HEY SIDERS WHICH OF THESE WAS THE BEST TEAM?

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

HEY SIDERS WHICH OF THESE WAS THE BEST TEAM?

Post by NICKNEVADA »

A.90-91, 10-0
B.STATE RUNNERS UP
C.08 TEAM

I watched almost every game of the runner up team and they were good and got hot at the right time. This year's team is nasty and still has more wins in them, but my last game in high school was against the 90-91 team and Howell to Book and company was like playing Brady and Moss. My best friend was all state cb and he got lit up! I'll go with 90-91, opinions?

Westsider1993
JV Team

Re: HEY SIDERS WHICH OF THESE WAS THE BEST TEAM?

Post by Westsider1993 »

I played defense for the 90 Team. First off let me give some props for the 02' and the 08' teams. The 02' Team was loaded with athletes, but didn't always play as a Team, They were and A team with a B coach.. ( See Greenup County record). The 08' Team has several athletes and what appears to be a really good coach. I think they have not even reached there full potential yet. If this Team had the fire that the 90' Team had I would say that they are the better of the Teams. I will say that the 3HM is by far the best "group" of backs to ever come out of West and possibly Scioto County. Before all of the haters start I know there has been "a" better back here and there, but I am talking about a group. Most of the old offenses ran the I or divide. This 08' Team gets it done week in and week out. I hate to say this, but I think the level of competition on the year is down quite a bit... Sorry sports fans. But it is true. Lets start with Portsmouth.... they stunk it up. Waverly... How long has it been since they were that bad? Minford has a good team, burg has a good team, but not great teams. As far as SP and Fairland, typical. I hope that their coach brings them alive for the week(s) to come or the playoff run will come to an abrupt hault. I AM biased I believe that the 90' Team is still the best at West. We did not have but a few "super" athletes, but we ALWAYS played together as a Team. We picked each other up at game time and in practice. The same Team the year before in 89' was 7-3. You say what is great about that? We lost to Ironton..which won the state title, we lost to Burg 21-20.(Had a 20-7 lead at halftime at Burg) and Burg won the state, and we lost a barn burner to Waverly which lost in the playoffs. I love my Siders and wish them well. If they believe, and they play as a team with intensity they can overcome. If they stand around a pose for pictures, let the press go to their heads, stand around on the sidelines with their helmets laying on the ground then they will walk to the locker room put up the pads and for some never put them on again. Good luck to the 08' Team, And I will always be proud to have played for the 90' Team.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

good info you wont be able to sell it though after knocking off the burg ``which IS a good team`` :mrgreen:

DaRecGuy
Freshman Team

Post by DaRecGuy »

I would say this question can be answered better in about 5 weeks, but as for now I would say the 90 team was pretty darn good. The biggest difference I see is the defense for this years team is probably the best I have seen. Brian Howell was by far the best QB to play at West and along with Book and Arnett formed a pretty mean passing attack. The 02 team was probably the most balanced offensively of the three and had SPEED in the backfield. This years team plays their style of football and plays it well, but I think they will have to be able to stretch the field at some point in the playoffs. One of the biggest things this years team has on defense is Pendelton is probably the smartest high school player I have seen at LB. If you just sit and watch him pre-snap he usually is pointing out where the play is going and letting the other players know also. You can tell he has been brought up around the game and knows it backward and foward. He has to spend hours a week watching film. When it is all said and done he might be one of the best to ever come out of West if he keeps up the hard work in the weight room also. I can't argue with results though and to be State Runner-Up is NO easy task so until one team makes it that far the O2 team will have the bragging rights.

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

Hey I know people will question what I said about the area teams. And as far as bragging rights you are right about the 02' Team being runner ups. Burg is a good team, they are not a great Team. Do you think that this Burg Team is the best ever? Do you think this Burg team is even one of the top 3 Burg teams ever? I am not taking anything away from them they are good and they play hard, just saying the level of the normal top teams in the area is not where it has been from year to year. The people that disagree with that don't watch much football around these parts. The question is which Sider Team is the best. It would have to be the 90' team we were the only one of the 3 to be called Siders......Ha ha. I agree on Trevon Pendleton as far as him posibly being one of the best ever. He is just a sophomore. He has alot of work ahead of him. He is already a stud. I feel sorry for defensive backs the next 2 years. That would be a nightmare. It is a fun topic that has been bouncing around for years. People talk about the Terry Gardner days, the mid 80's, the 90 team, 02' Team, and now the 08' Team. Styles of football are different. Hey our supplements were Biscuits and Gravy not whey protein. 1 thing I disagree with Coach T on is when he has gotten a lead throughout the season he should have passed..passed....and passed some more. Undoubtedly at some point we are going to need it on a journey in the playoffs. That was something that the 90' Team did, and did alot of.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

i am partial to the top 4 qualifiers of the 80`s and early 90`s :mrgreen:

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

The 02' Team would not have made they playoffs at 8-2. We were 9-0 going into the Burg game in 90' and were not sure we would get in until after that game... They only took 4 teams back in the day, people need to remember that.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

thats right :mrgreen:

kylecompton21
Waterboy

Post by kylecompton21 »

Thankfully one of my former high school coaches was a member of the 90 team and showed us tapes from his days. I think the 90 and 08 team are alot in common in the type of players they had. Both teams beat you on and off the score board. The 02 team was a burner. On a dry, fast field "I" think the 02 team could have out run the others. But once it gets sloppy that plays into the others hands. As fast/good as the 02 version of the 3HM (Lens,Williams,Cantrell) was, im not sure they could win without 100% perfect conditions. The 90 vs 08 team would be a great game. Likely would come down to a coin toss, or "old school" vs "new school" tastes in teams. I think I still have my "10-0" west t-shirt at my parents house.

westside_rebel
Riding the Bench

Post by westside_rebel »

90 team was something special. Anytime you go 10-0 in a season, beat Burg and Ironton...enough said. BUT, they couldn't get the Ironton win when it matter and got theirs handed to them in the playoffs. I went to all 11 games and I still compare alot football to this team. I would have to say the 1990's team is up there, but the 02 team got to the final game of the season. And well, we'll just have to continue this at the close of this season...08 is still being played and right now, they are something special too.

Let's Gooooo SIDERS!!!!!

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

It's just nice to be able to talk about great teams from West. Would be nice if there was a Madden High school game for Playstation....lol Then we could settle it once and for all!

jumpstart
Riding the Bench

Post by jumpstart »

The 90 team was something special. We were a primary passing team that year with a pretty solid defense. beating Ironton 14-0 at the tank that year and the team getting to go to Willmington to watch the bengals foot ball camp are the things that realy stick out about that year. The 02 team had an explosive offense with a decent defense. This 08 team has a great offense and defense. It would come down to the 90 team and the 08 team while the 08 team has more stand out players than the 90 team had they would fall to passing attack the 90 team had IMO. With that being said the one thing all 3 teams have in common are great offensive lines and that's the building block of any stand out team.

earp
S

Post by earp »

I'm sorry,The 02 team made it to the show!That makes them the best no matter what! ;-)What youre team does this year is a work in progress!If they make it there then you can compare!The 1990 team was good too,Fairland's DB's got dizzy up here in Proctorvegas that year! :lol:

West_Sider
Freshman Team

Post by West_Sider »

I was on the 1990 team. I watched every down of the 2002 team. Of the three, the 2002 team was the best. Neither the 1990 team or the 2008 team would have went undefeated had they played as tough of a regular season schedule as the 2002 team played in the regular season. Coshocton (11-1 Playoffs 2nd round), Russell (KY State Football Championship Final), Portsmouth (12-1 Regional Finalist 3rd round) and Wheelersburg.

I tend to think that the best West Team ever was I think in 1985. That was the team that someone mentioned was 9-1 and didnt make the playoffs because of a 10 game loss to the Portsmouth Trojans and one Boomer Reed. Bart Evans and Tim Mershon and a load of other great Sider players on the team.

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

It's nice to be humble West_Sider, but you need to represent. Being on the 90' Team myself I would have to say that it would have been hard for either the 02' Team or the 08' Team to have stopped our pasing attack. Look what Kenton did to them. I know Ben Mauk was a phenom, but just saying. How many teams has either faced that threw the ball as well as we did? I believe that would have been the differnce and would leveled the field. m/o

West_Sider
Freshman Team

Post by West_Sider »

Well, the 2002 team did stop Youngstown Ursuline in the passing game that year. And their QB Daryl Clark has had a pretty good year at Penn St. Even though Ursuline was a balanced offensively, Clark, Irrizary, and their WR were formitable. West held them to 7 points.

I agree that the 1990 Delta Force (remember those shirts?) passing attack would have been very tough for any team to slow down. Losing Gump early in the year, and a lack of a great running back kept that team from winning the contest hands down.

The schedule's of the 1990 team and the 2008 team are very similar. Stats from the team are similar except for the passing game. 1990 passing was unbelievable. 2008 rushing is crazy with what I call the "4 headed monster" including Bricker.

1990 West

Ironton W 14-0
South Point W 49-20
Fairland W 21-7
Valley W 48-0
Waverly W 21-0
Northwest W 32-7 (Do we all remember Bruce Strickland.)
Columbus Werhle W 28-0
Minford W 33-0
Wheelersburg W 28-15
East W 35-0

309 points for. 49 points against.

This team played 2 teams that went to the playoffs. (However, they only took 4 teams from each region back in these days.)

This team received the #1 seed in 1990 in their region.

This team had one team from regular season advance to the second round of the playoffs.

2008 West

Fairland W 21-0
Portsmouth W 34-0
South Point W 28-7
Rock Hill W 42-6
Chesapeake W 49-20
Northwest W 57-0
Waverly W 49-0
Minford W 28-6
Valley W 43-0
Wheelersburg W 14-7

365 points for. 46 points against.

This team played 2 teams in the regular season that went to the playoffs.

This team received the #1 seed in their region.

This team will have one team who at least advances to the second round of the playoffs.

West 2002

Fairland W 59-0
8/30 A Huntington W 42-6
9/6 A Portsmouth L 18-27
9/13 H Rock Hill W 42-14
9/20 A Waverly W 49-7
9/27 H Northwest W 45-0
10/4 A Russell (KY W 28-14
10/11 A Minford W 38-0
10/18 H Wheelersburg W 33-13
10/25 H Coshocton L 20-34

374 points for. 115 against

This team played 4 teams in the regular season that went to the playoffs.

This team received the #7 seed in their region.

This team had 1 team in their regular season schedul advance to the Regional Final.

This team had 1 team who advanced to the second round of the playoffs.

This team had 1 team who played for the Kentucky State Championship.

Just some information to take a look at. And talk about.

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

We played EAST that year? I must have been knocked silly or something? i don't remember them on the schedule in 90;

West_Sider
Freshman Team

Post by West_Sider »

Played East in1989,1990, & 1991 as part of a 3 game series. Won 35-22, 35-0, and 34-8

jumpstart
Riding the Bench

Post by jumpstart »

East was our week 10 game in the 90 season

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

Post by NICKNEVADA »

My last game as a Tartan, we ran well and did well against the run, but Brian was like Randall Cunningham.

Return to “Football”