SEOAL All-League Honors

ironman02
SEOP

Re: SEOAL All-League Honors

Post by ironman02 »

Yeah, it does make sense if the "rule" is followed. However, some of the local newspapers break this "rule" every year, which makes it pointless. I can understand word of mouth leaking the information, but having the team printed for the entire public to see completely goes against the league's policy. It has become inevitable that the team will be known before it should be, so why not just go ahead and release it?

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

I think the misconception is the rule itself.

The rule is not "until every team is eliminated."

The information was embargoed until today. It also appears in the Logan Daily News. The information was released late last week to the area media and embargoed until today.

All newspapers are free to print the information starting today.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Someone please take a moment and provide a link or cut/paste the list. Thanks!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I was going to put the list on here --but after last year-when it was taken upon by one person to delete the post (without checking things out) I'm not.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

In the early days of the Southeastern Ohio League Sportswriters and Radio Broadcasters Association and before state playoffs became a reality, and arrival of the internet, the major reason the list was withheld from publication or broadcast was the old eight-team league had several weeklies--Nelsonville Tribune, Wellston Telegram, Jackson Herald (tri-weekly) Pomeroy Sentinel (went daily in 1948) and Gallia Times (replaced by the Sunday Times-Sentinel in 1967).

The SEOSWA was organized in the fall of 1948 (before local radio stations were established in the area).

As far as I know, only one person--Bob Willis, 80, Wellston, retired banker and former Jackson County Commissioner) is the only surviving member and I believe charter member of that now defunct organization.

Willis wrote for the Wellston Telegram, and still has a morning program on (I believe) WKOV radio.

When Jottings became a member of the association in the fall of 1953, members were Jack Gilbert/Perish Rohr, Athens Messenger, Max Linton/John Ward, Nelsonville Tribune, Bob Roberts/Chet Tannehill, Pomeroy-Middleport Sentinel, Homer Alley/Jim Porter, Gallipolis Tribune, Leon (Pappy) Tucker/Jim Myers, Logan Daily News, Ed Clark, Jackson Herald, Bob Willis, Wellston Telegram, Bill Thomas, (league founder) and John Weber, Wellston Sentinel.

I believe local radio stations joined the association in 1953...Willard Fitzpatrick, Jackson, Bob Wilis, Wellston, and Bill Watterson, Gallipolis.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

LoganLocos wrote:I think the misconception is the rule itself.

The rule is not "until every team is eliminated."

The information was embargoed until today. It also appears in the Logan Daily News. The information was released late last week to the area media and embargoed until today.

All newspapers are free to print the information starting today.

Well, then it all makes sense then. Thanks for clearing that up. I should have known that in the first place since you told me that previously...my mistake.

Wasn't that the rule in the past though? I thought I remembered it being that way before.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

To be honest, I think the fact that USUALLY the league is done after the first week of the playoffs so I think that most people have come to believe that the end of the road for all league teams is the release date.

I think it is generally the Tuesday following week 1 of the playoffs (as most all-league teams around the state seem to be).

BigBlueinsider
Riding the Bench

Post by BigBlueinsider »

so noone can post the link or some other way for us to find out?

bluebird1756
Waterboy

Post by bluebird1756 »

WBEX 1490 Chillicothe has it on their website

http://www.wbex.com/cc-common/news/sect ... ticle.html

BigBlueinsider
Riding the Bench

Post by BigBlueinsider »

thank you blue bird

bluebird1756
Waterboy

Post by bluebird1756 »

no problem :122245

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Like LoganLocos said, the media was given the go-ahead for today (11/4) to run the all-league list. It's in today's Times-Journal as well. It was embargoed for release today.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Once again, I apologize for getting this whole debate started. Locos had told me that the team would be released today, but I completely forgot about that. I was thinking along the lines of others on here with respect to the rule about waiting until all league teams have finished their season. I think Locos made a good point in the fact that SEOAL teams haven't faired very well in the playoffs, which made it seem as though the release date coincided with the end of everyone's season.

Congrats to Jackson's Cody Huff, Ryan Hughes, Lukas Lindamood, and Josh Brown as well as all players from each of the teams represented.

Really glad to see Cody Huff get this honor despite missing a large portion of SEOAL play due to an injury. His performance in the first three league games shows that he was definitely one of the league's best players.

Week 4 - Portsmouth

28 carries for 188 yards and 2 TDs

Week 5 - Gallia Academy

22 carries for 179 yards and 1 TD plus an 85 yard INT return for a TD

Week 6 - Marietta

21 carries for 126 yards and 1 TD

71 carries for 493 yards and 5 total TDs in three SEOAL games. Would have really liked to see what type of numbers he could have ended up with had he stayed healthy.

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

Daniels from GA !!!If them all league picks are right!!! All I can say is you got to be kidding me!!!But remember they got to keep the right ones happy :roll: :arrow:

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

OH BOY :oops: NO NIBERT :arrow:

schenk11
All Conference

Post by schenk11 »

At the all-league meeting, coaches can't vote for their own kids.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Gallia Academy had Gravely, Whaley, and Kyger on the first team. Nibert and Allison were Honorable Mention.

http://www.wbex.com/cc-common/news/sect ... le=4519405

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

While coaches can not vote for their own players, don't the coaches put up the names of their own players who they would like to be considered for the honors?

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

something needs to be done not fair. i am not gonna mention a name but noway deserving of all league over two other players no way :shock:

PeterVincent
Waterboy

Post by PeterVincent »

lots of coaches like to reward kids who have been faithful to the program by putting them up for all-league and all-district in their last years.

many a good junior has missed being all-league or district because his coach thought that a senior had earned the right to be all-whatever because he had played four years.

and many a good lineman has missed being honored because everybody puts up their QB, RB and best LB for consideration.

Return to “Football”