WEEK 9 ~ Marietta AT PORTSMOUTH

schenk11
All Conference

Re: WEEK 9 ~ Marietta AT PORTSMOUTH

Post by schenk11 »

Haven't seen Forrest Johnson's name for a while. Is he injured?

MariettaPride21
S

Post by MariettaPride21 »

heard he quit

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

He did. I hope he is playing basketball though. He is a big part of the Trojans puzzle.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I would love to see the Trojans put together 4 quarters of good offensive football.......our defense actually has played well for most of the year, but the offense simply has had trouble finding the end zone.........I know Marietta has a good passing attack, so the DB's on Portsmouth will have to be on their game, and the D lineman will have to put pressure on the Tiger QB.............

I will be there cheering the Men of Troy.......GO TROJANS!!!!

MariettaPride21
S

Post by MariettaPride21 »

should be a fun one
etta has a stronger defense compared to previous games

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

Marietta has more on the offensive side than just passing, Perry Wheeler is closing in on 1,000 yards rushing as well, with 14 touchdowns.

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

go Trojans!

VernonHowell
Waterboy

Post by VernonHowell »

Tigers can't handle Cadogan!

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

GO Trojans :!: :-D

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

This will be a very interesting game. I think Marietta has performed better to this point in the season, but it is a long bus ride to Portsmouth and the Trojans are going to be VERY hungry to get their first SEOAL win.

Marietta will need their "D" playing at a high level again like last week. The Tigers can still get to a very respectable 4-6 considering the tough non-league schedule they played.

Meanwhile, a win for the Trojans could turn things around and give them a shot at 3-7 with Western Brown coming week 10 in what could be a huge upset.

I'll take the 3 "Ws" (Westbrook, Wheeler, and Weppler) and the Tigers, but only if the defense rises to the challenge and contains the red and blue.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Tigers are due for a breakout game

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I think Portsmouth also qualifies for "due for a breakout game"...........

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

FalconFan wrote:
Axe N Shield wrote:My previous post was removed from this thread for some reason! ??? I will take Marietta in this one over the Trojans! Northwest and Portsmouth have the same record in our local area! That's kind of a interesting fact!

Key To The Game:
Trojan offense can not protect against Tigers defensive rush! If the Trojan protection of the qb can be adequate; then they may be able to outscore the Tigers and bring home a win! If not they may have to wait 9 months till next season to reach their next victory!

What you are saying is true. Portsmouth and Norworst have identical records but Portsmouth plays a much stonger schedule than Northwest. I would like to see any SOC I or II team play in the SEOAL. They wouldn't fair to well in my opinion. Even though Portsmouth is having a down year, I would still take them over EAST. But, we will never know who will win that game since East plays NO ONE!!!!!!

I guess you are right FalconFan; East plays NO ONE! Just like when the rest of the SEOAL plays Portsworst this year! Which is a stab at you for making the remark about Northwest! Which is really not a lie or untruth! Portsmouth is the "worst" team in the city! ND, Sciotoville, Portsmouth West all have better records than them! Enough on that!

I don't think your statement about SOC teams are correct either! I believe that Wheelersburg, West and Minford would fair better than Portsmouth against the SEOAL this year! With Portsmouth supposedly having two D1 lineman this year; you would think Portsmouth would be world beaters! I have seen them in practice and they are very impressive I will say! The whole team is huge and seem very well in tune at times! Portsmouth will win the SEOAL maybe once every 15 years! Because, every time they have a good team there will be someone in the SEOAL that is better! To put SOC I teams into that schedule is completely stupid and ignorant on anybody's part! Come-on! Is that the best you can do! "Oh, Yeah! Will come and play the teams we play!" You got to be kidding me, right! We never wanted in that league; you did! Now, take your butt whippings and leave the small schools alone; as far as the schedules! Will take care of our conference. Try and take care of yours! :122245

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Axe N Shield wrote:quote]

I guess you are right FalconFan; East plays NO ONE! Just like when the rest of the SEOAL plays Portsworst this year! Which is a stab at you for making the remark about Northwest! Which is really not a lie or untruth! Portsmouth is the "worst" team in the city! ND, Sciotoville, Portsmouth West all have better records than them! Enough on that!

I don't think your statement about SOC teams are correct either! I believe that Wheelersburg, West and Minford would fair better than Portsmouth against the SEOAL this year! With Portsmouth supposedly having two D1 lineman this year; you would think Portsmouth would be world beaters! I have seen them in practice and they are very impressive I will say! The whole team is huge and seem very well in tune at times! Portsmouth will win the SEOAL maybe once every 15 years! Because, every time they have a good team there will be someone in the SEOAL that is better! To put SOC I teams into that schedule is completely stupid and ignorant on anybody's part! Come-on! Is that the best you can do! "Oh, Yeah! Will come and play the teams we play!" You got to be kidding me, right! We never wanted in that league; you did! Now, take your butt whippings and leave the small schools alone; as far as the schedules! Will take care of our conference. Try and take care of yours! :122245

The Burg, and West many years may be able to compete in the SEOAL but would not fair much different than the Trojans have, however Minford has struggled to win the few SOC titles that they have. There is no way they could come close to competing in the SEOAL. This is the best team the Falcons have had in a while and they are looking at finishing 3rd in the SOC. The Trojans are down this year but they are not nearly as bad as their record looks.
The average enrollment in SOC2 is 202. PHS has an enrollment of 195. The SEOAL has an average enrollment excluding PHS of 353(and 373 without Ironton) it has been made clear that we are not welcome in the SOC and most likely never will be. I’m very happy with the SEOAL and competing at a higher level of competition each week. This has been a down year for the Trojans but they will be back. I would like to see how East would do if they had to compete against schools that double there size or bigger.
What is sad is that people want to get on here and bash PHS for getting into a league with larger schools in which each victory will be a hard fought battle, because of the size differential of the schools, yet they do not want the Trojans in the local league with schools of comparable size. The Trojans have been competitive in the SEOAL even though their record does not show it this year. PHS in the SEOAL is like taking one of the SOC 1 schools and having them play in SOC 2 with school twice their size or bigger. I don't believe they would fair very well. Do you?

I can't fault the SOC for not wanting to play the Trojans for championships (except for Burg and West who always play PHS.) Here are the results vs. the SOC since 2000.
2000 3-0 vs. Burg Waverly and Minford result PHS championship
2001 4-0 Vs Burg Minford West and Waverly result PHS championship
2002 3-0 Vs Burg Minford and West- result PHS championship
2003 2-1 vs. Minford West and Burg. PHS lost to Burg but Minford beat Burg- result PHS co-Champs
2004 2-1 vs. Burg Minford and West- Result Burg championship
20051-2 vs. Burg Minford and West- Result Burg championship
2006-0-2 vs. Burg and West Result Waverly Champs
2007 2-0 vs. Burg and West- Result PHS champs

PHS would have won 5 of the last 8 SOC titles and have a record of 17-6. I can't fault them for not wanting a team that would win 62% of the football Championships. It's rare when anyone other then the Burg wins one now. It is for these reasons PHS plays in the SEOAL and against quality d-3 and d-2 opponents, even though they are bordering on d-5. Yes it may make it hard for the Trojans to win a title, but it gives our boys a chance to compete. It is clear that we have a better shot at winning a title in the SEOAL then we do in the SOC, because they do not want any part of the Trojans on a yearly basis.
Also neither East nor Notre Dame would have a chance against the Trojans, this is not a shot at either program it is just a different level of play.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Dave, the grill will be full of hambergers again this week.

come on over when you get in town.

Axe N Shield
Varsity

Post by Axe N Shield »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:
Axe N Shield wrote:quote]

The Burg, and West many years may be able to compete in the SEOAL but would not fair much different than the Trojans have, however Minford has struggled to win the few SOC titles that they have. There is no way they could come close to competing in the SEOAL. This is the best team the Falcons have had in a while and they are looking at finishing 3rd in the SOC. The Trojans are down this year but they are not nearly as bad as their record looks.
The average enrollment in SOC2 is 202. PHS has an enrollment of 195. The SEOAL has an average enrollment excluding PHS of 353(and 373 without Ironton) it has been made clear that we are not welcome in the SOC and most likely never will be. I’m very happy with the SEOAL and competing at a higher level of competition each week. This has been a down year for the Trojans but they will be back. I would like to see how East would do if they had to compete against schools that double there size or bigger.
What is sad is that people want to get on here and bash PHS for getting into a league with larger schools in which each victory will be a hard fought battle, because of the size differential of the schools, yet they do not want the Trojans in the local league with schools of comparable size. The Trojans have been competitive in the SEOAL even though their record does not show it this year. PHS in the SEOAL is like taking one of the SOC 1 schools and having them play in SOC 2 with school twice their size or bigger. I don't believe they would fair very well. Do you?

I can't fault the SOC for not wanting to play the Trojans for championships (except for Burg and West who always play PHS.) Here are the results vs. the SOC since 2000.
2000 3-0 vs. Burg Waverly and Minford result PHS championship
2001 4-0 Vs Burg Minford West and Waverly result PHS championship
2002 3-0 Vs Burg Minford and West- result PHS championship
2003 2-1 vs. Minford West and Burg. PHS lost to Burg but Minford beat Burg- result PHS co-Champs
2004 2-1 vs. Burg Minford and West- Result Burg championship
20051-2 vs. Burg Minford and West- Result Burg championship
2006-0-2 vs. Burg and West Result Waverly Champs
2007 2-0 vs. Burg and West- Result PHS champs

PHS would have won 5 of the last 8 SOC titles and have a record of 17-6. I can't fault them for not wanting a team that would win 62% of the football Championships. It's rare when anyone other then the Burg wins one now. It is for these reasons PHS plays in the SEOAL and against quality d-3 and d-2 opponents, even though they are bordering on d-5. Yes it may make it hard for the Trojans to win a title, but it gives our boys a chance to compete. It is clear that we have a better shot at winning a title in the SEOAL then we do in the SOC, because they do not want any part of the Trojans on a yearly basis.
Also neither East nor Notre Dame would have a chance against the Trojans, this is not a shot at either program it is just a different level of play.

See! That's the problem! I did not at any time say East could play with Portsmouth! And, we do play some teams that are a division or two above us! But, back to the East vs. Portsmouth thing! The only people who ever say; East should play Portsmouth or their schedule, is Portsmouth! We play in our level of playing field and above in a few higher divisions!

As far as your enrollment goes! All I can say is maybe bring the "Academic Grade Card" up and hit more indicators than "attendance" and "graduation" and you might increase your enrollment numbers! I know that East or Sciotoville took alot of your enrollment down when they seperated from Portsmouth; but those 400 and some kids would never go to Portsmouth and play for the Trojans! I think we all know that! By their choice!

It could be a simple case of; you bit off more than you can chew! Or, you simply can't compete year-in and out with these schools and now it leaves a bad taste in your mouths! I think maybe this is the case! I know a few years ago Portsmouth had the largest enrollment in the county. Northwest had the largest geograghical district! That was when the entered the SEOAL; now that their enrollment is dropping it's starting to sting a little-bit! I think Portsmouth will continue to lose athletes to other schools in the next few years; athletics is your big card right now because the academics are at the bottom when considering all things! So more and more players will be wanting to go to Wheelersburg, West, Minford, Valley and we have had a few in Sciotoville too! Almost got a few more this year but, they went to West!

If it was up to me! I would never let Portsmouth in the SOC II for any reason! Not just because they might win a couple of championships; just because they think they are always the best and can do as they please! We should probably change the name of the two conferences to; Someone Other Than Portsmouth SOTP! Just my feelings! Nothing against the kids! Just how it is!

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

Axe N Shield wrote:
FalconFan wrote:
Axe N Shield wrote:My previous post was removed from this thread for some reason! ??? I will take Marietta in this one over the Trojans! Northwest and Portsmouth have the same record in our local area! That's kind of a interesting fact!

Key To The Game:
Trojan offense can not protect against Tigers defensive rush! If the Trojan protection of the qb can be adequate; then they may be able to outscore the Tigers and bring home a win! If not they may have to wait 9 months till next season to reach their next victory!

What you are saying is true. Portsmouth and Norworst have identical records but Portsmouth plays a much stonger schedule than Northwest. I would like to see any SOC I or II team play in the SEOAL. They wouldn't fair to well in my opinion. Even though Portsmouth is having a down year, I would still take them over EAST. But, we will never know who will win that game since East plays NO ONE!!!!!!

Look. Two D-1 lineman don't thrown the football. They don't catch and score touchdowns. And, they sure as hell can't block everyone on the d-line. And the only reason that East and Notre Dame have better records is because of strength of schedule. Grant it, talent is a key factor but, strength of schedule plays a role. Just because East and Notre Dame have better records than Portsmouth doesn't mean they are better. Also, you make it sound like Portsmouth should always be good at football. They have down years like every team does. Do you not remember that they went to the playoffs last year? Do you not recall them being State-Semi finalst 7 years ago??? How many times has East been to the State-Semifinals??? How many playoff apperances does East have compared to Portsmouth in just THIS decade??? And you are sick in the head if you think SOC II teams would fair well in the SEOAL. Enjoy the bad season this year. Because, like I have said before, Portsmouth will be back on top next year.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

And the only reason Portsmouth is not in the SOC is East and Eastern Pike,all schools must vote in favor

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

D-5 wrote:And the only reason Portsmouth is not in the SOC is East and Eastern Pike,all schools must vote in favor

WOW. If that is true that is really lame.

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

Axe N Shield wrote:See! That's the problem! I did not at any time say East could play with Portsmouth! And, we do play some teams that are a division or two above us! But, back to the East vs. Portsmouth thing! The only people who ever say; East should play Portsmouth or their schedule, is Portsmouth! We play in our level of playing field and above in a few higher divisions!

Sure looks to me like in the earlier post you said Portsmouth is the worst team in the city.
Axe N Shield wrote: Portsmouth is the "worst" team in the city! ND, Sciotoville, Portsmouth West all have better records than them! Enough on that!

If they are the worst and East and PHS are both in the city sure looks like you are saying that East could beat PHS.

Axe N Shield wrote:I know that East or Sciotoville took alot of your enrollment down when they seperated from Portsmouth; but those 400 and some kids would never go to Portsmouth and play for the Trojans! I think we all know that! By their choice!

I have no clue what you are talking about. East never took 400 kids away form PHS. I assume you are referring to the kids all ready at East that would have never been considered part of PHS so they have no relevance in this debate. The reason enrollment is down at PHS is because Portsmouth is not as big as it was 10 years ago, nor was it as big then as it was 20 years ago and so on. PHS is not the only school to see a loss of enrollment. West as late as 2006 was a division 4 school, Minford and Burg with also both d4 in 2000.

Axe N Shield wrote:As far as your enrollment goes! All I can say is maybe bring the "Academic Grade Card" up and hit more indicators than "attendance" and "graduation" and you might increase your enrollment numbers!
You may want to take into consideration the fact the PHS has to deal with things other local districts do not like the # of students from different racial and ethnic backgrounds, that the test are not always fairly written for, and the number of special needs kids that are in the district. With that being said anyone that attended PHS will tell you there are plenty of opportunities to get a great education there, for someone who wants one.

Axe N Shield wrote:It could be a simple case of; you bit off more than you can chew! Or, you simply can't compete year-in and out with these schools and now it leaves a bad taste in your mouths! I think maybe this is the case!

You are probably right the Trojans may have a hard time competing year in and year out but the SEOAL at least gives us a chance to compete. Since some SOC will not. It is just a shame that schools that would have no dealings with the Trojans if they were admitted into the league still vote against them due to some unprovoked hatred that they have. Why adults would want to punish kids in this manor is unknown to me.
Here is an example of what I’m talking about.
Axe N Shield wrote:If it was up to me! I would never let Portsmouth in the SOC II for any reason! Not just because they might win a couple of championships; just because they think they are always the best and can do as they please! We should probably change the name of the two conferences to; Someone Other Than Portsmouth SOTP! Just my feelings! Nothing against the kids! Just how it is

Return to “Football”