams depart and some coming back. Some consolidating and then leaving.

Since the 70's 4 Charter Member Teams or those with long standing in the SEOAL that departed the league are now back together in the TVC-Ohio Division. Nelsonville-York, Wellston, Meigs and newcomer Athens are in the TVC-Ohio.

SEOAL Departures:

1920's
Portsmouth 1928 (1925-1928)
Athens 1928 (1925-1928)

1930's
Ironton 1930 (1925-1930)
New Boston 1936 (1926-1936)

1970's
Nelsonville-York leaving in 1970 for the TVC (1967-1970)
Nelsonville H.S. SEOAL Member (1925-1967) consolidated with Non-SEOAL Member Bucthel-York H.S. forming Nelsonville-York in 1967.

1980's
Wellston in 1981 for the TVC (1925-1981)

Meigs in 1982 for the TVC (1967-1982)
Meigs H.S. was formed by consolidation of:
a. Pomeroy H.S. SEOAL Member (1925-1967)
b. Middleport H.S. SEOAL Member (1929-1967)
c. Non-SEOAL member Rutland H.S.

Waverly in 1982 back to the SOC (1970-1982)

Ironton 1984 (1968-1984)

2000's
River Valley 2001 for the OVC (1994-2001)
Point Pleasant, WV 2003 (1996-2003)
Athens 2008 for the TVC-Ohio (1925-1928 / 1931-2008)
Zanesville 2009 (2006-2009)

So who is next?
Warren 1985-?
Marietta 1986-?
Ironton 2006-?

If that takes place, will a 5 Team SEOAL survive with?

1. Chillicothe Cavaliers DIII 2006-
2. Portsmouth Trojans DIV 1925-1928 / 2006-
3. Jackson Ironmen DII 1925-
4. Gallia Academy Blue Devils DIV 1925-
5. Logan Chieftians DII 1925-

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

swamisez wrote:we have discussed this before, but marietta would most likely get dual citizenship in the OVAC and the SEOAL, so they can fill open dates on their schedule. They already play Cambridge and New Philly (both members of the OVAC) so a joinder of this league is smart.

As for Warren? It doesn't make a ton of sense because unless they want to keep playing Zanesville and South. Those are the only two OVAC teams they play now.

I doubt Warren joins.

Swami -

I agree that duel OVAC/SEOAL membership is a possibility, but it sounds to me like South/Zanesville/Marietta/Cambridge are looking to create some time of division in the OVAC to play for a championship. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what I'm reading and you are certainly closer to the situation than I am.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Personally I hope Ironton stays in the SEOAL. The competition is good and with Zanesville leaving, that's one less 2 1/2 hour drive. I really don't mind the driving but I can see where it may strap alot of fans trying to make it to a game that far away if you have a 9-5 job, luckily I work midnights and get off Friday mornings so the drive's not bad for me. That's just me though, I can't speak for everyone else because I don't know everyones situation. As far as the school itself, I don't know how they are set for money to be able to pay for the long trips with all the other sports involved.

Army
S

Post by Army »

One thing is most likely. If Marietta, Warren and Ironton actually leave the SEOAL, there are no teams left to join the SEOAL in SE-Ohio.

If so, they would be knocking on our door.

Waverly DIV and Wheelersburg DV are the only two that come to mind that actually could compete year in and year out in the SEOAL. But, I don't think Waverly wants to re-visit there former league that they were not that successful in comparison to their SOC and SOC II record.

When Waverly was in the SEOAL from 1970-1982 there:

Overall Record - 15-72-01
SEOAL Outright Championships -0
SEOAL Co-Championships -0

I am sure Waverly could compete now, but as Wheelersburg, why leave the confines of a close in league. Where rivalries are established and travel is short.

Wheelersburg could compete too, but why leave the SOC II that is a close in league? Instead of traveling and facing the likes of Chillicothe DIII, Logan DII, Jackson DII, Gallia Academy DIV and Portsmouth DIV year in and year out in a League, if the SEOAL reduces to 5 teams.

The Burg already plays Portsmouth and Ironton every year in non-league so that would not be a problem of playing Portsmouth. With that said, I don't see the Pirate faithful, taking to kindly of losing more games in a league, The SEOAL, that they are not used too as in the SOC II. :-D

The same goes for the Waverly Tigers :!: :-D

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

Army, remember the qoate "if it can happen it will happen'. iI have said this for sometime and the SEOAL cheerleaders beleived that this league would last forever. I look for more to come and eventually a complete different look for the SEOAL or maybe even the super league you spoke of before with Gallipolis, Ironton, Wheelersburg, P West, Portsmouth, Waverly, Chilli. and Jackson. I can only hope.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

oldschoolblue wrote:Army, remember the qoate "if it can happen it will happen'. iI have said this for sometime and the SEOAL cheerleaders beleived that this league would last forever. I look for more to come and eventually a complete different look for the SEOAL or maybe even the super league you spoke of before with Gallipolis, Ironton, Wheelersburg, P West, Portsmouth, Waverly, Chilli. and Jackson. I can only hope.

oldschool -

I don't think anyone believed the 10 team league would last forever. This league, since 1968, has undergone MANY changes, and I think that anyone who reasonably looked at this league 3 years ago knew more changes would come.

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I would think that none of those teams would want to ,or be accepted in the TVC-Ohio. JMHO

converterfan
Freshman Team

Post by converterfan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: how bout ironton just join the ovc :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8

Army
S

Post by Army »

oldschoolblue wrote:Army, remember the qoate "if it can happen it will happen'. iI have said this for sometime and the SEOAL cheerleaders beleived that this league would last forever. I look for more to come and eventually a complete different look for the SEOAL or maybe even the super league you spoke of before with Gallipolis, Ironton, Wheelersburg, P West, Portsmouth, Waverly, Chilli. and Jackson. I can only hope.

oldschoolblue,

I really like the possible SEOAC league too :!:

All five SEOAL South Division Teams and three SOC II Teams.

Chillicothe DIII Rt. 23
Waverly DIV Rt. 23
Portsmouth DIV Rt. 23
Portsmouth West DV Rt. 52
Wheelersburg DV Rt. 52
Ironton DIV Rt. 52
Gallipolis Gallia Academy DIV Rt. 35
Jackson DII Rt. 35

What a Football, Basketball League this would be. 6 Teams listed above also have soccer teams.

This is a real SE-Ohio League. It would only take the 8 to actually get together and compromise. Travel would be far less and great rivals would be created in this format.

Chillicothe's rival already is Portsmouth
Portsmouth's rivals are Ironton and Portsmouth West
Ironton's rivals are Wheelersburg and Portsmouth
Gallia Academy's rival is Jackson

Sure Logan would be left out. They need to realize they are continuing to grow and need to look at larger leagues in their area. Look at the possibility in a year, to a few years from now, concerning the SEOAL.

SEOAL
Logan DII
Chillicothe DIII
Jackson DII
Portsmouth DIV
Gallipolis Gallia Academy DIV

What happens if one more leaves?

I like the new SEOAC Format. Who knows what the future brings.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Army wrote:Sure Logan would be left out. They need to realize they are continuing to grow and need to look at larger leagues in their area. Look at the possibility in a year, to a few years from now, concerning the SEOAL.

You really want Logan out of the SEOAL don't you? Even if Logan goes back to D1, those of us who aren't obsessed with school size still want them in the league. Some of these scenarios that you come up with could be interesting, but you also need to realistic. Portsmouth West, Wheelersburg, and Waverly would be crazy to leave the SOC and join the SEOAL. Why leave a good situation?

Army
S

Post by Army »

Guess you couldn't read. :-D

The talk of those schools coming together would be if the SEOAL actually fell apart. I assume the one DII School would not join. Complaining the rest of us are still too....big :!: :roll: :lol: :lol:

I don't know how they got in that mix anyhow. They would be complaining about Chillicothe, Portsmouth and Ironton :!: :-D

But the TVC-Ohio won't let them in either. :roll: :lol:

Especially, after attending all those TVC meetings the past few years. :lol:

So, I guess if the SEOAL did fall apart due to travel and other teams bolting, that DII Team would have to play as an independent. You think :?: :-D
Last edited by Army on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”