Game of Week #3 West vs. #2 Wheelersburg SOC Championship

Who wins the SOC 2

Total votes: 0

Westfan
SEOP

Re: Game of Week #3 West vs. #2 Wheelersburg SOC Championship

Post by Westfan »

West doesn't need to pass to be effective, Burg does. wheelersburg will need to pass or those 2 safeties for West (maybe our 2 best players) will keep creeping closer and closer to the LOS. If Burg doesn't show a diverse attack, West will shut them down.

Burg's D is naturally agressive. They move their front, shoot the gaps and go for the big play. West runs the counters very well. I look for them to be real effective at an overpursuing Burg D. In the past, Burg has been able to key on 1 back. That is not the game now. All 4 of these kids can burn you.

burgboy
Freshman Team

Post by burgboy »

Who is the x-factor for the Burg in this game?

Good Luck to the Burg and bring home #28 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go Burg

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

burgboy wrote:Who is the x-factor for the Burg in this game?

Good Luck to the Burg and bring home #28 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go Burg

I believe it is their kicker...but he stinks ;-)

But seriously though...if this game gets close really late in the game then it could come down to Field Goals and Extra Points...you never know

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West has a good kicking game also. Morgan is accurate and has a good leg out to 40-45 yards. Swords hasn't had to punt much this year and coach has him punt out of bounds alot so his average I'm sure isn't as good. Last year he and Roback led the area in punting.

1fan
Freshman Team

Post by 1fan »

I can't imagine where they will put all these ppl! I heard the presale tickets were huge numbers!!
Good Luck West....Bring it home!!

The Riepo Man
All Conference

Post by The Riepo Man »

siderman wrote:West has a good kicking game also. Morgan is accurate and has a good leg out to 40-45 yards. Swords hasn't had to punt much this year and coach has him punt out of bounds alot so his average I'm sure isn't as good. Last year he and Roback led the area in punting.

Its all good about Swords though...Punting average isn't the best thing to gloat about :lol: He should stick to running people over

sofa king we todd it
Waterboy

Post by sofa king we todd it »

Weather will effect this game. This gives the advantage to West, as long as they can contain two things. The first is the corners. If Burg gets wide it's a touch down. West will not be able to catch their speed.

The second thing they must contain is their emotions. If Burg gets in their head, I believe West will lose control and start making some of the bad decisions they have made in the past - mouthing officials, swinging at other players, etc... I'd say West's emotions will give the more disciplined Burg team the win. West will get frustrated over some calls, and the gloves will come off and the yellow laundry will litter the field.

Fans will also influence West's emotions. So if Burg fans get loud and show their presence throughout the game, it will change the home field advantage.

West has to dominate the line on both sides of the ball. They have the ability, but will they? I don't think Burg will be able to run it up the middle and gain much. There may be one or two break out runs, but not likely, as long as West wraps up on the tackles - wet, muddy jerseys tend to get slick, along with cold wet hands=missed tackles.

We will know the winner by haltime. It will either be a blowout, or it will be close. If its close, Burg is your SOC champ. If West gets with it, controls those emotions, it can be a blow out by halftime - West is the SOC champ

One other thought: Arthritis in the joints of those older West players may be a factor. The 17 and 18 year olds at Burg have no idea the pains that 20 year olds feel :lol:

DeltaFire
Waterboy

Post by DeltaFire »

sofa king we todd it wrote:Fans will also influence West's emotions. So if Burg fans get loud and show their presence throughout the game, it will change the home field advantage.

One other thought: Arthritis in the joints of those older West players may be a factor. The 17 and 18 year olds at Burg have no idea the pains that 20 year olds feel :lol:

First off, West fans are going to make their presence known. With Sid Stagg's Train Horn, the Blackout, a MASSIVE amount of student tickets have already been bought (rumors have gone up to 1,000. I believe around 500.), I know for a fact that 144 airhorns were bought from Hobby Lobby by a West parent, and those are being given out to the fans, and I also know another dozen or more were ordered by another parent, they will easily out-do anything the Burg fans can try. If anyone remembers the Portsmouth-West game from 3 years ago I believe, West fans filled Portsmouth's visitor bleachers, went all the way around the fence on the inside of the track, and filled 1/4 of the Portsmouth bleachers. Burg cannot compare to West when it comes to fans, especially in a rivalry game such as this, when both teams are 9-0.

Second, your idea of this quote, "The 17 and 18 year olds at Burg have no idea the pains that 20 year olds feel", is completely ridiculous. West has the second hardest ciriculum in the area, behind Burg, otherwise, West would not have earned an "Excellent" ranking. To my knowledge, in the past 4 years, while I was at West, there was only 2 student ever to graduate at 20+ years old, one dropped out for over a year, and was held back in elementary, which made him 20, and the other didn't do work at all, and failed 2 years of high school. Most West students are intelligent, including the football players.

siderman01
Waterboy

Post by siderman01 »

best of luck to both teams GO WEST 28-7

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

Is it raining in West Portsmouth right now?

1fan
Freshman Team

Post by 1fan »

OMG 144 air horns, train horn, and all the big horns....RMFLMAO!!!!
the rock will be rocking....lol

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

From the look of the radar this rain may move through really fast and we may get lucky and it may not be raining during the game. The inch or so it puts down before the game will make for a very muddy field though and I think that plays into Wests power game. Hopefully the Pirates can keep their footing and make some cuts so those fast backs can get some yardage. If not I see West just pounding the middle all night long and getting 3 or 4 yards a pop to control the clock and the tempo.

Good luck Pirates!!!

1fan
Freshman Team

Post by 1fan »

I hope you r right! Nothing worse than sitting in the rain. Plus all the ppl, would be great if it quits!!

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

Burg Grad I hope you are right, but I think all of that will be there better wear a rain suite cuz' I don't see it being anywhere near dry tonight!!!

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.ph ... 1&loop=yes

fanatic23
Freshman Team

Post by fanatic23 »

i have one question how many burg fans are going to blame it on the rain.
the way i look at it west is a better team if you go making excuses it's just going to make you sound like minford fans.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Gonna be a slick track. The field was in great shape, but this much constant rain will make for a good ole' mud bowl after a while. Need to take care of that football.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Will this game be on ESPN? I'd love to watch it down here in Texas! :lol:

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

just under three hours till kick off and it's gonna be fun. rain+grass=fun football. how many straight years have the burg and west played in the rain? i know it's at least 2 of the last 3 because the last time it was played at west it rained. this should be a good game. GO BURG!!!!!!

bring home number 28

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

sofa king--- HILARIOUS !!!!!! the name and the comments !

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

fanatic23 wrote:i have one question how many burg fans are going to blame it on the rain.
the way i look at it west is a better team if you go making excuses it's just going to make you sound like minford fans.

I'm going to blame it on the rain if West wins, but the rain does play right into Wests power football. It also make it hard to hold on to the ball, so maybe some vicious hits by the Pirates will cause some TO's.

Good luck to both teams and let's hope no one gets injured so both can go into the playoffs at full strentgh. I truly believe one of these teams will win Region 19 and possibly vie for the state title.

Return to “Football”