Week 3: Valley (2-0) vs. Coal Grove (1-1)

socchamps1011
Waterboy

Week 3: Valley (2-0) vs. Coal Grove (1-1)

Post by socchamps1011 »

Thoughts?? After coal grove took one on the chin in athens ill say they will come to play, but valley is too much for the hornets... I'm sayin valley rolls...

ovc fan
Varsity

Re: Week 3: Valley (2-0) vs. Coal Grove (1-1)

Post by ovc fan »

Valley 42 CG 14

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

Coal Grove has good size and decent athletes, they just came to Athens and found a good team that was extra motivated and weren't able to get anyting going. CG willwin a fair number of games this season I'm sure. I won't make a prediction on this game as I don't know much about Valley, I'm just saying don't run CG down a bunch for the loss at Athens they look to be a pretty good team despite the score.

A-Town Big Dog
S

Post by A-Town Big Dog »

A-Town Big Dog wrote:Coal Grove has good size and decent athletes, they just came to Athens and found a good team that was extra motivated and weren't able to get anything going. CG will win a fair number of games this season I'm sure. I won't make a prediction on this game as I don't know much about Valley, I'm just saying don't run CG down a bunch for the loss at Athens they look to be a pretty good team despite the score.

socchamps1011
Waterboy

Post by socchamps1011 »

How has coal grove's defense looked?? Haven't heard much about them...

Aloudharley
Riding the Bench

Post by Aloudharley »

This is always a good game and will not be different this year, Coal Grove is at home so that's two touchdown's. However, I will pick Valley in a hard fought contest!

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

valley, but should be a good game.

Blue_nd_Gray
JV Team

Post by Blue_nd_Gray »

I think his will be a good game, i watched CG play Meigs on tv and athens in person.
I don't think valley has anyone close to Sharp the athens back well no one does.
Cg isn't as big as normal but have players.
I think Valley 21 CG 18 no way its a blow out.

Bo_Diaz
JV Team

Post by Bo_Diaz »

Blue_nd_Gray wrote:I think his will be a good game, i watched CG play Meigs on tv and athens in person.
I don't think valley has anyone close to Sharp the athens back well no one does.
Cg isn't as big as normal but have players.
I think Valley 21 CG 18 no way its a blow out.
I haven't seen the Sharp kid play but I'd take my chances that Keller and Yates are in that class and probably better. Keller has went over 200 yards of offense in both games so far and Yates has 5 rushes for 4 TDs this year to go along with the numbers he's put up with his arm. Valley took it to CG last season and I can't imagine CG having the speed to keep up with Valley's skill kids. I do believe CG will be able to run the ball some against the Indians but I don't see any way they'll score enough to be in the game.

Valley 42
CG 20

jungle cat
Freshman Team

Post by jungle cat »

Same old Coal Grove, Luas nevers changes, Valley in Blow Out.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

jungle cat wrote:Same old Coal Grove, Luas nevers changes, Valley in Blow Out.

Agreed. Valley will load the box, force CG to throw the ball, Yates will pick them off.

I will say close game at the half (Valley up 10-14), then it gets ugly the second half.

Valley 42
Coal Grove 13

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

Yates has great stats and they havnt even called a run play for him yet... All his rushes are from him scrambling... Rolfe has played it safe with Blake on the play calling trying to help him get back to 100%. look for Rolfe to open the play book up a little more this week causing the Indians offense to be even more explosive.

socchamps1011
Waterboy

Post by socchamps1011 »

If coal grove is as one-dementional as they usually are i believe valley can load the box, and shut down the running game.

Native Blood
JV Team

Post by Native Blood »

socchamps1011 wrote:If coal grove is as one-dementional as they usually are i believe valley can load the box, and shut down the running game.
After seeing valley last week and cg the week before, I gotta go with valley by at least 2 tds maybe more if they get fired up. They have great speed and their D-line looks good fires off the ball.

Aloudharley
Riding the Bench

Post by Aloudharley »

I agree that Rolfe has not opened the play book. If Coal grove focuses on shutting Down Keller and try to keep Yates in the pocket look for the cover to come off the play book! Yates has a full arsenal of skill players to target and a darn good Offensive line that can and will get down field to block. Valley 48 coal Grove 14!

Agentsmith
Riding the Bench

Post by Agentsmith »

Is this the Valley team that finally goes undefeated regular season? Im an older Valley Alumni trying to keep up with them from afar.

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

although a very talented team that has potential to do just that, going through soc II undefeated is pretty tough.

crab_apple4
JV Team

Post by crab_apple4 »

Luke and Blake looked extremely explosive last night. Luke's size and speed combination is pretty rare for this area, and his ability to catch the football makes him a threat all over the field. Throw in Blake's ability to put the ball on the money and extend plays with his legs and those two are tough to stop. They were also all over the field on D make plays on the ball and putting some huge hits on the Coal Grove players. You also have to give Valley's O-line a ton of credit for opening some big holes and keeping the Hornets off of Blake when he went back to pass. I'd like to see a little more consistency from the D, but they make plays when it counts. Nice win last night, but Chesapeake will be tough matchup next Friday.

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

The offense looked good in the first half but I'm really worried about the defense. I believe the Indians will struggle with teams that can throw the ball well... They just don't have a shut down corner that can fill on the run like the corners they have had the past few years and Yates can't be everywhere at once. Part of the Indians problem is coaching, you can blitz everyone and leave inexperienced corners one-on-one. I know crabtree is a great coach so hopefully they were trying something different last night to get an idea of what all they can do later on. Hopefully they will pick it up as the season goes.

Return to “Football”