2009 Warren Football

air4ce1
Freshman Team

Re: 2009 Warren Football

Post by air4ce1 »

Here, let me answer the question as to why venham would be the tight end right now. He's the best person for the job. He is big, strong, can catch, and is football smart. And don't tell me that SE don't block. If you have that mindset its no wonder warren has no offense. If the SE's aren't doing their job of crack back blocks and trying to seal people inside then I suggust you hang up the gear now. Venham does not have to always be at TE. If warren, god forbid, decided to spread out the field in a gun spread look or something of that sort, he could be used as a SE. I also see him as the main P/K returner as well.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

I think he'd be a great threat as a returner.

Warren has no offense, air4ce1. They won games 14-7 and 9-7 last year and they scored 7 points or less in all of their final 3 games (against superb competition for three quarters, but, still).

westbrook18
All State

Post by westbrook18 »

What will the quarterback situation look like? As good as any freshman may be, I don't think you can rely on them to provide depth at the quarterback position.

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

Post by warriorfootballer »

blah
Last edited by warriorfootballer on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warriiorfan
Freshman Team

Post by warriiorfan »

first of all - I have been around the athletes and coaches of the football and basketball programs several years and in the past 2 years I have never heard a complaint from any of the coaches about #1's coachability, respectfulness, nor attitude... so saying that he would not play 'knowing him' would not be very accurate at all... this is where misperceptions are created...

next, #1 has shown great composure in my opinion, If I were him and had countless mismatches yet next to never used, I would have an attitude towards coaches!

finally, ask Belpre's 4-5 defenders who tried to tackle him on 3rd and 17 when he caught a curl route @ 7 yards and carried them the final 10 yards to pick up the critical first down how physical he is... anyone see him return punts... physical? are you kidding me? guess you haven't been around the program, or seen this group of kids growing up.... as a 7th grader he was running over 8th graders out of the tailback position...

p.s. knowing #1, his older brothers, his parents, and family... he will play where he is told without a negative attitude! or they would take care of him... a breath of fresh air if you ask me - holding their son/brother accountable... you should sit near them at a game... constantly critiquing his game...(in love of course)

p.s.s sorry - but I have 'caught' #1 several times interacting and treating younger kids with great compassion when he didn't know anyone was looking... he is a great kid, not perfect... I just couldn't sit back and allow someone to tarnish his rep with hear-say...

p.s.s.s. sometimes jealous ocurs from both peers and their parents when one stands out on many stages... but as I said I have been around both programs for several years and remember a few years back seeing this skinny, lanky 7th grader show up over and over and over in the weightroom... some people make it look easy, but dont be fooled...

p.s.s.s.s. GO WARRIORS! you better be in the weight room!!! :-D

floridabigdog
Waterboy

Post by floridabigdog »

Nice post warriiorfan, I am glad someone knows what they are talking about. #1 WILL DO what is good for the program, despite what others think!

floridabigdog
Waterboy

Post by floridabigdog »

darKnight wrote:Venham couldnt play running back. He's not physical enough.

What's up with the seniors suddenly pouring in as soon as the team starts to improve? Good to hear that Warren is still capable of getting its best athletes out for sports, but does anyone actually think these two new seniors will stick with it?

By the way, ask Ferguson (RB) from South if #1 (Venham) is physical enough.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

For what it's worth I don't think warriorfootballer really meant his post to mean what it ended up meaning (which everyone knows is not true). I'm very sure that he and Grant Venham are friends. You gotta be careful to not let your typing get away from you . . .

Hopefully Grant will get to demonstrate his talents more appropriately this year. When he gets the ball in space he makes things happen. D-backs do not match-up well with him at all and he can make some serious yards after the catch. Let's face it, our passing game did not take advantage of the talent that it had last year. Hopefully we'll see some real effort put into this facet of the game during the summer, and then let's hope we see an adjustment in the play calling philosophy.

Warren could have a very balanced, effective offensive attack next year. During the off-season prior to last season everyone (coaches) said that we would be spreading things out a bit more. It didn't end up happening but, in my opinion, should have. Warren was effective when it spread things out one or two times in '08 (remember the end of the Marietta game?). We can only hope that it will happen more next season.

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Post by coal miner's son »

Anyone who knows a little football knows that an effective offense is a balanced offense. Run sets up the pass and the pass sets up the run. Then you run when they think you're going to pass and pass when they think you're going to run. Waaaaaaay to many 3rd and long's. Not too many plays designed to convert a 3rd and 12/13.

Defense will get even better if the offense gets better.

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

blah
Last edited by warriorfootballer on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blarge
Riding the Bench

Post by blarge »

There were very few, if any individual stats published in the Times last year.
Does anyone know the catches / yds for Cox, Hoon, and Venham on the season?

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Venham 9 catches for 195 yards, 1 TD, 21.7 yds per catch
Dunfee 9 catches for 162 yards, 1 TD, 18 yards per catch
Wellspring 7 catches for 60 yards, 8.6 yards per catch
Coffman 6 catches for 81 yards, 1 TD, 13.5 yards per catch
Cox 5 catches for 110 yards, 22 yards per catch
Hoon 4 catches for 11 yards, 2.8 yards per catch
Wolfe 3 catches for 64 yards, 21.3 per catch
Yocum 2 catches for 19 yards, 9.5 yards per catch
Pritt 1 catch for 19 yards, 19 yards per catch.

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

blah
Last edited by warriorfootballer on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floridabigdog
Waterboy

Post by floridabigdog »

Sounds like a busy summer for the skill players is in order. Hopefully, a lot of boys participate in summer work outs.

warriorfootballer
Riding the Bench

blah

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

I heard Nick White is taking over as OC this year and implementing more of a west coast style offense.

floridabigdog
Waterboy

Post by floridabigdog »

I'm sorry, but who is Nick White?

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

Yeah. Who the h@%* is Nick White?

runhallerun
Freshman Team

Post by runhallerun »

Nick White could quite possibly be one of the most brilliant football minds in the valley!

coal miner's son
Freshman Team

That may very well be true, but who is he?

Return to “Football”