Waterboy

Re: Round 2 Wheelersburg vs. Liberty Union at Jackson

Post by 6886 »

:lol: :-D

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

As a nuetral fan at this game. I also thought Burg let them stay around to long. Way to many missed chances. Wheelersburg burnt their Dbacks all night but the QB looked like he wasn't looking deep. Some of the receivers were 10yds past any defender on a regular basis.
I also thought they should have put up at least 21pts in the first half. They should have also score on their opening 2nd half series after LU special teams bludder(sp)on the opening 2nd half kick-off.

I thought when LU held them the momentum changed. I started to notice that Wheelersburg pursuit wasn't like it was in the 1st half. Also their tackling wasn't as good as it was in the 1st half. JMO I thought they just wore out.

It was a very good defensive game by both teams. LU offense got untracked and wore down Wheelersburg thus the scores.

Congrats to Wheelersburg on a fine season.

Congrats to LU as you move on.
Last edited by GAHS7462 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Congrats to LU on the victory. Like was said earlier, Burg let LU stick around and they finally took advantage of it.

Congrats to the Pirates on another fine season. Congrats and thanks to the Seniors who played there last game as a Pirate. Sad thing about it is that this is the second year in a row that the Burg lost a game they could have won.

If the radio was right, Burg had 12 yards of offense in the second half.

12 YARDS. That is uncalled for. You can't try and set on a 7 point lead and expect your defense to win the game for you when your defense spends most of the second half on the field. Saw it the last 7 years and this year was no different.

Like was also said above, Craigmiles gets one touch on offense all night and it was a play up the middle where you completely take away his best asset, his speed. I haven't understood why the young man hasn't been returning kicks all year and than lo and behold, when Burg got down, who do they put back there? No. 22 and of course they kick away from him. Talked to one of the LU coaches and he was amazed that Craigmiles wasn't used more also. Hopefully he will be used to his full abilities next year.

Burg players have nothing to be ashamed of. They played to the best of their abilities and left it all on the field. Just amazed at some of the playcalling. Two that really stick out are the fake FG and the fake punt. IMO, on the fake FG, they should have either left the offense on the field and go for it or they should have let him try and kick it. You are asking a player that hasn't ran the ball all year to try and run about 11-12 yards and pick up a first down. On the fake punt towards the end of the game, come on Burg coaches, did you not think they knew something was up when they called timeout? That play has ran its course and should probably be shelved for awhile.

GAHS7462
All Conference

Post by GAHS7462 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:Congrats to LU on the victory. Like was said earlier, Burg let LU stick around and they finally took advantage of it.

Congrats to the Pirates on another fine season. Congrats and thanks to the Seniors who played there last game as a Pirate. Sad thing about it is that this is the second year in a row that the Burg lost a game they could have won.

12 YARDS. That is uncalled for. You can't try and set on a 7 point lead and expect your defense to win the game for you when your defense spends most of the second half on the field. Saw it the last 7 years and this year was no different.

Like was also said above, Craigmiles gets one touch on offense all night and it was a play up the middle where you completely take away his best asset, his speed. I haven't understood why the young man hasn't been returning kicks all year and than lo and behold, when Burg got down, who do they put back there? No. 22 and of course they kick away from him. Talked to one of the LU coaches and he was amazed that Craigmiles wasn't used more also. Hopefully he will be used to his full abilities next year.

Burg players have nothing to be ashamed of. They played to the best of their abilities and left it all on the field. Just amazed at some of the playcalling. Two that really stick out are the fake FG and the fake punt. IMO, on the fake FG, they should have either left the offense on the field and go for it or they should have let him try and kick it. You are asking a player that hasn't ran the ball all year to try and run about 11-12 yards and pick up a first down. On the fake punt towards the end of the game, come on Burg coaches, did you not think they knew something was up when they called timeout? That play has ran its course and should probably be shelved for awhile.

Don't you think they knew even without the Burgs timeout. Heck everyone in the stadium knew they had to go for it.

Roughriderpride
Waterboy

Post by Roughriderpride »

Congrats LU from the MSL, the south didn't think that you could do it.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

What yabba is saying is that LU knew exactly what the play was going to be on the fake FG. I don't think one player went with the two Burg players that were faking the sweep. They all knew that #3 was going to keep the ball and they snuffed it out quickly. Evidently the LU coaches had seen the Burg run that play before. The Burg coaches should have put the offense back on the field and at least give them a chance at the 1st down. Same with the fake FG. Either leave your offense on and let them try to get the 4 yards of kick the FG. Letting a player that hasn't run the ball all year, and as small as he is, try to get it on a naked bootleg wasn't going to work.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

GAHS7462 wrote:
yabbadabbadoo wrote:Congrats to LU on the victory. Like was said earlier, Burg let LU stick around and they finally took advantage of it.

Don't you think they knew even without the Burgs timeout. Heck everyone in the stadium knew they had to go for it.

Burg didn't call timeout on the fake punt, LU did. They knew exactly what was coming and the Burg player didn't even get out of his stance. It has worked about 3-4 times over the last 7 years, but I think it is time to put it to rest.

No doubt everyone in the stadium knew they had to go for it, but when LU called the TO, Burg should have sent there offense back out and just went for it that way. Same thing with the fake FG. Just line up the offense and go for it.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

Woodwards learning. Hes learning. I hope he has learned alot with the team he is going to have next year. Who is helping him in coaching? Do we have any burgites helping him through the sked and the playoffs that have actually played? What i mean is, I know Kaskey is in the fieldbox, but who else that has been in the playoffs for Burg, 16 times on my count, is helping a man running this team and trying to get the Burg to the reg finals if not the FInals? It comes down to good plays vs bad ones. Gunning a team when they are down. Beating them when they are down. Doing what works until it DOESNT WORK. Thats what I am talking about. Lu won the game. And they deserved it with the way they played the Qb in the 2nd half. Someone needs to go back to Ed Miller football and do what does you the best till you get beat at it. Then try something else. Stegman could have been the man of the year all night long. This was the team we could throw to him all night long and in the 1st half it showed but we shyed away, for some reason. B shank couldnt hit him on one throw, and the defender made a great one foot stab for an interception. They didnt convert and we should have came right back with the same play.

bigdaddyblitz
Riding the Bench

Post by bigdaddyblitz »

Congratulations Lions! You boys have hung in there and beaten two higher seeded teams. Especially with Schooler (starting ILB) being out and then his back-up hurting his ankle on the first play! The veteran Lions coaching staff made some fine adjustments(both personell wise and play-wise) and they worked. The QB sweep, waggle and toss are all examples.
I believe the Wheelersburg staff showed their lack of experince. Johnson has been at the helm for 23 years at LU and Owens the DC has been there at his side since day one. It was apparent tonight , I thought. The young Qb did what he could do, but it looked like they were asking too much from his young arm. Anyways, geat job by both teams. I'll tell you this:LU hasn't been smacked in the mouth like they were by your defense. It was incredible. They looked like midgets out there, but man were they tough! Our big boys couldnt block them.Thats where I thought the sprint out and three steps passes were a great adjustment. They didnt ask those big linemen to try and create a pocket, b/c it just wasnt happening.
COngratulations on a fine season Wheelersburg. Keep it going Lions! LION PRIDE!

bigdaddyblitz
Riding the Bench

Post by bigdaddyblitz »

demaniac1 wrote:Stegman could have been the man of the year all night long. This was the team we could throw to him all night long and in the 1st half it showed but we shyed away, for some reason. B shank couldnt hit him on one throw, and the defender made a great one foot stab for an interception. They didnt convert and we should have came right back with the same play.

I agree. My Dad and I, and some friends were standing right along the fence and we were a nervous wreck. I know he had trouble getting the ball deep, but man, 32 AND 2 were past our safties all night long.I told my Dad on the way home that had Wheelersburg had an lder, more experienced QB, we wouldve lost that game. I think thats what made a big difference with our offense, Mix took control and made things happen.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I'm still scratching my head over the fake punt by Burg. LU didn't even send anyone deep and Burg still lines up in punt formation when everyone in the stadium knew they had to go for it. If they had 2 or 3 timeouts left, then maybe. But with 2:30 left in the game and only one timeout, you're not fooling anyone.

But in the end, the game never should have got to that point as Burg let LU hang around all night and never put them away.*

footballfan49
Riding the Bench

Post by footballfan49 »

Congratulations to Burg on a fine season.

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

As I stated on the West post..........not the outcome we were all hoping for, but a great season by Burg...........congratulations!

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

Congrats to all the players and coaches on a great season......

boilermaker
SE

Post by boilermaker »

I thought # 32 was open deep all night, so on the way out I was talking with my wife .I told her that and A guy from wheelersburg said that #7 couldnt get it to him. I was baffled why he was running deep routs if they wasnt going to throw it to him . He was not used enough the Burg should have put this game away in the first half throwing the ball. JMO

Great season Burg :!:

lovin' football
Waterboy

Post by lovin' football »

I agree with the other posters, the play calling in this game left a lot to be desired. Same old, same old. Including Craigmiles on the sidelines when his speed is needed on the field for offense. He had one touch on offense. Sent right up the middle and still managed 3 yards on the carry.

There are several others who play both sides of the ball. Why not Craigmiles? Let him have some odds on getting the ball out of the pack. No one can catch him when he gets in the open.

I heard 3 different groups of fans last night chanting "Craigmiles" while the offense was ineffective at moving the ball in the 4th quarter. Coach Woodward, why did Craigmiles remain on the sidelines?? If you have an explanation, the fans would really like to know what it is. I have been a fan of Burg football for over 20 years. I have never before heard the crowd yell for a particular player to put into a game.

Craigmiles has consistently been a playmaker on defense. He had some great plays last night. Don't you think he could be a play maker on offense too? The fans sure think so!

Congrats to the Burg players. Tremendous effort and a great year!

RiverRat
Waterboy

Post by RiverRat »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:First off, congrats to the Pirates on another great season. 10-2 and the 2nd round of the playoffs is exceptional considering their starting QB went out in game #1 and they were really young with I think only 5 seniors that played consistently. They should be right back in the thick of things again next season.

Now, can someone please explain to me why the coaching staff refuses to use Tyler Craigmiles on offense. One touch the entire game, and that was between the tackles which was stupid. This kid is one of the fastest, if not THE fastest on the team and they don't run one toss sweep to him to throw him the ball once??????? I just don't understand that. I know Andy Stegman is a heck of a reciever, but he can't do it all by himself. Those 8 to 10 yard routes were open all night, but yet they continue to choose to throw 25+ yard routes with a QB that doesn't have the arm strentgh yet to throw it that far with accuracy.

I don't blame the kids one bit for this loss tonight. They played their tails off tonight and gave it everything they had. I blame the coaches for piss poor play calling and no adjustments in the second half. LU came out in the second half and you could see they made some adjustments on both offense and defense. They started running wide since the Burg was shutting down the middle and they started throwing 7 and 8 yard passes to move the chains. Very smart coaching on their part. The Burg could have done the same all night but instead try 25+ yarders that were either picked or just knocked down. Those short passes were there the entire first half since LU was playing 10 men in the box, so why not use them instead of the long ball.

When your offense only gets one first down their first three possesions on the 2nd half then the defense is on the field too much and LU finally wore them down. It looked like Tony Lewis was still on the sidelines trying to set on a 7-0 lead and it came back and bit them in the a$$. I told my brother that when they didn't get anything after the onsides kick recovery that we were in trouble and we were.

Good luck to LU next week against Ready. If Ready shut down a very physical West team then you guys will have your hands full.

I have to agree with you burg grad. When you have someone on the sideline with the speed and talent that Craigmiles has and here he is on the sideline the entire game on offense. Why is this coach???? Can you give us an answer????

From the very first play of the game I hear fans yelling for Craigmiles to be on the field. Playmakers need to be on the field coach!!!!! You give him the ball 1 time the entire game on a run up the middle???? Check the stats coach. Yards per touch, touchdowns per touch. Then explain to us why you didn't use him more on offense.

How long does it take to figure out what your doing isn't working??? Too long apparently because you didn't figure it out the entire game. Calling the same plays over and over the entire game, no adjustments and the fake FG and Punt calls?? Brilliant!!!!!!

These young men have nothing to hang their heads about. They left it all on the field (when they were on it) and played their hearts out and deserve to be playing next week. I would like to thank each and every player on the team for all their hard work and determination on and off the field. Congrats to the seniors on a great season!!! Its just sad that your season has ended this way, knowing you were the better team on the field last night. You were out coached!!!!

JoeGatto
JV Team

Post by JoeGatto »

RiverRat...although both teams were fairly evenly matched, the better team won the game last night. Too many excuses from the Burg faithfully just like the NY people. I guess Liberty Union better just quit because they haven't been and aren't better than any team in this regional (even though they are now 2-0 in the playoffs against higher seeded teams).

While I agree that the Burg receivers were behind the Lion defenders all night, keep this in mind...LU knew that Wheelersburg was not going to throw deep (and obvsiously weren't capable of it...nothing against the QB, he was just young and not strong enough yet to throw the deep ball). So there was no need to cover the defenders 30/40 yards down field.

lovin' football
Waterboy

Post by lovin' football »

FrozenRope9 wrote:RiverRat...although both teams were fairly evenly matched, the better team won the game last night. Too many excuses from the Burg faithfully just like the NY people. I guess Liberty Union better just quit because they haven't been and aren't better than any team in this regional (even though they are now 2-0 in the playoffs against higher seeded teams).

While I agree that the Burg receivers were behind the Lion defenders all night, keep this in mind...LU knew that Wheelersburg was not going to throw deep (and obvsiously weren't capable of it...nothing against the QB, he was just young and not strong enough yet to throw the deep ball). So there was no need to cover the defenders 30/40 yards down field.

Frozen Rope. That is just the point. The young team does have limitations and the coaching staff must use the best options available to them to win the game. The Burg fans simply felt the coaching staff could have and should have made better decisions, made better calls and used the Burg talent more effectively. We just didn't see the Burg players used in the best possible positions. The outcome was a surprise and a disappointment to the fans and I am sure to the players.

Burg fans are and will always be extremely proud of this team. They left it all on the field - within the limitations of what the coaches allowed.

RiverRat
Waterboy

Post by RiverRat »

The better team did not win!!!!!!!! The better coaching staff won!!!!!!

Return to “Football”