WK 10 Coal Grove vs. Fairland OVC Championship

Who wins the OVC?

Total votes: 0

earp
S

Re: WK 10 Coal Grove vs. Fairland OVC Championship

Post by earp »

Ya true I gloated a bit!And I am just happy for those kids!GO GREEN~ :mrgreen:I'm done lets move on to basketball! :mrgreen:

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

RedStorm I disagree...I don't think Coal Grove deserved to be the outright winner. Just because they lost the last week doesn't make them any better than SP or Fairland. I am sure all three teams are wishing they would have done something different in the OVC game they lost. Fairland lost a close one to South Point, and South Point lost only by one point to Coal Grove. I wasn't at the game last night between Fairland and Coal Grove but hearing the score alone it sounds like Fairland ran over the Grove. I haven't heard anyone say it was bad officiating or some sort of fluke either...the Dragons were just on top last night it seems. But between Coal Grove, South Point, and Fairland...each has lost a game to one of those teams and beaten one of those teams. Its definitely a true three way tie for the OVC and I am sure each of three teams wish they could have changed their one loss in conference play but ohhhh well, whats done is done. So I say congrats to the pointers, dragons, and hornets...especially the seniors from those schools!

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

earp wrote:Thats okay,I ate youre bowl of chili for ya!There was no crow in it though!Hey I have eaten that crow before too!Heck who knows Red might have killed a crow and put it in the chili,Or possible a possum or something! :lol:Coach Snyder made a great point after the game though,He said it appeared that Coal Groves backs seemed to be running not to make a mistake and just hang on to the ball and not making downhill runs like Coal Grove is known for!So I am curious about this Fuzz,With you guys down 35-6 why did you guys line up in the Maryland I?That doesn't seem to me like a very solid "come from 28 points down"type of move?Just curious about youre thoughts on that.

Hey now guys go easy on me! All I said that CG would score more than 2 TDs... I also said Fairland would too so I was half-right! 8)
Yeah, Coal Grove seemed tenative rushing, but how many fumbles did they have in the 1st half alone?
Earp, I really can't tell you what the idea was surrounding that. I'm not going to get on here and dis a coach, especially Coach Lucas, or question his decisions. But if you'll remember, last year was no different.

RedStormRising
Riding the Bench

Post by RedStormRising »

buckeye221 wrote:RedStorm I disagree...I don't think Coal Grove deserved to be the outright winner.

I didnt say they did. i was saying the opposite. on paper Coal Grove should have been able to win it outright but choked and did not. you are right and i agree they dont deserve it.

earp
S

Post by earp »

Hey Fuzz I understand youre respect for Coach Lucas,I mean look at the whole body of work there!I was just curious about that,I have great respect for the man too as well as several of his assistants! ;-) I will say that it is always alot of fun beating you guys though! ;-) I am also curious about this as well,Do you think with you guys playing on turf now alot of the time had a bearing on this game?Because we seemed to adapt to the conditions much better IMO?

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I was against the move from grass to turf from the very start.
Traditionally, Coal Grove plays better in the rain and the mud and the slop but I think we saw last night that that advantage is long-gone....
IMO, switching to grass was at least partially a "keeping-up-with-the-neighbors" thing.
To me, artificial turf just takes away from the game.

thesmokinglens
Freshman Team

Post by thesmokinglens »

just posted some photos from this game in the photos of the week:

www.tristatesportspage.com

OVCfan32
Freshman Team

Post by OVCfan32 »

haha duh. . cg has always had problems with the keeping the dragons out of the endzone the past 5 years pretty much

I think this is good for the OVC. . .3 way tie. .haha

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

I forgot to mention that this was the 80th year of Coal Grove Football.
Well over a fourth of those years (including this one) have ended in an OVC Championship. If you include LCFL Championships (11), 35 out of 80 years have ended with the Hornets getting at least a share of their conference or league title. That's 43.75%. That also means that the Hornets are winning a title every 2.3 years, approximately.
While Coal Grove is considered by most to be a kind of "Little Brother" of Ironton in Lawrence County Football, the Hornets have a very nice tradition of their own.

JUSTANOTHERBUCKEYE
Waterboy

Post by JUSTANOTHERBUCKEYE »

CONGRATS TO ALL THREE SCHOOLS AND SENIORS. DO HAVE A COMMENT. ANYONE CATCH THE STATEMENT THE ANNOUNCER MADE JUST BEFORE THE END OF THE GAME? THAT BEING ABOUT "HEARING THE FAT LADY SING?"

SORRY. THAT WAS JUST NOT FUNNY AND REALLY UNCALLED FOR. HE ALSO MADE SOUND LIKE FAIRLAND WON IT ALL OUT-RIGHT. TOOK HIM LONG ENOUGH TO ANNOUNCE THAT SOUTH POINT (AND COAL GROVE) HAD A SHARE.

JUST ANNOUNCE THE GAME. I REALIZE IT WAS AT FAIRLAND BUT HEY, SOUTH POINT AND COAL GROVE HAD TO PLAY THE GAME TO GET THERE TOO! I'M JUST SAYIN'....

dragonsfan24
JV Team

Post by dragonsfan24 »

fuzzhead wrote:I forgot to mention that this was the 80th year of Coal Grove Football.

hold up fuzz, Fairland has only been around since 1949, and didn't join the OVC until like 1957, so unless you're counting the Rome/Proctorville v. Coal Grove games as being Fairland game, this would only be like 50th meeting between The Land and The Grove.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Fairland had nothing to do with that post. Coal Grove's first season of football was in 1928.

Coal Grove leads the all-time series with Fairland, 38-20-0. The first game in the series was in 1949.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

JUSTANOTHERBUCKEYE wrote:CONGRATS TO ALL THREE SCHOOLS AND SENIORS. DO HAVE A COMMENT. ANYONE CATCH THE STATEMENT THE ANNOUNCER MADE JUST BEFORE THE END OF THE GAME? THAT BEING ABOUT "HEARING THE FAT LADY SING?"

SORRY. THAT WAS JUST NOT FUNNY AND REALLY UNCALLED FOR. HE ALSO MADE SOUND LIKE FAIRLAND WON IT ALL OUT-RIGHT. TOOK HIM LONG ENOUGH TO ANNOUNCE THAT SOUTH POINT (AND COAL GROVE) HAD A SHARE.

JUST ANNOUNCE THE GAME. I REALIZE IT WAS AT FAIRLAND BUT HEY, SOUTH POINT AND COAL GROVE HAD TO PLAY THE GAME TO GET THERE TOO! I'M JUST SAYIN'....

I also found the announcer very biased toward South Point when we played up there. Ryan Plants was tackeled for a loss and his comment was something along the lines of "Plants was planted on that play for a loss" there were numerous others comments that were unacceptable as well. He needs to take some lessons from the Point Pleasant announcer who showed no bias at all and even commented when the home or visiting team had a good run. He was praising both sides of the ball. He was the best I have ever heard!

Anyway congrats to Fairland, Coal Grove and South Point on the OVC Championship. I think they however need to go to a format of breaking the ties with points for and against to settle the ties. This year it would be Fairland, SP CG.

catch22
Riding the Bench

Post by catch22 »

hey fuzz, CG might be up in the all time series but the only game that matters right now is the one LAST FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SportsMom
Freshman Team

Post by SportsMom »

NONE OF CG PLAYERS GOT OUT OF THE WAY FOR FAIRLANDS RB!!!! AS FOR # 9---HE TOOK ON THE BIG RB AND STOPPED HIM !!!!! SO HE HAS NOTHING TO BE EMBARRASSED ABOUT!!!! MAKE SURE OF THE FACTS BEFORE YOU PUT NUMBERS ON HERE !!!!!!!!!
CG GOT A PIECE OF THE OVC---SO HOLD YOUR HEADS UP BOYS!!!!!!

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

catch22 wrote:hey fuzz, CG might be up in the all time series but the only game that matters right now is the one LAST FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey 22: I wasn't trying to bring up Coal Grove's domination of Fairland over the years. All I was doing was responding to Dragonfan24's post. I guess he thought I was calling this the 80th meeting of the two teams (which I wasn't). I just posted the all-time series to show that I knew it wasn't the 80th meeting.
This is CG's 80th year of football, not the 80th meeting of CG and Fairland.
Don't mistake me for someone who brings up the past to make up for the present - it's not my game, dog. 8)

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Hey fuzz I noticed CG ran 90% of their plays to their sideline or up the middle is that typical? I also would like to know if you think we are better than SP? Just curious and would like a unbiased opinion.

cghornet10
JV Team

Post by cghornet10 »

JUSTANOTHERBUCKEYE wrote:CONGRATS TO ALL THREE SCHOOLS AND SENIORS. DO HAVE A COMMENT. ANYONE CATCH THE STATEMENT THE ANNOUNCER MADE JUST BEFORE THE END OF THE GAME? THAT BEING ABOUT "HEARING THE FAT LADY SING?"

SORRY. THAT WAS JUST NOT FUNNY AND REALLY UNCALLED FOR. HE ALSO MADE SOUND LIKE FAIRLAND WON IT ALL OUT-RIGHT. TOOK HIM LONG ENOUGH TO ANNOUNCE THAT SOUTH POINT (AND COAL GROVE) HAD A SHARE..

Well everyone already knows that Fairland never shows any class..

cghornet10
JV Team

Post by cghornet10 »

..and not to mention the onside kick at the end :roll:

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

CG10 first off it was a miss kick by a kid who never has kicked before not an onside kick. Secondly which team had a kid kicked out now that is class. I know when I think of class Cg always comes to mind. :roll:

Return to “Football”