Missing Victory Bell?

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Re: Missing Victory Bell?

Post by The Riepo Man »

And so begins the story of the Great Bell Caper....can anyone say Grand Theft Chime? :lol:

MinnyAckMack10
Freshman Team

Post by MinnyAckMack10 »

Could have been the freddies? :122246 :shock: :122246 :shock: :122246 :shock: :122246 :shock: :122246 :shock: :122246 :shock: :122246

sorry creipo.......................................WAIT..........................no im not!

MinnyAckMack10
Freshman Team

Post by MinnyAckMack10 »

might try lookin at the bottom of the river.. wont do much good though cuz once u find it, kentucky will claim it just like they did that darn rock! :lol: :lol:

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Anybody think that maybe the school officials took it down themselves since they are going to start tearing down the school really soon. Just a possibility.

BULDOG
All Conference

Post by BULDOG »

Word is the bell has been returned to its resting place. Not sure of the details but did hear conflicting stories. One was it was return by the minford person who took it stating it was all in fun and they were going to return it anyway. And the other was it was recovered by the sherriffs dept from the minford person who took it. Not sure which or if either are correct.

Just glad to see it out back in its place. As I understand there is some sentimental value surronding this bell.

m_martin
Riding the Bench

Post by m_martin »

im not mentioning names but the bell was in minford for two days....the sherriff came to school and went to its new home place and took it back to God's country(burg)......it is made of brass around 300 pounds of it and it was taken because people from burg have told people from minford that it is their life and it is a possibility they wanted the life drained from burg

1fan1
Riding the Bench

Post by 1fan1 »

I am so happy the bell was returned! It holds a lot of great memories for many of the Pirate fans and athletes, boys and girls teams alike, who, for years have immediately run to ring the bell in celebration!
I watched last year after the Waverly football victory as every single member of the football team ran up the hill, single file, jumping, screaming and yelling, and each one rang that bell LOUDLY (over fifty times!) as they ran by it, while the Waverly Tigers took a knee in the endzone, listening to the celebration.
It was a great celebration just before they sang the fight song to the crowd! I also remember the volleyball team running out front to ring it after one of their great victories a few years back. That bell is part of countless memories of victory celebrations for Burg grads and players everywhere.
How will the football team ring it when they tear down the school and move it? That's a really long jog to the new school after a hard-fought game!
I also think that the jealousy and envy expressed by those who think they are rivals is really a compliment to the programs the Burg has established and maintained for the past 30+ years. It is true that nearly EVERY team in southern Ohio WANTS to beat the Burg badly, and they all think of it as a big game. The Pirates certainly show up and do their thing for every single one of those games, and that is why they are so good, year after year. As players graduate, others just simply step right in and continue the attitude, work ethic, and meet the expectations. Of course, they do! They have been preparing to do so since they watched from the sidelines in first grade! If Minford stole the bell, that plan sure backfired! Made them look bad and a little stupid. So, maybe it would be better if nobody admits to doing it?

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

It is not a 'football' bell. All teams from all sports have rung it. Oddly enough, Wheelersburg takes pride in all their students efforts both in the classroom and out. I knew several times this season that the golf had won their match by hearing the bell ring during a soccer game.

As for 'countless' memories though, the bell is only a few years old. Of course it has been rung a lot in that amount of time. But I want to say that it has only been around about ten years or less. Which brings up the question of where do you put the bell? Should there be one for the athletic fields around the old high school and one at the new high school? It is now inconvient to come from the high school after a volleyball or basketball game to ring it where it is and the same for a football, soccer, baseball, or track meet if it is moved to the high school.

If they do move it to the new school, they should have the whole student body ring it once each for the Excellence with Distinction rating! It would be difficult to do that with where it is at.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Soccer team rings it more often than the football team.

burggrad_2000
Riding the Bench

u

Post by burggrad_2000 »

1fan1 wrote:I am so happy the bell was returned! It holds a lot of great memories for many of the Pirate fans and athletes, boys and girls teams alike, who, for years have immediately run to ring the bell in celebration!
I watched last year after the Waverly football victory as every single member of the football team ran up the hill, single file, jumping, screaming and yelling, and each one rang that bell LOUDLY (over fifty times!) as they ran by it, while the Waverly Tigers took a knee in the endzone, listening to the celebration.
It was a great celebration just before they sang the fight song to the crowd! I also remember the volleyball team running out front to ring it after one of their great victories a few years back. That bell is part of countless memories of victory celebrations for Burg grads and players everywhere.
How will the football team ring it when they tear down the school and move it? That's a really long jog to the new school after a hard-fought game!
I also think that the jealousy and envy expressed by those who think they are rivals is really a compliment to the programs the Burg has established and maintained for the past 30+ years. It is true that nearly EVERY team in southern Ohio WANTS to beat the Burg badly, and they all think of it as a big game. The Pirates certainly show up and do their thing for every single one of those games, and that is why they are so good, year after year. As players graduate, others just simply step right in and continue the attitude, work ethic, and meet the expectations. Of course, they do! They have been preparing to do so since they watched from the sidelines in first grade! If Minford stole the bell, that plan sure backfired! Made them look bad and a little stupid. So, maybe it would be better if nobody admits to doing it?

Very, very, very well said!!!

This is one of my best parts Quote..."It is true that nearly EVERY team in southern Ohio WANTS to beat the Burg badly, and they all think of it as a big game. "

Dont have much more to say, except...

We are...The BURG!!!!

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Whoever took the bell should have melted it down and then returned it to them! :lol:

m_martin
Riding the Bench

Post by m_martin »

All i have to say is that people from burg should change it to

We Are......Stuck UP

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

I dont know if anyone mentioned it but not only do all of our sports teams ring the bell but also our academic teams that participates in quiz bowl...so basically we can beat you physically and mentally.

We Are.......The BURG!!.......and yes stuck up :lol: :lol:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

this thread is a hoot, any way, glad you got your bell back. and it's up to us as teams, to keep that dang cannon silent. pirates with no bells or cannon's that just ain't right. i like it myself. wish we did more stuff like that. tiger roars, we have a bell somewhere.

westside_rebel
Riding the Bench

Post by westside_rebel »

come on BG77...we know the real reason why everyone is so jealous of the BURG!

It's because you guys have Madd_Doggy... :122246

I know that's why I envy the Burg :lol: :lol: :lol:

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Is this bell some big tradition? I mean I'm gonna be honest, I've seen alot of Minford teams get beat by burg in my day and have NEVER ONCE heard the bell. I couldn't have even told you where it was at. Now that cannon on the other hand, thats what needs to "dissapear". :lol:

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

I wonder if someone threw it in the river?

HERD07
Riding the Bench

Post by HERD07 »

I'm not sure exactly when the bell was installed. I know it wasn't there when I was in school (graduated in 96), but I remember them putting it in when I worked at Burg (between 99-2005). I want to say 2003, maybe? If I remember correctly the bell was donated by John Eaton. The story behind it is this. Mr. Eaton's father was a river barge captain. River boat captains are gone away from their families for long periods of time. As a kid Mr. Eaton lived on the river and each time his father drove by on his barge he rung this bell to let his family know it was him and that he was doing fine. So yes, there is some sentimental value to the bell.

Tartan true 08
Waterboy

Post by Tartan true 08 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
m_martin wrote:
burggrad_2000 wrote:All the "other" teams are MAD cause we kept ringing it!! 7-0

Why would any team want "OUR" bell??? can we say jealous?????

No big deal...BURG is still #1!!!!

We are...The BURG!!!!

look at how u act....is there any reason people dont like burg??....its not the players.....its the people

People in this area don't like the Pirates because they put a consistent winner on the field, the court, or the diamond every season. Only one losing season in football since 1964 and 27 SOC titles to go with that is why people hate the Burg. State titles in football and baseball are why they hate the Burg. Actually I believe it more of a jealousy thing than a hatred because they wish they had the success that the Burg has had over the past 37 years or more.

No i just believe that people hate the burg because if your not rich or high middle class your not welcome there! take your money and shove it!

lets see how good your athletics program is after you cant pull every talented athlete out of every school in the tri-county and yea that's right they get them when there young in junior high!

Bam!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

No i just believe that people hate the burg because if your not rich or high middle class your not welcome there! take your money and shove it!

Well, I guess I better start packing my bags and look to move because I, like most other people from Wheelersburg, live paycheck to paycheck and are not rich or high middle class by no means. It's fools like you that don't have a clue as to how most people live. Crawl back under the rock you came out from under.

Return to “Football”