SIDER or SENATOR?

thesmokinglens
Freshman Team

SIDER or SENATOR?

Post by thesmokinglens »

Someone school me on this please. When we played West back in ... 97, it seemed like they were called "The Siders", but now it's Senators? What's the story on this? Thanks in advance. Is it the same thing as where some people just call Coal Grove "Coal Grove" and other say "Dawson-Bryant"? Help me out.

BOBBY
Riding the Bench

Re: SIDER or SENATOR?

Post by BOBBY »

Smokinglens,

The high school of Portsmouth West has always been the Senators. This is their official nickname, I am not from there, but I believe from their beginning. Over the years they have more and more been known by the Siders, because of the West Side thing.

Hope this helps.

thesmokinglens
Freshman Team

Post by thesmokinglens »

Much appreciated. Figured that could've been the case, but wasn't sure.

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

Back in the day West was known as The Washington Senators, or Washington Township. West has always been the Senators. Back in the 80's a teacher at West pushed for the players to be called the Siders and it was unofficially accepted. The kids and the fans loved it. It was more fitting for the residents then to be called a politician type. The current superintendant doesn't want anything to do with "Siders" so they are not allowed to use the term on any uniforms or logos. If you are at any of the games you will hear the cheers ffrom the "older" crowd yelling go Siders! I like it better it means more to me. It is simple yet original. Schools from other areas would always ask what is a sider? After the game win or lose they always knew.... Atleast we are not the Polka "DOTS"

earp
S

Post by earp »

I think they should change their name to the "Fighting Briar Patchers"! :lol:

Riverrat Tiger
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrat Tiger »

Well, the Super is just kidding himself. The have, will and always be the Siders! I have several friends from West and I don't even think they say Senator in front of McCain or Obama. LOL

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

i think that would be "poca" dots

thesmokinglens
Freshman Team

Post by thesmokinglens »

Ironically, we played them too... but that wasn't until my senior year.

DaRecGuy
Freshman Team

Post by DaRecGuy »

To heck with "the puppets," were SIDERS 4 LIFE!!!

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

polka poca whatever... How intimidating is that? Look out people here come your 2008 "dots"........ I mean cmon lions, tigers, bears....but dots?

BOBBY
Riding the Bench

Post by BOBBY »

Westsider1993,

I am just wondering how/why you seem to be stuck on that when the subject of this thread concerns what is the nickname of Portsmouth West? Why bash another school that is not even in your state?

Just wondering.

all-time athlete
JV Team

Post by all-time athlete »

earp wrote:I think they should change their name to the "Fighting Briar Patchers"! :lol:

West may go there to fight but it still belongs to old northwest grads from midnight to dawn! :lol: :lol: :lol:

earp
S

Post by earp »

Can I get a chicken leg so I can watch the brawl! :lol:Hey and don't make fun of the Dots,Back to back to back state titles in 01,02 and 03! ;-)

http://www.pocafootball.com/

West_Sider
Freshman Team

Post by West_Sider »

I have to admit. When I think of smash mouth football,.... the last thing that comes to mind is ......................poca dots. Not flamin, just explainin.

Westsider1993
JV Team

Post by Westsider1993 »

Hey Bobby... Can I have a glass of High quality H2O? aRE YOU DA WA WA WA WATER BOY? I was replying to a poster that got on to me about spelling of Poca. And I was only using them as an example of nicknames. Go back to your soccer forum if you don't like it.

kylecompton21
Waterboy

Post by kylecompton21 »

Sider, but most of the oldies get offended by it.

westside_rebel
Riding the Bench

Post by westside_rebel »

I'm a SIDER and I've got my WEST SIDE PRIDE!!!

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

Westsider1993 wrote:Hey Bobby... Can I have a glass of High quality H2O? aRE YOU DA WA WA WA WATER BOY? I was replying to a poster that got on to me about spelling of Poca. And I was only using them as an example of nicknames. Go back to your soccer forum if you don't like it.

didnt mean to come off like i was getting on anyone... just making a correction that all.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

i think would be interesting to hear bout all area schools and where there nicknames come from

falcon1
Varsity

Post by falcon1 »

I`d say right now, you could just call them Winners !!

Return to “Football”