coal grove vs. ironton

fuzzhead
SEOP

Re: coal grove vs. ironton

Post by fuzzhead »

Come on now.... You played a big Canadian team who was used to playing by different rules - that has to be a pretty big part of it. You also beat a DII Jackson team that got beaten by Gallipolis - who South Point or Coal Grove could DEFINITELY compete with and probably beat. Ironton already beat Gallipolis badly...
But you're missing the point. Ironton used to manhandle a lot of these teams every year. They don't anymore...
You can't have it both ways: you have to A) Admit Ironton is declining, partly from other teams' getting bigger/better or B) Stick to your guns and continue to claim there's nothing different when all evidence points in the other direction.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

fuzzhead wrote:Come on now.... You played a big Canadian team who was used to playing by different rules - that has to be a pretty big part of it. You also beat a DII Jackson team that got beaten by Gallipolis - who South Point or Coal Grove could DEFINITELY compete with and probably beat. Ironton already beat Gallipolis badly...
But you're missing the point. Ironton used to manhandle a lot of these teams every year. They don't anymore...
You can't have it both ways: you have to A) Admit Ironton is declining, partly from other teams' getting bigger/better or B) Stick to your guns and continue to claim there's nothing different when all evidence points in the other direction.

I guess we will have to see in the long run. We had 3 tough years in the 90's. 96,97,98 and bounced back in 99 to play in the State Championship game. Time will tell.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

That is very true. But this goes back to one of my earlier points: Lutz won't be around for as long as he has been. He quit a few years back and no one wanted the job of trying to fill the shoes of a living legend - it was in the summer when they finally got a coach - who was bashed by many after the team didn't do as well as some thought it should, even though he got them back into the playoffs.
When Lutz steps down, then what? If Tiger fans are as impatient with another coach as they were with Coach T, the program will only sink that much faster.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

fuzzhead wrote:That is very true. But this goes back to one of my earlier points: Lutz won't be around for as long as he has been. He quit a few years back and no one wanted the job of trying to fill the shoes of a living legend - it was in the summer when they finally got a coach - who was bashed by many after the team didn't do as well as some thought it should, even though he got them back into the playoffs.
When Lutz steps down, then what? If Tiger fans are as impatient with another coach as they were with Coach T, the program will only sink that much faster.

I think Lutz will have an input as to who takes over for him and the fact that he will leave on his own terms will make fans alot happier than the way it happened the last time. I was fine with Coach Triplett he's a good coach, wish it had happened under different circumstances.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Time to head to Portsmouth.........

thesmokinglens
Freshman Team

Post by thesmokinglens »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:
thesmokinglens wrote:Thank you RiverRat Tiger. We're not trying to "hate on" Ironton... but it's ridiculous to belittle a school or team like that. It would be a good game for the community. And if nothing else, in the spirit of competition, don't you think it would give just another incentive to get out and bust it in the summer and work even harder knowing you're going to have a playoff atmosphere-type of game in the first couple of weeks?
---------------- DUDE, IF IT SEEMS LIKE I WAS BELITTLEING YOUR TEAM, I'M SORRY I WAS JUST GOING BY THE LAST 2 GAME SCORES. I'VE BEEN TO MANY OF THE GROVE /BURG OLE PLAYOFF GAMES OF THE PAST. SOME OF MY DEAREST FRIENDS ARE FROM COAL GROVE. ------- MOST PEOPLE KNOW I GOOF CONSTANTLY. AND I THINK , EVERYBODY KNOWS IT ON HERE. SOME PEOPLE TAKE MY COMMENTS WAYYYYYY TO SERIOUS. WHEN I'M JUST PLAYING LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, READ MY POSTS. GO TO IRONTON/PORTSMOUTH. THANKS.

That wasn't at you YTB. You definitely can't argue the past. My objection was more toward this comment: "The OVC schools cant and wont ever be able to compete with the Tigers."... made by tigercannon71... But you know, he can take that quote, mix up it with a can of crow, stick it on a shelf and eat it one day. :122249

tigerpride
Waterboy

Post by tigerpride »

Hey it would be great for the area, the fact is that Coal Grove or Rock Hill won't schedule Ironton.

cgllmom
Waterboy

Post by cgllmom »

I think it would be great if ironton and CG played in the "preview" game every year again. I always remember looking forward to it in high school. Smoking Lens, if you are saying that Coal Grove could have beat Ironton's football team in 97-98 or in 96-97 I would have to agree. I was in high school at ironton at the time and the team was pretty terrible. I really don't think it is fair to say that Ironton would definitely win. Anyone who watches any football knows it is a game that either team can win, regardless of record or even talent. Anyway, I am a Tiger turned Hornet so I guess I am in a bad position! :122249 :122249 :122249

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

bucking red wrote:Sp also was not very good those 2 years

Really? In 2001, I believe, South Point won the OVC with a 7-3 overall record and Ironton put up 50 or 60 on them.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

tigercannon71 wrote:#1 compare schedules Ironton went 6-3 got beat by Burg, Waterson, and Germantown Valley View. Mind you Ironton made the playoffs with and 8 game schedule. That tells you right there schedule is tougher. What was the Groves schedule that year the 5 OVC teams and who? East, New Boston, what other cupcakes did you guys play?

#2 Its Ironton. Coal Grove has never been able to compete with them. In all those years of scrimmages Ironton totally dominated every year.

You must have been watching a different scrimmage than me, every year the first teams looked about even, nothing ever happened until the reserves were put in.

thesmokinglens
Freshman Team

Post by thesmokinglens »

I'm sure Ironton was just "toying" around. Who doesn't... it's a scrimmage. Goes both ways. :122249

ohioguy
Waterboy

Post by ohioguy »

Every year this pain in the a$% thread comes up again and again.

thesmokinglens
Freshman Team

Post by thesmokinglens »

:lol: I agree... it should be canned. How about we all just wait until they actually DO play each other to start another thread. Can we get a pact on this? :?:

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

thesmokinglens wrote:
You're Tiger Bait wrote:
thesmokinglens wrote:Thank you RiverRat Tiger. We're not trying to "hate on" Ironton... but it's ridiculous to belittle a school or team like that. It would be a good game for the community. And if nothing else, in the spirit of competition, don't you think it would give just another incentive to get out and bust it in the summer and work even harder knowing you're going to have a playoff atmosphere-type of game in the first couple of weeks?
---------------- DUDE, IF IT SEEMS LIKE I WAS BELITTLEING YOUR TEAM, I'M SORRY I WAS JUST GOING BY THE LAST 2 GAME SCORES. I'VE BEEN TO MANY OF THE GROVE /BURG OLE PLAYOFF GAMES OF THE PAST. SOME OF MY DEAREST FRIENDS ARE FROM COAL GROVE. ------- MOST PEOPLE KNOW I GOOF CONSTANTLY. AND I THINK , EVERYBODY KNOWS IT ON HERE. SOME PEOPLE TAKE MY COMMENTS WAYYYYYY TO SERIOUS. WHEN I'M JUST PLAYING LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, READ MY POSTS. GO TO IRONTON/PORTSMOUTH. THANKS.

That wasn't at you YTB. You definitely can't argue the past. My objection was more toward this comment: "The OVC schools cant and wont ever be able to compete with the Tigers."... made by tigercannon71... But you know, he can take that quote, mix up it with a can of crow, stick it on a shelf and eat it one day. :122249

That'll NEEEEVVVVVEEEEERRRRR EEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR happen. Why? #1 those schools wont schedule Ironton only OVC school with the testicular fortitude to schedule Ironton, which you gotta give them credit for is South Point. Those other schools want no part of Ironton. #2 reason why because Ironton is just that much better than the OVC schools overall. Thats not an opinion thats a fact.

tigermack
Freshman Team

Post by tigermack »

tigercannon,

We are also MUCH better than the Canadian teams we play, but we still play them. I do wish they would schedule us..it would be a great gate.

Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

the future of ironton lies in the hands of the JR high coaches which are fielding great teams right now.

(coaches in training) to continue the lutz era!!!!! with modern playmakers!!!!!![/quote]

If that's the case, SP is in a world of hurting.

zebra77
Varsity

Post by zebra77 »

This topic should have never been posted since this game will never materialize, just a waste of screen space for a peeing contest.

thesmokinglens
Freshman Team

Post by thesmokinglens »

That'll NEEEEVVVVVEEEEERRRRR EEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR happen. Why? #1 those schools wont schedule Ironton only OVC school with the testicular fortitude to schedule Ironton, which you gotta give them credit for is South Point. Those other schools want no part of Ironton. #2 reason why because Ironton is just that much better than the OVC schools overall. Thats not an opinion thats a fact.

:roll: It's okay. I can recognize when someone stops speaking logic they are completely running on BS. I haven't heard any logic. If you can ever get documented proof of a CG coach or athletic director saying they're not gonna' play Ironton 'cause they're just too scared... well, I'd wanna' see it 'cause I just don't imagine that's the case...

Some people on this thread have actually been Ironton supporters AND debated this topic logically ALL AT THE SAME TIME :122246 -- why does that escape some others?

This topic should have never been posted since this game will never materialize, just a waste of screen space for a peeing contest.

And you can't exactly say NEVER on this either because the game DID materialize a couple of times in semi-recent history.

Anyway... now you have a chance to pop off without any more argument from me. If this had been a halfway intelligent debate, I'd think different. But I'm not posting anything else on this.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

zebra77 wrote:This topic should have never been posted since this game will never materialize, just a waste of screen space for a peeing contest.

got my vote on that one...................... :!:

Tigerpride..........I think you hit the nail on the head......... :!:

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

TigerMack wrote:tigercannon,

We are also MUCH better than the Canadian teams we play, but we still play them. I do wish they would schedule us..it would be a great gate.

Thats a different story scheduling the Canadian teams. Playing a team like that is a once in a while thing. Its cool for both the fans and players alike to get a chance to play a team from somewhere far away.

Return to “Football”